• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Smashed Potato Soup...ingredient Question

In summary, Becky was looking for a recipe to make for her January hosts and she was having trouble finding one ingredient - refrigerated mashed potatoes. Neither Walmart nor her local grocery store had any. She could find frozen mashed potatoes in two pound cartons, but not plain mashed potatoes. Is this normal? She read that you can use instant mashed potatoes, but she's not a big fan of them. Any thoughts?
soulsing
Silver Member
For those of you who have tried the Smashed Potato Soup recipe...I had trouble finding one ingredient, and I need to know if I've lost my mind. Neither walmart or our local grocery store carries refrigerated mashed potatoes. I can find frozen seasoned mashed potatoes in two pound cartons for the oven or microwave, but not plain mashed potatoes. Is this normal or am I supposed to use the frozen kind? I read that you could use instant potatoes, but I'm not a big fan of those. Any thoughts?

I want to offer this recipe to January hosts, but may have to pass it up if my hosts are going to have trouble finding ingredients. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hmmm, not sure. In all of the local grocery stores, there are several refrigerated kinds to chose from. For instance - Bob Evans, Yoder, Simply Potatoes, Shedds, and the store brand - Meijers, which is what I usually use. They are found in a couple different locations though. Some are in with convenience meals, like the refrigerated Hormel meals, and the tubs of already cooked sloppy joe, taco, and BBQ meat. Others are located with the refrigerated biscuits, cookies, etc....more with the dairy/eggs....

I had one host who used leftover mashed potatoes, and that worked just fine.

Thanks for the info Becky. I had tried the diary cases, but I never thought to look over in the meat department where the tubs of sloppy joe, etc. are located. I'll check that out. Thanks again!

I usually use real mashed potatoes or instant. Those seem to be less expensive here - however, I do live in Idaho.

The recipe that's in the cookbook I have says you can use instant mash potatoes as substitute. "You can also substitute 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes for the refrigerated mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes made with instant mashed potatoes can be substituted for refrigerated mashed potatoes. Prepare 6 servings (3 cups) according to package directions for reduced-fat mashed potatoes". It mentions the reduced-fat version since it's in the "It's Good For You" cookbook. HTH!

Being a total potato head here, I made mashed potatoes for this soup myself. Just the way I usually make them, with tons of butter, cream, salt and pepper. So much for the "it's good for you" idea!!

:D
cmdtrgd said:
I usually use real mashed potatoes or instant. Those seem to be less expensive here - however, I do live in Idaho.

Funny!!!

Water is cheaper here in Minnesota, because we have over 10,000 lakes in our state (it's actually closer to 12,000 lakes)

Actually, I'm lying...water isn't cheaper here! :)

First time I made this recipe for practice, I bought the store bought Mashed Potatoes (and they in our area at least) are in the dairy section or deli section.

Way to expensive!!

When I had hostesses select this, I said, either make mashed potatoes from scratch for dinner night before and "have" extras, or make a batch of Potatoe Buds Instant. I'm a Instant Potatoe Snob, I only like Potatoe Buds, lol.

I love this recipe and so does my family. I generally even take and add some chopped ham and some other things.

HTH,

Lisa

My SD, when she knows that she'll be making this soup a lot (like when it's her recipe of the month), buys a large tub of the mashed potatoes from Gordon Food Service.

Rave Reviews for Smashed Potato Soup!Well, I returned to Walmart and discovered the refrigerated mashed potatoes in the meat department near the pork...thank goodness for all of you or I would have never found them:D I used Country Crock's Homestyle Mashed Potatoes and my husband flipped over this recipe. He was shocked at how deliciously tasty this soup was. It was very easy to fix and I will definitely be offering it to my January hosts. Here in Alabama, it would cost a host about $8-13 to purchase the ingredients depending on if she already had some of the ingredients in her kitchen. And 1/2 of the ingredients are not completely consumed in the recipe so the host would have extra ingredients. Thanks for your all your help! I love chefsuccess:chef:

soulsing said:
Well, I returned to Walmart and discovered the refrigerated mashed potatoes in the meat department near the pork...thank goodness for all of you or I would have never found them:D I used Country Crock's Homestyle Mashed Potatoes and my husband flipped over this recipe. He was shocked at how deliciously tasty this soup was. It was very easy to fix and I will definitely be offering it to my January hosts. Here in Alabama, it would cost a host about $8-13 to purchase the ingredients depending on if she already had some of the ingredients in her kitchen. And 1/2 of the ingredients are not completely consumed in the recipe so the host would have extra ingredients. Thanks for your all your help! I love chefsuccess:chef:
It is always a hit at my shows! Glad you were able to find the potatoes!

chefann said:
My SD, when she knows that she'll be making this soup a lot (like when it's her recipe of the month), buys a large tub of the mashed potatoes from Gordon Food Service.

That is a GREAT idea! I have a GC for Gordons burning a hole in my pocket - that's what I can use it for!

1. What are the main ingredients in Smashed Potato Soup?

The main ingredients in Smashed Potato Soup include potatoes, chicken broth, milk, butter, garlic, cheddar cheese, and bacon.

2. Can I use a different type of broth or milk in this recipe?

Yes, you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth for a vegetarian option. You can also use almond or soy milk as a dairy-free alternative to regular milk.

3. How many potatoes do I need for this recipe?

This recipe calls for 6 medium-sized potatoes, but you can adjust the amount based on your preference.

4. Can I make this soup ahead of time and reheat it?

Yes, you can make the soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, reheat on the stove or in the microwave, stirring occasionally. You may need to add a little extra broth or milk to thin out the soup.

5. Can I freeze any leftovers?

Yes, you can freeze any leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
smilesarepriceless
  • smilesarepriceless
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies