• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bread Bowl Artichoke Dip: A Delicious Make-Ahead Appetizer

In summary, this dip is delicious and easy to make. You can use either a Classic or Quick- yeast bread recipe. The dip can be served either in a bread bowl or on bread cubes. You can optionally add grated Parmesan cheese.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Do you think I can premake the filling for this the morning of and reheat and bake it later on in the evening?

It's been a while since I've made it, but I think it would be fine.

I've done that when we were going to a pary but in my baker and not the bread bowl. It comes out fine.

I always do my dips the day before. Just keep it in a regular bowl and put it in the bread before heating.

Has anyone tried substituting for the dried vegetable soup mix? I would prefer not to use it as it tends to have so much sodium. Any ideas?
Thanks
Diane

Nfldfran said:
Has anyone tried substituting for the dried vegetable soup mix? I would prefer not to use it as it tends to have so much sodium. Any ideas?
Thanks
Diane
I still use it but only use 1 package of it - 2 just seems so strong

Thanks for the opinions - ended up making something else because DH didn't think this sounded very good!

wadesgirl said:

Thanks for the opinions - ended up making something else because DH didn't think this sounded very good![/QUOTE]

Boy did he miss out! This is my hubby's and son's favorite dip. They ask for it every time we're entertaining and it's part of our meal when it's just the four of us for dinner on both of their birthdays. I have to make it this Sunday for my son's birthday :) I skip the bowl now though and just use crusty bread and tortilla chips and I make it in the mini baker

And it is so yummy with a box of thawed, frozen chopped spinach. First thing to go at a party!

i have made it for a show and for a recipe night/pep squad and it was devoured! i have been thinking about transporting it in the glass covered dish and taking it as a holiday second recipe

kcjodih said:
wadesgirl said:

Thanks for the opinions - ended up making something else because DH didn't think this sounded very good![/QUOTE]

Boy did he miss out! This is my hubby's and son's favorite dip. They ask for it every time we're entertaining and it's part of our meal when it's just the four of us for dinner on both of their birthdays. I have to make it this Sunday for my son's birthday :) I skip the bowl now though and just use crusty bread and tortilla chips and I make it in the mini baker

He heard artichoke and immediately turned it down! :) Just the way it is.

Does anyone have this recipe they could post? Wanted to try the quick yeast bread or the artisan bread in the RCB with the artichoke dip. Was thinking of NOT halving the artisan bread recipe, as I want a full, risen, round bowl, and I sometimes feel that the recipe as is does not pouf up as much in the Deep Covered Baker as I'd like. What do you think?

Here you go Jennie....I've never made the artisan bread so I'm no help with that, sorry.

Bread Bowl Artichoke Dip

2 16 oz sourdough bread rounds (about 6" in diameter), divided
Vegetable oil (I used the garlic canola oil)
4 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 c milk
1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts in water, drained
1 1.4 oz envelope or one 1.8 oz box (2 envelopes) vegetable soup mix (I found Knorr brand)
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 lemon
1 container (8 oz.) sour cream
Grated fresh Parmesan cheese, optional (definitely use it!)

1. Preheat oven to 450. Slice top off of one bread round to create a lid. Carefully remove center of bread round to form a 4 1/2 inch wide and 2 inch deep well for dip. Slice center of first and entire second bread round into 1 inch cubes. Place bread bowl on center of Large ound Stone with Handles. Arrange bread cubes around bowl; spray with oil.

2. In Classic Batter Bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth. Add milk to cream cheese; whisk until smooth. Chop artichokes using Food Chopper. Add artichokes, soup mix and garlic to batter bowl; mix well. Microwave on high 5-7 minutes or until hot -do no boil (mine only took 4 and it started to brown on the edges). Juice lemon to measure 2 T juice. Stir juice and sour cream into hot artichoke mixture; pour into bread bowl.

3. If desired, grate Parmesan cheese over bread bowl and bread cubes using Rotary Grater. Lean lid against bread bowl (I sprayed this with oil and grated Parmesan cheese over it, too. Made it pretty). Bake 13-15 minutes or until bread cubes and top of dip are golden brown. Remove from oven; serve immediately.

Jennie50 said:
Does anyone have this recipe they could post? Wanted to try the quick yeast bread or the artisan bread in the RCB with the artichoke dip. Was thinking of NOT halving the artisan bread recipe, as I want a full, risen, round bowl, and I sometimes feel that the recipe as is does not pouf up as much in the Deep Covered Baker as I'd like. What do you think?

The recipes that I've posted for the easy Artisanal Bread in the DCB and half batch in the RCB both make very full loaves!

