"Rust" spots on your forged cutlery?

Discussion in 'Products and Tips' started by dannyzmom, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyzmom

dannyzmom Gold Member

Well, for starters it's not rust, it's carbon spots...but that's another discussion.
    Just wanted to pass on this tip -- a smidge of Barkeeper's friend & a sponge...a few wipes...abd they're gone! Yippee!

2. whiteyteresa

whiteyteresa

Thanks for the info

I justed noticed spots on mine late Friday night and I was going to call HO and tell them

Thanks

~

3. Thank you! I was using my chef's knife today and saw them. Ill have to research carbon spots, because a customer was grilling me about it, and how stainless isnt supposed to rust, etc etc, and I told her I would find out why that happens.

Need to get some bar keepers friend. YAHOO! THANKS

4. dwyerkim

dwyerkim

I've notice a spot here and there too... do you know what causes them or how to prevent them in the first place?

5. krzymomof4

krzymomof4 Silver Member

Thanks Carolyn. I just had a customer email me and ask me if it was normal. So....get into the discussion; what are carbon spots. Just for future reference of course.

6. dannyzmom

dannyzmom Gold Member

That's a question for Ann, queen of endless information :)

7. chefann

chefann Gold Member

That's true, but our forged knives AREN'T stainless steel, they're carbon steel. Stainless is good for an environment that's likely to be hard on keeping things clean and dry. But stainless knives don't hold an edge as well as carbon steel.

In fact, this is what Alton Brown has to say about knives in Gear for Your Kitchen:
    There's more, but I'm getting tired of typing. :) Check out pages 68-69 of the book next time you see it at a bookstore.

8. grayby

grayby

From the Food Network:
    • Carbon steel knives hold their edges remarkably well, require careful cleaning and drying, and will eventually discolor, turning black over time. There's nothing bad about the discoloration; it's a matter of preference.
    • High-carbon steel gives you the sharpen-ability of carbon steel without the discoloration. Most professional knives are made of this material.

Cooking : Knives : How to Buy a Knife : Food Network

9. KellyRedHead

KellyRedHead

I have used some soft scrub on mine when I have had a rust spot and it takes it right off.

Kelly V.

10. ParishKitchen

ParishKitchen

Actually, our forged cutlery is not exactly made of carbon steel, as evidenced by the "Cr Mo V" designation.

From the cutlery PIG:

Here's a great explanation on cutlery steel grades from A Cook's Wares:

Now, I don't know whether our knives are made of "high carbon stainless steel" or "very high carbon stainless steel." I'd assume the latter, but I'll drop a line to HO to inquire.

HTH!

ETA: Ann, I have AB's Gear book too (and his other books, and the complete set of Good Eats DVDs, and... I'm a total dork)! :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  11. chefann

chefann Gold Member

Thanks, Parish Kitchen!

I had a bad experience with someone at a vendor fair and our knives. All the info I had in my head just took off when he started interrogating me about them. The funny thing (now that I look back) is that he kept telling me that "steel doesn't rust" and "good knives don't need a lot of care." He was so obviously set in his ideas about cutlery that I'm glad he never contacted me again (he never gave me his info, either).

I'm gonna print out what you posted and put it in my files.

12. abrahamlaur

abrahamlaur

i was wondering what those were on my forged cutlery

13. MissChef

MissChef Gold Member

Thanks for the info Carolyn and everyone! I just realized my Santoku has some spots on it! Where do you get barkeeper's friend again?:confused:
    TIA!

14. jenniferknapp

jenniferknapp Gold Member

Barkeeper's Friend is a powder that comes in a can....just like Comet. And you can find it right around the same area...cleaning supplies! (I think it is near th Old English and that sort of area of my local store)

15. PC_CPR

PC_CPR

My Bar Keeper's Friend and at least one of the "Cameos" also say they are good on ceramic glass top stoves. So I've asked one of my customers that had the "rust" on their Santoku what they used to clean their stove. If it's nonabrasive, good on steel like Cameo and Bar Keeper's Friend, then it's also good on our knives!

16. legacypc46

legacypc46 Gold Member

this thread is so helpful...thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.