• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Could I Have Done Differently? (Long)

In summary, the speaker had a successful start to their 4th demo with multiple orders before the show even began. However, despite a fun and welcoming crowd, the speaker had a hard time starting their demo and struggled to hold their audience's attention. As a result, sales were lower than expected but the speaker still managed to book two parties and have a potential recruit. The host explained that the group was a lively bunch and preferred to socialize rather than listen to a presentation. The speaker's approach of respecting their desire to chat and eat ultimately led to a successful outcome. Despite the challenges, the speaker considers the show a success and learned a valuable lesson about adapting to different audiences.
PCMelissa
Gold Member
I would love to get input from all of you.

I had my 4th Demo last night. It was for my Uncles wife. It started out so well, before start time a neighbor came over with 2 outside orders and before the show even started I had already input 3 orders totalling almost $300.00. I was thinking this is going to be a Great show!

Most people got there late, not a big deal. They were a great, fun crowd. I really liked all of the people there, they were warm and welcoming..I felt like part of the family. BUT, I had the hardest time starting my demo, and I was so surprised since they were SOOO nice, that they were not paying attention to my demo AT ALL. There were two conversations going on, and then me demoing to one person who was paying attention when others were not distracting them. I told them I would be quick, and they could get back to visisting really soon. BUT, my demo took a bit longer than usual, cause I couldn't really do it...I barely spoke about the benefits of the tools, cause well, no one was listening.

Needless to say, I did not sell any Large Bar Pans, or 5" knifes like I have at my other 3 parties. It is obvious why... no one saw my demo :(

The rest of the orders were very small, $4 and $6 items, only. So a show that I thought was going to be GREAT, is just under $500.00 right now. There are more outside orders coming in, and I have 2 bookings and 2 recruit leads, one who might act soon, one who is VERY interested but will not act for a while.

I do realize the party was not a complete bust, I just wonder if there was a way I could have controlled it better! Not only am I disappointed about how low the sales turned out to be when I thought it was going to be high, but I feel like I did a diservice to the guests, because they don't truly know how awesome the tools are that I used :(

Sorry this was so long. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

a couple more things...

I did lots of stuff, like talking loud, asking questions, they would tune in momentarily and then off again to their own convos.

I also did a game- left/right, which took me a LONG time to get them to pay attention, but it was the only time I did have it, and I teased them about that, I gave away a SB, and I truly think they all had fun, and had no idea how frazzled I was.

I had a show last Tuesday that sounds alot like your show! The show was total chaos! Sometimes, it just happens. We've all had shows like that. How you respond to them makes all the difference in the world.I also have 2 bookings and a recruit lead from my show - so I do consider it a success......but the most important conversation came with my host after the show, as we were cleaning up.I mentioned that they were a very lively group, and she laughed and said that they were a group of moms who rarely get out without their children, so when they do, they just cut loose and have fun - and want to catch up with each other. She then went on to tell me about a BeautiControl party she had a few months ago, where the consultant started "Shushing" the group, and telling them to be quiet and listen. Apparently, that just fueled the fire - they thought it was hilarious that she was shushing them - and made them act up even more. She said the party was a total bust. No one bought anything, and no one booked.
When they were all talking at once, I did at one point get their attention, and say "okay - just 5 more minutes, and then I am going to finish up, get my demo table cleaned up (there had been a whole bottle of beer spilled on it:yuck: ) and get ready to take orders - and let you all chat and eat."
They liked that I respected the fact that they wanted to socialize, and it ended up well. At least they didn't blow me off!:DETA - I don't play games at my shows. This group would have never gone for it anyway!

There probably isn't a whole lot you could do differently except have a seat and join in on the conversation. That may have gotten their attention. Sounds like a great show anyway, as far as sales go.

We have all had shows like that Melissa - sometimes it goes that way, but I bet you are your own worse critic!! (aren't we all??)

I had a show last month that as I started my talk (HI my name etc) by the time I got to the specials - they had no interest! They actually wanted to eat drink and have fun - so I let them do just that - they did their own interactive show - played with my products and asked me questions - show closed at 1200 -

That is the beauty of this business - no two shows are alike!! A new adventure every show!!

