• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Balancing Pampered Chef Business and Home Life: Advice Needed

In summary, Jennifer's husband is questioning how much time she spends on PC if she's making enough money. She started selling PC to build her kitchen, but now she's trying to cut back on different areas. She tries to have host packets available at shows, and if not, then drop them off in person instead of spending the $6 to mail them. She's also not going to refill her door prize basket when it gets low. She will offer free shipping to the winner eventually.
ChefJeniLobdell
O.K. guys, I need some help. My husband is questionning me on how much time I spend on PC if I am making enough. I work full time, so PC is a part time business for me. I started this to make extra money to cover expenses, etc. Most of the money I make goes back into my business for purchasing catalogs, prizes, etc.

I really love PC, am signed up to go to my first conference and getting a good booking momentum going. Anyone else in this situation?

I definitely plan on finishing the year out, just don't know about after that.

Any pointers on how to spend less time, get more bookings and make more $$?

What seminars are you signed up for at conference and which wave are you?

Wave 1. Contact w/Confidence, Bookings Galore, Recruiting, High Impact Host Coaching.

I also work full time, and at first I started selling PC to build my kitchen....well my cupboards and drawers are overflowing! And I have recently looked back and I do feel that I spend A LOT of time and moneys on supplies and organizing. I am trying to cut back on different areas: I try to have host packets available at shows, and if not, then drop them off in person instead of spending the $6 to mail them...Also, I was paying for the ingredients...which I stopped! I will buy them, but ask for $15 back and explain the 1st 15 of their FPV is to cover ingredients anyway....and everyone seems fine with that!Umm, what else... I think I am cutting back on host gifts to just a SB and maybe a spice. I am also not going to refill my door prize basket when it gets low. I will offer free shipping to the winner eventually. (less inventory to keep track of for both gift/prize areas)And another "time-saver" is to do a bunch of general host packets at one time, and then later on throw in that months specials before the packet is given out.

Hi! I have been buying the ingredients for recipes, but have hosts reimburse me. If it is a fundraiser I have been buying the ingredients.

Normally for hosts gift I give a SB. I then give away door prizes based on games we play or outside orders or friend being brought to show.

Last night I just sat down and made 8 host packets up. I actually am trying the Show in a Bag thing. That costed extra money that I normally don't spend. Bought just about everything at the dollar store though. I am hoping this will get people excited about hosting a show.

Jennifer,
How are you mailing the host packet?
I almost always mail mine but sending them priority flat rate only costs $4.60 now.
I send 12 OOF, show planner, opportunity brochure, SB, 6 catalogs, host/guest special, a few flyers (host challenge, cookware info, recruit special if we have one) and invites if they are inviting less than 40.
Teresa

I normally hand out my host packets at shows. If I do mail them I pick the cheapest way I can mail them. I used the self-help machine at the post office. Host packet normally includes 4 catalogs, host/guest special, show planner, invitations, four OOF, and a few flyers.

Another way to save money is to only order catalogs in sets of 100. If you don't need 100, split them with someone in your cluster.

Thanks. I normally order 100 at a time. I go through them fairly quickly because I put them out at my husbands garage, the vet, doctors office, etc.

Ok- there's a place to save some money, too. Many people will take catalogs from those places and never actually place an order. Use old ones (with the "old catalog" poem on them), or use mini catalogs, with a note to contact you for a full one. That will save you a ton of money.

That's a great idea. Last season I threw away a ton of catalogs, because someone was supposed to do a Fundraiser and wanted 200 catalogs to send out to families. I then ordered more to have for shows. Needless to say most of the 200 catalogs were returned to me after the fundraiser. Such a waste. I will definitely use them with the "Old catalog" poem.

