• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking Pies: 9 vs. 8 Inch Sizes

In summary, the pie crust shield is designed to fit over PC pie plates, which are not the standard size. It may not fit well with other brands or deep dish pie plates. It is recommended to try it out right away and adjust if needed due to slight abnormalities in the hand-made stoneware. Some customers love it while others return it. It rests lightly on the edge of the pie plate to prevent overbrowning of the crust.
PCSarahjm
Does is work on 9 and 8 inch pies?

It only works on our pie plates because ours are not the standard size. So, if the dish you are looking at is the same width, it should work.

Not mine
cmdtrgd said:
It only works on our pie plates because ours are not the standard size. So, if the dish you are looking at is the same width, it should work.

I got it specifically to work with my deep dish pie plate and it doesn't fit well at all...maybe I am doing something wrong??? :cry:

purrbal said:
I got it specifically to work with my deep dish pie plate and it doesn't fit well at all...maybe I am doing something wrong??? :cry:

I find that mine actually works better with my plain old 9" pie plates. It doesn't work well for me with the PC Pie stones. I'm not a big fan of the pie stones......because they are deeper - I have to do too much adjusting of recipes to make them work in the stones.

It fits loosely over the top to give you room to put your crust over the top of the plate. There are two cut-away places that fit over the handles of the pie plate. If it isn't fitting, do an adjustment and get another one. Our stoneware is hand made, so there can be slight abnormalities.

cmdtrgd said:
It fits loosely over the top to give you room to put your crust over the top of the plate. There are two cut-away places that fit over the handles of the pie plate. If it isn't fitting, do an adjustment and get another one. Our stoneware is hand made, so there can be slight abnormalities.

I have a cranberry, a vanilla, and a blue pie stone - doesn't work with any of them.

This is one of those products that I ALWAYS tell guests to try it out right away. This is probably my #1 returned item due to them not liking it. I will not reccommend it, but I don't go out of my way to bash it, either...since some folks have it and LOVE it!!

KellyTheChef said:
This is one of those products that I ALWAYS tell guests to try it out right away. This is probably my #1 returned item due to them not liking it. I will not reccommend it, but I don't go out of my way to bash it, either...since some folks have it and LOVE it!!

Usually, I have people ask if they can use it with pie plates other than PC, and I just tell them that I do all the time!:D

My MIL has one to use with the DD pie plate & I haven't had her say anything to me about it. I'm not sure if that means she isn't using it or she is & loves it.:confused:

I just used mine for the first time and I don't love the way it fits the deep dish pie plate. I thought it would fit down around the handles more and sit closer to the crust. I've never made a pie before today so I can't compare it to anything else. However, my repsonse to it sounds similar to the rest so I suppose I didn't do anything wrong.

Kate is correct. The best thing to do is to look at the PCS picture in the catalog on p.47. That shows how it's supposed to "rest" on the top edge... It doesn't clamp down over the edge. It's great because if you have a shaped edge, it won't crush it or damage it. I always used to do that with foil! This just rests lightly on the edge and keeps the edges of the crust from overbrowning. Hope that helps!

Related to Baking Pies: 9 vs. 8 Inch Sizes

What is the difference between a 9 inch and 8 inch pie?

The main difference between a 9 inch and 8 inch pie is the size and the amount of filling it can hold. A 9 inch pie is larger and can hold more filling, while an 8 inch pie is smaller and can hold less filling.

Can I use the same recipe for both 9 inch and 8 inch pies?

Yes, you can use the same recipe for both 9 inch and 8 inch pies. However, you may need to adjust the baking time and temperature accordingly. A smaller pie will typically require less baking time than a larger pie.

Do I need to use different sized pie dishes for 9 inch and 8 inch pies?

Yes, it is recommended to use a 9 inch pie dish for a 9 inch pie and an 8 inch pie dish for an 8 inch pie. Using the correct sized dish will ensure that your pie bakes evenly and does not overflow.

Can I make a 9 inch pie using an 8 inch pie dish?

No, it is not recommended to make a 9 inch pie using an 8 inch pie dish. The smaller dish will not be able to hold all of the filling and may result in a messy and unevenly baked pie.

Which size pie is best for a single serving?

This depends on personal preference and the amount of filling you want in your pie. A 9 inch pie can be cut into larger slices, while an 8 inch pie may be better for smaller servings. It is recommended to use a 9 inch pie for 6-8 servings and an 8 inch pie for 4-6 servings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • momoftwins
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
momoftwins
  • Energizermom
  • Products and Tips
Replies