You guys are great! I've had the same problem and I thought it was just me. I often just accept that sometimes I won't get all the specials, tools, tips, and prizes of my spiel covered if the crowd is too energetic. As long as they seem to have fun and like me, I figure I'll get repeat business from them, even if the bookings and orders are low at that show. (And that has been the case.) But I never thought of just doing a 180 at the show and sitting down with them or turning the demo over to them to play with the tools. It might just work too!

I know for some people the answer to this problem is HO's new "interactive" show. But my shows have always had guest involvement, and I don't like the stronger emphasis on putting people to work the moment they walk in the door. My instinct is that guests who show up to a "party" want to catch up with the host and other guests and get a drink before being serious. The other night we roleplayed this at our sales meeting and I was irritated that the moment I walked in the other consultant seemed to order me around - "get a name tag, wash your hands, we're preparing this recipe". I was like, "hey I'm thirsty, I have to go to the bathroom, I want to say hi to my friend, and what's this 'we' business? I came here to watch you!" And I got tired standing around for 30 minutes until it was all done. To me, that's the same as shushing people.

It happens. I had a very chatty crowd (small crowd LOL) last night but it worked out well enough. I put the TTA in the middle of everyone so they were playing and passing around gadgets as they had their chat and gossip time. During the demo there was one guest interested and she'd ask what I added in or did last and would shush the others and say "pay attention, she's talking".. which was sweet but that's a rarity. I try to be polite, get through my schtick and accept what happens. You sometimes have great shows where folks sit, listen and socialize afterwards. You sometimes have shows that feel more like a trip to the circus and you're the ring leader without a whip. ;) The good news is you're having a good show for it all (I average well below $500 so a show that size is a happy surprise for me)..

Have you tried the interactive demo? I think that cuts some conversations down and plus they are talking to each other about what they are supposed to be doing next.

Agreed that we've all had a show or two like that, not much that can be done, but I just say to the host, "I am going to get started" and she usually gathers the guests, and I say "I am going to keep this short and sweet so you can catch up with your friends and taste the finall product".

HTH

At first I was also skeptical about the interactive show, but I thought I would give it a shot. What I have found is it makes our job look soooooo easy. Since I started doing it in that format (About 2 months) I have recruited 4people and as long as the host is excited, than normally the guests are too. If the host is not into it, no one will be. As the consultant I NEVER ask the guests to do anything, the host does.

As far as the show and losing the people, I agree we have all been there. Anytime my sales are low, if I have bookings and recruit leads I am thrilled. Stay positive and don't get discouraged. If you do though, let us know and we will encourage you and help you through it. Take care!

THanks everyone. Not only did I get some great ideas of how to handle this in the future, you all just made me feel better by letting me know I am not a lone, and did the best I could.

In thinking back though, I really wish I would have pulled the daughter of the host up to do some of the stuff. ANd I have had people come up before, so not sure why I didn't think of that...I guess I was too frazzled. SHe would have loved it, and I think the other group would have payed attention knowing she was getting up there. Plus, she is one of the recruit leads.

Oh well, I agree that every show is different, I guess I just have to be more open to anything!

ChefBeckyD said:
........... where the consultant started "Shushing" the group, and telling them to be quiet and listen. Apparently, that just fueled the fire......
My friend (who had a party with my in Jan) went to another PC party in her neighborhood a couple weeks ago. This is another 'lively' group and they love to talk. Well, evidently the PC consultant didn't like that and told them that they were being disrespectful to her and the host and would they please be quiet so she could finish her presentation! This group has nick-named her the 'nazi chef'!

pamperedlinda said:
My friend (who had a party with my in Jan) went to another PC party in her neighborhood a couple weeks ago. This is another 'lively' group and they love to talk. Well, evidently the PC consultant didn't like that and told them that they were being disrespectful to her and the host and would they please be quiet so she could finish her presentation! This group has nick-named her the 'nazi chef'!

That Cracks me up!! LOL

PCMelissa said:
That Cracks me up!! LOL
Me too!

