• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Kind of Vehicle Should I Get?

In summary, the Ford Escape and Chevy Equinox are both good cars, but the Saturn ION is better because it has more features.

What should I get?

• Saturn Vue

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Ford Escape

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Chevy Equinox

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Saturn ION

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
AJPratt
Silver Member
I have been looking forever for a new car. Ole Bessie is on her last legs--even the service writer guy said so. LOL I would love a domestic. I have been looking at small SUV's like the Ford Escape, Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox or because of payments, a Saturn ION. Whaddaya think?

Umm, wha't the difference from the Vue and ION?

I had to vote Chevy Equinox just because that's what I have. Mine is fully loaded with leather heated seats, moonroof, 6 disc CD changer, Onstar, XM radio, AWD...I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
heat123 said:
Umm, wha't the difference from the Vue and ION?

I want to know this too.

Equinox!!I voted for Equinox b/c I have one too. I absolutely love it! It is the perfect size and it has great gas mileage. I would definately reccomend this! Happy car hunting :D

erica177311 said:
I voted for Equinox b/c I have one too. I absolutely love it! It is the perfect size and it has great gas mileage. I would definately reccomend this! Happy car hunting :D

have you seen the new purple one? Cool! I have silver.

I vote for a Ford!! :)

ummm I LOVE my Nissan Pathfinder (the older style, don't like the brand new ones!!) ....sorry, can't help you...good luck though! :)

I have an Orange Saturn Vue.....I have never been happier with a vehicle! It is the perfect size - and one nice thing - most small SUV's we found were uncomfortable for seating Adults in the back seat - but the Vue was comfortable for my brother who is 6' 3"!
It is great for transporting all my stuff, and my son!

Oh and the Vue is a small SUV, and the ION is a car.

I'm not familiar with any of these cars....sorry I'm of no help. My mom only drives Fords if that's any help. But congrats on getting a new car. I'm planning to get a new one in a few months too....waiting some money that DH is expecting (he likes to pay cash so I have to wait :( ) that's okay, I'm undecided too. I'm looking at the new Toyota Highlander Hybrid (not so sure that one will save all that much $$....hybrids still need a little more development...and I don't really want an SUV) what I really want is the Volvo XC70....maybe.....DH wants me to find one that's about 2 yrs old....of course I want a new one!

pamperedlinda said:
I'm not familiar with any of these cars....sorry I'm of no help. My mom only drives Fords if that's any help. But congrats on getting a new car. I'm planning to get a new one in a few months too....waiting some money that DH is expecting (he likes to pay cash so I have to wait :( ) that's okay, I'm undecided too. I'm looking at the new Toyota Highlander Hybrid (not so sure that one will save all that much $$....hybrids still need a little more development...and I don't really want an SUV) what I really want is the Volvo XC70....maybe.....DH wants me to find one that's about 2 yrs old....of course I want a new one!
I am all about SUV's...and LOVED the Toyota Highlander and Rav (6 cylinder of course!) ....but the price was too high, so I went with a used Pathfinder....that is great and you will love either!Sorry, not to hijack the thread;)

My vote would be for a small SUV not on your list: The Kia Sportage!
We just got one in June...chose it for the 10 year warranty and 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. PLUS- the dealership we bought it from will do all of our scheduled maintenence for FREE! Can't beat that with a stick!

I LOVE my CR-V!!!!!!!!! It fits all three of the Show To Go bags and a crate!

My SIL had an Escape and she was not impressed at how it held up. I also thought it was too much money for what it had to offer. Keep in mind that we keep vehicles till they die! My newest is a 2000 jeep cherokee (which I love!!!!)

Heres my two cents...we are going to go and pick up a Chevy Trail Blazer in a hour. With that said we did research and asked lots of opinions before we made our decision.

My dad told us not to get a ford explorer because of lots of rollover problems.

My step brother had a saturn (i know every company has lemons...we just had a gm buyback because of it) BUT saturn would not work with them at all. They had a clear cut case and they had to go the lawyer route. We just had a clear cut case as well with gm but gm worked with us to resolve the matter quickly...so i will buy another gm (just not a piontiac g6)

TEST DRIVE TEST DRIVE TEST DRIVE this may narrow your list down. We were able to cross off quite a few suv's because of this. \

The Vue is a smaller suv. Saturn does not make a pick up truck so for the frame they use a car...this means its smaller.

