• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Kind of Vehicle Should I Get?

In summary, the Ford Escape and Chevy Equinox are both good cars, but the Saturn ION is better because it has more features.

What should I get?

• Saturn Vue

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Ford Escape

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Chevy Equinox

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Saturn ION

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
I went out Saturday and I got a new car. I started to have major problems with my old one and after a terrifying trip to Delran (NJ over an hour away), we decided it was time. So, we went to the dealership Saturday and I got a new car--BRAND new!! Its a black 2007 Saturn ION with everything I wanted. I am thrilled! They had the 0% program for only 36 months, and I thought I'd be pushing myself with the payments. But with my good credit (yea--anyone who's been through a divorce will get it!) I was able to get a 4% interest rate with $1000 cash back. There was a 2005 with 21000 miles on it, which I thought was a little high. The price was much lower but because of the difference in rates, the brand new car worked out to be $15 more a month! Woo Hoo!!! Oh, and did I mention, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the onstar!!

I really wanted an SUV, but figured I could always get a bigger car if I needed one later on. At least the payments with this one are managable.

Sounds like you're in orbit around Saturn's IONosphere!

I am totally in the Staurn orbit!

There's just nothing like that new care smell! Congratulations Anne!

Everyone in my family has at least one Saturn in their driveway.....we all love them, and when my Vue wears out, I'll want to replace it w/ another one.....What I'd really love is a Sky - but that will be about 16 more years.....

Hilarious! Looking at your poll you went with the least favorite! :)

But, I am SOOOOO happy for you - as long as it is what YOU LOVE! It is the right decision! Enjoy your new vehicle!

AJPratt said:
I am totally in the Saturn orbit!
205k on mine. There's a photo of The Kat Lady and me, standing in front of it, on the wall in Spring Hill. Maybe I'll get back there again this Summer.

My wife and I got a Saturn Vue last September and absolutely love it. The service is really good. I would recommend one to anyone

ChefBeckyD said:
What I'd really love is a Sky - but that will be about 16 more years.....
That's my "when I win the lottery" car! DH has 3 convertibles - I think I'm entitled to one!

chefann said:
That's my "when I win the lottery" car! DH has 3 convertibles - I think I'm entitled to one!

I saw a Bright Yellow Sky on the road this past week (when we had our day of Springtime!:rolleyes: ) I'm sure there was lust in my eyes as I watched it drive by! I fell in love with it at the Detroit Auto Show last year.....but there is no place to put a car seat or all my PC stuff!:(

chefann said:
skye.jpg

I'm with you on this one ~ the Sky would look great next to my other three convertibles, although, it's tough to fit a Showcase into it.

My DH thinks I'm crazy because I like it better than the Viper......I think it's a beautiful convertible!

ChefBeckyD said:
I saw a Bright Yellow Sky on the road this past week (when we had our day of Springtime!:rolleyes: ) I'm sure there was lust in my eyes as I watched it drive by! I fell in love with it at the Detroit Auto Show last year.....but there is no place to put a car seat or all my PC stuff!:(
There's a building across the park from my office building that has a billboard of a yellow Pontiac on it. It's basically the same car - looks really sharp in yellow. Hmm.... I haven't had a yellow car. My current one (PT Cruiser) is purple. DH has teal green (Honda Del Sol), Black (Lincoln Continental), Ford White (Marquis Convertible) and Navy Blue (Lincoln Continental Convertible).

If you come down for the auto show again, give me a call. I work about 3/4 mile from Cobo Hall.

ChefBeckyD said:
My DH thinks I'm crazy because I like it better than the Viper......I think it's a beautiful convertible!
I bet it gets better mileage, too.

I have a Yukon but I just recently saw the Equinox and it's so nice! I'd definitely get that car!

chefann said:
There's a building across the park from my office building that has a billboard of a yellow Pontiac on it. It's basically the same car - looks really sharp in yellow. Hmm.... I haven't had a yellow car. My current one (PT Cruiser) is purple. DH has teal green (Honda Del Sol), Black (Lincoln Continental), Ford White (Marquis Convertible) and Navy Blue (Lincoln Continental Convertible).

If you come down for the auto show again, give me a call. I work about 3/4 mile from Cobo Hall.