I did a vendor event last night at DS's school. There was a Priemer jewelery lady there and one of the people who came by my table told me that she couldn't order from my b/c she was going to a PC party next week that the jewelery lady was having. While we were packing up I was talking to the jewelery lady and asked who her consultant was - turns out it is someone I knwo and like. She said she was excited about booking it, but during the time that she booked and now there have been 4 PC parties in her neighborhood. So when she told me where she lived I said oh, I've been the consultant for 2 of those....but I'm not the one who made everyone be quiet! She said, yeah, we ALL KNOW about the nazi chaf lady! LMAO!!!

Haha, that is so funny that you put in a disclaimer!! haha, AND that she knew WHO you were talking about!! :D

chatty nattyThat's right - everyone will have a party every once in a while where you just can't get the guests attention BUT DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL.

I listened to a CD - where the Consultant recommended joking with the people who are talking by saying 'Do I have to seperate you two?' - or will say 'a few more minutes before I am done...'

It's all about perspective. I take myself out of the situation and think about it from the guests point of view. LOTS of them don't see each other as often as they would like, LOTS don't get out of the house very often (with or without kids), and maybe lots have been to a PC Show before (and they already know what they want).

You only have the groups attention for 20 minutes (or about there - so they say) - so hit the most important points at the beginning of the Show and then just go with the flow. :)

OMG! I think God had me log on today to find this thread. Last night I had a show....16 people at the show, 3 outside orders, and we are only at $400 right now. I was down about the show as well since no bookings and no leads but like everyone else, people wanted to talk talk and talk some more. I had them talk about their favorite products, and we did do the Queen of The Shopper's game TWICE but the second time changed some of the products. On top of it all- the tuxedo brownie cups didn't turn out. The cups were good since I made them before hand (knowing we'd have upwards of 20 ppl) but the topping didn't turn out well. Not 100% sure but it through my 'game'/attitude totally off. I felt so bad but the host was super excited to be at $400 already! So that was great and she's a friend so I may off to do a show for her in the fall for free. :)
Thanks everyone for sharing, you really lifted my spirits!

I didn't get a chance to read through all the posts but this is completely normal! Some shows will be like this, you just have to roll with it. And a $500 show is nothing to complain about, that is fantastic!

big # in attendance doesn't always mean big # in SalesI have found that just because there is a high number in attendance does not mean it is going to be a $1000 Show :( . I did one show with 12 people in attendance - they all place an order - and it was still only a $400 Show. But I made sure not to show my host my confusion or disappointment and just stayed positive - focusing on what she is going to receive.

p.s. When a show sales total is low and you feel like it wasn't that great of a show (or that the host didn't do too well with her host benefits from the show) then just focus on how much she SAVED by being a host! - that'll really open hers and your eyes! ;)

I don't know if there was ANYTHING you could have done different - every show is different, every group of guests is different.

Way to go on having a chaotic show AND it is at $500! You must have done something right! ;)

wadesgirl said:
I didn't get a chance to read through all the posts but this is completely normal! Some shows will be like this, you just have to roll with it. And a $500 show is nothing to complain about, that is fantastic!

Well, I read all the posts (I usually want to skip to the bottom but am afraid I'll miss something :D ) but my thoughts exactly...a $500 show is nothing to sneeze at!! Wow, girl, pat yourself on the back and enjoy it.

I think most consultants go home thinking...oh I should have said this, oh I would have done this differently. I've lost count of the number of times I've got in the car and realized that I completely forgot to mention something.

I think, due to the nature of our business, we tend to have many shows where people are loud, won't listen all the time, etc. Whenever you put a group of women (usually...I know men come to our shows!) together it's bound to happen. I had one show where one by one they went outside to smoke! After 10 (yes 10!!) people left...I said to the remaining 4 people "I'll give free shipping to anyone that sits through the whole show!" They laughed...and stayed. It was a group that had been to many shows and were going to play bunco when I was done with the demo.

GeorgiaPeach said:
I said to the remaining 4 people "I'll give free shipping to anyone that sits through the whole show!" They laughed...and stayed.

Great one-liner Lisa!

It sounds like you did a great job, especially since it was your first time with a talkative group and your fourth show!. As much as it would be great if guests came to a show to see us, they come to see the host and their friends. Most of the time, they are wonderful to us...ever now and then, well, they're not.