Hope this helps!!

nikkijo said:
so i will buy another gm (just not a piontiac g6)

How interesting, one of my friends recently had a lemon pontiac g6!! She finally...long battle with GM...and got a grand prix instead, and is sooo happy with it!

VUE BABY! I have an 06 and it's my FOURTH Saturn! I love Saturn!!!

Hi Anne!

I am always praying (along with you) you will get pregnant. When your prayers come true, you will want to make sure the vehicle is easy to deal with when it comes to car seats. I do not know anything about those vehicles, but you might want to ask around about that.

Lisa

jenniferknapp said:
How interesting, one of my friends recently had a lemon pontiac g6!! She finally...long battle with GM...and got a grand prix instead, and is sooo happy with it!

It was in the shop a total of 36 days the first year (bought it Jan 24, 06) and we live in WI and when it got really cold Feb 8 the check engine light came on, traction light, and your engine is losing power...down to 1 percent engine power (this happened in a 65 mph zone down to 40 mph) they cleaned it up and said due to cold weather blah blah blah its fixed. on the 10th it happened again. they have no clue how to fix it or why this is happening. This is why we would not buy another one. if they had a high confidence level that it was fixed we would be ok with it, but they are not. Oh and now we are up to 50 days of not having it.

I have a '97 van and until we just got a '94 Suburban, my husband was driving a '89 pickup...so, the only one in the list I remotely recognize as a vehicle is the Ford Escape! Looks like I have some catching up to the 21st century to do!!!!

I leased an Escape the first year they came out. I loved it so much, we bought one 2 years later. We upgraded to an Explorer last year, for the room.

Oh, forgot to add. My husband works at Ford. So if you decide to buy a Ford, let me know. I can get you an X Plan discount. We did this for a friend a few weeks ago, and it saved them $3000 off of sticker. Just a thought.

I have an 02 Escape XLT. The gas mileage on mine SUCKS! But it was before the new standards were put in place. I was hesitant to buy domestic (bad as it sounds) but I really can't complain too much. I have had NO major issues with it. I believe it does have two recalls but because I'm overseas, trying to get the German dealers to honor the American recalls is TOUGH! I have not had to replace anything unexpected though there is a HUGE problem with front wheel brake dust on the years near mine. I know it sounds trivial but when your front rims are BLACK and the back ones are shiny, YUCK! Semi-metallic pads solved that though. Mine has plenty of room and my son was still in a booster when I bought it. I've driven it IN GERMANY on the Autobahn for 5 years now with no problems. Interior noise is a bit high and the stock 6-disc in dash CD/radio isn't the greatest but the speakers are good!

OK, enough!! That's my two cents. Should you want any more personal opinion, shoot me an e-mail or PM.

I didn't vote because the Toyota Rav4 isn't on your list! I bought mine last summer and just LOVE IT!!

Of the ones on your list I would probably say the Saturn Vue - it is very nice (right LeeAnne?!)

My sister's friend is a Ford mechanic. Don't get the Escape. :D

HONESTLY, if I didn't have such a large family, I would totally go with the Saturn Vue!
My grandma has one and my mom is getting one. There are like 4 people in my church that has them. I totally love them, and the price isn't too high.
I am a total Ford girl, drive and Expedition, but I would go VUE!

Anne, I chose the equinox because I rented one in Hawaii the last time I was there and fell in love. For my family of 3 it was perfect, not a small car but not a huge gas guzzeler. I really want a new Tahoe, but might have to go for the Equinox because of gas & such.

Thanks for everyone's input! I currently have a 94 Saturn SC2. It has 153,000 miles on it, but the odometer stopped working in June, so, by now its probably more like 163,000 if I calculate just to and from work. I love my Saturn and up until that point I only bought Fords. Since I will drive the next car for a loooong time (hopefully), I want to be happy with it.

And, my brother mentioned the car seat thing, but I don't know if we should worry about it, seeing as we're not exactly getting anywhere in that department. LOL

AJPratt said:
Thanks for everyone's input! I currently have a 94 Saturn SC2. It has 153,000 miles on it, but the odometer stopped working in June, so, by now its probably more like 163,000 if I calculate just to and from work. I love my Saturn and up until that point I only bought Fords. Since I will drive the next car for a loooong time (hopefully), I want to be happy with it.

And, my brother mentioned the car seat thing, but I don't know if we should worry about it, seeing as we're not exactly getting anywhere in that department. LOL
Buy a car that IS NOT car-seat friendly....that should ensure that you will need it!

pamperedlinda said:
Buy a car that IS NOT car-seat friendly....that should ensure that you will need it!

Very true! I vote for a two seat convertible!

Lisa

AJPratt said:

FYI - the car seat has worked great in our VUE!

ChefLisa said:
Very true! I vote for a two seat convertible!

Lisa

My SIL ordered a solstice sp? and then she got pg before it was delivered :eek: maybe i should order one:rolleyes:

Anne, I have the same issue as you have. However, I have until July to figure out what to do. I need an all-wheel drive to get up my driveway. I'm thinking of the Jeep Compass.

Let us know what you pick out!!!

laughing at these posts we are not brand loyal.... i pick my next new car by ooohing and aaaahing over whatever drives past me on the highway.
we drive an expedition, Sebring convertible and my new hyundai santa fe, also have a dodge neon and a ford f150 truck 5 vehicles 4 drivers
I "vote" for a hyundai much easier to load for my shows than the expedition

I voted for the Ford Escape, we are a Ford Family. Although my mom has an Escapre and she isn't all that impressed with it. I did have a friend that had one and she loved hers but it was also fully loaded too, my mom's is just the basic. I can't remember the name of the vehicle but Mercury makes it and it is a SUV. My DH wants me to look at them. I love the SUV's and wish I had one now, I have a Ford Taures.

apriljc said:
I voted for the Ford Escape, we are a Ford Family. Although my mom has an Escapre and she isn't all that impressed with it. I did have a friend that had one and she loved hers but it was also fully loaded too, my mom's is just the basic. I can't remember the name of the vehicle but Mercury makes it and it is a SUV. My DH wants me to look at them. I love the SUV's and wish I had one now, I have a Ford Taures.

Mercury Mariner? I test drove one, it was nice! I think my fav smaller SUV is still the Toyota Rav 6 cylinder!

I love my Honda CR-V.

I am so happy with my VUE. It is a 2003 redline model. We drove it to Florida last year for vacation and had so much room to sprawl! Get the VUE.

Okay thanks Anne you had me pricing equinoxes after this post. I have a pic of a 2007 chevy tahoe, love the new body style. However the equinox is $15,000 cheaper! DH said don't bother to look for a long while, I really want a bigger house! But Diesal has rose to $3.05 & regular gas is almost $.30 cheaper a gallon. Ugh the joys of a truck!!

I vote for the VUE... it's a whole lot of car for not alot of money...... and easy to get your kit out for shows!!!

I have an 03 Ford Focus has 117,000 miles on it!! YES I DRIVE AND DRIVE AND DRIVE....... any ways.... My husband who is 6'7 doesnt' excatly fit in my car... its rather funny to watch him bend in half to get into the car...LOL... so we are discussing getting me a new car.... he got his new truck last year.... now its my turn... hmmm....... I like the dodge callibur not on your list, and I like the vue,... it's a toss up for me!!

AJPratt said:

out of the choices, I voted the VueNow this is a thread for my DH. He is a car fanatic. I call him Mr. Motor Trend because he can tell you about every thing about every car. We test drive cars for his recreation. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/auto/car-smiley-002.gif And yes we have test driven the Vue.

Jennifer- we too have a Nissan Pathfinder 2001 which I love EXCEPT for the fact that the back seat is cramped and that it burns Premium gas. We have been a Nissan family (primarily) have a Altima,and DH bought me a Maxima years ago that I drove 230,000 miles before we sold it (and it was still going strong).

We also have the Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton diesel for towing the horses and hay.

So Anne, If you want to know the in's and out's about any of these cars, let me know and I will line you up with my DH.

BTW the Hyundai has great a warranty and a lower price on their cars too. We just test drove the Sonata last weekend (LOVED IT!) and the Entourage a few weeks before that.

I have a hyundai elentra and I love it...but i do notlove the santa fe. this summer we were at shopko picking up a tall pantry with two doors that you put together..we had no problem putting it in our g6...their was a lady their with a santa fe...she barley got it in there and the passanger seat was all the way up. that is where i learned about the frame on an suv and to make sure it's a pick up.

thats why we love the truck
DH picks out vehicles for him that will get him to work (or Lowe's) for me he buys the fully loaded leather seats (I guess they are the limiteds)
Love my seat warmers and dual temp control!

