• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Book to Look: How Does it Work?

I think it was like 2 more shows) and all of May and into June with bookings from that one!In summary, the conversation discusses various creative ways to incentivize guests to book a party with the consultant. These include using prize slips, index cards, scrapbook pages, and balloons with prize slips inside. The consultant also shares different variations of these ideas, such as highlighting specific products in the catalog or offering additional discounts for booking a party. The conversation ends with the consultant expressing excitement and planning to use these ideas at upcoming parties.
nickywsn
Can someone please tell me how this works? I've got a general idea but wanted some specifics. Thanks!

I have no idea what this is...

I think it's when you have prize slips (they can say things like "10% off your order" "Free stone at your show" "Free cooking show" etc) and people have to book to draw one.

I am using this right now. Basically I put all of the door prizes on a slip. I even threw in a few GOOD ones like 10 pc bucks. and what not. Anyway. I have a date on the front of the envelope and the guest has to book that date in order to look at what "prize" they have won. I actually have booked 2shows this way. :D

Thanks...this sounds like a great idea!

I made some 3x5 index cards with "Book to Look" on one side and on the other it says for example... FREE Tool Turn-About! (To be awarded at your own Pre-Booked Pampered Chef Party ONLY). The cards are used when I desperately need bookings and the atmosphere in the party is not too lively. The word FREE seems to get everyones attention. Anyway, I lay the cards out and describe to the guests how it works. Once they have committed to doing a show, they are invited to pick a card. The free product is then ordered at their party with their discount.

I hope this helps.

Another consultant had this as an activity at our December meeting and what she did was make a scrapbook page with the letters "book to look" ... If you book a show with me today, you can choose one tag and receive that gift at your show on top of your host gift and many other benefits. When someone wants to book they may take the tag and get that product the night they hold their show or you can order it for them when their show closes. HTH.
Sue #421585
Independent Consultant
Groton, MA

Other variations on this are

- actual gift item wrapped attractively, they book to unwrap one
- have a catalog with the item specially highlighted in yellow pen every time it appears ( batter bowls, tool turnabout, chopper appear Several Times in catalog)
- have sealed envelopes with various 'prizes', including 1 "additional $40 shopping spree" (of course - it doesn't cost you $40, because you can either enter it as a host item or actually order it yourself as a consultant and get 30% off)

Good Luck; God Bless You!

scottcooks said:
Other variations on this are

- actual gift item wrapped attractively, they book to unwrap one
- have a catalog with the item specially highlighted in yellow pen every time it appears ( batter bowls, tool turnabout, chopper appear Several Times in catalog)
- have sealed envelopes with various 'prizes', including 1 "additional $40 shopping spree" (of course - it doesn't cost you $40, because you can either enter it as a host item or actually order it yourself as a consultant and get 30% off)

Good Luck; God Bless You!

A few years back when I was having a dry spell, I blew up enough balloons so that every guest got one when they walked in. Each had a slip of paper INSIDE it with the name of a tool (under $10). Anyone who booked a show got to pop their balloon & the got the item (AT their party ordered with the host discount) on the slip of paper.
It went over really well...that was April of 2005 and I am STILL working shows that stemmed off of that one!

dannyzmom said:
A few years back when I was having a dry spell, I blew up enough balloons so that every guest got one when they walked in. Each had a slip of paper INSIDE it with the name of a tool (under $10). Anyone who booked a show got to pop their balloon & the got the item (AT their party ordered with the host discount) on the slip of paper.
It went over really well...that was April of 2005 and I am STILL working shows that stemmed off of that one!

OH MY GOSH! That is a REALLY good idea! I have gotta use that one for the remaining shows this month and NEXT month! You know it would be really cool to get light pink balloons for HWC!!! :D Oh the IDEAS! lol

SillyChef said:
OH MY GOSH! That is a REALLY good idea! I have gotta use that one for the remaining shows this month and NEXT month! You know it would be really cool to get light pink balloons for HWC!!! :D Oh the IDEAS! lol

That's how I did it - it was a mid-April show and I did all pink balloons to talk about HWC

Great minds think alike! :D

SillyChef said:

You could really run with that and use colors for the next month's holiday like start using pink and red for promoting couple shows for Valentines, or use red, white, and blue ones to promote outdoor Fourth of July grilling shows, etc. You guys are so creative!!

