• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Am I the Only One That Does Not Like the Confetti Salsa?

In summary, the author suggests substituting a different vegetable for the jicama in the salsa, and suggests adding green onions or scallions to give a more flavor-rich salsa.
nancycookspc
Gold Member
Is it me? but I do not care the the mango salsa-
I cannot fine jicama easily-
my mangos are never ripe or rotten-

we made it and I think I don;t like it- give me your feed back-

I think I am going to offer Apple Berry Salas instead

I don't really like it because I am not a fan of red onion. One bite and I taste it all day.

We love it here, but everyone has their preferences. We are in TX where we have great produce selection right now. $.68 for beautiful mangos and $.98/lb for jicima. My hubby absolutely loves mango and could drink the stuff down, but I can definitely understand if you aren't getting good produce and they aren't pleasing flavors, then why you wouldn't like it. Offer something you like and can attest to.

68 cents for a mango? I'm moving to TX!!

I don't like mangos, so not a fan of it either...somehow the mango salsa on the cool & crunchy tacos always tastes okay to me though...

I like it. But I can't find a good mango around here to save my soul! Personally, I don't think the jicama adds much to it so I just leave it out.

I'm allergic to mangoes so can't try it. :( I loved them as a kid and was like your husband leslie...loved it...probably has to do something along the lines of 'forbidden fruit' and enhanced memory. :D

Here's some info I got from another consultant, Marie Snyder, for those who are into the salsa...you can use it to help with the wedger:

Here's the info from my favorite food book. It's a wonderful resource for tips to give your guests.

TIDBIT
The mango tree is considered sacred in India and thought to have magical and aphrodisiacal powers. One bite of a mango's golden orange, exceedingly juicy and exotically sweet-tart flesh and you know that mangos are truly a gift of the gods.

PURCHASING

FRESH FRUIT: Choose those with an unblemished, yellow skin blushed with red. The larger the mango, the higher the fruit-to-seed ratio. Ripe mangoes will yield to gentle palm pressure and have a perfumy fragrance. Avoid those with a shriveled or black-speckled skin. Green mango is the fruit in it's unripe form. It's sold both fresh and dried in Asian and Indian markets.

OTHER FORMS: Mango puree is available fresh or frozen in Indian, Mexican and other natural food stores; mango nectar and canned mangoes can be found in supermarkets.

EQUIVALENT: 1 medium (12 oz) = about 1 c. chopped

STORING: Refrigerate ripe mangoes in a plastic bag for up to 5 days.

PREPARING:
Place underripe fruit in a paper bag (pierced with a few holes) with an apple at room temperature for 1 to 3 days. Green, rock-hard mangoes will probably never ripen.

Be careful when eating mango - the juice will stain your clothing.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Here's the info from my favorite food book. It's a wonderful resource for tips to give your guests.

Good morning sweets! What is the name of your favorite food book?

I absolutely love the salsa BUT I have yet to find a jicama. I have substituted fresh pineapple for the jicama, about 1/4 of a pineapple. And, I use as large a jalepeno as I can find. Like any salsa, if you make it, refrigerate it for a day, then eat it, you will find the flavor to be much better as they sit and blend.

ChefCKHall said:
Good morning sweets! What is the name of your favorite food book?

Morning beautiful! It's actually Marie's favorite book. I included her whole post. She referred to it as Food Lover's Tiptionary.

You guys are making me want to make this again!!

I think the kids and I are going to go eat some mango for a snack!!!!!

I really liked it BUT I used a yellow onion instead of red, a green pepper instead of orange and no jalapeno pepper. The first mango was too ripe the second was ok - a friend was using the wedger. She had trouble finding the core...but the end result was delicious!

I love it...but as another tip:

when I can't find good mangoes, I use a pineapple in the Cool & Crunchy Chicken Taco Salad, and also in the Confetti Salsa. Works wonderfully in both places!

I've made the mango confetti salsa a few times, but without the jicama or onions...and guests tell me it's too lime tasting, is there something i can put to replace the onions and give a not so lime flavor? Any suggestions?

can you maybe use some green onions or scallions? If onions are totally out then I cant think of a substitute. I do think the jicama will help wiht the over-lime taste. You dont knwo what you are missing if you have not tried jicama. If i can find it in the burbs of Cleveland Ohio, I am sure it is much more available than we give it credit for. Try a Granny Smith apple or even a Dikon in its place...the lime should help in keeping the apple from turning brown. I have made the salsa 3 times for 3 shows and it has gone over very well....

Thanks Linda. I'm going to look again at my grocery store for the jicama...hopefully that will make all the better!!!

kandykis1006 said:
I've made the mango confetti salsa a few times, but without the jicama or onions...and guests tell me it's too lime tasting, is there something i can put to replace the onions and give a not so lime flavor? Any suggestions?

Just cut back on the lime. I had the opposite problem. When I made it I didn't have lime and it needs it for sure! And next time I'll add a little cilantro.

wadesgirl said:
Just cut back on the lime. I had the opposite problem. When I made it I didn't have lime and it needs it for sure! And next time I'll add a little cilantro.

