• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Aluminum in Food: Guest's Concerns & My Response

It's all in the PIG on CC. The sheet pans say aluminized steel so I don't know if it's just the core. Re: Aluminum?check this out... http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/consumer/con00036.htmlFor what it's worth, aluminum is chemically EXREMELY reactive, to the point that you will actually almost never come into contact with it, because it will immediately react with oxygen in the air to make Aluminium Oxide (it will make a *very* thin coating all over the aluminum object)... Which is extremely stable and UNREACTIVE! Acidic foods will react with it (Al2
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I had a guest last night ask about a few of our products. She says that she refuses to use anything with Aluminum in it because it can seep into your food. She kept going on and on about this. She had me check into our sheet pans - which are aluminized steel - and our grill basket - which is all steel. I just thought this was different and figured I would see if anyone else has heard of this.

Oh yah, and apparently I like the taste of aluminum according to her since I prefer to drink pop from a can!

Re: Aluminum?At one time aluminum was linked to Alzheimer's Disease, because of finding large deposits of aluminum in the brain stem (I think thats where they were finding it) of patients with Alzheimers. This caused a widespread fear of aluminum.

This has since been disproven. The aluminum wasn't from cans, or cookware, or deoderant, or using aluminum foil. It is something that is produced internally. Let me see if I can find some articles about it.

But, like all old wives tails, and viral emails...it's been spread around until it's considered the truth....like the thinking that eggs are bad for you.

Re: Aluminum?Eggs are bad for me? :D

Re: Aluminum?
Kathy's_Kitchen said:
Eggs are bad for me? :D

LOL - are you trying to start something?

Re: Aluminum?I had someone ask me last night about aluminum too (she was nice about it though). She was wondering if any of the aluminum core was exposed. She didn't buy any cookware - but she did spend $100! :D

pamperedlinda said:
I had someone ask me last night about aluminum too (she was nice about it though). She was wondering if any of the aluminum core was exposed. She didn't buy any cookware - but she did spend $100! :D

My guest didn't buy anything until I get back to her about those two products.

Re: Aluminum?I just had someone concerned about aluminum too, but was bought the sheet pan b/c it's an aluminum core so it's not on the surface. Thanks for the info WHY they are probably worried. Good to know!Just look at the Product info Guide on CC and if you don't get your answer, call/email HO. Then you'll have the answer from the company.

ChefBeckyD said:
At one time aluminum was linked to Alzheimer's Disease, because of finding large deposits of aluminum in the brain stem (I think thats where they were finding it) of patients with Alzheimers. This caused a widespread fear of aluminum.

This has since been disproven. The aluminum wasn't from cans, or cookware, or deoderant, or using aluminum foil. It is something that is produced internally. Let me see if I can find some articles about it.

But, like all old wives tails, and viral emails...it's been spread around until it's considered the truth....like the thinking that eggs are bad for you.

I figured this had something to do with it.

Jules711 said:
I just had someone concerned about aluminum too, but was bought the sheet pan b/c it's an aluminum core so it's not on the surface. Thanks for the info WHY they are probably worried. Good to know!

Just look at the Product info Guide on CC and if you don't get your answer, call/email HO. Then you'll have the answer from the company.

It's all in the PIG on CC. The sheet pans say aluminized steel so I don't know if it's just the core.

Re: Aluminum?check this out...

it's from the FDA. Keep reading until you get to the part specifically about aluminum cookware, and also anodised cookware.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/consumer/con00036.html

For what it's worth, aluminum is chemically EXREMELY reactive, to the point that you will actually almost never come into contact with it, because it will immediately react with oxygen in the air to make Aluminium Oxide (it will make a *very* thin coating all over the aluminum object)... Which is extremely stable and UNREACTIVE! Acidic foods will react with it (Al2O3), hence ketchup eating through alumunum foil, but anodized aluminum won't react in this way. So basically, everything you think of as being made of aluminum (foil, containers etc) is all coated with a microscopically thin layer of very hard and unreactive aluminum oxide, which is not likely to leach into your food. I can't comment so much on the anodised aluminium, but the article talks about that. And for what it's worth, I'm not a doctor, so I can't comment on the effects of Aluminum once ingested (although the article says it's not an issue), but chemically I can't see cooking with Aluminium being a problem, especially if it is sandwiched like in the cookware.

Either way, the amounts of aluminum that might be ingested through cookware are, according to this article, neglible and irrelevant relative to other sources of aluminum we are already ingesting!

HTH... I'll see if I can find anthing more up-to-date as well...

Also http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3864.htm

http://www.foodsafetysite.com/consumers/faq/index.html?m_knowledgebase_article=373

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - are you trying to start something?

:p Why not? I stayed FAR away from the political threads and now that the election is over I figured we might need something else to debate on! :rolleyes:

What is the concern about aluminum in food?

Many people are concerned about the potential health risks of consuming food that has come into contact with aluminum. This concern stems from studies that have shown a link between high levels of aluminum in the body and health issues such as Alzheimer's disease and kidney problems.

How does aluminum get into our food?

Aluminum can enter our food through various ways, such as cooking with aluminum cookware, using aluminum foil, or consuming processed foods that have been packaged in aluminum containers. It can also leach into food from aluminum cookware that has scratches or is worn out.

Is it safe to cook with aluminum?

The FDA has deemed aluminum cookware and foil to be safe for cooking and food storage. However, it is recommended to avoid using aluminum foil for acidic foods, such as tomatoes or citrus fruits, as they can cause more aluminum to leach into the food. It is also important to regularly check and replace worn out aluminum cookware to minimize the risk of aluminum leaching into food.

What are the alternatives to using aluminum in cooking?

There are many alternatives to using aluminum cookware and foil, such as stainless steel, cast iron, and ceramic cookware. These materials are considered safe and do not leach chemicals into food. For food storage, consider using glass or BPA-free plastic containers instead of aluminum foil.

Are there any health risks associated with consuming small amounts of aluminum in food?

The amount of aluminum that can potentially leach into food from cookware or foil is considered to be very small and typically not harmful to most healthy individuals. However, if you have kidney disease or are concerned about your aluminum intake, it is best to limit your use of aluminum in cooking and food storage and consult with a healthcare professional.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ivykeep
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefcharity
Replies
Views
mjbroncobabe
  • finley1991
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies