• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Venting my Frustrations with My Director

agree with you. Directors should offer incentives and challenges all along, not just when they need it. I think it would be great if directors took the time to get to know their consultants better. I feel as if I'm not really a part of the team because I'm not getting communicated with.
PCwithStay-C
I am just a little annoyed at my Director right now. Its most likely due to my extremly crappy week, but...I digress!!

I just hit my 90 days today. In my 90 days I have had MAYBE 10 emails from my dir. Mostly they have been 'we have to work as a team or ill lose my directorship' type emails. Alot were to set up a time when I first started, to call and let her know where I was going with the biz. I have only spoken to her once, almost a month after I had started. I know she was busy with her husband being deployed, and adjusting her family. But Im a little annoyed that now all of a sudden WE have to work as a TEAM to keep her a director!!

She also sent out a challenge today for our cluster, to get bookings and had something about prizes and what not!! Great incentives right?? Well she says that you have to attend cluster meetings or go to a hospitality meeting to get your incentives!!! May be a little difficult when you live on opposite sides of the country, and you never offer to find your recruit a hospitality cluster!!

I know Im not a great consultant....heck I couldnt even qualify in my first 90 days!! But Im a little bummed to be feeling like I need to be doing things that Im just not ready or able to do right now. I dont really have a bunch of time to be making phone calls and doing shows just right now. But now I feel like I HAVE TO book more shows so we can all help her out!! Which isnt why I started PC. I want to work on my terms, not on guilt trip terms!!

OK I know Im probably venting about stupid things! I should focus my crappy mood into something more productive!! But its 12am, Ive been house hunting for the past 3hrs and I have to give my boss my 2wks notice tomorrow!! So Im just not a happy camper right now. This has been stewing in my mind since I got her emails today!

Thanks for letting me vent! I just needed to get that out!!

Vent away! While I think it's great for directors to offer incentives & challenges, they should do so not just when they need it, but all along.

Anyway - the only person who can make you feel guilty about how you're working YOUR business is you. If you have things the way that you want them, then so be it. You're not in business for her, you're in business for you & your family. The Pampered Chef business is one so that you can be flexible when you need to be flexible.

Do what you need for your family. That's the beauty of what we do. I don't mean to come across as someone who doesn't think there's importance in being a part of a team & having cluster support. I completely think that there is. I just don't think that you should feel guilty. :)

JMHO....for what it's worth.

I agree with Crystal. You work for yourself. a team is important, but should be there to support YOUR needs. Your family and YOU come first. If needed, you can have that hospitality director that can help you fill your needs. Sounds like your director is thinking of herself. She should remember what SHE needs to do with her own sales and bookings to keep her directorship.

Thanks girls :) I know I shouldnt feel guilty about putting PC on hold for abit. I guess Im just a little bummed that my upline isnt as supportive as y'all are :D

Stacy, I just wanted to let you know that I can relate! I picked a pretty hectic time to become a consultant - we were getting ready to move, and preparing for DH to leave. Anyway, it took me over 90 days to qualify as well. I also get very little communication or support from my director. It seems to me that she tends to focus on only a few of her consultants, and leaves out the ones who don't do PC full time. Now that I've moved, I do have a hospitality director (which took her forever to actually remember to do), but she has a lot on her plate right now so I feel as if I'm bothering her sometimes.
Just hang in there, and do what works for you and your family! Remember, you're not alone! :)

Stacey Tate, I hear ya. I signed up on the internet and got assigned a random director.

Inexperienced doesn't even begin to cover it. Any productive meetings have been at another, more experienced director's house.

Unavailable by phone most of the time, communicating by emails full of swirling emoticons, she clapped her hands at a meeting 2 months ago and gave me a toddler sticker for getting two new recruits.

Last edited:
How do I change my director?

(edit - PCwithStay-C , I will post a new topic)

Last edited:
crystalscookingnow said:
Vent away! While I think it's great for directors to offer incentives & challenges, they should do so not just when they need it, but all along.

Anyway - the only person who can make you feel guilty about how you're working YOUR business is you. If you have things the way that you want them, then so be it. You're not in business for her, you're in business for you & your family. The Pampered Chef business is one so that you can be flexible when you need to be flexible.

Do what you need for your family. That's the beauty of what we do. I don't mean to come across as someone who doesn't think there's importance in being a part of a team & having cluster support. I completely think that there is. I just don't think that you should feel guilty. :)

JMHO....for what it's worth.
I totally agree. I have a team of almost all hobbyists and they do what they can/want to fit in. It's their businesses.

I really don't like it at all when PC does a team incentive. There was one about a year ago where if the team did so many shows total (based on the # in the cluster) each person who did 2 shows got the Santuko knife. We didn't earn it. One person (ONE) was really excited and worked hard but since the others did what they do it didn't happen. I felt so bad (for me too - I WANTED it too!) so I gave her the extra Forged Paring Knife that I earned as a director. And btw there were a small percent of clusters that earned that incentive.

I do team incentives here and there but I couple them with an incentive that each can earn on their own so if someone is excited about it they get rewarded.

As far as being in contact with consultants - that's our job! A director with a huge downline has no choice but to pick who she will call each week or even month but most of us can and should call! They train us to call the top consultants and the newest consultants every week and the others once a month. We should match our efforts with our consultant's efforts.

kspry said:
How do I change my director?

(edit - PCwithStay-C , I will post a new topic)
You can't unless you go inactive for 12 months. Or if she loses her directorship.

kspry said:
Stacey Tate, I hear ya. I signed up on the internet and got assigned a random director.

Inexperienced doesn't even begin to cover it. Any productive meetings have been at another, more experienced director's house.

Unavailable by phone most of the time, communicating by emails full of swirling emoticons, she clapped her hands at a meeting 2 months ago and gave me a toddler sticker for getting two new recruits.
Is the more experienced director in your upline? (is it your director's director?) If so, latch on to her for guidance. We hold our monthly meetings at my SED's home. My director has a small group that is local and so do a couple of other directors - we combine our meeting and my SED hosts us. I LOVE it that we are mixed with a couple of groups (and that we have the knowledge and support from our SED!), it allows for much more interaction and idea sharing.

btw: what's a toddler stick?

Linda,
Honey do we need glasses?
The first time I read it I thought it said stick too (I haven't had my coffee and a danged cricket chirped all night in my bedroom)
then I reread it
it's a sticker......... probably one with smiley faces or a smile!!

I was wondering too what a toddler stick was...lol then I reread it and i got it :p

Teresa Lynn said:
Linda,
Honey do we need glasses?
The first time I read it I thought it said stick too (I haven't had my coffee and a danged cricket chirped all night in my bedroom)
then I reread it
it's a sticker......... probably one with smiley faces or a smile!!
LMAO! I do have my glasses on and I had to read it two more times to get it! okay, it makes more sense now!

And, let me add......a sticker?!?! what a cheapo!

Stacey, don't let your director put additional pressure on you that you are not ready for. Have you talked to her to let her know that you are not getting the support that you feel you need to succeed? Maybe what she thinks you need and what you think you need are two different things.

For having to be at the meetings to get incentives, we have to as well in my cluster. If you don't go to the meeting you lose it. It sounds like your director has been extremely busy (no excuse) and it may have slipped her mind that you do not have a hospitality director. I would remind her that you do not have one and ask if she could find one for you because you would love to go to meetings (only if you want to go to meetings)

If you feel that an incentive is not attainable you could talk to your director and ask her to help you form a plan to attain it. If you still feel that it is not doable I would let her know. Sometimes people set goals that are so high that the person trying to attain it will give up. I would hate to see this happen.

pamperedlinda said:

You mean that you would not go out and recruit to get a sticker to put in y our sticker book :p Sorry I all of a sudden thought of my sticker book that I had when I was 8 years old!!

And CONGRATULATIONS ON TWO RECRUITS :D :D :D

Sorry you are experiencing this Stacey. Truly, all directors are not created equally. You need to communicate to your director that you NEED some hospitality information. It is her job to find you someone and communicate with that person.
Having half my team in hospitality, I can say that even finding a hospitality directors can be a chore. Oddly, many do not accept hospitality! I even had one director tell me that "This is not a sorority, but a professional business for her, and she DOES NOT offer foster care to her competition." It took me MONTHS to find someone for this one gals in particular. Just because PC gives us a name, doesnt mean that person will take our consultants on, and doesnt even ensure that that director will even return phone calls upon request of hospitality.

