• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling as a Longtime Chef: What's Next?

In summary, Paulette has been struggling to book shows since her two performers left her team. She is considering quitting PC.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
I haven't been on here much since I now connect with many of my PC friends via FB. Many of you might not know me but I have been a cheffer for a long time. Here is my struggle...In the last week 2 consultant on my small team have told me they were done with PC (1 was my consistent performer). I have nothing on the books for Oct and have been struggling for a while. I just do not know what I want to do.

Last edited:
Thinking of you, Paulette. You have made so many important contributions on this board. I know sometimes it is hard to get bad news, especially when you are already struggling, it seems like it all piles up.Just remember, you have options. Only takes 150 to stay active, and even if you go inactive you can start again, though I'm sure it takes a extra effort to build up momentum. You are a sharp cookie, and I know you know that, just reminding you. Take your time, talk to your friends, and remember that nothing you decide is irreversible. Sometimes it helps me to remember that I can change my mind when I need to.Whatever you do, I thank you for the ideas and positivity I've gotten from your posts.

Paulette,

I have seen alot of post from you but I have to say, I have been in sales forever, not just with Pampered Chef. Often times when doors slam in our face over and over again we forget there is always a window open.

When I first started years ago I ended up becoming inactive and about a month ago I decided to begin again. Reason, My great Oncology sales job wen't "by by" thanks to the economy.

A friend and I came up with a great idea.

How many friends do you have that sell other "home based products" Mary Kay, Avon, etc? We decided to hold our oun bazzar in Nov at city hall, we contacted everyone we knew who sold other products and decided that it would be a great oppertunity to have people come by and learn about prouducts. Thoughts?

I wish you the best of luck.

Theresa

It's up to you. With the GREAT October & November host specials you are doing friends, family, and your customers a favor by calling them and seeing if they want to have a fun show with you!

Decide what you want and run with it. If you aren't doing shows then you can't be having much fun with this. Doing a 1 to 2 shows a week will make this fun and it will put new recruits on your team.

You have contributed a lot of great ideas here. Just put some focus on booking shows only on the days YOU want to work and I'm sure you will get what you need from this business.

Good luck, Elaine

Paulette, I know how you feel!! I didn't submit a thing in September, and have not submitted more than one show per month in a long time! In September I decided I was not going to stress about the fact I had nothing in the books (well, I did, but it cancelled). I did, however, follow-up with potential hosts, and last week I had an awesome (for me, anyway) party! I now have two people considering the business, and two shows for next month. My advice is breathe. God may just be telling you to rest for now. If He wants you to continue blessing others with PC, He will bring you the right host(s) for next month. This doesn't mean don't make contacts, but don't let your current calendar bring you down. If, by the end of this month, you don't have something booked for November, and you don't have the motivation to make those phone calls, then think about whether or not you should continue.

Paulette, you know I love you. Think about why you've been doing PC. Why have you kept it up all these years? Does that reason still apply? Think about your life without PC. What will you miss? If it's time to walk away, you'll be able to do it knowing you've thought it through. Only you can make that decision. Just don't let a slump force you into quitting a business you've enjoyed.

(((hugs))) only you can decide what is the best move. If you still enjoy doing Cooking Shows, get on the phone and do a booking blitz! You can get over this roadblock if you try. I'm sure it is disheartening to loose a performer on your team, but you can prevail. Your next recruit might do 3X what this one was doing. ;)

Hey Paulette! I know where you are coming from. As you may know from FB, in the last 2 years, I was pregnant (with high BP problems, had Alexis who was in NICU for 2 weeks, had complications from my surgery, and then put my house on the market (and it is still there) and moved from NC back to our hometown in MA (and staying at the SIL with MIL too, until the house sells).

Due to all this, my business has suffered as well. I never thought that I would have to worry about going inactive, but here and there, there have been months where I have not submitted anything for a month. Luckily, I can usually scrape something up the following month.

My family really needs the income, and I really want to work my business. With that being said, I know what needs to be done going forward.

~Pick up the phone and make customer care calls - JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!
~Find booths at the local Fall craft fairs and festivals
~Pamper a Business
~Hold your own show
~Call your past pantry customers and ask them if they need to reorder any seasonings or sauces
~Get out and about and make new contacts while wearing your logo and carrying a catty tote
~Check out the "Wheres the Lead" thread in the step up your business Forum for lead ideas.

If Pampered Chef is what you want to do, then you know what you need to do to make it work :). For me, I know I don't want to stop selling, so I will do what I can do to stay active, without getting stressed over the fact that I don't have a full calendar. But I will continue to work toward filling my calendar.

I have been in MA for 2 months now, and just held my 2nd cooking show (and have 1 on the books for November) and did my 2nd booth event. From yesterdays event, I have about 8 booking leads, and 1 serious recruit lead.

I totally agree with Sarah, Rae and Sheila too. It's what I was really trying to say :)

Thanks ladies... I do still love doing the shows, and being with all my PC buddies but I dislike always searching for shows and dealing with the problem people and hosts. I feel Burnt... Yes some soul searching is in order. I appreciate all the kind words and hope you all continue to have a wonderful business.

Related to Struggling as a Longtime Chef: What's Next?

1. What are some common struggles faced by longtime chefs?

Some common struggles faced by longtime chefs include burnout, long hours and physical strain, lack of creative freedom, and low pay.

2. How can a longtime chef overcome burnout?

To overcome burnout, a longtime chef can take breaks and vacations, prioritize self-care, delegate tasks, and find ways to reignite their passion for cooking.

3. Is it common for longtime chefs to experience physical strain?

Yes, it is common for longtime chefs to experience physical strain due to the nature of their work involving standing for long periods, repetitive motions, and heavy lifting.

4. What are some potential career options for a chef looking to transition out of the culinary industry?

Some potential career options for a chef looking to transition out of the culinary industry include food writing and blogging, catering, teaching cooking classes, food photography, and food product development.

5. How can a longtime chef advance their career within the culinary industry?

A longtime chef can advance their career within the culinary industry by pursuing additional education and training, networking with other chefs and industry professionals, and seeking out new and challenging culinary opportunities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PC Mom 55
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chefashleigh
  • jcsmilez
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Chefgirl2