• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Make Cheesy Potatoes in the Microwave? Success!

In summary, a group of individuals discuss various recipes for cheesy potatoes and a sweet dessert called Sopapilla Cheesecake. The conversation includes tips and alterations to the original recipes, as well as a discussion about different types of cream of soup and the use of red onions instead of regular onions in the cheesy potatoes. They also discuss the name of the dish, which is known as funeral potatoes in UT.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
A little background:

I have been asked to make cheesy potatoes for my nephew's Grad. Open House this Saturday, and also for my niece's next Friday....
The temps here are going to be record highs - near 90 (that's hot for here, especially in early June!) and I don't want to have my oven on for an hour or more making potatoes....

So, I just made them in the microwave, in the DDB, to see how they would turn out. It worked! They are wonderful - crispy around the edges, and cheesy gooey all the way through! (Yes, I'm eating them for breakfast!:D :chef: )

This comes from a church cookbook - but I have, of course, altered it to make me happy!:balloon:

Cheesy Potatoes

2 lbs frozen hashbrowns
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
4 Tbls. butter, melted
8 oz. Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 pint sour cream

Combine all ingredients except butter, and spread in 9x13 baking dish (I used the DDB) Drizzle melted butter over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (or 30 minutes in the microwave on high)

Wow! Thanks for this! I will have to add it to my microwave recipes!

We make this one for family parties all the time.

MMMMMMMM, sounds kinda like the ones I make. I put on a butter and crushed corn flakes topping. Wonder how that would do in the micro?? I'm going to have to experiment myself!

Another recipeYours sounds good! I'll have to try it!

Here's one I've been working with.

Sopapilla Cheesecake

Ingredients:

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
2 (8 oz) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (combine about 1/2 cup sugar with 1 TBS cinnamon)

1) Using a greased 9x13 baking pan, unroll one package of refrigerated crescent rolls and line the bottom of the pan.
2) Flatten.
3) Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and extract.
4) Spread over the crescent rolls.
5) Unroll the other can of crescent rolls and place on top of cream cheese mixture.
6) Pour one stick of melted butter or margarine over the top and sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
7) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I've been adding an egg to the cream cheese mixture--and using our sweet cinnamon sprinkles for the recipe with vanilla flavoring. And then use the sweet carmel sprinkles, I'm using the almond flavoring. They really are good--and easy--even if I do have to turn the oven on.
Tastes great warm--not as good just out of the oven.

Sorry to tempt you with calorie laden sweets so early in the morning.

Enjoy--Kathy

ChefBeckyD said:
This comes from a church cookbook - but I have, of course, altered it to make me happy!:balloon:

Cheesy Potatoes

2 lbs frozen hashbrowns
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
4 Tbls. butter, melted
8 oz. Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 pint sour cream

Combine all ingredients except butter, and spread in 9x13 baking dish (I used the DDB) Drizzle melted butter over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (or 30 minutes in the microwave on high)

In UT these are called funeral potatoes. They are at every funeral lunch.

ChefBeckyD said:
This comes from a church cookbook - but I have, of course, altered it to make me happy! :balloon:

Two questions...

1. Did you change the onions to red? My recipe calls for regular onion, but I think the red would be better, so I figured that was one of your changes!

2. Could I substitute a different cream of soup? DH can't stand mushrooms, and even the tiny ones in there he has a fit about!

KellyTheChef said:
Two questions...

1. Did you change the onions to red? My recipe calls for regular onion, but I think the red would be better, so I figured that was one of your changes!

2. Could I substitute a different cream of soup? DH can't stand mushrooms, and even the tiny ones in there he has a fit about!

Yep! to both of your questions!

Here are the changes I made:

Switched the onions to red.

Subbed Mushroom soup for Cream of Chicken.

Cut the butter in half. (the original recipe called for a whole stick!)

Subbed Sharp Cheddar for Mild. I like the stronger cheese flavor - especially with the red onion.

Oh my goodness! I can't wait to try this. I might have to have DH stop at the store on his way home from work. It would be great to go along with the cube steaks I am making.

Did you take out all the calories too?:)

I make something similar, only we use cold mashed potatoes, green onions, chives, and bacon bites as well as the other stuff. YUM YUM.

quiltchef said:
Yours sounds good! I'll have to try it!

Here's one I've been working with.

Sopapilla Cheesecake

Ingredients:

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
2 (8 oz) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (combine about 1/2 cup sugar with 1 TBS cinnamon)

1) Using a greased 9x13 baking pan, unroll one package of refrigerated crescent rolls and line the bottom of the pan.
2) Flatten.
3) Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and extract.
4) Spread over the crescent rolls.
5) Unroll the other can of crescent rolls and place on top of cream cheese mixture.
6) Pour one stick of melted butter or margarine over the top and sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
7) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I've been adding an egg to the cream cheese mixture--and using our sweet cinnamon sprinkles for the recipe with vanilla flavoring. And then use the sweet carmel sprinkles, I'm using the almond flavoring. They really are good--and easy--even if I do have to turn the oven on.
Tastes great warm--not as good just out of the oven.

Sorry to tempt you with calorie laden sweets so early in the morning.

Enjoy--Kathy

Oh please do not get me started on these again!!! I put on about 10lbs last year because of them! I made myself loose the recipe LOL!!! Ok I'm a grown up... I do have controll of myself!

Becky... Glad to know the cheesy potatoes can be done in the Microwave! Thanks!

We make these in the crock pot more than we make them in the oven. They turn out great!!

Oh and I used cream of chicken soup.

JoLynn

These sound awesome! Does anyone know if you added the cornflake/butter topping how much of each you'd use and when you'd put the topping on? At the beginning of the cooking time, near the end?

I've got some in the oven right now!! Can't wait, they look so good.

Thank you for sharing this!! We make the Cheesy Potatoes all the time, but never even thought to put them in the DCB in the micro!! What a time saver too!! Thanks so much! I may have to make them for dinner!! :)

Hey!
Save me a bite!!!

I do the cornflakes on my macaroni and cheese. The recipe calls 2 tbs. of melted margarine and 2 cups of crushed corn flakes and you put it on top before you bake it.

Related to Can You Make Cheesy Potatoes in the Microwave? Success!

What is a "Recipe Experiment - Success!"?

A "Recipe Experiment - Success!" is a cooking demonstration hosted by a Pampered Chef consultant to showcase the versatility and ease of use of our products. During this event, guests will learn how to make a variety of dishes using our high-quality kitchen tools and have the opportunity to purchase any products they are interested in.

How do I find a "Recipe Experiment - Success!" event near me?

You can find a "Recipe Experiment - Success!" event near you by contacting your local Pampered Chef consultant. They will have information on upcoming events in your area and can also help you schedule your own event if you are interested in hosting one.

Do I need to bring anything to a "Recipe Experiment - Success!" event?

No, you do not need to bring anything to a "Recipe Experiment - Success!" event. All necessary ingredients and cooking tools will be provided by the consultant hosting the event. However, if you have a favorite apron or kitchen towel, you are welcome to bring it along.

Can I request a specific dish or recipe to be featured at the event?

Yes, you can request a specific dish or recipe to be featured at a "Recipe Experiment - Success!" event. Simply let the consultant know your request when scheduling the event and they will do their best to accommodate it.

Is there a cost to attend a "Recipe Experiment - Success!" event?

No, there is no cost to attend a "Recipe Experiment - Success!" event. These events are completely free and are designed to be a fun and informative way to learn about our products and try out new recipes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• TinasKitchen
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
flemings99
  • Lisa/ChefBear