I thought about adding cilantro. Let me know how it turns out.

kandykis1006 said:

This recipes is all about the melding of all the different flavors into a flavor that is better than any one ingredient on it's own. I think if you are leaving out 2 key ingredients, then it's just not going to taste as good.

I made it just as the recipe states at a party last night, and the hosts children even loved it!

I have had it 4 times now, all by different makers. One had too much onion, one to much jalepeno pepper, one bits of the mini spatula in it, the blades on the MFP are that sharp, and the last one was too dry. So I havent liked it yet. I dont care for mango, but to use the mango slicer I have no choice.

I think the confetti salsa is good, but seems a bit too dry. I add some papaya to mine and instead of the lime juice I use a tsp of Raspberry balsamic vinegar. The vinegar will make the other fruits and veggies release their flavors and the salsa becomes a bit more wet. Plus, the papaya adds yet another color to the mix! :D

chef.dione said:
I have had it 4 times now, all by different makers. One had too much onion, one to much jalepeno pepper, one bits of the mini spatula in it, the blades on the MFP are that sharp, and the last one was too dry. So I havent liked it yet. I dont care for mango, but to use the mango slicer I have no choice.

I haven't tried it yet, but the Use & Care instructions said something about being able to use the mango-slicer with fruits that had a pit- like a peach or nectarine (as long as it isn't too big). Just a thought- if you didn't want to keep torturing yourself.

BUT then again, my NED likes to say "It's not about YOU!". She says this to her consultants when they wrinkle their noses as the recipes and say they don't like something, etc. LOL

I have a 17-yo daughter that is a very picky eater and rarely likes to try anything new. She helped me make the Mango Confetti Salsa last Sunday for a group. I was shocked when she not only tried it but LOVED it. She's taken it for snacks to school a couple of times this week and we made it to share with her co-workers today. Personally, I'm not crazy about it but if it gets her eating her vegetables, I'll make it every day!

I have made the Fresh Pineapple Salsa from the S/S '10 SB. I made it last night for my huband's birthday and it was outstanding!! I had never made it before. I don't like salsa if any of the pieces are too large. The MFP makes the perfect size pieces for salsa! I would definitely do this recipe for a show. I didn't make the Lime Chips. I bought the Tostitos Lime Flavored kind.

I even used the Veggie Wedger for the cucumbers, jalapenos, onions, and tomatoes. I LOVE that thing!!

Chef Kearns said:
I have made the Fresh Pineapple Salsa from the S/S '10 SB. I made it last night for my huband's birthday and it was outstanding!! I had never made it before. I don't like salsa if any of the pieces are too large. The MFP makes the perfect size pieces for salsa! I would definitely do this recipe for a show. I didn't make the Lime Chips. I bought the Tostitos Lime Flavored kind.

I even used the Veggie Wedger for the cucumbers, jalapenos, onions, and tomatoes. I LOVE that thing!!

Mmmmmm.... love the pineapple salsa!!

I hated the jicama...while my super picky husband and kids loved it. I'm substituting a small ripe tomato instead at my shows. Guess what? I'm selling MFP's and getting bookings just for the 60% discount!

chef.dione said:

So no one said anything about this comment. OMG. LMBO!!!!

I wasn't a fan. I'm not a big mango fan, though, so that's probably part of it. I did do it at one show and everyone else loved it though.

If I can't find jicama I use Asian Pear (apple pear) provides the little sweet crunch. Will have to try with pineapple though, the mangos I get in Canada are all rock hard and don't wedge well!

1. Am I the Only One That Does Not Like the Confetti Salsa? Is it me?

No, you are not the only one. Taste preferences are subjective and everyone has different tastes. It is completely normal to not like a certain type of salsa.

2. I do not care for the mango salsa-

That's okay, not everyone enjoys the same type of salsa. There are many other options available, so you can find one that you do enjoy.

3. I cannot find jicama easily-

Jicama can be harder to find in some areas, but there are usually specialty stores or markets that carry it. You can also substitute another type of crunchy vegetable in place of jicama, such as cucumber or radish.

4. My mangos are never ripe or rotten-

Mangos can be tricky to pick and they do have a short window of ripeness. Make sure to select mangos that are slightly soft to the touch and have a sweet smell. If your mangos are always too ripe or rotten, try buying them from a different store or asking for assistance in choosing ripe ones.

5. We made it and I think I don't like it- give me your feedback-

Sure, I'd be happy to give you some feedback. What specifically do you not like about the salsa? Is it too spicy, too sweet, or are there certain ingredients that you don't enjoy? Knowing this information can help in making adjustments to the recipe or finding a different type of salsa that may better suit your taste preferences.

I think I am going to offer Apple Berry Salsa instead

That sounds like a delicious alternative! It's always great to experiment with different types of salsa and find the one that you enjoy the most. Let us know how the Apple Berry Salsa turns out!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedchefDaly
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pjpamchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies