• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why do alligators have webbed feet?

In summary, My daughter came home with Math homework on a half sheet of paper with 5 questions - I could answer all but 1. The question is - What is 4 names for 14? I think the teacher is looking for math combos like 10+4, 11+3, 12+2, etc.
whiteyteresa
My daughter is in 3rd grade and she came home with Math homework on a half sheet of paper with 5 questions - I could answer all but 1

The one question is -

'What is 4 names for 14?'

What does this mean?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Teresa

:chef:

Would it be something like Square Root of 196?

That question doesn't even make sense because it's grammatically incorrect. Shame on that teacher.

What were the other questions like?

Does she mean:

1 ten plus 4 ones
2 times 7
hmm...what else???

No matter what this teacher means, he/she should be blasted for the incorrectly conjugated verb.

Here is a copy of the paper - I had the wording wrong

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    689.5 KB · Views: 320
I only have one kid, and she's only in preschool, but that question totally jumps out at me as on a completely different level than the others! The others are straightforward, only one right answer. This one can be interpreted so many ways. I'd almost venture to guess that the teacher is trying to see how many kids turn in blanks and how many get adult help.That being said, I'm thinking along the same lines as Ann F.

7+7 and 2 x 7 would be what I would write in the others....

In thinking a little more, I don't think I would include multiplication problems in the answer, as it looks like they're just working on addition and subtraction. But the possibilities are endless there10 + 4
11 + 3
12 + 2
etc.

You could put 14 in 2 other languages, like Spanish = catorce (I think, sp??) and French I'd have to look up, but you could put it in whatever other language. Just an idea.

Yeah, the basic addition is probably more like it, but who the heck knows? I'd probably put a little note with that one saying even you couldn't figure out what she meant (this coming from a former teacher). It's definitely not clear!

elijahstrust said:
7+7 and 2 x 7 would be what I would write in the others....

That is exactly what I was thinking

Thanks everyone - at first I was feeling stupid

Now I see that I'm not the only one not understanding the question

I wish they would come home with a book and not just a half sheet of paper

Last edited:
janezapchef said:
You could put 14 in 2 other languages, like Spanish = catorce (I think, sp??) and French I'd have to look up, but you could put it in whatever other language. Just an idea.

Nah, that's Italian cuisine that means "hunter-style" with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, herbs, often bell pepper, and sometimes wine.

I remember DS having that type of homework but I don't remember what grade. I agree that the teacher is probably looking for math combos.

KristinS said:
In thinking a little more, I don't think I would include multiplication problems in the answer, as it looks like they're just working on addition and subtraction. But the possibilities are endless there

10 + 4
11 + 3
12 + 2
etc.

My daughter's are also in 3rd grade and they are working on multiplication right now...

of course I don't remember working on this until I was in 5th grade...:confused:

susanr613 said:
I remember DS having that type of homework but I don't remember what grade. I agree that the teacher is probably looking for math combos.

Wow, all these food references. Is a math combo like Supersizing addition into multiplication?

I'm a fifth grade teacher. This is my best answer:14.0 (making it a whole number)
fourteen (word form)
10+4 (expanded form)
1 ten, 4 ones

lockhartkitchen said:
I'm a fifth grade teacher. This is my best answer:

14.0 (making it a whole number)
fourteen (word form)
10+4 (expanded form)
1 ten, 4 ones

This 2nd grade teacher agrees with you! :)

Looking at the paper.. I would say 4+10, 9+5, 12+2, etc.. that fits the sheet. It may be ambiguous on purpose.. to see what they come up with. Please let us know the correct answer. lol

What about XIV The roman 14 ?

lockhartkitchen said:
I'm a fifth grade teacher. This is my best answer:

14.0 (making it a whole number)
fourteen (word form)
10+4 (expanded form)
1 ten, 4 ones

This former 4th grader teacher also agrees :) I'd guess that they have probably discussed questions similar to this one in class.... does DD have any ideas as to what the teacher is looking for??

kaiser said:
What about XIV The roman 14 ?

That's also a good one. :)

peichef said:
This former 4th grader teacher also agrees :) I'd guess that they have probably discussed questions similar to this one in class.... does DD have any ideas as to what the teacher is looking for??

I did ask her - she said that they went over this on Monday (Lucy came home from school last Friday because of getting sick in school and then on Monday she still had a fever - can't go to school if you have a fever - then on Tuesday and Wednesday, schools were closed due to ice and snow and then back to school on Thursday.

I sent a note to the teacher telling her that we didn't understand the question and that, if possible, please send home another page explaining/examples the problems that she needs to do. I also have a parent/teacher conference next Wednesday and I will ask a few more questions

Thank You all for your help

Lucy also says Thank You

leftymac said:
No matter what this teacher means, he/she should be blasted for the incorrectly conjugated verb.

spoken like a true teacher.

thecougchef said:
spoken like a true teacher.

I was surprised he didn't provide the French word for 14. Keith, here's your opportunity to teach!

Okay, we're dying to know. Let us know what the answer is. I forgot to check with my friend (3rd grade teacher) at school today. She does "Daily math". This paper is from that program. I need to look at the answers. I'll check Monday. How many of us would ever want to be on the show "Who's smarter than a fifth grader?"

I would flunk that show! Ask me high school questions and I'm good... 5th grade and I'm lost, go figure!

In my science class yesterday, I was teaching a comparison of reptiles and amphibians. The poster had been traced in pencil including the words (from my poster I used from my class last quarter). I teach this class 4 times. The teacher who had traced it for me put the word webbed feet next to reptiles instead of amphibians. As I was teaching I started saying the alligator had webbed feet. Oops. I think that's supposed to be the frog. The kids caught it! "I've never seen webbed feet on an alligator." "I haven't either, honey. Let's white that out and put it on the frog."

Related to Why do alligators have webbed feet?

1. What is the purpose of the "so offTopic -Math Question" product?

The "so offTopic -Math Question" product is not a Pampered Chef product. It appears to be a math question or puzzle that is unrelated to our company.

2. Can I purchase the "so offTopic -Math Question" product from Pampered Chef?

No, the "so offTopic -Math Question" product is not available for purchase from Pampered Chef. We specialize in kitchen tools, cookware, and food products.

3. Is the "so offTopic -Math Question" product suitable for all ages?

We cannot provide information about the "so offTopic -Math Question" product as it is not a Pampered Chef product. We recommend checking with the manufacturer or seller for age suitability.

4. How do I solve the "so offTopic -Math Question" product?

As we are not familiar with the "so offTopic -Math Question" product, we are unable to provide instructions or tips for solving it. We suggest reaching out to the seller or searching for online resources for assistance.

5. Is the "so offTopic -Math Question" product covered by Pampered Chef's warranty?

No, as the "so offTopic -Math Question" product is not a Pampered Chef product, it is not covered by our warranty. Our warranty only applies to our own products that are marked with our logo and purchased through an authorized consultant or our website.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vanscootin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
  • pamperedalf
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefshawna
  • kdangel518