• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are You Ready to Clean Up Your Desk on National Clean up Your Desk Day?

In summary, Lisa is trying to organize her desk, but she doesn't have a drawer and her desk doesn't have a surface.
lacychef
I heard on the radio today, that today is National Clean up Your Desk Day:D So all of us "organized-challenged" cheffers now have another excuse to reach the bottom of our desks!
(and we can look at Carolyn's progress pics for more motivation!)
So come on now, get off that computer & go get busy:p (I'm going to in just a minute.....)

hmmmmm....i'm growing attached to my messy desk.

Ha!! That is great!! I needed something to get me motivated to finish! I cleaned OUT my desk a couple of weeks ago, but I still need to clean off the top!

Do you know which thread I can find the picture of her desk?

jenniferlynne said:
Ha!! That is great!! I needed something to get me motivated to finish! I cleaned OUT my desk a couple of weeks ago, but I still need to clean off the top!

Do you know which thread I can find the picture of her desk?

I think the thread is 'progress' maybe? But it's not her desk, it's her closet, sorry!

I've been doing this for about 2 wks. I guess what I am going through is called nesting... hehe. My closet is very organized now- all of my scrapbooking stuff is easily accesible, it is amazing how you will actually scrapbook if you can find your stuff! But, I don't have a desk so all my PC stuff is organized in hanging file folder organizer.

wow -- I knew there must have been something in the air! I sat down and cleaned my desk and organized some of my computer folders, too. Here I thouhgt it was my own gumption but low and behold it was som "unseen force." Now, if only that unseen force could get my bedroom closet organized....

hehe, I told you what worked for me... Although I guess that isn't really an unseen force? Or maybe b/c you don't get to see the baby until it is born??? Hmmm...

I'd be WAY to embarassed to take a before picture, it's horrible and it's right off my living room, with no doors/walls. It's horrible and out of control.

I wish we could have a get organized party and help each other out. I think if someone else were here to see it and help me THROW things away, that's what I need!! I'm a pack rat, runs in the family.

Lisa

I have been too busy checking email and post about Leadership spoilers to organize anything! ha! Maybe later!

Well, I didn't do it yesterday, but I did get it done tonight!! Better late than never I guess. I hadn't filed anything since October (and I had a lot of shows in October and November) so my desk was a wreck!! I got it all cleaned up and even dusted it with a microfiber towel. My husband almost fainted when he saw it.

OH boy..we were on a roll with this organization thing..and then a world wind came about with alll these new products...LOL. I can almost picture it. We all went into a trance....LOL

My husband said I was only cleaning it so I could take a picture and post it on here. Whatever!!! All I have is a desk (a pretty big one) in the corner of our back living room. Why in the world would anyone want to see that? :rolleyes:

I have STILL not foind the surface of my desk :(
I went to Staples yesterdya nd wandered around for AN HOUR trying to find a nice organizational thing for on my desk - to hold pens, markers, highlighters, sharpies, scissors, paperclips, stickynotepads etc...but there were SO many to choose from I got overwhelmed and decided I would come home and try to find a surface on my desk before I rewarded myself with an organizer...

When I sold Mary Kay, my director had given me a gold colored money bag. That is where I keep all my pencils, pens, scissors and stuff. I keep it in a drawer. I would rather not have all that stuff sitting on my desk, but that is just me.

jenniferlynne said:
When I sold Mary Kay, my director had given me a gold colored money bag. That is where I keep all my pencils, pens, scissors and stuff. I keep it in a drawer. I would rather not have all that stuff sitting on my desk, but that is just me.

Unfortunately my desk doesn't have a drawer :(
It has a slide-out keyboard thingie instead. There are two cabinets up above but they're too high up and inconvenient for things I need to be able to grab quickly.

dannyzmom said:
I have STILL not foind the surface of my desk :(
I went to Staples yesterdya nd wandered around for AN HOUR trying to find a nice organizational thing for on my desk - to hold pens, markers, highlighters, sharpies, scissors, paperclips, stickynotepads etc...but there were SO many to choose from I got overwhelmed and decided I would come home and try to find a surface on my desk before I rewarded myself with an organizer...

What about a nice TTA for your desk to organize all of this stuff??? :)

jenniferknapp said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
DUH!!!
What an AWESOME idea!!!!
I have two white ones - one in my kit and one in my kitchen...and I earned two black ones - I'll use the new black one for my kit and the other new black one for my kitchen...and use one of the white ones for my desk! THANK YOU FOR THE IDEA!!!

Oh wait...what about my sticky-note-pads and apperclips...hmmm...well then I canjust get a little tray thingie for those....yeah!!!