I know your frustration - I started this as a way to help raise money for cancer research. I give most of my commision minus shipping but it actually costs me more that that to do a fundraiser.
I am sure my hubby doesn't meant to be hurtful but he basically just calls me a sales person like an employee. It demotivates me a bit. I want to build things so we can eventually buy a house.
I am still buying ingredients - I promise this on my fundraisers but I am doing it at my cooking shows too I feel uncomfortable about asking for reimbursement. I started buying them because when I trust hosts to do it frequently the pie crust is frozen etc.
Saving money - The priority mail flat rate pack is probably best for shipping
Try to do more mini-catalogs or old catalogs for the garage, vet etc. See if there is actually interest before you send a full catalog.
Unless I have something special like a HWC fundraiser I give the Season's Best cookbook. Bring a friend and I might give a Twixit or 2 as a thank you!
I need to get better about booking shows AT the show and saving on shipping costs

Teresa Lynn said:
Jennifer,
How are you mailing the host packet?
I almost always mail mine but sending them priority flat rate only costs $4.60 now.
I send 12 OOF, show planner, opportunity brochure, SB, 6 catalogs, host/guest special, a few flyers (host challenge, cookware info, recruit special if we have one) and invites if they are inviting less than 40.
Teresa
I asked at the shipping place, and he said that a flat rate priority envelope is 9, so I am actually saving money doing this (paying $6-ish for actual weight)... I wonder why it is so expensive for me!?Let me ask this question....do you guys send it out media mail? Sometimes post masters will put it out as that, which saves some $$, but a lot won't when I explain the contents...

Are you explaining that you want the envelope and not the box??

Yep! He even showed me the envelope.... 9x13ish?

The post office only charges about 4.60 I have not done it since the postage change I think many people now have access to the Automatic Postal Center (APC) SO you can ship at anytime. Usually there is a bunch of Priority Mail envelopes right next to it. You can purchase stamps in advance too from the post office so just pack everything up and drop it off.

I've been feeling the same way about my business lately. I started just to get out of the house every once in awhile. But now it seems like PC has become a full-time job. I've decided that while my kids are young (I have a 2 year old & one on the way, plus babysit my 3 year old nephew & will also watch his soon-to-be newborn sister this fall), I'm just doing this for fun. I was getting all worked up with earning the free products & trying to promote to director, but it's too much. I have no free time anymore & I'm stressed & the kids aren't happy. So I'm not doing any more ccc for now & am not doing anything above 3 host calls (or emails if I can) & shows. I'm going to try to book as much as I can at the show so I don't spend time on the phone at home getting bookings. Once the kids are in school, then I can devote the time they're there to my business & pick up ccc again, etc.

To save time, I like the idea of making up your host packets ahead of time. I usually try to make up around 8 & when a show is over, I replace everything in the folder for the next month. I close shows the day of the show--this helps ALOT with time. No more hunting down hosts. If we need to wait a few days to close, then we set a day/time to close within 2-3 days.

Money-wise, I'm not spending as much on stickers & such anymore. I order the SB for my hosts & smaller door prizes (quikut, nylon scrapers, twixit, bamboo tongs) for my door prize winner, bring friends. I don't play games at shows. I have hosts reimburse me for ingredients unless they have 2 bookings or $200 in oo before show (or 1 booking/$100 in oo). I buy my catalogs 100 at a time & try to give host packets at shows or deliver them when I'm out if they live close.

Good luck!

He was mistakenThe flat rate envelopes are $4.60 to mail. Go to usps.com and get them sent to you for free (no coat, no S/H). Use the purchase postage online feature to orer and print the postage, then tape it to the envelope.

Have your hosts buy the ingredients. When you Host Coach them, make sure you go over the grocery list and explain how you need the ingredients. Do this a couple days before hand, when you are getting the final numbers.

Make sure you keep track of ALL your expenses. Mileage to the grocery store, because of course you purchased ingredients to try a recipe for a show. The cost of those ingredents. An appetizer for a crowd make a great meal for youe family...and you "practiced" the recipe; you can d this twice per recipe. Mileage to the bank to deposit checks. Keep track of it all, as it will offset your income.

Keep it simple! I give a SB as a thank you to my hosts, I have a basket of small items that one or two people pick from.

I do not often offer bookng incentives. I ask EVERYONE at the show if they want to host their own. I talk about my theme shows. If someone mentions how they like ice cream, I tell them we can do an ice cream social at their place...even if I have NO idea what I will do!!! Why? Book 'em, then figure it out.

Robin

Kathytnt said:
The post office only charges about 4.60 I have not done it since the postage change I think many people now have access to the Automatic Postal Center (APC) SO you can ship at anytime. Usually there is a bunch of Priority Mail envelopes right next to it. You can purchase stamps in advance too from the post office so just pack everything up and drop it off.

