• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trying Something New: Making Micro-Cakes With Soda!

In summary, people have used soda as an ingredient in a cake mix to make micro-cakes. The combinations people have tried include white cake with diet Sunkist, chocolate cake with diet root beer, and spice cake with diet ginger ale. Toppings can include cool whip with sugar free pudding or Jell-O. Cooking methods include oven and microwave, with the latter being untried by some. A 9 x 13 cake cut into 12 pieces is 3 points per piece according to Weight Watchers.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I've read where some of you make micro-cakes just by adding a can of soda to the mix. I'm curious about this.....sounds a little weird to me....but I'm planning to give it a try.

What I want to know is what are your favorite combinations and what do they taste like? Also, is it still a cake-like texture or what? And, do you make it in the rice cooker or the fluted stone?

Thanks!

I've used a can of soda + a cake mix and baked it in the oven before. It gives it a tiny bit of a soda flavor. (I think I used coke?) But other then that, the texture was very normal!

I make these all the time in the oven, but I've never tried it in the micro-wave. I learned about this cake from Weight Watchers. 1 cake mix, 1 can of diet soda. 1 8 oz tub of cool whip mixed with 1 small package of sugar free pudding or Jell-O. A 9 x 13 cake cut into 12 pieces is 3 points a piece.

My all time favorite is a white cake with a can of diet Sunkist. Use sugar free orange Jell-O with the cool whip for the frosting. Yummy!!!! It's my husbands favorite too.

Another favorite is chocolate cake with diet root beer and use sugar free chocolate or cheesecake pudding with the cool whip.

I've heard of using a spice cake with a diet ginger ale, but I haven't tried that one yet. That one would probably also be very good with the sugar free cheesecake pudding.

jenniferlynne said:
I make these all the time in the oven, but I've never tried it in the micro-wave. I learned about this cake from Weight Watchers. 1 cake mix, 1 can of diet soda. 1 8 oz tub of cool whip mixed with 1 small package of sugar free pudding or Jell-O. A 9 x 13 cake cut into 12 pieces is 3 points a piece.

My all time favorite is a white cake with a can of diet Sunkist. Use sugar free orange Jell-O with the cool whip for the frosting. Yummy!!!! It's my husbands favorite too.

Another favorite is chocolate cake with diet root beer and use sugar free chocolate or cheesecake pudding with the cool whip.

I've heard of using a spice cake with a diet ginger ale, but I haven't tried that one yet. That one would probably also be very good with the sugar free cheesecake pudding.

You know whats so different about these choices is that if you use the pudding it will be creamy, but the Jello will give it a little tang....hmmmmm.:cool: & you cook it in the rectangle baker?

Yep, in the rectangle baker!

jenniferlynne said:

Are you using the pudding, cool whip and jello as frosting? Or IN the cake?

BethCooks4U said:
Are you using the pudding, cool whip and jello as frosting? Or IN the cake?
Thats what I wondered???? I'm a little mixed-up.(nothing new!)

ChefBeckyD said:
Thats what I wondered???? I'm a little mixed-up.(nothing new!)

I think she meant after the cake is done..you either use cool whip & jello OR cool whip & pudding....:confused:

i had a bite Sunday the host used a devils food cake and a diet dr pepper no frosting.

Teresa Lynn said:
i had a bite Sunday the host used a devils food cake and a diet dr pepper no frosting.
Was it any good? Or was one bite all you could swallow?

pamperedlinda said:
Was it any good? Or was one bite all you could swallow?

LOL...I was just thinking the same thing.......

Sorry!!!!After the cake is done and cooled, mix the pudding and/or Jell-O with the cool whip and frost.

Okay - can I use 12 ounces of bottled orange soda to do the cake? I am off to experiment...I'll let you guys know in about 20 minutes how it turns out in the microwave!