Ohhhhh _ i can't wait til out new stuff arrives!! When do we get our sell-a-thon stuff and our Directors Boxes?

jenniferknapp said:

Oh my gosh!!!! What an awesome idea!!! You know, I tell people all the time they can use them for things like that, but never think of it for myself!! I earned one of the black ones, so I may turn my white one into a pencil older. I don't really like things sitting on my desk, but it's good advertisement if someone comes over!! I can stick my lotion bottle, my rubber stamps, my rolls of address labels and tape in it too!

jenniferlynne said:
Oh my gosh!!!! What an awesome idea!!! You know, I tell people all the time they can use them for things like that, but never think of it for myself!! I earned one of the black ones, so I may turn my white one into a pencil older. I don't really like things sitting on my desk, but it's good advertisement if someone comes over!! I can stick my lotion bottle, my rubber stamps, my rolls of address labels and tape in it too!

Don't like things sitting on your desk huh? You woudl HATE my desk - LOL

Oh, BTW, my DH's cousins were over yesterday and we had been talking about messy offices so I got brave and let them see mine - LOL

I can't wait to have them over in a few months and let them see how CLEAN it's going to be!!

dannyzmom said:
Don't like things sitting on your desk huh? You woudl HATE my desk - LOL

Well, I don't mind some things, but if I can put it somewhere else I would rather do that. I have my printer, scanner, a lamp, a stereo, my $1 cookbooks from over the years in the cookbook holder, a massive pile of recipe cards that I had bought for a Home and Garden show that was a flop. So, I do have stuff sitting on it, I just don't want anymore. But the I think the tool turnabout would be a great exception!

jenniferlynne said:
Well, I don't mind some things, but if I can put it somewhere else I would rather do that. I have my printer, scanner, a lamp, a stereo, my $1 cookbooks from over the years in the cookbook holder, a massive pile of recipe cards that I had bought for a Home and Garden show that was a flop. So, I do have stuff sitting on it, I just don't want anymore. But the I think the tool turnabout would be a great exception!

:::::looking around my desk:::::::
Well, how would you feel about a pack of highlighters (half opened pack), some hair clips, a box of Xmas cards, an empty yogurt container w/spoon sticking out, a 8 day old cup of curdled chocolate milk, 3 empty cereal bowls (no wonder I have no dished in the kitchen), a staple, a small bottle of oerfume, an index card box, a nail polish, a tape measure, a mdem & router, 2 speakers, a couple of rolls of taope and a ton of papers? LOL

My desk:eek: My desk is messy.:eek: I have been cleaning out my files...for the last six months. I have every possible paper on it so that it mounds. I was bad ... everytime we had guests over during the holidays, my room became the dumping ground. I just got the floor almost clean but am reluctant to touch the desk(table really)No milk or bowls(lol)but a fearsome task nonetheless.:eek:
Melissa

I've been on an organizational kick lately too. I just got the book, "Taming the Paper Tiger at Home" by Barbara Hemphill. It is a really great book (easy read) that helps you figure out what to do with all the paperwork we accumulate at home. It has good filing tips and organizational tips in general for your home. There is also a book for the office too. I really enjoyed the book and it gave me some ideas for what to do with some problem spots I have at home.

rebeccastt said:
I've been on an organizational kick lately too. I just got the book, "Taming the Paper Tiger at Home" by Barbara Hemphill. It is a really great book (easy read) that helps you figure out what to do with all the paperwork we accumulate at home. It has good filing tips and organizational tips in general for your home. There is also a book for the office too. I really enjoyed the book and it gave me some ideas for what to do with some problem spots I have at home.

Share some of those tips!!!

That book is just what I need!!! Im going to order it today..... my desk is covered in papers and my baskets are over flowing:eek:

If your desk looks like Carolyn's (or mine, and I have 3 flat desk-like surfaces in my office), one way to start the serious clean up process is to take everything off of your desk (minus the cereal bowls and yogurt cup) and put it in a box.

Next, take the box away and start sorting into piles. Have a trash can close by. Office supplies, receipts, bills, phone calls that need to be made, things that need to be filed, whatever makes sense to you.

Then start bringing those piles back into the office, but don't put them on your desk! :0 Put them in file cabinets, hanging files, desk drawers, wherever is best.

Good luck!

chefjeanine said:
If your desk looks like Carolyn's (or mine, and I have 3 flat desk-like surfaces in my office), one way to start the serious clean up process is to take everything off of your desk (minus the cereal bowls and yogurt cup) and put it in a box.

Next, take the box away and start sorting into piles. Have a trash can close by. Office supplies, receipts, bills, phone calls that need to be made, things that need to be filed, whatever makes sense to you.

Then start bringing those piles back into the office, but don't put them on your desk! :0 Put them in file cabinets, hanging files, desk drawers, wherever is best.

Good luck!

GREAT idea - what do I do with the nasty bowls though?LOLOL ;)

dannyzmom said:
Share some of those tips!!!