If you're using these recipes and not getting a proper rising I would suggest double checking your hot water temperature - critical to proper rising and also making sure your yeast is in date.

kcjodih said:
Here you go Jennie....I've never made the artisan bread so I'm no help with that, sorry.

Bread Bowl Artichoke Dip

2 16 oz sourdough bread rounds (about 6" in diameter), divided
Vegetable oil (I used the garlic canola oil)
4 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 c milk
1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts in water, drained
1 1.4 oz envelope or one 1.8 oz box (2 envelopes) vegetable soup mix (I found Knorr brand)
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 lemon
1 container (8 oz.) sour cream
Grated fresh Parmesan cheese, optional (definitely use it!)

1. Preheat oven to 450. Slice top off of one bread round to create a lid. Carefully remove center of bread round to form a 4 1/2 inch wide and 2 inch deep well for dip. Slice center of first and entire second bread round into 1 inch cubes. Place bread bowl on center of Large ound Stone with Handles. Arrange bread cubes around bowl; spray with oil.

2. In Classic Batter Bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth. Add milk to cream cheese; whisk until smooth. Chop artichokes using Food Chopper. Add artichokes, soup mix and garlic to batter bowl; mix well. Microwave on high 5-7 minutes or until hot -do no boil (mine only took 4 and it started to brown on the edges). Juice lemon to measure 2 T juice. Stir juice and sour cream into hot artichoke mixture; pour into bread bowl.

3. If desired, grate Parmesan cheese over bread bowl and bread cubes using Rotary Grater. Lean lid against bread bowl (I sprayed this with oil and grated Parmesan cheese over it, too. Made it pretty). Bake 13-15 minutes or until bread cubes and top of dip are golden brown. Remove from oven; serve immediately.

Awesome!! Thank you SO MUCH, Jodi! I want to do this for a fundraiser show I'm doing this Friday, where I'm not really going to do a demo, but I will be trying to feature the new products. I was originally thinking of leaving the bread bowl in the RCB to serve, but I see that the recipe calls for the Large Round Stone so that the bread cubes get brown and crisp too. Hmmm...maybe I'll just have the RCB displayed close by to show that it is what I used to bake the bread. Or, have a second loaf prepared in it, and cut it up (after they saw how purty it looks) to serve with our oil dip seasonings.

Oracle said:
The recipes that I've posted for the easy Artisanal Bread in the DCB and half batch in the RCB both make very full loaves!

If you're using these recipes and not getting a proper rising I would suggest double checking your hot water temperature - critical to proper rising and also making sure your yeast is in date.

Hmm, I'm so glad you said this, Oracle, 'cuz I've made it several times and had the same result. The bread is delicious, and I've made it for several shows to serve with oil dip seasonings (always a hit), but it usually only rises to about 1/2 the depth of the DCB!

I've never checked the water temperature with the artisanal bread, though I did see that note on the recipe for the quick yeast bread (haven't made that one yet). Do I remember correctly that the water temp should be 120-130 degrees? Do you use a candy thermometer, or will the digital read thermometer be accurate with liquids as well?

My yeast is well in date, and I had increased it to 1/2 tsp (I believe you originally posted 1/4 tsp?) to encourage a better rise, but in looking more closely at the recipe this morning, I see that it calls for INSTANT yeast. I'm pretty sure I've been using Active Dry yeast, and I assume that has effected my results. I think I've looked for instant in the store before, though, and have only been able to find Rapid Rise...can this be substituted?

Another thing that I've done to the recipe is to add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of honey to sweeten the dough a bit. Just occurred to me that this could be impeding the rise too?

kcjodih said:

Can you please clarify if the Artichoke Dip recipe calls for one envelope of vegetable soup mix or two?

Also, has anyone ever added spinach? If so, how much, and do you change the amts of other ingredients?

Jennie50 said:
Hmm, I'm so glad you said this, Oracle, 'cuz I've made it several times and had the same result. The bread is delicious, and I've made it for several shows to serve with oil dip seasonings (always a hit), but it usually only rises to about 1/2 the depth of the DCB!

I've never checked the water temperature with the artisanal bread, though I did see that note on the recipe for the quick yeast bread (haven't made that one yet). Do I remember correctly that the water temp should be 120-130 degrees? Do you use a candy thermometer, or will the digital read thermometer be accurate with liquids as well?