Yeah, one time when I didn't have any cans, I just measured it out of a 2-liter.

pamperedlinda said:
I've read where some of you make micro-cakes just by adding a can of soda to the mix. I'm curious about this.....sounds a little weird to me....but I'm planning to give it a try.

What I want to know is what are your favorite combinations and what do they taste like? Also, is it still a cake-like texture or what? And, do you make it in the rice cooker or the fluted stone?

Thanks!

I have made this before, I used white cake mix & diet black cherry soda, It was for last years HWC...I made it in the microwave in the Fluted Stone...It came out good, maybe a little dry, so I'm thinking of doing it again & using the topping Jenn said...

So.....I just made one using a white cake mix, and 7Up Plus (Island Fruit flavor). It is the nicest looking micro cake I've made - I am not a big fan because I've never thought they looked "good enough to eat" - but this one looks like a regular cake. I sneaked a sliver.....its a bit dry, but maybe the frosting will help.
BTW - I made it in the fluted stone.

Love this cake! Chocolate w/ Diet Berrys n cream DR. PepperI had to make this for my host a couple weekends?? ago, last minute request for closer to diabetic recipe.
Anyway its a WW idea, where I got it anyway.
This time...I made instant Sugar Free White Chocolate Pudding...for the "frosting"...EVERYONE LOVED IT! Great LOW sugar cake, and soooo moiste. I did it in the baker, havent even openned my rice cooker yet, want to try it in that, maybe?

great ideas....I'm going to try one later today.

I just want to say I have started cooking way too many desserts after subscribing to this site. There are so many wonderful ideas. I guess I'll be trying this tonight. At least I'll try the WW one so my dear hubby won't be too upset. We are trying to lose weight, but I want to cook.

caritok said:
I just want to say I have started cooking way too many desserts after subscribing to this site. There are so many wonderful ideas. I guess I'll be trying this tonight. At least I'll try the WW one so my dear hubby won't be too upset. We are trying to lose weight, but I want to cook.

I know exactly what you mean!!!! I love to cook (especially bake) but my rear just keeps getting bigger!!!

pamperedlinda said:

Thanks!

I make these all the time in the oven (it's a Weight Watchers recipe that I LOVE), but have never tried the microwave. I'd imagine that you could do it in the rice cooker, but not sure for how long.

Basically what I do is take the cake mix & mix it with a can of diet soda (no eggs, oil or water) and then bake the cake mix according to the package directions for whatever size pan you are using. The mix will make awesome cupcakes too!! After it's baked & cooled completely, I'll "frost" the cake with just some Cool Whip Free whipped topping. I think the texture is a little bit more light & moist than if you were to make a regular cake -- but otherwise it's no different.

I've tried LOTS of different combinations & they're all great! Here are just a few:

Choc cake mix AND:
diet cherry coke
OR
diet A&W rootbeer soda
OR
diet A&W cream soda
OR
diet rite raspberry soda
OR
diet vanilla pepsi
OR
diet Dr. Pepper

White cake mix AND:
diet rite white grape soda
OR
diet rite strawberry kiwi soda
OR
diet Crush orange soda
OR
diet 7Up
OR
diet Sprite
OR
diet cherry 7Up

Yellow or Lemon cake mix AND any variety of a diet citrus soda

Spice cake mix AND any variety diet citrus soda OR diet cream soda

The possibilities and flavor combinations are really endless -- just pick a cake mix flavor & get creative!!!

The combo I tried was White cake w/Verners (Gingerale) and I think I noticed a hint of gingerale flavor but not overwhelming or in a bad way. The cake was SUPER moist in the oven I can hardly wait to receive my rice cooker to try this cake in the micro....hopefully you all will have the small details ironed out and shared so all I have to do is set the time and try the cake. ;)

I've done devils food cake w/diet dr. pepper many times in the fluted stone. Baked in the oven - it's great. After it's cooled I put lots of sliced strawberries to fill the hole and bring them up over the top. I serve it on the cranberry SA plate on top of a small SA bowl turned upside down - to make a cake plate.
I also have cool whip to offer. It is really pretty and impressive - both the presentation and the taste!