Well, some of my hugest problems of clutter in my home are a result of not making a decision on things as I get them. She suggests honoring your time but only handling papers once or twice. When you get something in the mail, decide immediately what you are going to do with it and do it. Don't just set the pile down and decide to go through it later. For example, when I come home from the post office, before I even enter the door from the garage, I can throw away all the junk mail, catalogs, etc. that I know I do not want or will not read before it even enters my home. RSVP to events immediately instead of saying "I'll do it later". Put papers you need to file in a "File" folder and when it gets full, actually file them (or do it once or twice a month, like when you pay bills). Have a "Pending" folder for things that you are working on but are not resolved (ie. things you are waiting for calls back on, invitations to events, etc.). Have an "Action" folder for things that require you to do something so it is all in one place. She suggested that you could have an Action file for separate things, like Action-Calls, Action-Computer Entry, Action-Pay, etc. Keep a To-Do list of all the things you need/want to do in one place instead of writing yourself small notes. Record new phone/address or changes immediately instead of leaving the note on your desk or around the house, or put the paper in your action file to do all at once.

These are just a few of the things that stuck out to me. It really was a fantastic book, and very inspiring. Basically, you need to choose a method that will work for you and stick with it. For me, I don't stick with my methods and things pile up. I then get overwhelmed or less productive. I need to remember that by taking action right away on things, I am more productive and at peace. I also need to re-evaluate frequently what is not working and how I can fix that problem. She says that your management system should change as you do. Your life never stays the same, and your system should make adjustments.

I don't have a problem with my desk per say (I don't have an office), I have a problem with piles of mail and papers all over my house...but those are almost all filed away, in the garbage, or in the shredder pile :) ...sooo happy!! Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone! (and of course thanks to tax season, a little extra ambition to weed out all of those receipts to add up my expenses!)

dannyzmom said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
DUH!!!
What an AWESOME idea!!!!
I have two white ones - one in my kit and one in my kitchen...and I earned two black ones - I'll use the new black one for my kit and the other new black one for my kitchen...and use one of the white ones for my desk! THANK YOU FOR THE IDEA!!!

Oh wait...what about my sticky-note-pads and apperclips...hmmm...well then I canjust get a little tray thingie for those....yeah!!!

Ohhhhh _ i can't wait til out new stuff arrives!! When do we get our sell-a-thon stuff and our Directors Boxes?

haha...your white one will be perfect! For your paperclips, tacks, and other small items, you can get a small pouch or clear case (my paperclips came in a clear plastic case) ...that can fit right in there!

As for the sticky notes, I use them ALL of the time, and just keep them on my desk to me... or, those could easily fit into a slot, may not stick up high...but they will be organized and you will just have to dig a tiny bit to get it!

chefjeanine said:

Good luck!
sounds good maybe I will try that today ... I'll let you guys know how it goes

dannyzmom said:
Well, how would you feel about a pack of highlighters (half opened pack), some hair clips, a box of Xmas cards, an empty yogurt container w/spoon sticking out, a 8 day old cup of curdled chocolate milk, 3 empty cereal bowls (no wonder I have no dished in the kitchen), a staple, a small bottle of oerfume, an index card box, a nail polish, a tape measure, a mdem & router, 2 speakers, a couple of rolls of taope and a ton of papers? LOL

Oh my gosh!!! That is soooooo funny!!!!

dannyzmom said:
GREAT idea - what do I do with the nasty bowls though?LOLOL ;)

Are they PC? If not, I would just pitch them. They aren't worth having ;)

jenniferlynne said:
Are they PC? If not, I would just pitch them. They aren't worth having ;)

That's funny:D

And what an "aha" moment....duh....using the TTA! I think my desk is too small though....maybe once we get our bigger house & I get my bigger desk;)

jenniferknapp said:

Brilliant idea. I love seeing the creative ideas people come up with here for problems.

dannyzmom said:

LOL. I can't believe you still have that chocolate milk there. Is that your reward for cleaning everything around it - that you can finally deal with it?

My daughter keeps threatening to submit ME to "Clean Sweep" :eek: Several years ago I asked my DH for "The Idiot's Guide to Organizing Your Life" He couldn't understand what I thought I would do with it......(it's here somewhere, I just can't find it right now):eek:

Welcome to the family Lisa........I too come from a loooooong line of pack rats:eek: I have been married for 39 years next month & when we started out we had 2 knives, 2 forks & 2 spoons because I filled up my car at the same gas station twice:rolleyes: We got married 4 days after he got out of the Army (VietNam era) We had a suprise shower thrown by HoJo's where I worked and a little family reception...that was it. where did all THIS stuff come from??????:eek:

Wow! How great it is for young couples now to have a PC registry!
Both my girls are married & have alot of PC including the cookware. We didn't know about PC when they were getting married. We just heard of it for the first time 3-1/2 years ago.

Well, I need to go make a path....my DH is threatening to invite people over:eek:

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cincychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
pckelly
Replies
Views
Melissa78
  • PampMomof3
  • General Chat
Replies