Wow! We come every year! My DH is a bonafide Car Nut (gear-head), he was just there a couple weeks ago for Autorama too (That was a total guy thing - I didn't go!). Cars are a big part of our life - and a major family hobby! We attend Car Shows throughout the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Then of course, in the Winter, his "baby" is up on blocks in it's own temperature controlled garage.;) Have you ever been to the Gilmore Car museum in Hickory Corners? We are there every summer for a car show - but it is a great place to just visit anytime!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I bet it gets better mileage, too.

better gas mileage.....way less insurance, and you don't have to be afraid of parking it in a public place!

Our Lincoln club has had a couple of shows at Gilmore, as did the Mercury club to which we used to belong. You shoulda let me know DH was coming down for Autorama- we coulda had a girls day! Dan's buddy had free tix, and I could have shooed him out of the house.

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow! We come every year! My DH is a bonafide Car Nut (gear-head), he was just there a couple weeks ago for Autorama too (That was a total guy thing - I didn't go!). Cars are a big part of our life - and a major family hobby! We attend Car Shows throughout the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Then of course, in the Winter, his "baby" is up on blocks in it's own temperature controlled garage.;) Have you ever been to the Gilmore Car museum in Hickory Corners? We are there every summer for a car show - but it is a great place to just visit anytime!
Greg, we need a car forum now, too.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Greg, we need a car forum now, too.
Naw... just go to www.thelincolnforum.net. That's the forum DH moderates. (I almost started a fight there yesterday simply by expressing my opinion about Leave it To Beaver.)

chefann said:
Naw... just go to www.thelincolnforum.net. That's the forum DH moderates. (I almost started a fight there yesterday simply by expressing my opinion about Leave it To Beaver.)
You're just an instigator, aren't you?

I think we need a non-denominational car nut sub-forum here so the non-Ford people won't be intimidated by Lincolns and Model A's. (Like a Model A is intimidating.)

I saw this at gathering of Model T's last Summer ~ I love this bumper sticker!

IM001465.jpg

chefann said:

Ouch - that must have been some opinion! I think its safer here!
And Ann - I will definitely give you a call the next time DH has a yearning for Cobo Hall...my feet hurt just thinking about walking through there the whole day! Much more fun to hang out with you! (I don't have a tutti-frutti hat, but I do have a grass skirt and coconut bra!:D )

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You're just an instigator, aren't you?

I think we need a non-denominational car nut sub-forum here so the non-Ford people won't be intimidated by Lincolns and Model A's. (Like a Model A is intimidating.)

I saw this at gathering of Model T's last Summer ~ I love this bumper sticker!

IM001465.jpg

I'm a switch-hitter (when it comes to cars;) ) I'm married to a Mopar Man, but I llove a nice Mustang! Oh - and the Sky!

You forgot about Honda CRV. I have one and love it.

Becky- Now I want to see pics of you in your grass skirt and coconuts! You can't tease us like that without following through!

KG- great bumper sticker! I know of some Lincolns that need that (I met a guy at the Lincoln 75th Anniversary show (1995) who had the 1922 Lincoln that his Grandfather had purchased new).

ChefBeckyD said:
(I don't have a tutti-frutti hat, but I do have a grass skirt and coconut bra!:D )
:eek:

In Grand Rapids???

chefann said:
Becky- Now I want to see pics of you in your grass skirt and coconuts! You can't tease us like that without following through!

KG- great bumper sticker! I know of some Lincolns that need that (I met a guy at the Lincoln 75th Anniversary show (1995) who had the 1922 Lincoln that his Grandfather had purchased new).

Would you believe they are actually my DH's? He is a very quiet, on the shy side guy, with a wicked sense of humor! He will be wearing them tomorrw at work (I mentioned before he is a Dir. of maintanance for a Assisted Living Center) - they are having a Hawaiian Luau for the residents....and he is wearing his "costume" with his High-top Converse Tennis Shoes.....now THAT'S what I want a picture of!:D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

In Grand Rapids???

Might not come out much on this forum...but I am a "break the mold & smash the sterotypes" kind of gal!:D

We never would have guessed. :rolleyes:I hope no one is looking to this thread for car info, now that we've completely hijacked it into a complete fubar.

When I was in a semi-pro choir, we had a cabaret-style concert each year as a fundraiser. My first year in the group, one of the small group numbers was "Honey Bun" from South Pacific. The oldest male member of the choir, who was probably 70 at the time, came out for the second verse in a coconut bra and grass skirt. Nobody could hear the singers because the audience was howling with laughter.

chefann said:
When I was in a semi-pro choir, we had a cabaret-style concert each year as a fundraiser. My first year in the group, one of the small group numbers was "Honey Bun" from South Pacific. The oldest male member of the choir, who was probably 70 at the time, came out for the second verse in a coconut bra and grass skirt. Nobody could hear the singers because the audience was howling with laughter.

A group here is doing South Pacific at the end of the month - a coworker will be in the coconut bra and grass skirt...was thinking of taking my 5-year-old daughter to it 'cause she loved The Music Man last year...but not sure yet! :eek:

:rolleyes:

I've got some friends in a simular choir - their last concert of the season is always a joke show. (Last year, they sang the movement of the William Tell Overture made famous by The Lone Ranger, in four part harmony, "Da-da-dum, Da-da-dum, Da-da-dum-dum-dum-dum!") This year, they are going to do Three Little Maids From School Are We from G&S's The Mikado. My friend, John, will be one of the little maids. John is about 6'4" and goes about 250. They've been working on his Geisha costume for some time already.

Last edited:
just as quick...as you think that and buy a car you'll get pregnant!!!!

I too had a SC2 black and mine was an 01. I've always been raised to buy American and my side of the family is Chevy/GM my Mom's family is Ford since my grandma worked there. I've had mostly chevy's and very happy with them mostly, but Saturn pulled a fast one on me and really ticked me off :( I loved Saturn when they ran their own ship/but when they went back to GM and their union ways Saturn lost their quality. I researched and ended up buying a Nissan Frontier, I love it. big enough to haul people, party stuff, and gets great gas milage too. I bought an after market gas cap that locks and some other minor thing and those were the only things previously recalled. My American vehicles always recalled something. I've had no problems with my truck. The cost is much better too. I wheeled/dealed and got a great buy and all the big wigs were in the room trying to either sell it to me with high interest and low payment or high payment with low interest. I had 8 months to go on my Saturn and things really started to fall apart, so I got my truck thinking I was getting a small one, but my yr 05 was the first they upgraded to a mid sized truck. I didn't get the Quad cab as I didn't have the extra cash, but I do have the 2 jump seats in the back. Great for hauling stuff too.

Good Luck.

Liz

AJPratt said:
Thanks for everyone's input! I currently have a 94 Saturn SC2. It has 153,000 miles on it, but the odometer stopped working in June, so, by now its probably more like 163,000 if I calculate just to and from work. I love my Saturn and up until that point I only bought Fords. Since I will drive the next car for a loooong time (hopefully), I want to be happy with it.

And, my brother mentioned the car seat thing, but I don't know if we should worry about it, seeing as we're not exactly getting anywhere in that department. LOL

janetupnorth said:
A group here is doing South Pacific at the end of the month - a coworker will be in the coconut bra and grass skirt...was thinking of taking my 5-year-old daughter to it 'cause she loved The Music Man last year...but not sure yet! :eek:

:rolleyes:

Soth Pacific definitely has more adult themes than The Music Man.....I love them both though! I am such a sucker for Musicals.....which reminds me - to take this on yet another tangent....I'm not much for the reality TV genre - but I have been glued to my set watching "You're The One That I Want"......I LOVE Grease, and I find myself so invested in who will be chosen to play the lead roles on Broadway....(my vote is Max & Laura).:D

AJPratt said:
I went out Saturday and I got a new car. I started to have major problems with my old one and after a terrifying trip to Delran (NJ over an hour away), we decided it was time. So, we went to the dealership Saturday and I got a new car--BRAND new!! Its a black 2007 Saturn ION with everything I wanted. I am thrilled!

Congrats on the new car. Just in time for the yucky snow we've been having.

Dodge Caliber. I have one and I love it. It is like a small SUV or a big car. The back seats fold down and there is plenty of room for your crate(s). They start at $14,000 (i think) Mine was like $20,000 with all the extras and taxes, etc. I love mine!

HEY!Somebody's trying to re-hijack Anne's thread that we hijacked!

Congratulations on your new car Anne! I hope you get many years of enjoyment with it! By the way to add my 2 cents I have a Kia Sportage.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
HEY!

Somebody's trying to re-hijack Anne's thread that we hijacked!

And what's the point?.....She already bought the car!:p Maybe they aren't reading the whole thread? Then they would know that it no longer has anything to do with Ann's car choice!

Well, that hardly ever happens around here.

Congrats on your new car purchase Anne!

FYI, I bought a Buick Rendevous off of Autotrader.com. I bought the loaded version, CXL it has the fold away third row seat. Loaded the way mine is, brand new would have been $32K!! Mine was a program car, 2 years old and I paid 15K and it had a 3 year warranty!! I LOVE it!!!
pja

Do you have the rolling case? I have the rolling case... and that is a huge concern of mine being able to get it in an out of the Caliber... my husband wants to get me one...

sarahmarie said:
Dodge Caliber. I have one and I love it. It is like a small SUV or a big car. The back seats fold down and there is plenty of room for your crate(s). They start at $14,000 (i think) Mine was like $20,000 with all the extras and taxes, etc. I love mine!

I dont have the case ( i want one) what do you have now? the caliber is a low hatch back. it isnt going to be any harder than with a regular hatch-back car and it will be much easier than an SUV or car with trunk. I love it!

I have an 03 foucs right now...... it's a pain in the but to get it into my backseat!

<h2>1. What is the difference between a small SUV and a sedan?</h2><p>A small SUV, also known as a crossover, combines the features of a traditional SUV and a sedan. It typically offers a higher driving position, more cargo space, and better off-road capabilities compared to a sedan. However, sedans generally have better fuel efficiency and handling on paved roads.</p><h2>2. How do I know if a domestic car is a good fit for me?</h2><p>A domestic car is a vehicle that is produced in the country where it is sold. Some benefits of purchasing a domestic car include supporting the local economy and having easier access to parts and service. To determine if a domestic car is a good fit for you, you should research the specific make and model, read reviews, and take a test drive.</p><h2>3. What factors should I consider when choosing between different types of vehicles?</h2><p>When choosing a new vehicle, you should consider your budget, lifestyle, and transportation needs. Think about how many passengers you need to accommodate, the type of terrain you typically drive on, and your daily commute. You should also research the safety ratings, fuel efficiency, and maintenance costs of different vehicles.</p><h2>4. Which domestic small SUV do you recommend?</h2><p>At Pampered Chef, we cannot endorse a specific make or model. However, we suggest researching and test driving multiple options to see which small SUV best fits your needs and preferences. You can also consult with a trusted mechanic or read consumer reviews to gather more information.</p><h2>5. Is it better to choose a smaller car for lower monthly payments?</h2><p>While a smaller car may have lower monthly payments, you should also consider the long-term costs of ownership. A larger car may have a higher upfront cost, but it could also have better fuel efficiency and lower maintenance costs. It ultimately depends on your budget and priorities.</p>

Related to What Kind of Vehicle Should I Get?

1. What is the difference between a small SUV and a sedan?

A small SUV, also known as a crossover, combines the features of a traditional SUV and a sedan. It typically offers a higher driving position, more cargo space, and better off-road capabilities compared to a sedan. However, sedans generally have better fuel efficiency and handling on paved roads.

2. How do I know if a domestic car is a good fit for me?

A domestic car is a vehicle that is produced in the country where it is sold. Some benefits of purchasing a domestic car include supporting the local economy and having easier access to parts and service. To determine if a domestic car is a good fit for you, you should research the specific make and model, read reviews, and take a test drive.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing between different types of vehicles?

When choosing a new vehicle, you should consider your budget, lifestyle, and transportation needs. Think about how many passengers you need to accommodate, the type of terrain you typically drive on, and your daily commute. You should also research the safety ratings, fuel efficiency, and maintenance costs of different vehicles.

4. Which domestic small SUV do you recommend?

At Pampered Chef, we cannot endorse a specific make or model. However, we suggest researching and test driving multiple options to see which small SUV best fits your needs and preferences. You can also consult with a trusted mechanic or read consumer reviews to gather more information.

5. Is it better to choose a smaller car for lower monthly payments?

While a smaller car may have lower monthly payments, you should also consider the long-term costs of ownership. A larger car may have a higher upfront cost, but it could also have better fuel efficiency and lower maintenance costs. It ultimately depends on your budget and priorities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heat123
  • PamperedDor