• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can a The Pampered Chef stone be saved from washing with a green sponge?

In summary, the green on the friend's stone is most likely from particles from the green kitchen sponge that got washed off and into the stone. The stone can still be used, but she should avoid using a scrubber until it is seasoned. The best way to clean it is to soak it in baking soda and water, then scrub with a brush.
Sheila
Gold Member
A friend told me that her husband washed her stone with a green kitchen sponge. Now the stone is green. She's convinced it's ruined. I've not had my hands on it to see if it's just particles of the sponge that need to be washed off.

Anybody experience this before who can tell me if it's ruined or something that can be saved?

The warranty is still valid. If it's ruined is that something that the warranty would cover?

I've done that myself with a new stone. Tell her not to worry and to keep using it. After several more uses it will season and the green will go away.

Now I tell people that while it won't "hurt" it they should avoid using that kind of scrubber until it's seasoned.

I use those on my seasoned stones all the time.

Tell her to try a baking soda and water paste. Let it sit for a while, then scrub with it. I used a green scratch pad on my small round stone, and it left a nasty green cast to it. It has now worn off...but that's with A LOT of use and cleaning!

Not sure what HO would say about it...

Somebody needs some training:)

Thanks ladies! I think cleaning it would be her best bet. I may ask her to bring it to me and see if I can get it clean. My husband tried to dry my stone with a blue towel and it had some blue lint on it. A quick wash removed the particles.

In reference to the "training" comment, I agree! I told my husband anything he ruins, he gets to pay to replace. LOL He knows I'm serious, so he is constantly asking me what he can & can't put into the dishwasher.

I second the baking soda paste idea.

Sheesh - a guy can't win. First we get into trouble for not helping with the dishes, then we get in trouble for helping with the dishes.Until a stone is seasoned, hot water and a brush is about all you can use. Once seasoned, even detergents run right off. I agree with Kelly about the baking soda paste - that is amazing for getting cra...er...stuff off stones.I have a friend who cannot use stones at all - she's married to a clean freak, one of those guys who washes his hands like a surgeon, several times a day. The idea of seasoning something is beyond his capabilities of concept. He ruined Grandma's cast iron frying pan by washing, scraping and grinding off decades of seasoning. (I told her she should have hit him over the head with it.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sheesh - a guy can't win. First we get into trouble for not helping with the dishes, then we get in trouble for helping with the dishes.

Until a stone is seasoned, hot water and a brush is about all you can use. Once seasoned, even detergents run right off. I agree with Kelly about the baking soda paste - that is amazing for getting cra...er...stuff off stones.

I have a friend who cannot use stones at all - she's married to a clean freak, one of those guys who washes his hands like a surgeon, several times a day. The idea of seasoning something is beyond his capabilities of concept. He ruined Grandma's cast iron frying pan by washing, scraping and grinding off decades of seasoning. (I told her she should have hit him over the head with it.)

Ummm - that would be hard to handle. I'd banish him from the kitchen forever!:mad:

ChefBeckyD said:
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
...He ruined Grandma's cast iron frying pan by washing, scraping and grinding off decades of seasoning. (I told her she should have hit him over the head with it.)
Ummm - that would be hard to handle. I'd banish him from the kitchen forever!:mad:

Oh! I bet she was furious!!!

ETA: Becky, most men would love to be banished from the kitchen! LOL I bet it would be punishment for this particular man ... LOL

I had green on mine one time b/c I did it a litle without thinking. I thought iI had it turned to the other side. I soaked it in baking soda and it came out.

On husbands and PC washing, they can be trained!! Mine has pretty muched learned what he can wash how and he has for sure learned to ask if in doubt! Or he will put it aside for me to do if I am not around at the moment.

They can be trained, but then they slip up. Mine just melted two Quickstir Pitchers by putting them on the bottom rack and then running the regular cycle (didn't turn the heat off). WAAAHHHH!!!!

Yeah, I thought my DH would remember about the stones but then I got a VERY clean mini-baker in the dish drainer. What I do now is right after our meal, I'll put away leftovers and quickly clean the stone. That way if DH is feeling helpful and wants to do the dishes, he can... but the stones are already done. ;)

DebbieJ said:
They can be trained, but then they slip up.

Mine just melted two Quickstir Pitchers by putting them on the bottom rack and then running the regular cycle (didn't turn the heat off). WAAAHHHH!!!!

My step-sister did that to both my Quickstir Pitchers when she lived with me too! I was FURIOUS!

She was also nice enough to wash my Ice Cream Scoop in the dishwasher. I replaced it and she left the 2nd one soaking in a glass of water overnight. :rolleyes:

- - - - -

Thanks everyone! I'll get her to bring it over & I'll try the baking soda trick first. If it doesn't work, I'll harass HO & see if they will replace it.

I did the same thing to my muffin stone... the blue isn't all the way off, but the more the stone seasons, the less the blue is visable.

Sheila said:
A friend told me that her husband washed her stone with a green kitchen sponge. Now the stone is green. She's convinced it's ruined. I've not had my hands on it to see if it's just particles of the sponge that need to be washed off.

Anybody experience this before who can tell me if it's ruined or something that can be saved?

The warranty is still valid. If it's ruined is that something that the warranty would cover?
I've washed my stones with sponges on occassion (just wasn't thinking, and out of habit grabbed the sponge) I've never turned any stone green nor have I had any problems. But I also only use a sponge for no more than 3 weeks before I toss it and use a new one...maybe hers had critters in it? :)

However I will say that I don't own any of those dark green scouring pads or the sponges that have the dark green extra strength scouring surface on one side- I just use the light weight kitchen sponges by 3M...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sheesh - a guy can't win. First we get into trouble for not helping with the dishes, then we get in trouble for helping with the dishes.

Until a stone is seasoned, hot water and a brush is about all you can use. Once seasoned, even detergents run right off. I agree with Kelly about the baking soda paste - that is amazing for getting cra...er...stuff off stones.

I have a friend who cannot use stones at all - she's married to a clean freak, one of those guys who washes his hands like a surgeon, several times a day. The idea of seasoning something is beyond his capabilities of concept. He ruined Grandma's cast iron frying pan by washing, scraping and grinding off decades of seasoning. (I told her she should have hit him over the head with it.)
What!?!?! He WASHED the good stuff off a cast iron skillet? What is wrong with that man?!?! I suppose he paints over gorgeous woodwork too....

What is "Dh Washed Stone With a Sponge!"?

"Dh Washed Stone With a Sponge!" is a versatile kitchen tool from Pampered Chef that combines the cleaning power of a sponge with the durability and effectiveness of a stone.

How do I use "Dh Washed Stone With a Sponge!"?

Simply wet the sponge and rub it on the stone to create a gentle, yet effective cleaning solution. The stone can be used on a variety of surfaces, such as pots, pans, and countertops.

Is "Dh Washed Stone With a Sponge!" safe to use on all surfaces?

Yes, the stone is safe to use on most surfaces, including non-stick cookware and delicate surfaces like marble and granite. However, we recommend testing on a small, inconspicuous area first.

How do I clean and care for "Dh Washed Stone With a Sponge!"?

After each use, rinse the sponge and stone with warm water and let them air dry. The stone can also be cleaned in the dishwasher. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives on the stone, as it may damage the surface.

Can "Dh Washed Stone With a Sponge!" be used with other cleaning products?

Yes, the stone can be used with other cleaning products, such as dish soap or all-purpose cleaner. However, we recommend using the stone alone for the best results and avoiding harsh chemicals that may damage the stone.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
chefann
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • kdangel518