• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's On the Menu for Spring/Summer '07? Join Our Recipe Slam!

A Recipe Slam is when a group of chefs get together to create a dish that uses only in-season, cheap ingredients.
chefkeri
Attached is some info on my cluster's recipe slam for this new season. Hopefully it will give you all some info & ideas that you can use. Seasoned/Newbie's ~~ there's something for everyone.

Happy Cheffing! If anyone would like to add to this and re-post w/ your experiences or cluster ideas ~ I'm totally cool w/ that; and welcome the new info. xox

Attachments

• recipe slam lime berry mousse.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 442
thanks for the tips -- this is VERY helpful!

$37.23 sure sounds high for one Trifle recipe. Was it the cost of the fruit that
brought it up so high? I paid 99 cents for one lemon today, and $3.99 for 16 oz. container of Strawberries. Could we substitute other less expensive fruits
and have it still be colorful? I figure it only cost $7.01 to make the Black Forest Cherry Triffle with chocolate cake and 2 boxes chocolate puddings, can of cherries, and cool whip, last week. 16 oz. of Blueberrys, here, were $8.99, today, and I passed them by. I will wait until they are in season here!

OUCH!! $37.23? I don't think I'll be suggesting this one for shows until fruit prices come down. Thanks for posting this info.

A little too pricey for me at the moment. If it is going to cost me nearly $40 for a dessert, I am buying one already made.

At our cluster meeting the group who assembled the Lime Trifle decided it wasn't a good show recipe. I wish I could remember why, I thought it was just because it didn't use enough high-end products.

But it sure was yummy!

Lucky for me...
Grandmarita said:
$37.23 sure sounds high for one Trifle recipe. Was it the cost of the fruit that
brought it up so high? I paid 99 cents for one lemon today, and $3.99 for 16 oz. container of Strawberries. Could we substitute other less expensive fruits
and have it still be colorful? I figure it only cost $7.01 to make the Black Forest Cherry Triffle with chocolate cake and 2 boxes chocolate puddings, can of cherries, and cool whip, last week. 16 oz. of Blueberrys, here, were $8.99, today, and I passed them by. I will wait until they are in season here!

I didn't realize until a couple of months ago that in my backyard are the little key limes growing on a tree. Free Limes; the kind that makes GREAT key lime pie too.

liz

Omg
Grandmarita said:

I love blueberries especially fresh ones, but at 8.99 no way!!! once in a great while I'll spend 2.99 for a pint, but very very rare

Quick Easy Trifle?So has anyone made a quick easy trifle that does not contain chocolate? And is a more in our price range for a host?

Thanks!

Has chocolate, but YUMMY.I made this at my last show on Saturday (last show until after baby that is!).

Sorry, it has LOTS of chocolate, but was !!SSSSOOOO!! good!

I posted this on my cluster loop, and am just quoting what I posted...

At my show [Saturday], I made a Trifle using: Dark Chocolate brownies (made the night before at home in Rectangle Baker); 2 cans strawberry pie filling; white and dark chocolate chips; and a large tub of Cool Whip. I started with a thin layer of Cool Whip, then brownies, pie filling and white chocolate chips; next layer the same, but with the dark chocolate chips; final layer using both types of chip, and ended with Cool Whip. When I pulled it out of the refrigerator, I grated both types of chips on the top using the Deluxe Grater (sold one of those too!).

I make the Trifle at the beginning of my shows while introductions are going on, showing how easy it is to do while multi-tasking. I declared this one almost too good for human consumption! Definitely "Much too good for children!" (to quote one of my favorite lines from the movie "Matilda").

Okay...not to sound stoopid or anything, but what in the world is a "Recipe Slam"?

At our cluster meeting we demo'd the Lime-Berry Trifle - being winter there isn't much in-season fruit and what's there is expensive.

We used frozen strawberries, a small container of blueberries, two kiwi fruit and, of course, limes. It tasted awesome. I think you definately can substitute other fruit.

Another thing, pound cake was expensive, I don't know why. So we ended up making a lemon-popyseed cake (I can't remember from what cookbook). We cooked half in a torte pan and the other half in the deel dih baker just to see the difference. You'd be amazed.

Linda

This "recipe slam" (as I understand it...I'm not too sure if I'm right), seems like a great idea for clusters to do each season. So each consultant took a new recipe, purchased the ingredients, made the recipe, then wrote up a summary of ingredients, purchasing issues, prep, and other ideas. Do you have any others?

adventurechef said:
Another thing, pound cake was expensive, I don't know why. So we ended up making a lemon-popyseed cake (I can't remember from what cookbook). We cooked half in a torte pan and the other half in the deel dih baker just to see the difference. You'd be amazed.
You can also make pound cake by adding a box of instant pudding mix and an extra egg (use 4 if the box says to use 3, etc.) to a cake mix. If you bake it in the bar pan, it'll cool quickly once you turn it out, and can easily be cut into cubes.