I do find that those who attend meetings, or hospitality meetings are more apt to be top performers. There is alot of training at your fingertips on the web... take as many online and teleclasses as you can. Does your director offer conference calls at all? I offer a weekly call on Sunday nights. To set up conference calling is free, and it cost only the long distance charge.
Sometimes I fear I am sending my peeps too much info by email. In the very least I try to contact my new people on a regular basis in their first 90 days, but sometimes that doesnt always work into my hectic life.

I think trying to get into a team and taking advantage of all they offer is key. Speak up and let your director know you are not satisfied. IF she had done her job correctly, I have every confidence that you would have qualified in your first 90 days. It is HER job to guide you as a new consultant. If her team is not performing then she should be doing some soul seaching on how she is treating her team.

I am certainly not a guru with this. I have been with the company for under 4 years, but have managed through God's wonderful Grace to build a team wide and deep. I would love to add you to my teams email list if you want... I send out at several emails a week, and invite you into our conference calls as well if you like. Let me know.... I know what it is like to start feeling alone. My director signed me and then wound up in the hospital for a month, so I felt like I started out my business totally alone.

BethCooks4U said:
As far as being in contact with consultants - that's our job! A director with a huge downline has no choice but to pick who she will call each week or even month but most of us can and should call! They train us to call the top consultants and the newest consultants every week and the others once a month. We should match our efforts with our consultant's efforts.

Not to hijack but the only problem that I have with this is that just because someone is not a Top Performer doesn't mean that they aren't trying...I think that the Top Performers should be the ones that they are calling less and the people who are not on the top need more help...My director focuses all of her energy telling one of the other consultants in our cluster how wonderful she is...UH HELLO...ok so she is wonderful now can we move on and can you help the rest of us be as "wonderful" as her...

chefheidi2003 said:
Not to hijack but the only problem that I have with this is that just because someone is not a Top Performer doesn't mean that they aren't trying...I think that the Top Performers should be the ones that they are calling less and the people who are not on the top need more help...My director focuses all of her energy telling one of the other consultants in our cluster how wonderful she is...UH HELLO...ok so she is wonderful now can we move on and can you help the rest of us be as "wonderful" as her...

I agree to an extent. I think that a directors attention should be based on what the consultant wants/needs rather than how they have already performed. If there is a consultant who is not doing much in the way of sales the director should know if they are struggling or if this is something they are doing as a hobby. If they are struggling then they obviously need more attention. I definitely agree that a director should not put more into a consutant's business than the consultant is willing to put into it.

I feel for you too, PCwithStay-C. My director only contacts me every great once in a while. (Usually after I have complained on here about her; I should be getting a call any time now!) I think we have only had one cluster meeting this entire year!

I totally agree with both of you, Sarah and Heidi and that's how I treat my consultants. If they ignore my attempts to contact I STILL call at least once a month and email at least a couple times a week. Those that respond get calls every week. I don't move them down to once or twice a month until they haven't responded for several months.

...but then my team is small. I only have 16-20 at any given time - so far.

BethCooks4U said:
I totally agree with both of you, Sarah and Heidi and that's how I treat my consultants. If they ignore my attempts to contact I STILL call at least once a month and email at least a couple times a week. Those that respond get calls every week. I don't move them down to once or twice a month until they haven't responded for several months.

From what I can tell from our email list, there is only 4 of us!! So having a big cluster is not a problem!!

If she's only got 4, then she won't be a Director much longer, as Directors must have 5 active in their downline at any given time. :) Unless she's also got someone who doesn't have email (which is completely possible).

ahammons said:
Stacy, I just wanted to let you know that I can relate! I picked a pretty hectic time to become a consultant - we were getting ready to move, and preparing for DH to leave. Anyway, it took me over 90 days to qualify as well. I also get very little communication or support from my director. It seems to me that she tends to focus on only a few of her consultants, and leaves out the ones who don't do PC full time. Now that I've moved, I do have a hospitality director (which took her forever to actually remember to do), but she has a lot on her plate right now so I feel as if I'm bothering her sometimes.
Just hang in there, and do what works for you and your family! Remember, you're not alone! :)

That is exactly what happened with me. I just moved from my apt this past weekend and will be moving states in a month or so. I want to make PC a full time biz once I move, but that wont happen for at least 2-3months. I really felt like I was bothering her when I first started. She kept telling me how busy she was with her husband leaving, and even the one phone call we had was very short. I feel like I would be bothering her to ask for more help :(

kspry said:

Congrats on the recruits!!! :thumbup: sorry bout the crummy congratulations though!!! Ill go look for your thread and read in a bit!!