DizziePixie said:
You could really run with that and use colors for the next month's holiday like start using pink and red for promoting couple shows for Valentines, or use red, white, and blue ones to promote outdoor Fourth of July grilling shows, etc. You guys are so creative!!

EXACTLY! March is green for St. Patty's Day! :D Awesome! :D

:confused:

I understand the concept, but I don't get it...if The Host Rewards and Specials aren't enough to get someone to book, why would they book in order to get an unknown prize that might not be something they want? Does this really get people to book who otherwise wouldn't or are people who would normally book anyway just getting an additional free gift?

The balloon idea was actually mentioned in a workshop I took at National last year. The speaker takes 4 balloons, one has a bigger prize on the slip and is marked somehow. That's the balloon for the current host. She gets to pop and receive that prize when all 3 of the other balloons are popped - three bookings! And rather than asking people "When dod you want to have your show?" she asked them "Are you going to pop a balloon tonight?"Annie, sometimes it's not the extra product, it's the fun of the game that gets people interested.

I started doing the balloon bookings in October and it has gone over really well. I change it up a little for the season's. At Christmas I had the little decorative Ornament Boxes, right now I've got the plastic hearts that I'm using. I use 4 of them. 3 have small gifts ($6.00 and under) and one has @ $10 gift in it (that's the one for the host). It has really increased my bookings and so far they have stuck.

I go one step further and put a date on them that I want to fill. Sometime I list 2 dates for them to choose from and I always have one of the booking prizes be a catalog show (usually I have one show that's within a month, one for the next month, and one that's a catalog show with a specific "close-by" date). When they ask if the date is flexible I will let them take a booking prize if they select a date that is within a week of what I have on the booking prize.

I think it just draws more interest into booking a show, plus the guests see that you are fun. My hosts really get into it too as they encourage their friends to host a show so they can get their gift. So far I have not had anyone that has felt pressured to do a show. Plus, my hosts who booked from a show like this tend to want me to do it at their show so they can get something else for free.

People just LOVE free stuff! They will host a party for you because you offer them a $5.00 item! Then they are hooked because they get @ $100 in more free stuff!!

Last edited:
I really like this idea....I have been looking for a way to inexpensively decorate for a winterwonderland theme and I think I may get white balloons, but do you use helium or just blow them up and let them loose around the room? If you use helium how do you put slips of paper into them?

When I use balloons, I just blow them up and attach them to a straw. I tie a long curly ribbon on it for a little more color. I try to use 3 balloons that are the same color and I use a marker to write the date that I want to fill on them. The 4th balloon is a different color nd has the hosts name with a "?" on it. I ask the host for a vase or tall glass to put them in.

Good Luck!

Wow i love these ideas. I can't wait to implement them.:D

The specials are great, but people just love to hear "free." They are used to the free product credit and see that as something "earned" I'd say. I think it's worth it to spend, say, $8 to get a booking you may not have had otherwise.

I honestly think hosts and potential hosts really don't realize HOW MUCH they recieve, so they're not thinking "bah, what's a $2 item ontop of the $125 I'll get at the show anyway" - we've heard from our hosts "Are you sure I get ALL THIS for FREE???!" No matter how much we tell them, I don't think it sinks in just how much they're entitled to, so that additional FREE we can sneak in there is really appealing.

I like having the host open one when you get what you wanted! I have decided to do this also. I bought the cutest little chinese food takeout boxes in lime green (10 for $6 and I figure I can reuse by writing Book to Look on them). Will fill with $2 of pink or orange shred I bought and diff coupons in each. I'm thinking free shipping on today's order might be a fun one, and I like the photo of a product you'll order them when their show qualifies.

I agree with Ann, sometimes it's the fun of the game. If I was a customer and was going to spend my afternoon, I'd want to be entertained. And darn it, I'd want to know what was in those boxes!!

What a great idea! I didn't even finish reading all the replies before I grabbed my calendar, and blank note cards!

Thanks!
Andrea

A very easy inexpensive idea I did last year was to use colored envelopes I found At Target that had matching notecards. They worked great for me. I still have them but have not used them in a while. I also am always on the lookout for small gift bags on clearance. They are great for an extra special gift.

Doing the book to look really boosted my business last year but I also had alot more people flake on their shows. Here are some things I learned.

If you are giving a prize make it clear they get it either at their show or that it will go on their show order.