I made this cake with Devil's Food cake mix and diet coke. Then I topped it with Chocolate Cool Whip. It was GREAT!!!

I tried one of these in the rice cooker in micro and it was a mess...uncooked in the middle, dry on the ends. Can't remember from the hazlenut cake if you are supposed to leave lid on or off...but whatever it is, messed up and did the opposite. Haven't tried again since!

Last night I made the 1-2-3 Cake recipe someone posted (sorry can't remember who:) I used 1 vanilla cake mix, 2 c. sour cream, 3 eggs. I used the fluted stone in the micro for 11 mins. It was perfect!!!! I drizzled some caramel ice cream topping over the top. It was really tasty. I know it was not WW friendly, but very tasty!

ok, so if i make this in my fluted stone in the microwave, how long do i cook this for? it sounds awesome and i need to have some chocolate cake right about now. ha ha.

I would try about 11 minutes

Now you've all got me hungry for cake! Hmmm....choices, choices!

momof2_pc4u said:
ok, so if i make this in my fluted stone in the microwave, how long do i cook this for? it sounds awesome and i need to have some chocolate cake right about now. ha ha.
This is a great thread.
I make microwave cakes in the fluted pan all the time, but never did it with soda. My ingredients are 1 box of cake mix, 3 eggs and 1 can pie filling. Stir together and microwave for 12 minutes. The combinations are endless!
I wanted to make a chocolate cake this weekend and read somewhere that I could use sour cream instead of pie filling, but didn't have sour cream so I used pudding instead and added some chocolate chips. It was very good.
I have this Incredible 13 Minute Cakes document but don’t know how to attach it.
My favorite combinations are spice cake mix with apple pie filling and chocolate with cherry pie filling for a Black Forest cake.

Do you have to do this with diet soda? I can't handle any type of
artificial sweetener.

artificial sweetener.

Stampaholic1961 said:
artificial sweetener.

Nope! I made one before with coke.

The verdict on the cake made w/ soda......we thought it was very dry....maybe I overbaked it - it's hard to tell because it doesn't brown in the microwave....I'm tossing it out!

Compiled Microcake RecipesHi all! There were actually quite a few threads on here about the cake and soda recipes and 3-2-1 microwave cakes. You can probably do a search and find some of them. Anyway, I didn't want to lose the ideas when they were posted before, so I stuck them in notepad to have for later. Here is a compilation of the posts/recipes from some of those other threads....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Soda in a cake? It is crazy but it does work. You just take a box of cake mix add can of soda, and mix. That is it and it turns out great. I have tried different flavors to make a variety of different ones. White cake mix with Diet Rite kiwi Strawberry is excellent.

it makes a great cake. For the frosting I add a little bit of kool-aid mix to cool whip and it comes out great.

I've made several. White cake with Diet Sunkist, chocolate cake with diet root beer!!! You can also make a low fat, low sugar topping for them. Mix 1 8 oz carton of FF cool whip with one small package of sugar free Jell-O or Pudding. Yummy!! I put orange Jell-O on the orange cake and chocolate or cheesecake pudding on the chocolate cake! If youcut the cake into 12 servings, it is 3 points a serving.
I decided to try the soda cake on my family tonight, and it was a HIT. I think I have a great recipe idea for a HWC cake, so read on if you're interested. It involves the 12" Skillet, but you could make it in the rectangular baker as well, I'm sure.

Ingredients:
1 T butter
1 box white cake mix
1 can Diet Rite Raspberry Soda (I used room temp soda, don't know if that makes a difference)
1 8 oz tub Cool Whip Free (new on the market, it uses Splenda and has less fat)
1 T sugar free raspberry Jell-O
1/3 c boiling water

In 12" Family Skillet, melt butter and spread evenly over the bottom of the skillet using Pastry Brush. In medium Stainless Steel Bowl, whisk together cake mix and soda until very well blended (you could also use the Classic batter Bowl, but be careful as it fizzes over easily). Slowly pour into skillet. Bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately flip onto Large Round Stone (or S.A. Large Platter). Let cool completely.

In Small Batter Bowl, combine boiling water and Jell-O. Mix until dissolved. Carefully fold in Cool Whip until blended. Frost cake.
1 cake mix. 1 can of soda. 1 small package of cool whip. 1 small package of pudding or jello.

Mix cake and soda and bake following normal directions. Cool completely. Mix cool whip and pudding/jello. Spread on cake.

My favorite is a white cake with a can of diet sunkist. Then use fat free cool whip and sugar free orange jello. If doing weight watchers, this cake cut into 12 pieces is 3 points each.

Can also use chocolate cake and root beer. Mix cool whip with chocolate pudding.

I also really like the chocolate cake prepared as listed above with the cool whip mixed with sugar free cheesecake pudding. Yummy!
Microwave Cake Recipe
“3-2-1 Cake”

3 eggs
2 cups of Sour Cream (one 16 oz. container, actually 1 2/3 cups)
1 box of yellow cake mix

Just follow these simple steps:
1.Spray your Fluted Stoneware pan with vegetable oil using your kitchen spritzer
2.Mix eggs and sour cream together in Batter Bowl (a whisk works for most)
3.Add cake mix and blend well with Mix ‘N Scraper
4.Pour batter into well-oiled stone and microwave on HIGH for 10-15 minutes*
5.Let cool 5 minutes; pry edges away with citrus peeler or avocado peeler; invert on platter
6.* all microwaves are different. Look at your cake at 10 mins. if the batter has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan, it’s done. If not, add 1 minute.

If you do not have a Carousel, rotate ¼ turn every 2-3 minutes. Check with cake tester and if not done, then cook 1 minute more each time before testing again. Garnish with icing, whipped topping, more pie filling, caramel or fudge ice cream topping, nuts, etc. The best results are found with cake mixes containing puddings or the new moist cakes.

Variations:
Add 1 cup of chocolate chips, or vanilla chips, or peanut chips, or dried fruit, or a combination of the above.

You can use a can of pie filling in lieu of the sour cream. Try chocolate cake, cherry pie filling and then drizzle chocolate frosting on top! Or yellow cake, banana cream filling, and drizzle white frosting on top! Be creative, have fun.
BUTTERSCOTCH SPICE… Spice Cake Mix, Sour Cream, Butterscotch Chips,
Vanilla Extract
BUTTERSCOTCH…Yellow Cake Mix, Butterscotch Chips, Mix Butterscotch Instant Pudding with Milk, Vanilla Extract
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE…Chocolate Cake Mix, Chocolate Chips, Sour Cream
LEMON LOVER…Lemon Cake Mix, Vanilla Chips, Mix Instant Lemon Pudding Mix with Milk, Vanilla Extract
CHOCOLATE BANANA…Yellow Cake Mix, Chocolate Chips, Banana Cream Pudding, Banana Extract
CHERRY…Cherry Cake Mix, Vanilla Chips, Cherry Pie Filling
PEANUT BUTTER & CHOCOLATE…Chocolate Cake Mix, Peanut Butter Chips, Sour Cream
STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE… Strawberry Cake Mix, Vanilla Chips, Mix Instant Cheesecake Pudding with Milk, Vanilla Extract
INCREDIBLE 12 MINUTE CAKES!!
Just follow these simple steps:

1. Brush your pan with vegetable oil with a pastry brush
2. Mix eggs and pie filling in Batter Bowl (a whisk works for most)
3. Add cake mix and blend well with Mix n Scraper.
4. Pour batter into pan and microwave on high for 12 - 13 minutes
5. Let cool 10 minutes and invert on platter

If you do not have a Carousel, rotate 1/4 turn every 3 minutes. Check with a cake tester and if not done then cook 1 minute more each time before testing again.