RecipesYup, it was expensive. I forgot to mention that I purchased double the fruit, because I wasn't sure it would be enough and wanted a "real" idea. I surely could have cut all of my purchase in 1/2! :rolleyes:

Also too, the fruit is very high here in the North East, but I also chose "time saver" and purchased fruits that were pre-cut & packaged. You can DEFINATELY cut costs & use different fruits & cake. :D

I wanted it to be authentic and to try it the one time as described in the SS. Also w/ a whole pound cake, you can't fit the lid on the trifle once it's done. :p

And YES, for those who don't know; a "recipe slam" IS when each consultant takes a recipe from the current Season's Best and brings the final product to their cluster meeting for everyone to evaluate. We do this every season and it's a huge hit! It is worth suggesting to any cluster that doesn't do this.

I usually do my own at home too. I have all my family & friends over for a movie & "food". I pick an appetizer, main dish, & dessert. Then have them critique <---sp? the food.

Hope this thread give you some ideas & info you might otherwise not have received. I also am sure that any pricing on groceries will vary w/ store, purchase choice & region. Happy Cheffing! :D

They have cake mix that is poundcake. I made one for my show yesterday ($.99) and I bought two 16oz. strawberry cartons for $3.99 each. I also bought heavy whipping cream ($2.00?). I sliced most of the strawberrys ahead of time with the ESP and put them in the fridge with a tiny bit of water and sugar. I showed the forged cutlery and cutting board with measuring cups slicing the poundcake, and I whipped the cream in the stainless bowl with the balloon whisk. I added some powdered sugar with the new measuring cups. I showed scrapers while assemling, did some strawberries in front of the crowd and assembled the layers. It looked awesome (my mom took pics, LOL!) and cost $11!!

Gillian, that sounds like a great recipe, and so simple! Glad to have something that is not Chocolate for folks who have to avoid Caffeine after 6PM, like me. Good to see the price is more affordable too, and surprised that your Strawberry price is the same as in my area. I guess I would have thought yours might be more.

I plan on trying this out today, but what about leftovers? Since it has sherbet in it, do I have to store it in the freezer, or will the fridge do?

gilliandanielle said:
They have cake mix that is poundcake. I made one for my show yesterday ($.99) and I bought two 16oz. strawberry cartons for $3.99 each. I also bought heavy whipping cream ($2.00?). I sliced most of the strawberrys ahead of time with the ESP and put them in the fridge with a tiny bit of water and sugar. I showed the forged cutlery and cutting board with measuring cups slicing the poundcake, and I whipped the cream in the stainless bowl with the balloon whisk. I added some powdered sugar with the new measuring cups. I showed scrapers while assemling, did some strawberries in front of the crowd and assembled the layers. It looked awesome (my mom took pics, LOL!) and cost $11!!
At least your way seems more affordable! Thanks, Gillian for sharing!

pamperedgirl3 said:
I plan on trying this out today, but what about leftovers? Since it has sherbet in it, do I have to store it in the freezer, or will the fridge do?
Good question with the sherbert situation.

Grandmarita said:
Gillian, that sounds like a great recipe, and so simple! Glad to have something that is not Chocolate for folks who have to avoid Caffeine after 6PM, like me. Good to see the price is more affordable too, and surprised that your Strawberry price is the same as in my area. I guess I would have thought yours might be more.
They were on sale- the regular price was $5.69 :eek: :eek:

Related to What's On the Menu for Spring/Summer '07? Join Our Recipe Slam!

1. What is the "Spring/Summer '07 Recipe Slam"?

The "Spring/Summer '07 Recipe Slam" is a promotional event hosted by Pampered Chef to showcase new and seasonal recipes for the upcoming spring and summer months.

2. How can I participate in the Recipe Slam?

To participate in the Recipe Slam, you can sign up to host a cooking demonstration with a Pampered Chef consultant or attend a cooking show as a guest. You can also visit our website to view and try out the featured recipes.

3. Are there any special offers or discounts during the Recipe Slam?

Yes, during the Recipe Slam, we offer special discounts and promotions on featured products and recipe collections. These offers are only available for a limited time, so make sure to take advantage of them while you can!

4. Can I submit my own recipe for the Recipe Slam?

Unfortunately, we are not accepting submissions for the Recipe Slam at this time. However, you can share your favorite recipes with us on our social media pages or through our website.

5. Will there be any live cooking demonstrations during the Recipe Slam?

Yes, we will be hosting live cooking demonstrations with our consultants during the Recipe Slam. These demonstrations will feature the new and seasonal recipes and give you the opportunity to see them being prepared and taste them for yourself.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • pampchefrhondab
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB