• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bounced Checks: Dealing with Pampered Chef Payments Issues

In summary, if you stop accepting checks, you might lose business. You can check with your local District Attorney to see if they have a unit that handles bounced checks.
Dianneskitchen
Gold Member
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.
Does anyone have problems with bouncedv checks, and trying to collect them? I have been doing PC for 3 1/2 years and just lately, I have had a few problems with checks and was wondering if anyone does not accept checks, or has them made out to the hostess.

I accept checks and in a little over a year have only had 1 returned check and it was (honestly) the banks error.

If you stop accepting checks (if it is even allowed for you to do so), you could lose business.

Check with your local District Attorney regarding their worthless check unit.

Dianneskitchen said:
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.
Does anyone have problems with bouncedv checks, and trying to collect them? I have been doing PC for 3 1/2 years and just lately, I have had a few problems with checks and was wondering if anyone does not accept checks, or has them made out to the hostess.
I do accept checks, and I usually have them write them out to me... but i was thinking if i have them all written out to the host then if it is a problem then she is responsible for it.... hmmm. I do accept checks and haven't had any trouble:thumbup:

I have always had everyone write checks out to the host. My director has been doing it this way for awhile and has never had a problem. I find it so much easier to deal with 1 check. My director's logic is that it will be a lot easier for the host to collect money from a friend than a me trying to collect from a stranger.

I have the checks made out to me. I figure that if a check does bouce it should be me that tracks it down since it's my business. I also don't want to make it an uncomfortable situation for the hostess to have to collect from her friends.

chefpenny99 said:
I have the checks made out to me. I figure that if a check does bouce it should be me that tracks it down since it's my business. I also don't want to make it an uncomfortable situation for the hostess to have to collect from her friends.

I do exactly the same thing. I have had only one bad check in the last year and she's the one who called me! She ended up giving me cash to pay for the order plus the money for the change the bank gave me.

My director has always had people make it out to the host though. I can totally see that being easier. People are a lot less likely to make a bad check out to a friend or someone they know. Plus, if it was bad, she can hold on to the products until they pay up otherwise, return them for a refund.

In almost 5 years in biz I've had approx. 12 checks (380 shows) bounce. All but one the person was totally freaked out and ready to pay me asap. I always included the bounced check charge ($5.00 at my bank) and never had any trouble.

I have the checks made to me: in my area, that is completely the norm and I feel I would lose bookings if I changed to having checks written to the host.

Another thing: I would much rather only have smaller checks to worry about collecting on than a huge party check from 1 host. I can cover a single check while waiting to collect....but if a full show bounced, I'd be in big trouble.

bethsbiz said:
Another thing: I would much rather only have smaller checks to worry about collecting on than a huge party check from 1 host. I can cover a single check while waiting to collect....but if a full show bounced, I'd be in big trouble.
You do wait for them to clear before you submit the show, don't you? I tell the guests at my show, and the host when I close, that I wait for checks to clear before the order goes in.

That said, I have submitted shows without waiting for them to clear - usually to make an incentive (like Sell a Thon). And it never fails, if there's a rubber check, that's the show it's on. :rolleyes:

I always accept checks! I have yet to have any problems though. I have people write their checks to me , not to the host, I guess because I would rather something happen with a small check instead of a big one from a hostess and then can't collect on it.

In over 5 years I have had about a half dozen checks not clear and all paid me immediately without a problem.

I do not hold the show for the check to clear (one of the bounced checks took well over a week to get back to me) but I do insist that I have payment before sending the show in. The checks are made out to me. My reasoning is that the host has to get it in her bank and the checks have to clear there and then her check to me would have to clear - bigger chance of my check from her not making it. It is also a service to my hosts - they don't have to get to the bank and do the followup if needed.

I also have the show shipped to me whenever I can (especially if I think there might be a problem) which gives me that much more time to know the checks are good.

Thanks for all your input. I have only had a few returned in the 3 1/2 years that I have been doing this and up until the last couple of months, never had a problem collecting them. I just had a real bad experience with a guest that had also been a past hostess. This person that owes the check was very rude, and she said she was calling her friends that had attended her party, and tell them not to do business with me, because I was unprofessional because I called her and left several messages (unanswered)
at her home. She doesn't get the fact that she has had the products since May, but I have not received payment for them. She said she was calling Pampered Chef to make a complaint about me because of this.
The whole thing upset me a lot because I have never had a problem with a host or guest. I called HO and told them the story, and they assured me that I had done nothing wrong, but it was still upsetting. I will probably keep doing business the same way I always have. It took a week and a half for this check to be returned and I don't like to hold shows that long.
Sorry this is so long.

I have the checks made out to me. When I first started, I had everyone write them to the host (that's what we did back in the day!) until I had a host use the money to pay her rent. It was horrible. I had to call all of the guests and explain but she had gotten to them first and told them I had stolen the money. It was awful. Plus, I'd rather have a $30 check bounce than a $700 check! UGH!

I have them write them to me. I started having them written to the host and I know that that is what my director does but I want to be the only one responsible for the money.

I agree with Colleen. I have them write their checks to me for a few reasons:

1. PC is my job..not my hosts (I am NOT digging on you if you have the checks written to the host, this is just MY feelings...) so I don't want her to have to take a trip to the bank in order to write me a check. (Also- I have a Deposit Only stamp with my account number on it...so easy just to stamp all of the checks- your host would have to SIGN EACH OF THEM!)

2. If a check is gonna bounce, I want it to be a SMALL amount of $$...not the entire show!

3. In almost 4 years, I have only had two checks bounce. One paid it (and the bank fee...with apologies) and the other flaked on me, but I have her products and I will use them as giveaways...tax deduction! (I could have sent them back, but she ACTED like she was gonna pay me so I missed the 30 day window, and it's not a big enough order for it to be worth me paying to send them back to PC for my $$ back!)

I just want hosting to look as easy as possible!

ChecksIf I know the host really well and the guests they write the checks to me.

If I don't know them very well, they write their checks to the host and she writes me a big check. I have never had a problem with this and the host totally understands the procedure.

I had one host tell me "So this is to save you from having to chase down one of my cheap relatives for payment??"

My reply "EXACTLY!!" LOL

Debbie :D

Related to Bounced Checks: Dealing with Pampered Chef Payments Issues

What should I do if I receive a bounced check from a Pampered Chef customer?

If you receive a bounced check from a Pampered Chef customer, please contact our customer service team at 1-800-342-2433. They will be able to assist you with next steps and provide guidance on how to handle the situation.

How long does it take for Pampered Chef to process a bounced check?

Typically, it takes 5-7 business days for us to process a bounced check. However, this may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the bounced check. Our customer service team will be able to provide you with a more accurate timeline.

Will I be charged a fee for a bounced check from a Pampered Chef customer?

Yes, a fee of $25 will be charged for each bounced check. This fee is to cover the costs associated with processing the bounced check and any additional administrative tasks.

Can I still receive my commission for a bounced check from a Pampered Chef customer?

Unfortunately, if a customer's check bounces, we are unable to process the commission payment for that order. However, if the customer provides a new payment method and the payment is successfully processed, you will receive your commission for that order.

How can I prevent bounced checks from Pampered Chef customers in the future?

To help prevent bounced checks from Pampered Chef customers, we recommend using our electronic payment option. This allows customers to pay with a credit or debit card, which significantly reduces the chances of a bounced check. You can also remind customers to ensure they have sufficient funds in their account before writing a check.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • flemings99
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • dannyzmom