My yeast is well in date, and I had increased it to 1/2 tsp (I believe you originally posted 1/4 tsp?) to encourage a better rise, but in looking more closely at the recipe this morning, I see that it calls for INSTANT yeast. I'm pretty sure I've been using Active Dry yeast, and I assume that has effected my results. I think I've looked for instant in the store before, though, and have only been able to find Rapid Rise...can this be substituted?

Another thing that I've done to the recipe is to add 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of honey to sweeten the dough a bit. Just occurred to me that this could be impeding the rise too?

As I've only made my recipe I can't speak to the other recipe. Although I know that a lot of folks have made the other one, personally I will not promote the use of a recipe that voids the product warranty (heating the DCB empty).

Water temp (120-130) is critical to proper yeast activation - if the water is either too hot or not hot enough the bread won't rise properly. I use a digital read thermometer. Candy thermometer should be fine.

If a recipe calls for instant aka rapid rise yeast I would use it (as opposed to regular yeast). Although they can be used interchangeably. The advantage of the rapid-rise is the rising time is half that of the active dry and it only needs one rising.

Honey is a sugar. Too much sugar will impeed the yeast so if you're adding honey to a recipe that already contains sugar you will need to substitute for sugar (not have both). Honey is approx 80% sugar.

You can see photos of the results of my recipe in both the DCB and RCB in this thread. RCB images are in post 20 IIRC.

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f7/quick-easy-homemade-yeast-bread-71429/index2.html

I hope this helps

Oracle said:
As I've only made my recipe I can't speak to the other recipe. Although I know that a lot of folks have made the other one, personally I will not promote the use of a recipe that voids the product warranty (heating the DCB empty).

Water temp (120-130) is critical to proper yeast activation - if the water is either too hot or not hot enough the bread won't rise properly. I use a digital read thermometer. Candy thermometer should be fine.

If a recipe calls for instant aka rapid rise yeast I would use it (as opposed to regular yeast). Although they can be used interchangeably. The advantage of the rapid-rise is the rising time is half that of the active dry and it only needs one rising.

Honey is a sugar. Too much sugar will impeed the yeast so if you're adding honey to a recipe that already contains sugar you will need to substitute for sugar (not have both). Honey is approx 80% sugar.

You can see photos of the results of my recipe in both the DCB and RCB in this thread. RCB images are in post 20 IIRC.

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f7/quick-easy-homemade-yeast-bread-71429/index2.html

I hope this helps

It does help, thank you!

I have used the recipe for the Artisan Bread several times, but I do not preheat the stone, as was mentioned in the original recipe that was posted. Later in that thread, someone shared that it could be baked at 450 degrees with parchment paper, and that is what I have done every time. Pops out of the baker easily, and I just peel the paper off. Very good bread, but as I said, they way that I've done it does not puff up as I'd like it to...user error, I'm sure!

I have seen your posts of your beautiful Quick Yeast Bread, and have been meaning to give that a try as well. Maybe I'll get it done today! Thanks again!

Jennie50 said:
Can you please clarify if the Artichoke Dip recipe calls for one envelope of vegetable soup mix or two?

Also, has anyone ever added spinach? If so, how much, and do you change the amts of other ingredients?

What the recipe offers is one large packet if you can find the 1.4 packet or two small packets if you find the 1.8 oz box. Honestly for me I used only one packet of the 1.8 oz box because it was too much to use both.

Related to Bread Bowl Artichoke Dip: A Delicious Make-Ahead Appetizer

1. What ingredients do I need to make Bread Bowl Artichoke Dip?

To make Bread Bowl Artichoke Dip, you will need:

• 1 round bread loaf
  • 1 can of artichoke hearts
  • 1 cup of mayonnaise
  • 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1/4 cup of chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup of chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup of chopped black olives
  • Salt and pepper to taste

2. Can I use a different type of bread for the bread bowl?

Yes, you can use any round bread loaf that is large enough to hold the dip. Some popular options include sourdough, pumpernickel, and rye bread.

3. How do I prepare the bread bowl?

To prepare the bread bowl, start by cutting off the top of the bread loaf and hollowing it out, leaving about a 1-inch thick shell. Cut the removed bread into bite-sized pieces for dipping. Then, brush the inside of the bread bowl with melted butter or olive oil and bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes until lightly toasted.

4. Can I make this dip ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the dip ahead of time and store it in the fridge until ready to use. Simply reheat it in the oven or microwave before serving.

5. What are some other variations of Bread Bowl Artichoke Dip?

You can customize the dip by adding different ingredients such as spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, or different types of cheese. You can also try using different types of bread for the bread bowl, or even use a hollowed-out pumpkin or squash for a festive twist.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • chefheidi2003
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • stephs_chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies