• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

American Television - Still a Vast Wasteland

In summary, Mr. Minow discussed how television can be good or bad and how it is better to simply sit and watch it without any distractions.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman Newton N. Minow on May 9, 1961:

"When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.

"But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there for a day without a book, magazine, newspaper, profit-and-loss sheet or rating book to distract you — and keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that you will observe a vast wasteland."

Newsflash, Mr. Minow - it hasn't gotten any better in 47 years.

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2008/10/funny-pictures-cat-makes-fun-of-your-television-show-selection.jpg

I didn't really mean to start anything, I just love than photo!

Very cute. You know what I've been watching lately? Reruns of Little House on the Prairie. It's better than anything else on these days.

I thought of you when I saw that on ICHC today, KG! And cable only lets them cram more hours of cr@p into a 24 hour day. :)And I do think it's funny that it's Dr. Phil in that pic. It would be funnier if it were The Dog Whisperer (not because I think that show is garbage, but because it's a cat making the comment).

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
......until the station signs off. .....[/size]

I remember when the stations used to sign on and off - they played the Star Spangled Banner too! geeze I am old!! And when I was a child we only had @ 5 stations (actually we only had @ that many until cable came about)

Jessamary said:
Very cute. You know what I've been watching lately? Reruns of Little House on the Prairie. It's better than anything else on these days.

Me too! I love Little House...my husband's getting tired of it though.... :p

pamperedlinda said:
I remember when the stations used to sign on and off - they played the Star Spangled Banner too! geezer I am old!! And when I was a child we only had @ 5 stations (actually we only had @ that many until cable came about)
I fixed your post for ya.

All right now...I love NCIS, CSI, The Mentalist, Number3, Cold Case, Law & Order (all of them), and the new "My Own Worse Enemy" was very interesting last night. I don't watch TV for knowledge...I watch it mainly for entertainment while I am doing something else! With now living with my DD, SIL, 2 yo grandson, and 2 month old (today) granddaughter, we watch Dora the Explorer and Go, Diego, Go! You would be amazed at what you can learn from those! Did you know that llamas make a noise that sounds like a hummmm? Did you know that chinchillas are scared of pumas? Okay...maybe you don't care, but at 56 yo, I do find it interesting that my grandson can make around 30 animal sounds and a lot of people didn't know some of the animals even made sounds!! LOL!

Related to American Television - Still a Vast Wasteland

1. What does the phrase "American Television - Still a Vast Wasteland" mean?

The phrase "American Television - Still a Vast Wasteland" was first coined by former Federal Communications Commission chairman Newton Minow in 1961. It refers to the idea that American television is filled with shallow, mindless, and unoriginal content that does not contribute to the education or betterment of society.

2. Is American television still considered a vast wasteland?

While opinions may vary, many people would argue that American television is still a vast wasteland. While there are certainly quality programs and educational content available, there is also a lot of mindless reality TV, sensational news coverage, and repetitive sitcoms that dominate the airwaves.

3. What are some examples of the "vast wasteland" on American television?

Examples of the "vast wasteland" on American television include reality shows that focus on drama and conflicts, sensationalized news coverage that prioritizes ratings over accuracy, and sitcoms that rely on tired stereotypes and recycled jokes.

4. How does American television affect society?

American television has a significant impact on society, shaping our beliefs, values, and behaviors. It can perpetuate harmful stereotypes, promote consumerism and materialism, and desensitize viewers to violence and other negative behaviors. However, it can also bring awareness to important social issues and inspire positive change.

5. Can anything be done to improve the quality of American television?

Yes, there are steps that can be taken to improve the quality of American television. This includes supporting and promoting diverse voices and perspectives, holding networks accountable for their content, and actively seeking out and supporting high-quality programming. Ultimately, it is up to viewers to demand and support better content on American television.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • Addie4TLC