• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why are my brownies not cooking evenly in the Large Bar Pan?

In summary, the conversation is about using brownie mixes in a large bar pan and having issues with the brownies coming out gooey. The original poster used 2 packages of generic store brand mix and added extra water to make cake-like brownies, but they still did not turn out correctly. They were advised to add an extra egg instead of water and also to use 1 larger box of mix instead of 2 smaller ones. It was also mentioned that baking the brownies in a thinner layer will reduce baking and cooling time, which is beneficial for a trifle recipe.
jj16
Gold Member
I have a couple of shows in a couple of weeks. For one of them I'm doing the Black Forest Trifle. I usually don't have problems with basic brownies in the Large Bar Pan but last night I did. I got 2 packages of generic store brand brownie mix. I added the extra water for cake like brownies it said 18-21 minutes @ 350. I did it for that and it was still gooey I did another 5 minutes Still gooey I did it another 15 then it was hard around the edges.

It didn't come very far up on the sides of the pan should I do a third mix?

Thanks

jj16:confused:

Out of curiosity, why did you do 2 mixes when the recipe calls for 1. Was the weight on 1 mix not enough? Should be 18 to 21 oz. Also, most mixes I have used it says to make cake-like brownies increase eggs to 3. Nothing about water.

Just wondering...

I usually don't have a problem using 1 box of brownie mix in the large bar pan.

Thanks for replying. The mix I used was 10.25 oz. For cake type brownies it says to use 3 tablespoons water and it says nothing about increasing the number of eggs. Is there a particular brand you have had good results with?jj16

I see why you are using two boxes, usually a 18-20 oz box works perfect in the bar pan. I usually just use one of the name brands they usually aren't that more expensive to use. Plus if you buy 1 larger box you might save more money that way.

Yeah, I use generic too but always the box that equals the same weight as the name brand.

jj16 said:
I have a couple of shows in a couple of weeks. For one of them I'm doing the Black Forest Trifle. I usually don't have problems with basic brownies in the Large Bar Pan but last night I did. I got 2 packages of generic store brand brownie mix. I added the extra water for cake like brownies it said 18-21 minutes @ 350. I did it for that and it was still gooey I did another 5 minutes Still gooey I did it another 15 then it was hard around the edges.It didn't come very far up on the sides of the pan should I do a third mix?Thanksjj16:confused:
I think your issue is with the instructions for cake-like brownies. It should have been to leave the water alone and add an extra egg. If you're using 2 small mixes together, use 1 extra egg for both mixes combined (total of 3 eggs). Adding extra water to a mix will greatly increase the time needed to bake out the extra moisture, especially at altitude.Cake and brownie mixes made in the large bar pan will not completely fill the pan, but that's OK. Baking them in a thinner layer reduces the amount of time needed for baking and cooling - which is what you want for a trifle recipe, just to reduce the total time needed to complete the recipe.

I usually use Betty C. or Duncan H. and have no problems cooking them in the bar pan -- however, if I make brownies without adding a lot of extra goodies (nuts, etc., etc.) I use the medium bar pan for one large box.

1. What is the best way to clean the Large Bar Pan?

The best way to clean the Large Bar Pan is to hand wash it with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Avoid using harsh chemicals or metal utensils, as they can damage the pan’s non-stick coating. For tough stains or burnt-on residue, soak the pan in warm water and dish soap before washing.

2. Can the Large Bar Pan go in the dishwasher?

No, we do not recommend putting the Large Bar Pan in the dishwasher. The high heat and harsh chemicals can damage the pan’s non-stick coating. Hand washing is the best way to keep your pan in good condition and extend its lifespan.

3. Can I use metal utensils on the Large Bar Pan?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on the Large Bar Pan. Metal utensils can scratch or damage the non-stick coating, making it less effective. It is best to use silicone, plastic, or wooden utensils when cooking with this pan.

4. What is the maximum temperature the Large Bar Pan can withstand?

The Large Bar Pan is oven-safe up to 450°F (232°C). Avoid using the pan under the broiler or on the stovetop, as this can damage the pan and void the warranty.

5. Can I use the Large Bar Pan in the microwave?

No, the Large Bar Pan is not suitable for use in the microwave. Only use the pan in the oven for baking, or in the refrigerator or freezer for storage. Using the pan in the microwave can damage the non-stick coating and is not safe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Renee Anderson
  • Products and Tips
Replies