• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Have Steps for the "Omelet in a Bag"?

In summary, this is so fun and quick to do at a show or open house but don't recall how long to do the eggs, etc. The author recommends using quart-size freezer bags and cooking the omelets for 13 minutes in boiling water.
smspamperedchef
Silver Member
This is so fun and quick to do at a show or open house but don't recall how long to do the eggs, etc. I want to say 2 minutes or so?

Sorry I've never heard of it and can't wait to hear about it!

If I remember correctly you have each guest crack 2 eggs into a ziplock baggie. They first write their name on bag to not get mixed up with others. Then they pick different topping to put in with the eggs. Cheese, mushrooms, peppers, bacon, ham, onions, etc. Then they seal the bag up and smuch it all up until blended. Then they take their bag and place it in the pot of already boiling water and I want to say cook about 2 minutes or so. When it is done they just roll it out of the bag. Comes out the shape of an omelet. In another pot I have more boiling water but have the cooling rack over it where tortillas are steaming. Place omelet on tortilla, add more toppings if desired. Serve with Salsa, sour cream. YUMMO!

shows a lot of products Such as: One of our bowls to hold the eggs, prep bowls for toppings, cheese grater, chopper, egg slicer, decorator, salad chopper (to make fresh salsa), knives, cooling rack, cookware

That's right. Use the FREEZER type bags, quart size. I do remember someone posting a response they got from the SC Johnson company that the bags are not designed for cooking, and they do not recommend this use, however.

chefann said:
That's right. Use the FREEZER type bags, quart size. I do remember someone posting a response they got from the SC Johnson company that the bags are not designed for cooking, and they do not recommend this use, however.

I checked the website, because I wondered about this - the bags are all safe for microwaving...so maybe they could be made in the microwave?

Food Storage Ziploc® Bags and Containers

Got this from one of my downline consultants:
ZIPLOC OMELET
(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)
Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker. Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.
Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc. Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up. Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.
You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water. Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily.
Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.
Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

ChefBeckyD said:
I checked the website, because I wondered about this - the bags are all safe for microwaving...so maybe they could be made in the microwave?

Food Storage Ziploc® Bags and Containers
I think they're not only covering their tushies in case a bag melts, but they're also trying to direct people to their cook-in bags, which are more expensive. Doing them in the microwave gets some people all worked up about the whole plastic in the micro issue, too. (And it doesn't show a big piece of cookware.)

chefann said:
I think they're not only covering their tushies in case a bag melts, but they're also trying to direct people to their cook-in bags, which are more expensive. Doing them in the microwave gets some people all worked up about the whole plastic in the micro issue, too. (And it doesn't show a big piece of cookware.)

Yeah - that was just an option according to their website. I wouldn't do one in a bag anyway....just not my style.

Make sure to look at Carolyn's post - it's 13 minutes in boiling water. Two minutes & you'll have slime! :yuck: I remembered making them at a show & knew that it wasn't 2 minutes.

We made these this past weekend while we were camping. Make sure you put them in the wated for at least 13 minutes and do not crowd the pot! They are yummy and you can really add whatever ingredients you want.

I made these for camping last summer. Word of advice: ONLY 2 EGGS per baggie. They take forever to cook if you do more. :blushing: My DH thought he would make his own and did 4 or 5 eggs and his breakfast took almost 30 min. The outside was very done and the inside was a little slimy. JMO. :chef:

Related to Anyone Have Steps for the "Omelet in a Bag"?

1. What ingredients do I need for an omelet in a bag?

The basic ingredients for an omelet in a bag are eggs, milk, cheese, and your choice of vegetables and protein (such as diced ham or chopped spinach).

2. How do I prepare the omelet in a bag?

To prepare the omelet in a bag, start by cracking two eggs into a resealable plastic bag. Add in a splash of milk and your desired fillings. Seal the bag and squish the contents around until everything is evenly mixed. Then, submerge the bag in a pot of boiling water for 13-15 minutes. Carefully remove the bag from the water, open it up, and slide the omelet onto a plate to serve.

3. Can I use a regular plastic bag for this recipe?

No, it is important to use a resealable plastic bag specifically designed for cooking. Regular plastic bags may melt or leak chemicals into your food.

4. Can I make multiple omelets in bags at once?

Yes, you can make multiple omelets at once by using separate bags for each omelet and cooking them all in the same pot of boiling water.

5. How can I customize my omelet in a bag?

You can customize your omelet in a bag by adding any desired fillings, such as diced vegetables, cooked bacon or sausage, and different types of cheese. You can also add herbs and spices for extra flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • PCCHeather0506
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • lovenpc