• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Avoid Thermal Shock: Safely Use Stoneware for Frozen Foods

In summary, the conversation touched on the topic of "thermal shock" and how it can cause stoneware to crack. The participants discussed how to handle frozen foods on stoneware, with some suggesting to thaw the food first and others saying it's not necessary for convenience foods. They also mentioned the use and care instructions for stoneware, which can be found on the company's website or downloaded for customers. It was advised to cover about 2/3 of the stone surface with food and to avoid preheating the stone in the oven. The conversation ended with a reminder to not put anything over 1 inch thick and frozen on stoneware.
twopamperedchefs
Hi Everyone!

I just need clarification on the "thermal shock" that can occur and cause stoneware to crack into pieces. What are we supposed to tell our Guests in regards to frozen foods on stoneware? Do you thaw them first? Do you preheat the stones first? I know there was a thread a few weeks ago about round stones cracking.

I did a show yesterday where the hostess's mother was complaining about it breaking for no reason. I went into the guarantee/warranty, but I want to know what else to tell people so they don't break!

Thanks! :chef:
MB

There's actually fairly complete instructions in the use and care about this.For non-convenience foods (meat pieces, etc.), thaw completely before placing on stone and in oven. Convenience foods (chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc.) need not be thawed, but should go on the stone right before placing it in the oven so that the stone doesn't get cold from the food.

On CC in the download section - you can find a copy of Stoneware Use and Care to print out and give to each Stoneware customer.

Also, having food to covered about 2/3s of the stone surface helps

Ann is right - unthaw really dense food first.

If stones break - just explain that it happens occ. - they are made from clay so it's not as if they are indestructible - and what is great is that ONLY PC has a 3 year guarantee on stoneware!!!

I had it right - I told them to thaw things first like meat, and I told them I usually let frozen pizzas sit out while the oven preheats and then put them on my stone just to make sure they don't break. I had a guest say that she preheats her stone in the oven and then puts food on, and I thought that would make things worse.

Jenna - thanks for the 2/3 tip. I'm glad I was telling them the right stuff - I just started to doubt myself when my show started off that way! :)

I always tell my customers NOT to preheat the stone in the oven, then put cold or frozen food on there. For some reason a few of my customers asked if they should do this to PREVENT the stone shock... and that is actually one of the ways you create STONE SHOCK! I tell them instead to either go ahead and put the food on the stone in the oven while it is preheating, or let the oven preheat and then put the cold/frozen food on the stone at the abesolute last second before putting it in the oven!

For the Stoneware Use and Care - you can even email a copy or the link to your customers if that is easier than printing out a copy.......

another good rule of thumb that people can remember is never put anything over 1 inch think frozen on your stoneware.

Hi MB,

Great question! Thermal shock is a term used to describe the cracking or breaking of stoneware due to sudden changes in temperature. This can happen when placing frozen foods directly onto a hot stoneware or when transferring a hot stoneware from the oven to a cool surface. To avoid this, it is recommended to either thaw frozen foods before placing them on stoneware or to preheat the stoneware before adding frozen foods. It is also important to allow the stoneware to cool down before cleaning or adding more food.

In regards to the round stoneware cracking, it is important to remember that stoneware is made from natural materials and can have variations in thickness. This, combined with thermal shock, can cause cracking. To prevent this, it is best to handle stoneware with care and avoid sudden temperature changes.

When addressing concerns about stoneware breaking for no reason, it is important to remind customers that our stoneware comes with a guarantee and warranty. If they experience any issues, they can contact us for assistance. In addition, it is important to educate customers on the proper care and use of stoneware to prevent any accidents from happening.

I hope this helps clarify any concerns and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions. Happy cooking!

Best,

Pampered Chef Consultant

1. What is thermal shock and why is it important to avoid it when using stoneware for frozen foods?

Thermal shock is the sudden and extreme change in temperature that can cause stoneware to crack or break. This is important to avoid because it can not only damage your stoneware, but also create a safety hazard in the kitchen.

2. How can I safely use stoneware for frozen foods without risking thermal shock?

To safely use stoneware for frozen foods, it is important to gradually increase the temperature of the stoneware. This can be done by placing the stoneware in a cold oven and then preheating it to the desired temperature. It is also important to avoid placing frozen stoneware directly into a hot oven or exposing it to extreme temperature changes.

3. Can I use stoneware to reheat frozen foods in the microwave?

No, stoneware is not recommended for use in the microwave as it can also experience thermal shock. It is best to thaw frozen foods before reheating them in stoneware in the oven.

4. How do I clean stoneware after using it for frozen foods?

To clean stoneware after using it for frozen foods, allow it to cool completely before washing it with warm, soapy water. Do not use abrasive cleaners or metal scouring pads, as they can damage the stoneware. It is also important to avoid soaking stoneware in water for extended periods of time.

5. Is it safe to use stoneware for both hot and cold foods?

Yes, stoneware can be safely used for both hot and cold foods as long as proper precautions are taken to avoid thermal shock. It is important to gradually increase or decrease the temperature of the stoneware to avoid sudden temperature changes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• missymssy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • kcjodih
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • mirandalea