BethCooks4U said:
I totally agree. I have a team of almost all hobbyists and they do what they can/want to fit in. It's their businesses.

I really don't like it at all when PC does a team incentive. There was one about a year ago where if the team did so many shows total (based on the # in the cluster) each person who did 2 shows got the Santuko knife. We didn't earn it. One person (ONE) was really excited and worked hard but since the others did what they do it didn't happen. I felt so bad (for me too - I WANTED it too!) so I gave her the extra Forged Paring Knife that I earned as a director. And btw there were a small percent of clusters that earned that incentive.

I do team incentives here and there but I couple them with an incentive that each can earn on their own so if someone is excited about it they get rewarded.

I like incentives, Im just kinda bummed that the incentive seems to be coming out of necessity rather than wanting her recruits to succeed!! I havent seen a PC team incentive before!! We probably wouldnt get that either :p

pamperedlinda said:
Is the more experienced director in your upline? (is it your director's director?) If so, latch on to her for guidance. We hold our monthly meetings at my SED's home. My director has a small group that is local and so do a couple of other directors - we combine our meeting and my SED hosts us. I LOVE it that we are mixed with a couple of groups (and that we have the knowledge and support from our SED!), it allows for much more interaction and idea sharing.

btw: what's a toddler stick?

This sounds so great...where can I sign up :D :blushing:

nikkijo said:
Stacey, don't let your director put additional pressure on you that you are not ready for. Have you talked to her to let her know that you are not getting the support that you feel you need to succeed? Maybe what she thinks you need and what you think you need are two different things.

For having to be at the meetings to get incentives, we have to as well in my cluster. If you don't go to the meeting you lose it. It sounds like your director has been extremely busy (no excuse) and it may have slipped her mind that you do not have a hospitality director. I would remind her that you do not have one and ask if she could find one for you because you would love to go to meetings (only if you want to go to meetings)

If you feel that an incentive is not attainable you could talk to your director and ask her to help you form a plan to attain it. If you still feel that it is not doable I would let her know. Sometimes people set goals that are so high that the person trying to attain it will give up. I would hate to see this happen.

Not in a million years!! Im gonna make PC work for me...just not right now :p

I havent spoken to her yet. I wanted to take some time to cool my jets before I went all gung ho about how annoyed I was. I will email her over the weekend and let her know how I feel about everything. I usually need a cooling off period when I get upset about things, otherwise I tend to say things that I dont mean.

I would love to attend meetings :thumbup: We had discussed getting a hospitality director a couple of times, but nothing came of it. Doesnt make alot of sense to now, maybe I can have something setup for when I move though!

pchefkristin said:
Sorry you are experiencing this Stacey. Truly, all directors are not created equally. You need to communicate to your director that you NEED some hospitality information. It is her job to find you someone and communicate with that person.
Having half my team in hospitality, I can say that even finding a hospitality directors can be a chore. Oddly, many do not accept hospitality! I even had one director tell me that "This is not a sorority, but a professional business for her, and she DOES NOT offer foster care to her competition." It took me MONTHS to find someone for this one gals in particular. Just because PC gives us a name, doesnt mean that person will take our consultants on, and doesnt even ensure that that director will even return phone calls upon request of hospitality.

I do find that those who attend meetings, or hospitality meetings are more apt to be top performers. There is alot of training at your fingertips on the web... take as many online and teleclasses as you can. Does your director offer conference calls at all? I offer a weekly call on Sunday nights. To set up conference calling is free, and it cost only the long distance charge.
Sometimes I fear I am sending my peeps too much info by email. In the very least I try to contact my new people on a regular basis in their first 90 days, but sometimes that doesnt always work into my hectic life.

I think trying to get into a team and taking advantage of all they offer is key. Speak up and let your director know you are not satisfied. IF she had done her job correctly, I have every confidence that you would have qualified in your first 90 days. It is HER job to guide you as a new consultant. If her team is not performing then she should be doing some soul seaching on how she is treating her team.

I am certainly not a guru with this. I have been with the company for under 4 years, but have managed through God's wonderful Grace to build a team wide and deep. I would love to add you to my teams email list if you want... I send out at several emails a week, and invite you into our conference calls as well if you like. Let me know.... I know what it is like to start feeling alone. My director signed me and then wound up in the hospital for a month, so I felt like I started out my business totally alone.

Thanks Kristin :) I didnt realise that getting a hospitality director could be so hard! Guess not all PC consultants are as nice as the ones on here :D I will email you about joining your email list :) Thanks again!!

chefann said:
If she's only got 4, then she won't be a Director much longer, as Directors must have 5 active in their downline at any given time. :) Unless she's also got someone who doesn't have email (which is completely possible).

Could be!! I know there was only 3 on the email list when I started in July, and she had another recruit sign last month I think. :confused: I dont know!!

Sorry for all the posts, Im a little brainfried today!!!

I am going to email my director over the weekend and let her know how I feel, and what I feel I need to be getting from her, and her from me so that I wont be feeling this guilt.

Thanks so much for everyones opinions, ideas, input!! I know I have alot of learn about this business and Im learning more every day from all of you :D THANKS :thumbup: :balloon:

PCwithStay-C said:
Not in a million years!! Im gonna make PC work for me...just not right now :p

I havent spoken to her yet. I wanted to take some time to cool my jets before I went all gung ho about how annoyed I was. I will email her over the weekend and let her know how I feel about everything. I usually need a cooling off period when I get upset about things, otherwise I tend to say things that I dont mean.

I would love to attend meetings :thumbup: We had discussed getting a hospitality director a couple of times, but nothing came of it. Doesnt make alot of sense to now, maybe I can have something setup for when I move though!

Feel free to vent here as much as you need before you talk to your director :) Very Happy to hear that you are not going to let your director affect your business negativily.

Sometimes we are a better resource and support system than your own team. We are all here for you!!

I have read thru this thread a few times and I want to make sure that I understand before I comment....Stacey, you have contacted your Director several times during your first 90 days and she has not returned your calls or e-mails? How many times have you contacted her?

Just want to make sure that I understand that you are attempting to contact her and tell her that you are having a hard time -- and she is ignoring you.....I can't tell by the previous posts how many times you have tried to get in touch with her....

Last edited:
I'm not a director, but I can't imagine not taking a consultant in on hospitality. I love to teach other people what I've learned. The more the merrier. I had a hospitality director once and she was awesome. I sort of have one now even though my director is in the same area as me. My director isn't very into her business. Knowing this, the "hospitality" director just lets me join in. Hopefully you'll find great hospitality soon.

I am hoping that your director takes the time to ask YOU what YOUR goals are and then asks you how she can help you achieve these goals.
Maybe she is reading this and will realize she needs to be a "balanced" director and be there for her whole team.

JAE said:
I'm not a director, but I can't imagine not taking a consultant in on hospitality.

Somtimes it's just not that easy! And it's hard to comment when you're not in the situation... the reality is, until you are, it's hard to say what you will do.

I will welcome anyone into hospitality... almost. When my director moved, I decided NOT to open my meetings to her team because her meetings were always a b**** fest and she had a solid group of negative consultants. (One of the major reasons I devloped a TEAM of my own so that I could break away and do my own meetings). After Leadership a few years ago, we did a combined meeting (my team and hers... the first time my team had met her team). 8 of the 10 from my team who attended called me within 2 days asking me that we NEVER do a combined meeting again! They wanted to go get pumped up and all they heard was how hard it is to book shows, how hard it is to recruit, how much they hated the new products! It was HORRIBLE!!!!

With that, I think that expectations need to be set for the meeting. I expect everyone to come and contribute and if they have an issue, to address it with me one on one as to not sour the meeting with their problems. It's a sales meeting...not a therapy session.

I had a new hospitality consultant come in August... she e-mailed me and decided not to come back because she wanted me to hand-hold her and coddle her along... that's not my style. This is a business and I treat it as such. Hopefully she'll decide to come back when she decides to treat it like a business... not like a sorority meeting (no offense there... just using it as a example).