To help keep your calendar full offer to do their invites and give them a deadline to get their list. (I now do 3 to 4 weeks out). If they do not get it to you by the deadline give them one more chance to get it to you within 3 days. Tell them that this is your business and you need to keep your calendar full. If they really do not want to have a show you would appreciate knowing now so you can give the date to someone else. Or you can say If you do not get their list in 3 days you will not be able to hold that date for them. (This step has been huge for me)

Just my .02$

Okay, not sure I'm understanding. I think it's a great idea and would like to use it at my shows. But I'm not understanding and have a question about this... since you're using the host's rewards to give the person the gift that they've 'won' for looking and hosting a show, has anyone had a host ever had a problem with this? If it were me that had "won" the prize I would have assumed it would be above and beyond the rewards that I would get for hosting a show. Or am I missing something? I think I might use the idea and stick to the door prize type items and give it to them then and there? Or does that defeat the purpose?I've had a really slow start with my PC business, finding out that I was pregnant as soon as I'd signed up and living in a really rural area I'm having a hard time keeping momentum and getting bookings.

The prize is on top of the regular hosting benefits. You adding it to the host's order just means that you'll save the percentage that the host has earned as their discount. You could use the door prize type prizes, but sometimes people will take the prize and then cancel the show. Adding a slightly larger prize to their order at their own show helps ensure that it actually holds.

I have gotten a lot of bookings this way. I was down and out and it made a difference. I have tweaked it a little for each holiday. Like for Easter, I (cut out three pics from the catalog with $10 and below items) put them inside of three different eggs and put them in a basket that said, "book to look". I explained that in addition to our great host benefits, I'm doing this on my part as a thank you and sort of Easter present to them. It works because the curiosity kills them! Do let them know that you will purchase that for them at their show (put it on the host order and you pay even less than $10!!

chefann said:
The prize is on top of the regular hosting benefits. You adding it to the host's order just means that you'll save the percentage that the host has earned as their discount. You could use the door prize type prizes, but sometimes people will take the prize and then cancel the show. Adding a slightly larger prize to their order at their own show helps ensure that it actually holds.

Well put! Thanks for elaborating!

chefann said:

That makes MUCH more sense to me thanks for clarifying! What do y'all find are the most successful products for these give aways? I've got some good shows lined up for next month and I'm hoping to increase my bookings this way.

I would think about your top sellers under $15.

I'm thinking the new Kitchen shears, A scraper is good, the new adj. scoop(which I LOVE!!) one of the new knives. something along those lines....

I liked this idea so much that I obviously plan to use it at my next show. I'm going to put a higher prize amount (on top of their free product reward) for earlier dates that I want to book (i.e. end of Feb. early March). And a little bit less for dates I'm not to urgently trying to book.

I used the "sealing" side of the envelope to write "Book to Look.... date" and on the smooth side of the envelope their contact information. I'll take the envelopes back with me and have the ''new" host hold on to the card to return with their order.

done a bit differentlyI've been doing this for almost a year now, and it really kickstarted my business last year when I was at the point of giving up. However, I do it a bit differently. I've used the Easter eggs, and now I use the Chinese take-out boxes (bought at Michael's). I make sure I have enough of whatever I'm using for every guest at the show. Most of the prizes inside are less than or just above $10 (CBB, Jar Opener, Small Mix 'n Scraper, bar board, adjustable spoons, etc). I've also got a few 10% off your order coupons in some of the boxes. Each box also has something tangible for the guest to TAKE HOME right away (small twixit clip or pan scraper).

I have each guest grab a box of their choice but not open it. Then I explain the rules...there are coupons for savings off today's order AND coupons for FREE products that they'll get for booking a show with me (to be bought ON their show with their host discount). I tell them that they are NOT obligated to open the box, but how will they ever know if they can save money unless they open the box??? But -- if they open, then they are committing to hosting a show with me. I do not use specific dates b/c I've never run my business like that. So, if they open the box, they choose a date that works for them. They get to keep the small gift (twixit or scraper), and I write their name, date of their show, and host of the current show on the slip. I also tell them that if they already have the product that it can be exchanged for something of equal value.

Okay, that was lengthy. If you have further questions, ask away! HTH!

I did this at my two most recent shows and I got 2 bookings. Everyone said it was a good idea, though.I just use plain envelopes, and I didn't talk it up as much as I probably should have. I need to make it more exciting for my hosts.

Creating excitment is Key!

I love your idea Sherrie! I will have to go to Michaels tomorrow. ;)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
SLDOWDY1978
  • chefliz
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
chefliz
  • MaggieChef13
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies