• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is Recruiting a Requirement for Success in Direct Sales?

In summary, the majority of the incentives at PC do not require any recruiting, but the "big" incentives (trip, elite seller status) do. Although you do not want to recruit, NEVER withhold anything from someone who may need what we have to offer. Myself and my family were hit hard by the economy and if it weren't for PC I don't know where we'd stand right now. My PC income has helped us afford our home every month. If you were to recruit, does your D or above offer to do the training?And I would never withhold the opportunity! I just don't push it at all! I mention the opportunity once during my presentation, if someone were to express any interest I would certainly help
JennLizFran
Gold Member
I hate to complain about PC. I love the products! I enjoy parties and vendor events! I get excited about the new catalogs and trying each new product and recipe! Some months I sell thousands of dollars at parties, vendor events, and individual orders. And though the money, and normal monthly consultant incentives are great, I would love the opportunity to earn some of the larger incentives. But PC makes that almost impossible due to the recruiting requirements! I love the product, I love what I do, but I have no desire to recruit! I know we should "share the opportunity" and that that's how you make the big bucks, but I just don't want to! I have a full time job, a family, and I am a consultant for another company. I enjoy those things too! I don't want to have other consultants that I HAVE to be there for. And I feel if I can not be a GREAT leader, then I should not be a leader at all. And I honestly have no desire to give up my other DS company. I don't recruit for them either!

Not trying to start a debate or anything, don't want advice on how to recruit; I just needed to vent and I am sure there are others out there that feel the same way!
Thanks for being a sounding board (my hubby just doesn't get it)

:)

JennLizFran said:
I hate to complain about PC. I love the products! I enjoy parties and vendor events! I get excited about the new catalogs and trying each new product and recipe! Some months I sell thousands of dollars at parties, vendor events, and individual orders. And though the money, and normal monthly consultant incentives are great, I would love the opportunity to earn some of the larger incentives. But PC makes that almost impossible due to the recruiting requirements! I love the product, I love what I do, but I have no desire to recruit! I know we should "share the opportunity" and that that's how you make the big bucks, but I just don't want to! I have a full time job, a family, and I am a consultant for another company. I enjoy those things too! I don't want to have other consultants that I HAVE to be there for. And I feel if I can not be a GREAT leader, then I should not be a leader at all. And I honestly have no desire to give up my other DS company. I don't recruit for them either!

Not trying to start a debate or anything, don't want advice on how to recruit; I just needed to vent and I am sure there are others out there that feel the same way!
Thanks for being a sounding board (my hubby just doesn't get it)

:)

I hear your concern and have heard others express the same as well. I do know that the majority of the incentives do not require any recruiting. The monthly incentives (HWC products, sling bags..etc) never require recruiting. I know tho that you are referring to the "big" promo's.

Heck...even the trip doesn't require recruiting if you are an elite seller. Yes, I know the elite seller status is not "do-able" for many but it is an option.

Here's my take on recruiting: even tho you do not want to recruit for personal reasons...NEVER withhold anything from someone who may need what we have to offer. This biz has changed many lives and we need to focus on helping others. Myself and my family were hit hard by the economy and if it weren't for PC I don't know where we'd stand right now. My PC income has helped us afford our home every month.

If you were to recruit, does your D or above offer to do the training?

And I would never withhold the opportunity! I just don't push it at all! I mention the opportunity once during my presentation, if someone were to express any interest I would certainly help them in any way I could. I would most likely pass along their info to another local PC rep who would be able to better help them. Making sure they had the best PC experience possible and the most help available to them would be more important than the possible commissions.

My "recruiter" also was not really into recruiting, and I wish she had just passed me along to another consultant. I signed under her and she was almost never able to answer my questions, and I don't even think she is still a consultant! Once she referred me a show, over a year ago, and that was the last I have heard from her! I have received soooo..... much more help from everyone on here!

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am also not actively recruiting. I offer it and would be more than happy to have someone under me but I do not push. It is not something I want to do. My recruiter was not very helpful to me either. She said that I could sit with her while she prepped for her show but would rather me not attend a show to "learn" the business, and she also told me my 9mo, who was in and out of the hosp at the time, was spoiled (that is totally off point but it bugged me), offered phone training only to be unavailable when I could do it, and the 3 meetings I attended ended up being just me sitting in her house. She is no longer with PC!I personally do not persue the recruiting aspect right now but that doesn't mean it will not change in the future. So I completely understand your gripe.

Thanks Amy! I think it is great that there are people out there growing their teams, and being incredible leaders! It's just not for me, and it disappoints me that that keeps me from being able to earn trips such as the taste of travel. I think PC has really started to push the recruiting aspect in the last year or so, and it honestly makes me a little less excited about my business...

That' so not cool to not have a reliable person above you. It makes such a huuuuggge difference.

What I suggest is seeking the next person above you (above your recruiter) and ask for help...ANY help and support you need.

If I didn't have the support I have w/ my D I would have been outa here 2.5 years ago.

JennLizFran said:
Thanks Amy! I think it is great that there are people out there growing their teams, and being incredible leaders! It's just not for me, and it disappoints me that that keeps me from being able to earn trips such as the taste of travel. I think PC has really started to push the recruiting aspect in the last year or so, and it honestly makes me a little less excited about my business...

I do agree PC has been pushing the recruiting aspect more and more the past year or so.

It does make a big difference! I've been able to make my business successful because I love the products, and fortunately have been able to find customers who love the product too! But it would still be nice to have a local friend to help you!

My recruiter with the other DS company is AMAZING! She supports me in every way possible! Heck, she supports me with PC too! She is always offering a helping hand, a party she can't cover, vendor events she can't do (or if she is doing them she still suggests them for PC)! She started out as a PC party I met at a vendor event, and it went from there! She has become such a good friend!

The only person I know in my upline (well know who they are, haha) is Patsy McGovern. Who is very nice, but I think she has soooo many people below her that the sort of relationship I have with my other recruiter isn't really possible. And at this point in my business, I think it's a little late to seek someone out.

I understand for the most part why PC does it, it's just a bit of a bummer, I don't think it was like this when I started! I just fear we're heading in the way of a pyramid.... (no one shoot me for that!!!) LOL

Liquid Sky said:
That' so not cool to not have a reliable person above you. It makes such a huuuuggge difference.

What I suggest is seeking the next person above you (above your recruiter) and ask for help...ANY help and support you need.

If I didn't have the support I have w/ my D I would have been outa here 2.5 years ago.

I lucked out because when my recruiter left I was reassigned to her ED, and she is AWESOME, however she lives 2500 miles away from me but all the same she is great!!!!!

No one is going to shoot you. We are a pyramid!

Cathy Boucher said:
No one is going to shoot you. We are a pyramid!

EVERY organization is a pyramid. Church, corporation...etc.

JennLizFran said:
It does make a big difference! I've been able to make my business successful because I love the products, and fortunately have been able to find customers who love the product too! But it would still be nice to have a local friend to help you!

My recruiter with the other DS company is AMAZING! She supports me in every way possible! Heck, she supports me with PC too! She is always offering a helping hand, a party she can't cover, vendor events she can't do (or if she is doing them she still suggests them for PC)! She started out as a PC party I met at a vendor event, and it went from there! She has become such a good friend!

The only person I know in my upline (well know who they are, haha) is Patsy McGovern. Who is very nice, but I think she has soooo many people below her that the sort of relationship I have with my other recruiter isn't really possible. And at this point in my business, I think it's a little late to seek someone out.

I understand for the most part why PC does it, it's just a bit of a bummer, I don't think it was like this when I started! I just fear we're heading in the way of a pyramid.... (no one shoot me for that!!!) LOL

We aren't a pyramid and never will be - you can still have a business without building a team and you still have to work your business even when you have a team. PC does give incentives for just sales but they really want to reward their consultants who have a well rounded business (selling & recruiting). I was sad when they first required the yearly incentive to require a recruit (it was the first level before they did away with the non-trip level). I had never recruited before, not because I didn't try, it's just not my strong point. Well things worked out and that year I signed two people. The next year I earned it again! And last year I earned the Toronto trip which required 5 recruits. It's all in your attitude. If you want to earn the incentive and it requires having someone join your team, then that's what you need to work on.

wadesgirl said:
We aren't a pyramid and never will be - you can still have a business without building a team and you still have to work your business even when you have a team. PC does give incentives for just sales but they really want to reward their consultants who have a well rounded business (selling & recruiting). I was sad when they first required the yearly incentive to require a recruit (it was the first level before they did away with the non-trip level). I had never recruited before, not because I didn't try, it's just not my strong point. Well things worked out and that year I signed two people. The next year I earned it again! And last year I earned the Toronto trip which required 5 recruits. It's all in your attitude. If you want to earn the incentive and it requires having someone join your team, then that's what you need to work on.

AGREED. :thumbup: It's not about ME. When I'm sharing the opportunity, it's not about ME, it should be about what someone else may need. The shift in perspective can make the difference. You don't have to make a big deal about it. Like several mentioned, just letting them know it's an option, and having a "Think about it" packet available if they want to look at it.

And EVERY organization is a pyramid. From the government, to every major Corporation- to even your family. You have someone in charge, and those under that person and so on and so forth. It is not a SCHEME however- a.k.a- SCAM. We have a product to sell, and everyone from the newest consultant to the highest level National Exec. Director must SELL PRODUCTS to achieve anything. My NED does 15 shows a week.

I loved how Robin House puts it - it's not "recruiting" - because that sounds like a Military Recruiter or that you are "tricking" someone into somethign they don't want. She shares our best product- and that is the business.

You said you have months where you have thousands in sales. What is your commission check like on those months?? Do you think that someone at your show(s) could have their life changed or maybe some financial burdens relieved if they knew that they could earn that kind of money by doing what you do?

I think WE are spoiled. Pampered Chef gives us SO MANY incentives- and not all or even half are linked to recruiting!! Every month nearly, we seem to have a new sales incentive. This month it's all of the HWC products. Last month it was the Sling bag and PC Bucks, plus double points. Yes, they also offer recruiting promotions, but if I am a consultant who happens to be doing alot of work that DOES involve recruiting, shouldn't I get recognized for that as well? What motivation would anyone have to stretch for those golden prizes if they were available to anyone with just sales? BY THE WAY_ you can get them with JUST SALES. You just have to sell $10,000 a month! ;)

No one is forcing anyone to recruit. Thankfully, we don't HAVE to recruit to stay active or in the business! :eek: wouldn't that be scary!? If you don't want to, don't. But I bet if you started asking, maybe you'd be surprised. Not everyone says yes....it takes alot of no's.

Bobbi....VERY well said!!!!!

I'm not opposed to recruiting, but I haven't been successful either. I enjoy the monthly promotions and I've gotten most of them since I joined. It's not even the monthly recruiting promos that bug me, but the Taste of Travel. I will continue to work hard at what I do, but it would shock me if I recruited 4 consultants who qualify between now and July. I hate when there's something out there and I can't get it despite my effort. I think with recruiting sometimes it's as much a matter of the right person at the right time as it is anything else. I'm only 9 months in, so I still have a lot to learn and I'm not sweating the lack of recruits. It's more having this great trip opportunity out there that I can't get if I don't recruit.

Don't give up yet- change your mind set. Take classes, and then take some more. Practice on your friends/family. I've recruited my husband amny times!! Practice, practice, practice. The more you hear yourself saying it, the more comfortable you feel saying it.
Would you recommend a fabulous restaurant? or a good movie? It's no different! You've had success and you are sharing how.
You can do it!!!

I was soooooo there when I first started! I went 17 months with ZERO interest in trying to recruit and then had my first drop in my lap. I've always been a teacher at heart and a trainer in the work force. So at the point where I was starting to train my first PC recruit, I decided that I had the fever. Here I am into month 18 since I started recruiting and an Advanced Director with 19 still in my personal team, a director with 10 and another director with 14 ... that's 45 in my downline!!!

Don't get me wrong, if my recruiter had pushed me into recruiting back then there's NO way that I would still be with PC. I do not like for anyone to tell me what to do! LOL I'm very grateful that she was laid back and let me work my business the way I wanted. But in personal retrospect, I'm kicking myself in the bum for waiting so long!!! 35 months in & I've only been recruiting for 1/2 the time. Imagining where I could have been if I had starting recruiting earlier is just more than I want to think about. ;)

For what it's worth, I'd be willing to pay a referral fee if you want to start trying to recruit & sending them my way! We could base it on when they qualify. ;)

Have you ever attended a cluster meeting where you can meet other consultants in your cluster? I love going to meetings and learning tips and ideas from people not in my direct line! My recruiter is a "friend" (more friend of a friend really) We, however, became more "friendly" with PC. However, she left the business. Fortunately I have a D I love and have become great friends with as well. And my SD is amazing too and still runs our monthly cluster meetings. My D tries to have focus meetings but many won't/can't come so they are fewer and farther between. However, when they were more regular we had consultants that weren't in D's downline but still in SD's because they liked the training and intimacy of smaller group and their D's didn't offer it. Do you know who your director is? If no one in your cluster is local you can't find a hospitality?

I understand for the most part why PC does it, it's just a bit of a bummer, I don't think it was like this when I started! I just fear we're heading in the way of a pyramid.... (no one shoot me for that!!!) LOL[/QUOTE]

It is a pyramid but not a scheme! :) :D I was a little bummed with the push on recruiting at first too. It actually made me question my business. It was reminding me of Avon and why I left there myself. However, I have my first recruit and am loving it. And I soooooooooooooo want both trips! I can understand your dilemma with another DS company since you can't have one if you are a Director! So if you are happy with what you are doing then more power to you and I'm sure you're sales are great!

cmcchef said:
I'm not opposed to recruiting, but I haven't been successful either. I enjoy the monthly promotions and I've gotten most of them since I joined. It's not even the monthly recruiting promos that bug me, but the Taste of Travel. I will continue to work hard at what I do, but it would shock me if I recruited 4 consultants who qualify between now and July. I hate when there's something out there and I can't get it despite my effort. I think with recruiting sometimes it's as much a matter of the right person at the right time as it is anything else. I'm only 9 months in, so I still have a lot to learn and I'm not sweating the lack of recruits. It's more having this great trip opportunity out there that I can't get if I don't recruit.

It's all about consistency! If you are only doing 1-2 shows a month it will take you longer to find people interested in the business. If the trip is something you really want, you need to put your mind to it and get in front of enough people!

It is not a pyramid, but a business. We all have words that push our buttons and pyramid in reference to Pampered Chef is mine. I find it very disrespectful.

As far as recruiting, isn't it great that we do not require our consultants to recruit? In some DS companies they do. You get the opportunity to earn free products without recruiting, jewlery without recruiting, free conference without recruiting, a paycheck without recruiting. We just require it for the trips and only if you do not want to be an elite seller. Know what you are capable of and be happy when you earn it. If recruiting is not for you then, why spend time worrying about it?

However, I truely believe that the biggest thing that stands in the way of recruiting is fear. I did not recruit a single person in my 1st 2 years. I never even talked about it. Then my host said she wanted to do this, and I said, "really?" I was floored. I saw several previous messages saying that they do not recruit and the reasons were about them: I can't be a good leader, I don't know enough, I don't have enough time to mentor. These things are all about you and your fear of failure. Of course you want to do a good job, but so what if you don't have all the answers? I was pretty much an orphan until I became a director. If you want it bad enough you will be successful and so will your recruits. I find blaming things on a bad upline is just an excuss. When I started, Chefsuccess was a yahoogroup, there were no online trainings on consultant corner, no personal websites, no PC Newswire sending us the latest information.

So the decision is yours, share the opportunity or don't and be fine with your decision.

Some really just don't want to. Those should pass any interest to their upline.

I don't have a lot of contact with my director and I, if I have ever personally met her at all, it's been several years. I have been passed from person to person twice now as people have quit or lost directorship. It is much more fun and really helpful to have people to talk to about the business and to be a sounding board to give a different opinion when you have a problem or concern.

That is one of the reasons WHY I recruit. Sure my new recruit still comes to me for advice and with questions and for training but she is someone I can talk to about the business. Recruiting has actually helped me become more successful because of the relationships I've been able to build with my recruits.

Just a different way to look at it.

esavvymom said:
AGREED. :thumbup: It's not about ME. When I'm sharing the opportunity, it's not about ME, it should be about what someone else may need. The shift in perspective can make the difference. You don't have to make a big deal about it. Like several mentioned, just letting them know it's an option, and having a "Think about it" packet available if they want to look at it.

And EVERY organization is a pyramid. From the government, to every major Corporation- to even your family. You have someone in charge, and those under that person and so on and so forth. It is not a SCHEME however- a.k.a- SCAM. We have a product to sell, and everyone from the newest consultant to the highest level National Exec. Director must SELL PRODUCTS to achieve anything. My NED does 15 shows a week.

I loved how Robin House puts it - it's not "recruiting" - because that sounds like a Military Recruiter or that you are "tricking" someone into somethign they don't want. She shares our best product- and that is the business.

You said you have months where you have thousands in sales. What is your commission check like on those months?? Do you think that someone at your show(s) could have their life changed or maybe some financial burdens relieved if they knew that they could earn that kind of money by doing what you do?

I think WE are spoiled. Pampered Chef gives us SO MANY incentives- and not all or even half are linked to recruiting!! Every month nearly, we seem to have a new sales incentive. This month it's all of the HWC products. Last month it was the Sling bag and PC Bucks, plus double points. Yes, they also offer recruiting promotions, but if I am a consultant who happens to be doing alot of work that DOES involve recruiting, shouldn't I get recognized for that as well? What motivation would anyone have to stretch for those golden prizes if they were available to anyone with just sales? BY THE WAY_ you can get them with JUST SALES. You just have to sell $10,000 a month! ;)

No one is forcing anyone to recruit. Thankfully, we don't HAVE to recruit to stay active or in the business! :eek: wouldn't that be scary!? If you don't want to, don't. But I bet if you started asking, maybe you'd be surprised. Not everyone says yes....it takes alot of no's.