I only get charged $4.60 too. The lady I usually go to knows what is in there & hands me more priority mail envelopes (they're free) so I don't get low. I'd ask why theirs is so much!

jenniferknapp said:
I asked at the shipping place, and he said that a flat rate priority envelope is 9, so I am actually saving money doing this (paying $6-ish for actual weight)... I wonder why it is so expensive for me!?

Let me ask this question....do you guys send it out media mail? Sometimes post masters will put it out as that, which saves some $$, but a lot won't when I explain the contents...
It's more expensive to go to a shipping store than to the Post Office.

yes, the shipping sites charge alot more. Since 9/11 you can nopt drop the priority mailer in the blue box or mail fom your home mail box anymore it must be handed to a postal employee.

I get 2 dozen priority mailer envelopes at a time.

I am providing the ingredients tonight for a host (former recruit of mine who I asked to swap dates so as a Thank You I am bringing the food) what a pain in the behind!! There is no way I would do it everytime (even if I were being reimbursed).

When I send them the recipe packet I have clearly writtne on it what I expect them to buy, and then go over it again with them on the phone. It's all part of host coaching.

I send mine through the post office. They have a self serve machine there. After weighing the envelope I normally choose the cheapest way to get it there. I think it normally is sent first class. I haven't mailed a host packet in a long time. All my receipts are at home. I think it was around $5.00ish. My daughter loves going to the post office. I let her work the machine to ship it. I just tell her everything, she types it in, and then puts the postage on after it is shipped. These machines are in the lobby area, so they are available after hours and you don't have to wait in those horrible lines. I normally just ship everything in a large manilla envelope. HTH.

I mail my priority mailers out of my box at my house. Technically you are supposed to drop it off at the post office if it weighs more than one pound, but since I know my postal lady, she has yet to refuse taking it from the box. (Why do they have that silly rule anyway? Who are they protecting?)....

beepampered said:
I mail my priority mailers out of my box at my house. Technically you are supposed to drop it off at the post office if it weighs more than one pound, but since I know my postal lady, she has yet to refuse taking it from the box. (Why do they have that silly rule anyway? Who are they protecting?)....

Actually, you can send it out from your home address. I asked at the PO. Use the shipping label option from their website, and it asks the date you will be mailing it. Then leave it out for your carrier.

I _think_, but do not quote me, that if it is a regular stamp you are supposed to hand it to a postal employee; if it is a dated stamp (as from the self serve kiosk or via the USPS website) you can mail it in their special box or from home.

A dated stamp can be traced to you via video or email, a regular stamp cannot. Ergo, the hand-off.

That's my theory...

Robin

1. How can I balance my Pampered Chef business with my home life?

Balancing Pampered Chef business and home life can be challenging, but it is possible with some planning and prioritization. One tip is to set specific work hours for your business and stick to them, while also setting aside designated family time. Additionally, delegate tasks and ask for help when needed to alleviate some of the workload.

2. How can I stay organized and manage my time effectively?

Organization is key when trying to balance a Pampered Chef business and home life. Use a planner or scheduling tool to plan out your days and prioritize tasks. Set realistic goals and deadlines for yourself and try to stick to them. It's also helpful to have a designated workspace for your business to help keep things organized.

3. How do I avoid burnout while juggling my business and family responsibilities?

It's important to take care of yourself while managing a Pampered Chef business and home life. Make sure to schedule in self-care activities and take breaks when needed. Don't be afraid to say no to certain tasks or events if you are feeling overwhelmed. Remember to set boundaries and communicate your needs to your family and customers.

4. How can I involve my family in my Pampered Chef business?

Involving your family in your Pampered Chef business can help create a better balance between work and home life. You can ask for their help with tasks such as packaging or delivering orders, or even have them help with hosting events. This can also be a great way to spend quality time together.

5. What is the best way to communicate with my customers while also managing my family responsibilities?

Communication is key when running a Pampered Chef business and managing a family. Utilize technology to your advantage by sending out email newsletters or utilizing social media to keep your customers updated on new products or promotions. You can also schedule specific times for responding to customer inquiries to avoid interruptions during family time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
2pamperU
  • jrny2001
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • AlowayFamily