Garnish with icing, whipped topping, more pie fillings, nuts, etc. The best results are found with
cake mixes containing puddings or the new moist cakes.

Cherry Chocolate
1 chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
3 eggs
Top with fudge frosting, whipped topping, grated chocolate, or more cherry filling

Luscious Lemon
1 lemon or white cake mix
1 can lemon pie filling
3 eggs
Top with a lemon glaze and whipped topping

Pumpkin Caramel
1 spice cake mix
1 can pumpkin (not pie mix)
3 eggs
(1/2 tsp. cinnamon - optional)
Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping & top with cool whip! A sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on
cake is nice too!

Apple Cinnamon Spice
1 spice cake mix
1 can applesauce or apple pie filling
3 eggs
Drizzle with caramel. Top with ice cream or whipped topping

Raging Red Raspberry
1 white or chocolate cake mix
1 can raspberry pie filling
3 eggs
Top with whipped topping & grated chocolate (white or regular) and nuts.

Banana Banana
1 Banana cake mix
3 eggs
1 can banana cream pie filling OR 14 oz mashed bananas
Glaze with powdered sugar glaze, chopped walnuts.

Caramel & Apple
1 caramel or butter pecan cake mix
1 can apple pie filling
3 eggs
Top with cinnamon ice cream

Fantastic, Quick Chocolate Cake (4 ingredients)
chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
16 oz sour cream
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Sprinkle with powdered sugar (for a really final touch fill center with strawberries!)

Cherry Cake
White cake mix
3 eggs
cherry pie filling

Thanks for combining all of those! just reading through them is making my hungry!

Darn it, I knew there was something I was going to try today! I was going to make a micro cake, but I'm up to my elbows mixing Mrs. Field's cookies (they are SOOOO good!) and I'm sure I should eat them before starting in on ANOTHER dessert! Hopefully I can give away all the cookies!

ok i just made the cola cake...i know its way late here but i wanted cake. i used chocolate cake mix, cherry cola and cherry pie filling microwaved it and pit creamcheese and coolwhip frosting topped with hot fudge on top. um...just to die for. made it in my fluted stone and it was awesome.

I've done it in the Rice Cooker. 10 minutes in the microwave (this may vary - i did this at a show and it took 30!). I promote it as a great gift for college students "Bake me a cake as fast as you can" then I use the Rice Cooker as the "basket" and put 2 cake mixes and 2 cans of soda in it.

You want to let it cool a bit before turning it out of the cooker, or else it will fall apart. I ended up using it in a trifle so no big deal. It tastes great, very light and fluffy. I get lots of compliments on it when I do it.

That HWC cake sounds great! I think I just found my May recipe :)

OOH maybe I should try this with my RFL meeting...I could make it with grape soda...HMMMMM

feeling very silly for asking....
but when you talk about the pudding and coolwhip - that is prepared pudding then mixed with coolwhip - is that correct?:D

ChefBeckyD said:
The verdict on the cake made w/ soda......we thought it was very dry....maybe I overbaked it - it's hard to tell because it doesn't brown in the microwave....I'm tossing it out!
Yep, I agree. Mine was a big pile of crumbly mess! It tasted okay, but not really worth doing again. I'm much rather have a small piece of fattening cake that tastes really good!

pamperedlinda said:
Yep, I agree. Mine was a big pile of crumbly mess! It tasted okay, but not really worth doing again. I'm much rather have a small piece of fattening cake that tastes really good!

I tried again today.....we (my DS & I) made a spice cake w/ 3 eggs, and a can of apple pie filling....my DH came home from work, and looked at it and sorta groaned "Is that another microwave cake?" This was the best one I've done to date, but still can't compare with a regular cake.....much better than the "soda" cake - but still pretty dry, and all the ones I've done have a thin rubbery surface on them.? .....I'm going to try the pie filling type again, but I think I'll add some sour cream too - just can't get them moist enough for our liking.

I cannot get my cakes to come out of the stinkin thing!!! I have tried 6 times now and NONE have come out whole am I not letting it cool long enough?

I have an angel food cake in the oven (in my new fluted stone - hoping it won't bake over!!) ....and some sugar free jello mix & fat free whip cream that I am going to try for the frosting.....we'll see! If it tastes yummy, this is a pretty healthy recipe!

I just tried yellow cake mix with orange pop (YUM!) but it didn't come out well. It tastes pretty good, though...any tips? Let it cool longer? I just left it in the rice cooker when I was done, maybe I should have taken the lid off for the initial cool. The top of the cake stuck in the cooker. I am now going to cut off the top and flip it over again so it's a short skinny cake...it tastes good, but just looks yuckky.

ChefBeckyD said:
..................and all the ones I've done have a thin rubbery surface on them.? ......
I have that too! What is it?

Is it just the cake mix and soda? Or do you still have to add the egg/veggie oil? Thanks for the clarification!

pamperedlinda said:
I have that too! What is it?

Linda - lets just admit it....in our heart of hearts....we are still cake snobs!;)

I glazed my yellow cake/orange pop with powdered sugar/milk glaze and it was pretty tasty. I wish it popped out of the rice cooker really nicely, though. I have a girl scout cooking badge I'm doing in a few weeks and I was hoping to make it with them! I just got my hands on the fluted pan, so maybe I'll try that one...

<h2>What are the favorite combinations for making micro-cakes with soda?</h2><p>Some popular combinations include chocolate cake mix with a can of Coca-Cola, lemon cake mix with a can of Sprite, and yellow cake mix with a can of Mountain Dew. However, feel free to experiment with different flavors of cake mix and soda to find your own favorite combination!</p><h2>What do these micro-cakes taste like?</h2><p>The taste will vary depending on the combination of cake mix and soda used, but in general, the cakes have a slightly lighter and fluffier texture compared to traditional cakes. They also have a subtle flavor from the soda, which adds a unique twist to the taste.</p><h2>Is the texture of micro-cakes similar to traditional cakes?</h2><p>The texture of micro-cakes can vary depending on the mix and soda used, but in general, they have a slightly denser and moister texture compared to traditional cakes. Some people also find that they have a slightly chewy texture due to the carbonation in the soda.</p><h2>Do you make micro-cakes in a rice cooker or a fluted stone?</h2><p>You can make micro-cakes in both a rice cooker and a fluted stone. However, the rice cooker method may produce a more consistent and evenly cooked cake, while the fluted stone may give the cake a crispy crust. It is up to personal preference which method you use.</p>

What are the favorite combinations for making micro-cakes with soda?

Some popular combinations include chocolate cake mix with a can of Coca-Cola, lemon cake mix with a can of Sprite, and yellow cake mix with a can of Mountain Dew. However, feel free to experiment with different flavors of cake mix and soda to find your own favorite combination!

What do these micro-cakes taste like?

The taste will vary depending on the combination of cake mix and soda used, but in general, the cakes have a slightly lighter and fluffier texture compared to traditional cakes. They also have a subtle flavor from the soda, which adds a unique twist to the taste.

Is the texture of micro-cakes similar to traditional cakes?

The texture of micro-cakes can vary depending on the mix and soda used, but in general, they have a slightly denser and moister texture compared to traditional cakes. Some people also find that they have a slightly chewy texture due to the carbonation in the soda.

Do you make micro-cakes in a rice cooker or a fluted stone?

You can make micro-cakes in both a rice cooker and a fluted stone. However, the rice cooker method may produce a more consistent and evenly cooked cake, while the fluted stone may give the cake a crispy crust. It is up to personal preference which method you use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kristina16marie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jla8279
  • SusanBP0129
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
SusanBP0129
  • SusanBP0129