You put this very well. We are a Pyramid, but not a scheme. My first thought was Family is a Pyramid, and you hit the nail on the head. I think Pyramid Scheme is something that really sets people off, but that isn't at all what anyone is saying here. My 3yo is definitely an integral part of our family, but he is definitely not at the top making the decisions.
I agree that if you don't feel supported by your director, then go up. My recruiter is my director. She was my consultant for years before I signed. About 6 months in, I felt a bit neglected by her, but once I talked to her, realized that she was dealing with some health issues at the time. She also works full time. She is great and really supportive, and we have learned how to communicate better. I have also gotten great support from my Exec. Director (who is my recruiter's recruiter). She is always open to talking and helping to train me. I love being able to go to both of them. They are very different and are experts at different things and I love having both of them as resources.

I think the point she is making is that she doesn't WANT to recruit because she knows that she doesn't have the time/effort/ability to put into someone. Some recruits are really needy and if she doesn't have the time to deal with them or even the non-needy ones for that matter, then it's not a good thing to recruit. And then to further it, she doesn't have the support above her to help.

I'm in the "I wouldn't mind if someone dropped into my lap" boat but I'm not a pusher by any means and have a hard time with recruiting. I think the recruiting requirements for the big trips stink too but I guess the more people we bring in, the more money they make to pay for trips. So we have to look from their perspective. Still stinks though, girl. I'm with ya!

I also wanted to add... One of my new recruits sends me a text if she can't reach me by phone (instead of leaving a voicemail) and I absolutely love it. I would have never thought to ask her to do this, but she did it and when I commented on it, she was excited b/c she thought she might be being too pushy. If I am on the phone, I couldn't check her voicemail, but I can look at a text, I know exactly what she wants when I call her back so that I am not scrambling trying to find something while I am on the phone.
I guess my point is communicate. She now knows that this is awesome for me. We both have kids at home and she works full time and I homeschool, so when we are talking we are usually juggling 10 other things at the same time. All relationships take time and learning.

I have a lady on my team that has no desire to recruit either. I have told her I will give her free products if she will recruit. And I have told her that she will have to do nothing. All she has to do is get them to talk to me and I will do everything else and sign them up under her name. She is an awesome consultant, consistently puts in at least 2 shows, usually over $1000 a month. She doesnt come to meetings, doesnt need me to babysit her, and calls me when she needs me. I went to Junior High with her so we have known of each other for a long time so she knows Im not ignoring her. Thats just the type of consultant she is. And thats fine with me and herThe reason I want her to recruit is bc if something ever happens and she decides to quit then there goes that active line. At least if she had 2 or 3 ppl under her then that line will always be active. AND some of those ppl may want to promote up to Director etc and enrich their lives with the opportunity. My point in saying all of this is: If you dont want to recruit, find someone above you that will take care of them for you. If they are anything like me they wont have a problem with it. As a Director I will make the same under you or under me so what difference does it make if Im doing all the work, none.And if that doesnt work for you, send them all to me and I will take care of them, even from afar!!!!! ;) lolI will have a recruit in Utah soon, gotta love it ;)

1. What is the purpose of "Need to Gripe - Recruiting"?

The purpose of "Need to Gripe - Recruiting" is to provide a platform for Pampered Chef consultants to share their experiences and concerns about recruiting new team members.

2. Who can participate in "Need to Gripe - Recruiting"?

Any active Pampered Chef consultant can participate in "Need to Gripe - Recruiting". This includes consultants at all levels, from new consultants to seasoned leaders.

3. Can I share personal information or sensitive topics on "Need to Gripe - Recruiting"?

Yes, "Need to Gripe - Recruiting" is a safe place for consultants to share their thoughts and concerns. However, we ask that you refrain from sharing any personal information that could be used to identify yourself or others.

4. How can "Need to Gripe - Recruiting" help me as a consultant?

"Need to Gripe - Recruiting" provides a space for consultants to connect with others who may have faced similar challenges in recruiting. You can learn from others' experiences and gain new insights on how to improve your recruiting efforts.

5. Can I offer advice or support to other consultants on "Need to Gripe - Recruiting"?

Yes, we encourage consultants to offer support and guidance to others on "Need to Gripe - Recruiting". However, please be respectful and refrain from making unsolicited sales pitches or promoting your own business. This group is meant for sharing experiences and offering support, not for self-promotion.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• leshelman
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • mom4angela
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • finley1991