• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the reason behind the Writers Strike and when will it end?

In summary, the writers strike is causing major disruptions in the television industry. Studios are canceling writers' contracts and it is uncertain if the current television season can be saved. This may also impact the development of new shows for next season. Despite this, some shows like Prison Break and Lost are still airing new episodes. However, many people are turning to other forms of entertainment, such as reading, as they wait for the strike to end.
schel
I am sooooooo ready for this to be over!! :mad: :mad:
I want my TV shows back!
I love my TV!!
I understand that they want/need more money, but whoever is responsible for it all, needs to get this settled!

There I said it!
Schel

Hopefully, the producers will realize just how important the writers are and finally give up some of the bajillions of dollars they make. I mean if I have to watch one more reality show I may just go lay in traffic.....

I can't agree more, this is getting out of hand. Just give them what they want and move on. I need my TV back!!!!!!

daniellemorgan said:
Hopefully, the producers will realize just how important the writers are and finally give up some of the bajillions of dollars they make. I mean if I have to watch one more reality show I may just go lay in traffic.....
Sounds like a concept for a new reality show.

I like some of the reality shows. I like Wife Swap, Super Nanny (sometimes), Extreme Home Makeover, and (love) The Apprentice.

I still do a double take every time I hear an announcer call out Wife Swap as a series.

I know...kinda sounds like some late night Cinemax kinda movie...

I am so irritated that this stupid strike and all of the shows i normally watch they don't have any more espoides left to show ::O((

I was really getting into Chuck and Reaper...too bad they will probably get canceled b/c of this. :mad:

At least new episodes of Psych are on - now that show can make me laugh sooo hard! :D

Not much will get canceled - heck, they're pulling out new episodes of canceled shows just to have something to run.When did Christine go out of production?

Christine was canceled? I didn't know that!

I hope you're right, KG. I really liked those shows. :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sounds like a concept for a new reality show.

pretty soon i may just be able to get a show!

TONIGHT!See who survives on Go Play In Traffic!Only on Fox.

Wife Swap does sound like it could be raunchy in an X rated sort of way. It's raunchy in some other ways, but it's pretty funny the way people are so obnoxiously set in their ways. I could never be on that show because I could never tolerate some of those conditions. I also am not extreme enough to have someone be an extreme opposite of me. It could be entertaining to watch me squeemishly live in someone else's life, though.

Well at least tomorrow night we have a few more weeks of Michael on Prison Break! He is so HOT!!
Schel

I'm excited that Prison Break and Lost are coming back over the next few weeks.
I'm looking forward to seeing the 2 hottest brothers in tv tomorrow night :D

I really miss The Office though. Just as we were getting in to Pam and Jim being together :cry:

Not too soon...Guess it's time to dust off the old library card and get back to reading... doesn't look good for ANY new TV for quite a while...

Report: Studios cancel writers contracts
Tue Jan 15, 4:45 AM PST

Four major studios have canceled dozens of writers' contracts in a possible concession that the current television season cannot be saved, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

The move means the 2-month old writers strike may also endanger next season's new shows, the Times said.

January is usually the beginning of pilot season, when networks order new scripted shows. But the strike leaves networks without a pool of comedy and drama scripts from which to choose.

20th Century Fox Television, CBS Paramount Network Television, NBC Universal and Warner Bros. Television told the Times they have terminated development and production agreements.

Studios typically pay $500,000 to $2 million a year per writer for them and their staffs to develop new show concepts.

"I didn't see it coming," Barbara Hall, a writer and producer whose credits include former CBS series "Joan of Arcadia" and "Judging Amy," told the Times, which said ABC executives gave her the news Friday. "I am not entirely sure what their strategy is, all I know was that I was a casualty of it."

The newspaper said more than 65 deals with writers have been eliminated since Friday.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
TONIGHT!

See who survives on Go Play In Traffic!

Only on Fox.

My son would volunteer for that one! :rolleyes: LOL..

finley1991 said:
Guess it's time to dust off the old library card and get back to reading... doesn't look good for ANY new TV for quite a while...

Report: Studios cancel writers contracts
Tue Jan 15, 4:45 AM PST

Four major studios have canceled dozens of writers' contracts in a possible concession that the current television season cannot be saved, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

The move means the 2-month old writers strike may also endanger next season's new shows, the Times said.

January is usually the beginning of pilot season, when networks order new scripted shows. But the strike leaves networks without a pool of comedy and drama scripts from which to choose.