I love my Honda CRV.

I think the Vue's are cute, but coming from a strictly Chevy family I would vote for the Equinox. We looked at one when they first came out--NICE:D I love the Trailblazers too; that's my dream car. But, I'll keep drivin' my Malibu for awhile cause I want my bigger house first!

OK Anne, when I told my DH about this thread poll his eye lit up. Here is what he said, Between the choices you had on your poll he would select the Vue because it has the Honda V6 and has a better drive train than the Equinox. He also said that if you are considering a "car" style then you should check out the Saturn Aura. The other suggestion was the Honda Element for the roominess and fantastic warranty. Like I said, he LOVES car talk.

Hyundai's are a great car for the money. I have had 2 Excels. 1st one lasted only 7 years but it was because I was 18 when I bought it and didn't know I had to change the oil more than once a year :eek: .

My 2nd a 1993 model is still going strong. My hubby takes great care of it. This little 3 door mooved me (pulling a uhaul) 2 times! Both were over 900 mile trips. It has somewhere arround 180,000 miles by now.

I was looking at one of the new hyundai SUV's but when we needed a bigger car we couldn't afford it.

I LOVe my Cherokee! It was a great deal and I always wanted a Jeep!

<h2>1. What is the difference between a small SUV and a sedan?</h2><p>A small SUV, also known as a crossover, combines the features of a traditional SUV and a sedan. It typically offers a higher driving position, more cargo space, and better off-road capabilities compared to a sedan. However, sedans generally have better fuel efficiency and handling on paved roads.</p><h2>2. How do I know if a domestic car is a good fit for me?</h2><p>A domestic car is a vehicle that is produced in the country where it is sold. Some benefits of purchasing a domestic car include supporting the local economy and having easier access to parts and service. To determine if a domestic car is a good fit for you, you should research the specific make and model, read reviews, and take a test drive.</p><h2>3. What factors should I consider when choosing between different types of vehicles?</h2><p>When choosing a new vehicle, you should consider your budget, lifestyle, and transportation needs. Think about how many passengers you need to accommodate, the type of terrain you typically drive on, and your daily commute. You should also research the safety ratings, fuel efficiency, and maintenance costs of different vehicles.</p><h2>4. Which domestic small SUV do you recommend?</h2><p>At Pampered Chef, we cannot endorse a specific make or model. However, we suggest researching and test driving multiple options to see which small SUV best fits your needs and preferences. You can also consult with a trusted mechanic or read consumer reviews to gather more information.</p><h2>5. Is it better to choose a smaller car for lower monthly payments?</h2><p>While a smaller car may have lower monthly payments, you should also consider the long-term costs of ownership. A larger car may have a higher upfront cost, but it could also have better fuel efficiency and lower maintenance costs. It ultimately depends on your budget and priorities.</p>

Related to What Kind of Vehicle Should I Get?

1. What is the difference between a small SUV and a sedan?

A small SUV, also known as a crossover, combines the features of a traditional SUV and a sedan. It typically offers a higher driving position, more cargo space, and better off-road capabilities compared to a sedan. However, sedans generally have better fuel efficiency and handling on paved roads.

2. How do I know if a domestic car is a good fit for me?

A domestic car is a vehicle that is produced in the country where it is sold. Some benefits of purchasing a domestic car include supporting the local economy and having easier access to parts and service. To determine if a domestic car is a good fit for you, you should research the specific make and model, read reviews, and take a test drive.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing between different types of vehicles?

When choosing a new vehicle, you should consider your budget, lifestyle, and transportation needs. Think about how many passengers you need to accommodate, the type of terrain you typically drive on, and your daily commute. You should also research the safety ratings, fuel efficiency, and maintenance costs of different vehicles.

4. Which domestic small SUV do you recommend?

At Pampered Chef, we cannot endorse a specific make or model. However, we suggest researching and test driving multiple options to see which small SUV best fits your needs and preferences. You can also consult with a trusted mechanic or read consumer reviews to gather more information.

5. Is it better to choose a smaller car for lower monthly payments?

While a smaller car may have lower monthly payments, you should also consider the long-term costs of ownership. A larger car may have a higher upfront cost, but it could also have better fuel efficiency and lower maintenance costs. It ultimately depends on your budget and priorities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heat123
  • PamperedDor