Every director has their own style just like every consultant has their own style. We all have to do what is right for us. It's not fair that your director is now wanting to work as a "team" just because she's in jeopardy of losing her status... I understand that as I am the only consultant on my director's team that is working and my sales alone keep her from losing her status. But I've severed ties with her and am now working directly with my NED. She is coaching me and it's amazing. You'll find that person... go to you upline! And if her director isn't a good fit for you, go to her director and keep going until you find a match!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents with a quick post...my current director is actually an Exec. Director and it is a pleasure. I have not had good luck in the past and even had some issues with my recruiter that were not good and, IMO, not handled professionally.
My message...it was my motivation to become a director even more so I could hold my own meetings. I am not the best director and lately really stink, but I do the best I can. My team is awesome and is supporting me through a difficult couple of months.
Look forward. Forget about her, it sounds like she is not running her business very well and will soon go by the wayside. When my ED was not my director, I did try to stay in touch with her for inspiration and it helped me succeed.
Remember, this is YOUR business, you make it what you want to be...IN SPITE of your director!!
Good Luck!

pamperedlinda, It was one of those discontinued "presentation PC" stickers from Merrill. I wasn't impressed.

I guess I can stick it on my fine-looking blue-jeaned ass and walk around town and get more commission overrides for her....oh, don't mind me.

I just got back from a family reunion on husband's side. It was fun.

Sooo..... you sent the email this weekend... how was it responded to?? I certainly have been thinking about you Stacey! Keep us posted!

BethCooks4U said:

I don't consider that a small team!! I can't wait for the day (and it will happen at some point in my lifetime) when I have 16-20 consultants under me!!

jwpamp said:
I have read thru this thread a few times and I want to make sure that I understand before I comment....Stacey, you have contacted your Director several times during your first 90 days and she has not returned your calls or e-mails? How many times have you contacted her?

Just want to make sure that I understand that you are attempting to contact her and tell her that you are having a hard time -- and she is ignoring you.....I can't tell by the previous posts how many times you have tried to get in touch with her....
I was wondering the same thing.....

jwpamp said:

NO, I have not been contacting her, that is not what I was annoyed about. What I was annoyed about was the fact that the only communication I have had from her is when she needs/wants our team to do something. I have pretty much kept from contacting her about things because she always seemed so busy. I brought all my questions to my recruiter, or here to CS. Hope that makes it clearer?!?!?!

Thanks again for everyones advice and support. I am onto about my 5th draft of an email to my director!! For some reason evertime I write it it sounds too harsh, and I dont want to come off that way. I need to sit down when its not the end of a crappy work day and write it :)

Oh my goodness Stacey! I just ran across this thread and have to say SORRY!! You have found a director here in your new town that is accepting hospitality and welcomes you to our meetings!!

i look forward to meeting you soon!! By the way, will you pm me your address so I can get you the directions?

Thanks! Talk to you soon!

1. Why haven't I received much communication from my director in my first 90 days?

It's possible that your director has been busy with personal matters, such as her husband being deployed. However, it's understandable that you may feel frustrated by the lack of communication.

2. Why does my director suddenly want to work as a team to keep her directorship?

It's common for directors to rely on their team's success in order to maintain their own directorship within the company. It's important for them to have a strong and active team to continue growing their business.

3. Why is it difficult for me to attend cluster meetings or hospitality meetings to earn my incentives?

It sounds like your director may not have offered any options for you to attend these meetings, even though she is requiring it for the incentive. This can be frustrating, especially if you live far away from her.

4. Why do I feel like I have to do things I'm not ready or able to do in order to help my director?

It's understandable that you may feel pressured to book more shows and make more phone calls in order to help your director maintain her directorship. However, it's important to prioritize your own needs and not feel guilty for not being able to do certain tasks at this time.

5. Is it normal to feel frustrated and vent about my director and Pampered Chef?

Yes, it's completely normal to feel frustrated and need to vent about work-related issues. It's important to find a healthy way to release these frustrations and find a solution or cope with the situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cenouctosturo
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cenouctosturo
  • sfdavis918
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • PC Mom 55