20th Century Fox Television, CBS Paramount Network Television, NBC Universal and Warner Bros. Television told the Times they have terminated development and production agreements.

Studios typically pay $500,000 to $2 million a year per writer for them and their staffs to develop new show concepts.

"I didn't see it coming," Barbara Hall, a writer and producer whose credits include former CBS series "Joan of Arcadia" and "Judging Amy," told the Times, which said ABC executives gave her the news Friday. "I am not entirely sure what their strategy is, all I know was that I was a casualty of it."

The newspaper said more than 65 deals with writers have been eliminated since Friday.

Do we even know what they're striking over? Apparently pay:
http://www.wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2686

I agree Lindsay, I miss the office too. I am going to be so outta loop when it returns. (I really have to watch it in order to recall whats going on...its been forever!)

I agree with some points of their strike, but I want them BACK TO WORK!!! I need my shows.

But not only are we missing our shows, think of all the people that are missing a paycheck b/c of this. And I am not talking about those that make major money and can get by for a long time without a check (I don't feel sorry for those causing the problem or the loss of studio money). I am talking about the "little people" that do all the behind the scenes works and stuff that are out of a job. Just think of all the people that are working on the sets all the time that we do not see or hear from. They have literally put thousands out of work from what I understand. And that is not fair to those people!!!!

I am going to miss 24! I heard they canned the whole season, even if the writers come back it won't flow so hopefully it will be back on next year.
I think some of these studios need to do something to hire some non contract writers like they do w/ the soaps.

lkprescott said:
Do we even know what they're striking over? Apparently pay:
http://www.wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2686
Well, in a way it's over pay. They're striking, primarily, over residuals. When something goes to video, to DVD or other channels of distribution (like the Internet) the producers, the studios and the actors are all getting a cut of the new money being made, but the writers aren't. They want their share - which only makes sense, at least, to me it does.

I read that they make $62K a year? WOW. I saw a lady on television commenting about the strike and she said, "When those writers support their families on $12 an hour like my husband does, then they can complain."

You know who I feel bad for? The crew members, staff, station salespeople who sell ads, outside agencies who depend on shows to stay afloat. (You get the point). I can see the writers wanting more, but I think this is a very selfish thing to do. I mean, we all want "more", but I don't think throwing something equivalent to a temper tantrum does it.

I think if you are unhappy with your job, you should go get a new one. Striking rarely nets the results one hopes it will--on either sides.

I am so Missing Private Practice!! I sure hope this ends soon!!

I agree that striking is so not a good thing. But, if it weren't for the writers the stars would be nothing. Don't the show/movie stars get more money when shows are played over and over or sold as DVD or whatever? 62K is so little compared to what the stars make. 62K? I can't believe that is all they make. That must be so piddly when so many of them probably live in some of the most expensive places in the U.S. I can't imagine the stess and pressure of coming up with new scripts over and over and over. I do not agree with striking, but I think there is some greed going on with the higher up people.

Related to What is the reason behind the Writers Strike and when will it end?

What is the writers strike?

The writers strike refers to a labor dispute between the Writers Guild of America (WGA) and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) that began on November 5, 2007 and ended on February 12, 2008. The strike was a result of disagreements over the writers' compensation for digital media.

Why did the writers go on strike?

The writers went on strike to demand fair compensation for their work in digital media, such as streaming services and online platforms. The WGA argued that writers were not being adequately compensated for the use of their work in these new mediums, while the AMPTP claimed that the industry was still in its early stages and fair compensation could not yet be determined.

How did the strike affect the entertainment industry?

The strike had a major impact on the entertainment industry, as many TV shows were put on hiatus or had shortened seasons due to the lack of new scripts. Several late-night talk shows were also affected, with many going off the air and others returning without writers. The strike also had economic consequences, as production and related industries suffered from the lack of new content.

Did the writers achieve their goals?

The writers were able to make some gains during the strike, including increased compensation for digital media and jurisdiction over reality TV and animation writing. However, they did not achieve all of their demands, such as a share of revenue from DVD and digital sales.

How does the writers strike affect viewers?

The strike resulted in a delay or cancellation of many popular TV shows and a decrease in new content being released. This may have affected viewers' enjoyment of their favorite shows and the overall quality of entertainment during that time period. It also brought attention to the issue of fair compensation for creative work in the digital age.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• schel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
schel
  • kam
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • akrebecca