• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrated with New Recruit: Is My Effort Wasted? | Venting Session

In summary, Paula's new recruit has not done anything with the business, and Paula is getting tired of her excuses. Paula is going to offer her some incentive, but is uncertain if she is genuine about wanting to join the business.
kisrae
Gold Member
I have a new recruit who has signed a month ago and hasn't done a thing with the business.
I invited her to a fair to get leads, coached her in making calls, she came to two cluster meetings, she came to a show with me last night and I found out :eek: SHE HASN'T OPENED HER STARTER KIT!:eek: Well to be fair she didn't tell me she hasn't open her kit but she asked which pan was in her set. I looked a little shocked.

I'm just getting worn out. I have two other recruits who work their business.

Thanks for the vent.

Are you sure she even has legitimate bookings? She should've had 4-6 bookings on her contract!

When I first started, my upline director asked for my bookings. She then sent a letter to each hostess herself, thanking them for helping me get started. After the show was held and submitted, she then sent each of them a Mini-serving spatula as a small thank you.

You may want to consider something similar, if it will help...?

Sorry, but she is starting to sound like a "kit-napper"!! I hope I'm wrong!

Best wishes,
Paula

I am going to offer her some incentive, but she put in dates for her contract and has done TONS of studying and reading on the products and Pampered chef. But just cant get going.

But the question remains...where are her first 4-6 hostesses? Shouldn't she have done their shows by now?

The dates for her first shows should have been in the first 30 days. If she is already past that time frame, what's going on?

If you think she's really going to do this, you may want to see if she is able to change her start date. We used to be able to move it ahead by one month, before the new Super Starter program came out. I don't know if it's still available now, though, since it's a new program. To do it in the past, she had to submit a written request to Field Services. It could even be done via email. Other than that, however, I don't know what to tell you, other than to be a little suspicious at this point, perhaps?

I've had the unfortunate experience of signing a few "kit-nappers"...or, as I prefer to call them...."liars and thieves"!! They are not pleasant to deal with, and it really irks me when it happens. (can you tell? lol)

I hope she isn't one of THEM.....:0)

Good luck to you!
Paula

When I first signed on with PC I didn't know anything before hand about what or how to do anything, so I just had to make up some dates to put on the contract. I'm still here 18 months later. That person might not have had any shows ready to book either, but just wanted to join. Would you refuse to let someone sign the contract if they didn't have 4 shows booked? I wouldn't.

When I first signed up, I didn't have any shows scheduled. I felt like I was pressured into signing the contract that day. My director filled in the dates knowing I didn't have a single show scheduled. A whole month went by and I had no shows scheduled, it wasn't because I wasn't trying, I just was so new I couldn't get any shows. I actually had to change my first starter month to the next month. Sometimes its hard to get shows when you are first starting....

You can't change the month now.

To get her orientated with her kit, or any recruit for that matter, my director had us fill out this questionairre. She doesnt do that anymore, now she has recruits, open their kit first, lol, and in the use and care guide, she has the recruit write down two important features about the items (for example, dishwasher safe, can be put in the microwave) and then she has them write an item or two it can be cross selled with.

It works out well.

Then she gives the recruit the PC pocket book with the catalog holder in the front as an incentive.

Just a thought!! She gives a deadline on this "assignment" also.

I have one of these. I don't think she meant to be a kitnapper, I just think she is really lazy and a bit dishonest. She did present ONE show in late July, which she split into 2 so she could get her piece of cookware. She hasn't done a thing since. I have talked to her, guided her, offered incentives, the whole bit. Finally I got tired of her excuses and told her Look- if you don't want to do this, I can't help you can I? She swore she did want to do it, so I told her I had given her all the ideas and words I had, and to give me a call when she had a show scheduled. I haven't heard from her since. It sort of sucks, but I can't really count on her (unless she pulls something out of a hat) so I am just on to find another recruit rather than worrying too too much about her.

The person that recruited me had another recruit that never did anything and was forgotten about until almost a year after being recruited, she got a notice that they had qualified and the pack of catalogues. I didn't realize they had that much time to qualify.

If she is going to fairs and one of your shows I don't think that she is a kit napper, they wouldn't put that much effort into getting free product would they?

Maybe she just needs a fire lit under her. I would sit down and talk to her and ask her what she wants out of her business and set in motion an action plan on achieving it.

All consultants have 12 months after they go inactive to submit $200 in commissionable sales to become active again. A recruit who didn't qualify would become active with the same $200 but she would need to also need to have reached a total of 4 shows or $1250 in sales to also qualify.

If a recruit goes inactive before qualifying the recruiter does not get the 2000 trip points or any other promotion that is going on at the time even if the person later qualifies.

When I first started I had someone go inactive for 1 month and then qualify and she lost her sales to that point and didn't get her trip points and I lost out on my trip points and at that time $50 PC$$ - my director hadn't told me to watch that with my recruit and she hadn't said anything to her either - I guess we were supposed to know it by osmosis. :grumpy:

ANYWAY! Now YOU know so keep it in mind. I ALWAYS remind my consultants when deadlines are coming so if they don't make it they can't come back to me and say they didn't know - I call and then follow up with an email reminder. They have said they really appreciate it and I know I would have!

I do feel that she wanted to start and not be a kitnapper. I really need to find out again what her goal is and encourage her to have her own show or catalog show. It's hard when I have two more ladies ready to sign and I'm waiting for her to start her business.
I think I'm having a hard time because I'm a self starter and didn't need to much help to start.
I'll be calling her Weds to see if she has anything going on.
Thanks you all. You are great!!

Tell her she'll have to send her kit back if she doesn't hold up her end of the contract. I've heard many successful recruiters do this. Maybe that will spark something.

Paula R. Lewis said:
Are you sure she even has legitimate bookings? She should've had 4-6 bookings on her contract!

When I first started, my upline director asked for my bookings. She then sent a letter to each hostess herself, thanking them for helping me get started. After the show was held and submitted, she then sent each of them a Mini-serving spatula as a small thank you.

You may want to consider something similar, if it will help...?

Sorry, but she is starting to sound like a "kit-napper"!! I hope I'm wrong!

Best wishes,
Paula

Oh Paula!!
What an awesome director !I love it!!
You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the letter she sends would you?

Paula R. Lewis said:
But the question remains...where are her first 4-6 hostesses? Shouldn't she have done their shows by now?

The dates for her first shows should have been in the first 30 days. If she is already past that time frame, what's going on?

If you think she's really going to do this, you may want to see if she is able to change her start date. We used to be able to move it ahead by one month, before the new Super Starter program came out. I don't know if it's still available now, though, since it's a new program. To do it in the past, she had to submit a written request to Field Services. It could even be done via email. Other than that, however, I don't know what to tell you, other than to be a little suspicious at this point, perhaps?

I've had the unfortunate experience of signing a few "kit-nappers"...or, as I prefer to call them...."liars and thieves"!! They are not pleasant to deal with, and it really irks me when it happens. (can you tell? lol)

I hope she isn't one of THEM.....:0)

Good luck to you!
Paula

We can no longer move start dates under any circumstances.
And, PS, I am with you on the liars & thieves attitude.

What???
missyciccolella said:
Tell her she'll have to send her kit back if she doesn't hold up her end of the contract. I've heard many successful recruiters do this. Maybe that will spark something.

That is a lie!! LOL
That wouldn't be good to threaten someone and then not be able to follow through. Unfortunately some people are kit nappers and don't intend to do anything more than get their products for a discount. We can't really know what a person's intentions are unless we know them personally. I would suggest you just keep trying to contact her and find out for sure if she means to ever have a show or not. I wouldn't waste my time on someone who is a kit napper. I'm sure she might not have meant to become a kit napper but if someone is not really motivated to do shows, not at all your fault since you have made many efforts to offer incentives and get her started, there is nothing we can do.

Debbie :D

I had the most bizarre kitnapper. She was a HO Lead. Signed after a 20 minute conversation on the phone. Came for a new consultant training and came again for a one on one traniing. About 3 days after signing, she registered for NC, booked flight and a hotel room with some of our clustermates. Then, the day before we were to fly out, she called and said she wasn't coming. Drove 1/2hr to my house to drop off $ to cover her space in the hotel room, never contacted HO to get her registration $ refunded and has not returned a call from me since. BIZARRE...

dannyzmom said:
I had the most bizarre kitnapper. She was a HO Lead. Signed after a 20 minute conversation on the phone. Came for a new consultant training and came again for a one on one traniing. About 3 days after signing, she registered for NC, booked flight and a hotel room with some of our clustermates. Then, the day before we were to fly out, she called and said she wasn't coming. Drove 1/2hr to my house to drop off $ to cover her space in the hotel room, never contacted HO to get her registration $ refunded and has not returned a call from me since. BIZARRE...

She did all that and never turned in a show? That is BIZARRE! She actually invested alot of time and money to just drop off the face of then earth......hmmmmm, I hope that isn't what actually happened!

Some will, some won't, oh, well. Who's next?

It's a numbers game, folks! Directors I've spoken with, say about half of new recruits actually launch. I mistakenly recruited a go-getter with Mary Kay. She signed with me in May. She became a MK director and has a MK car as of July. Of course, as a director with another company, she signed a non-compete clause--she cannot represent another company. My bad. Right person, wrong timing.

BethCooks4U said:
All consultants have 12 months after they go inactive to submit $200 in commissionable sales to become active again. A recruit who didn't qualify would become active with the same $200 but she would need to also need to have reached a total of 4 shows or $1250 in sales to also qualify.

If a recruit goes inactive before qualifying the recruiter does not get the 2000 trip points or any other promotion that is going on at the time even if the person later qualifies.

When I first started I had someone go inactive for 1 month and then qualify and she lost her sales to that point and didn't get her trip points and I lost out on my trip points and at that time $50 PC$$ - my director hadn't told me to watch that with my recruit and she hadn't said anything to her either - I guess we were supposed to know it by osmosis. :grumpy:

ANYWAY! Now YOU know so keep it in mind. I ALWAYS remind my consultants when deadlines are coming so if they don't make it they can't come back to me and say they didn't know - I call and then follow up with an email reminder. They have said they really appreciate it and I know I would have!

OH DRATS!! That stinks!
One of my recruits was doing good...her first show was $650, and she turned in another show to get the 2 sharp items in June...but she didn't do anything JUly or Aug...so she went inactive...turned in a small show ($160) in Sept...but her status is Inactive...and she never qualified! only 3 shows, and they don't add up to $1250! So I'll never get my 2000 points? AHHHH!!

My other recruit, only a couple small shows so far...hasn't qualified...
My question to all of you... How do you motivate them to not go inactive? For me it's a HUGE 2000 points...but they don't care about my points!
I know when I was new, I didn't care about loosing my career sales - at their point, they don't either.

I hear from them that they are busy, etc...I've given one of them a show and a fair booth I was asked to do...and the other one I gave a booking, I just don't know what else to do to motivate them...flyers to send them for ideas...

AND...I don't want them to think I am doing it for my own good...they both signed without hosting, and they both really want to do it, but they aren't concerned with doing a fantabulous job...it's more of a little something on the side for them...

:confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Half of new recruits actually launch.

That is good information actually. It makes me feel better about those who fizzle. I haven't had half fizzle, but enough to make me feel icky about it.

friday

ChefNic said:
My question to all of you... How do you motivate them to not go inactive? For me it's a HUGE 2000 points...but they don't care about my points!
I know when I was new, I didn't care about loosing my career sales - at their point, they don't either.
I hear you on that one - the last thing a new consultant is concerned about is their recruiter's goals (generally - there are exceptions). I've found that offering a small gift for qualifying within 90 days can be the "carrot" for them to qualify without going inactive (since they can't go inactive until their 90 days are done). I've offered a tote bag - it's not too expensive and is a useful item they can use to boost their business. You can offer a Merrill bag, or the catalog tote from supply order. Or something else that they seem interested in. :)

chefann said:
I hear you on that one - the last thing a new consultant is concerned about is their recruiter's goals (generally - there are exceptions). I've found that offering a small gift for qualifying within 90 days can be the "carrot" for them to qualify without going inactive (since they can't go inactive until their 90 days are done). I've offered a tote bag - it's not too expensive and is a useful item they can use to boost their business. You can offer a Merrill bag, or the catalog tote from supply order. Or something else that they seem interested in. :)

I saw other people on other threads say about using the Catalog Tote as an incentive and I really like that idea. I love mine and I think that every consultant should have one.

Great idea!
I've given them little things after they signed...Red PC coozie cup from Merrill, key chain (old style from Nancy's Artwork, I had extras)
I'm gonna think about the gift when they qualify though!
THX

Nicole,
Don't forget to crunch numbers for her about what getting the extra 2% means to the pocketbook. Some consultants probably get discouraged because their per show sales are not that high. So, being reminded about how to maximize the commission, I think, helps. Also, I heard one of the HO sales managers say that the PT/hobbyists who only do one or two shows a month have lower per show averages than those who do 2 shows per week or more. Remind them that the more shows they do, the better they will get at increasing their sales because they'll be more comfortable doing their shows--and it'll come easier to them to do them and enjoy themselves. Just my humble .02!

ChefNic said:
OH DRATS!! That stinks!
One of my recruits was doing good...her first show was $650, and she turned in another show to get the 2 sharp items in June...but she didn't do anything JUly or Aug...so she went inactive...turned in a small show ($160) in Sept...but her status is Inactive...and she never qualified! only 3 shows, and they don't add up to $1250! So I'll never get my 2000 points? AHHHH!!

My other recruit, only a couple small shows so far...hasn't qualified...

I hear from them that they are busy, etc...I've given one of them a show and a fair booth I was asked to do...and the other one I gave a booking, I just don't know what else to do to motivate them...flyers to send them for ideas...

AND...I don't want them to think I am doing it for my own good...they both signed without hosting, and they both really want to do it, but they aren't concerned with doing a fantabulous job...it's more of a little something on the side for them...

:confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:
It's not about you. It's all about them. They have to want it. No matter how much you want it for them (or yourself) they will not get inspired until they feel the fire. Why did they sign? What is their why? Find that out and you'll have something to help you help them.

As the wise PC sage Colleen told me a while back...you can't work harder on their business than they are willing to work themselves!

Thanks Lamar!

1. Why am I not seeing success with my new recruit?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and some may take longer to get the hang of things. It's also possible that your recruit may not have the same level of commitment or passion for the job as you do. It's important to have open communication and set clear expectations from the beginning.

2. How can I motivate my new recruit to do better?

Motivation is key in any job, and it's important to remember that everyone is motivated by different things. Talk to your recruit and find out what drives them. Perhaps they need more recognition or incentives to perform better. It's also important to lead by example and show them the benefits of hard work and dedication.

3. Is it normal to feel frustrated with a new recruit?

Yes, it's completely normal to feel frustrated when things don't go as smoothly as you'd like. Training a new recruit takes time and patience, and it's important to remember that everyone makes mistakes. Take a step back and evaluate the situation, and try to find ways to work through the frustration together.

4. How can I make sure my time and effort aren't wasted with a new recruit?

One way to ensure your time and effort aren't wasted is to have a solid training plan in place. This should include clear expectations, regular check-ins, and opportunities for your recruit to ask questions and receive feedback. It's also important to communicate openly and address any issues or concerns as they arise.

5. Should I give up on my new recruit if they are not performing well?

It's important not to give up on your new recruit too quickly. Everyone has a learning curve, and it's important to give them time to adjust and improve. However, if you feel that your recruit is not putting in the effort or showing interest in the job, it may be time to have a conversation about their commitment level. Ultimately, the decision to continue working with a recruit is yours, but make sure to have an open and honest discussion before making any final decisions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBevShu
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • peichef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
TammyStar
  • PCJenni