• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

A Small Glimmer of Hope: My Journey to Attend a Conference in Chicago

so I had a stockpile of milk.) If you're ever in a bind and can't produce enough milk, Fenugreek might be a good option to check into.
NooraK
Gold Member
So, when Conference Club opened up, I signed up, even though I knew there was only a slim chance that I would get to go. But I figured I didn't have anything to lose. There was NO way I could go if I couldn't pay for it out of my PC earnings, and if I didn't go, I could always get it back.

Then, we did the math on vacation time, and determined that with our summer vacation to Finland, and the baby sitter's paid vacation days, DH and I would be using all of our paid time off for those purposes, and I would not have any time off to use to go to Chicago.

Yesterday my babysitter told me that she had spoken with her daughter, and her daughter is now officially her back up. That means her daughter will be available to take care of the kids when she is not, including some of her vacation days. This would mean I would be able to use one or two of my vacation days for something else besides staying home with the kids.

Since NC is a Thursday-Friday-Saturday event, I could even swing using one sick day or a floating holiday earned from working on a holiday, or working the preceeding weekend to cover for the day and only need to use one vacation day. I also signed up for $500 in conference club, so I have quite a bit of money set aside. It's not quite enough to cover all my expenses, but it's getting close.

Now I have to gently approach the topic with my husband and see if he would be up for me going away for three days. I'd also have to start pumping like a mad woman to ensure we have enough milk for him to last those 3 days...

Wish me luck!

Best of luck to you! I hope you can go! This will be my first of many I'm sure. I even ordered my Chef Success button so that I can meet as many of you as possible during NC. Keep us posted on your plans!

I would love to have you there with us! Hope it all works out. I spent half of my first conference in the nursing mothers room. Ahhh, memories. I guess I left enough at home so my child wouldn't starve. He was 6 months old so could supplement with solids.

It sounds like the stars are lining up so that you can go!!

(((fingers crossed))) for you girl! I hope you get to go! :D

My baby just turned one so she can survive on cows milk that we're transitioning to. She mainly nurses for comfort.

Noora - have you ever used fenugreek to increse milk supply? Now would be the time to start taking some to build up some reserves.

kristina16marie said:
My baby just turned one so she can survive on cows milk that we're transitioning to. She mainly nurses for comfort.

Noora - have you ever used fenugreek to increse milk supply? Now would be the time to start taking some to build up some reserves.

DS2 will be one on August 13th, so he won't be quite there for cow's milk by the time I leave. However, I don't think 3 days of formula would reverse all the effects of having nursed him this long, if it really came down to that.

I have read about using fenugreek, and have a friend that recommended it, so I will have to get some. For me, it's more of a timing thing. It's all supply and demand, and if I don't make sure I pump regularly, especially at work, I can see the results in production.

I still haven't spoken to DH, though. Last night we went to see a movie, and this morning he was extra grumpy.

Oh, I certainly hope you'll be able to be there! Saying a little prayer for grace and smoothed pathways.

Noorah, you're right about 3 days of formula won't hurt a thing. My son broke a repacabe part on my pump when he was 11 months old. I took it as a sign to stop pumping. I ran out of milk for daycare two weeks later and we had to use formula for two weeks. (thankfully between what I had been sent and freebies she'd been sent, I didn't have to buy any.)

He still nursed at bedtime for about 6 months before it just stopped. When he was 6 months old, I went to Korea for two weeks. My crowning glory was that he did not go on formula during that time at all. (I was lucky enough to be a milk donor before going to Korea and pumped and dumped for two weeks. Sadly, I only had enough milk after coming home for him. No more donations :( )

It's looking brighter!

I've checked with the babysitter and there are at least three days that her daughter would be able to fill in. That covers the two days I need for NC, and DH could take the third to extend a weekend (he gets 3-day weekends every other week) so he won't feel slighted.

I've also broached the subject with DH, and while his first reaction was in a tone of "do whatever you want because you'll do it anyway" attitude, we've since talked a bit more, and he's supportive of me going. I still have to pay out of my PC income, but I think I'd only have to come up with about $200 to do that.

I will book my airfare and register for conference as soon as I get confirmation from the babysitter on the coverage.

NooraK said:
It's looking brighter!

I've checked with the babysitter and there are at least three days that her daughter would be able to fill in. That covers the two days I need for NC, and DH could take the third to extend a weekend (he gets 3-day weekends every other week) so he won't feel slighted.

I've also broached the subject with DH, and while his first reaction was in a tone of "do whatever you want because you'll do it anyway" attitude, we've since talked a bit more, and he's supportive of me going. I still have to pay out of my PC income, but I think I'd only have to come up with about $200 to do that.

I will book my airfare and register for conference as soon as I get confirmation from the babysitter on the coverage.

That is only $1000 in sales..technically less..but that is just the easy figuring. You can definately do that. Good luck. I am glad your husband was open to it.

Yay!!!!! :D

1. What is "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." about?

"aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." is a cookbook that features recipes from cancer survivors and caregivers. It also includes inspirational stories and tips for living a healthy lifestyle.

2. Are the recipes in "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." healthy?

Yes, all of the recipes in "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." are created with a focus on nutritious and balanced ingredients. They also include helpful tips for modifying the recipes to fit specific dietary needs.

3. Can I purchase "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." online?

Yes, "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." is available for purchase on the Pampered Chef website. You can also purchase it through a Pampered Chef consultant.

4. Is "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." only for people affected by cancer?

No, "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." is a cookbook for anyone looking to incorporate healthy and delicious recipes into their diet. While it does feature recipes from cancer survivors and caregivers, the cookbook can be enjoyed by anyone.

5. What inspired Pampered Chef to create "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..."?

Pampered Chef has a long-standing partnership with the American Cancer Society, and we wanted to create a way to support cancer patients and their families. "aSmall Glimmer of Hope..." was created to provide a source of hope, inspiration, and delicious recipes for those affected by cancer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookn' katie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
MHouting
  • mountainmama74
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Intrepid_Chef