I've had two extreme talking shows with lots of people. One was a total nightmare of a show (lots of little ones and lots of alcohol) that didn't make $300. The other was mostly professional women thrilled to have an evening together that finished over $1000.

When they clearly want to keep talking, I generally ask for just five minutes to share some things I think they'd like to know (I'll sometimes say I'm holding the dessert hostage:angel: ). Then I just let them go back to chatting while I finish whatever prep still needs to be done. I ask for two minutes afterwards to go over the DPDS, the order form, and where I'll be taking orders.

I was thinking more about it, and they did listen to me at first, when I talked about why I joined, and the host benefits, and host specials for April. After that I lost any attention. So, I guess all in all it was good. Which is also why I have 2 bookings, which is actually 3, but I don't count ones that I don't set a date, and 2 recruit leads. It just felt weird to be up there kinda making the recipe without them. Oh well, I feel much better now after hearing from all of you.

well we can all look at the bright side of these situations.. ... that you guys got sales from a party and people actually showed up.

i did a show last night... it was at my mom's house and what she did she just went around to the neighbors houses and passed out her own invitations that she made ( which were really cool because they were saying that their is a new PC consultant in their neighborhood) so she put an rsvp on the invitation for march 11th and we got no calls so we kinda figured that people are just going to show up..... ok she cook for half of the day i set up the an interactive demo for doing the warm and nutty caramel brownies.... ok show time was at 6:50pm ( for a 7:00 show time) 6:45 came around...no one there....6:50.... still no one.....7:00 still no one... by 7:15 no one showed up.... i had two of my friends call saying they were sick and they couldn't make it ( one was my recruiter) so i took off my apron and was like i am over it now one is showing up.. i thought there was going to be alot of people because she handed out at least 60 invites....not a single person.... so to salvage the night i called my nieces and nephews and said we are having a brownie making party and you are going to cook the brownies... they were excited........ so we made the brownie in like 15 minutes with a 25 min. cook time.... i asked them if they had fun and they were so excited that they couldn't contain themselves... so i was able to do the ineractive demo without the thought of being in the spot light and i had a bunch of fun!!! so the night turned around pretty sweetly and i was excited!!

so we have to look at the brighter side of things and that everything happens for a reason and we can learn from every situation that we are in.....

also .... i love the interactive layout!!

Amelia- I am so sorry to hear that no one showed for your show. That is almost unbelievable. I guess that calling to remind guests is probably a good idea...I am glad to hear your niece and nephew enjoyed themselves! How were those brownies by the way? I have yet to have them, they sound so good!

This sounds very similar to my show last night! Including the co-hosts, there were 12 people there. The total is at $360 (not my highest, despite my highest guest count). They were so chatty towards the end that I couldn't even talk about things I needed to. It was like pulling teeth getting them to listen. Needless to say I got no bookings. :(

ladies your not alone i just signed up in dec. and had my first 3 shows in jan. my 2nd and 3rd show was exactly like this. so really i haven't even got to practice because my first show was a kick off party my mom held for me and only 2 or 3 people showed up and they were all really late, they were close friends so i didn't even fool with my demo. everyone was hungry and ready to eat and they actully now that i think about were all talking as well. so i am hoping my next show which is suppose to be in april goes better, im really not sure what i need to do. because i haven't really had the practice to know what i need to get better on.

I like it better when everyone stands around the demo rather than sitting like an audience. They are more apt to pay attention to what I am doing. Before the show starts, I try to get everyone standing around the display of tools. I try to listen to who is interested in which tools. Then I talk to them about it while I am using it or I try to get them to use it. I get nervous when everyone is too quiet.

PCMelissa said:
I am glad to hear your niece and nephew enjoyed themselves! How were those brownies by the way? I have yet to have them, they sound so good!

THey were amazing and very rich!!!! you definitly need to eat ice cream with these but they were so good!!

I had over 25 people at my party yesterday. I had everyone pick out a product after they washed their hands and I assigned someone to read the directions. When she called the product in use that person had to come up with the product and do that part of the demo. It helped the lively crowd stay engaged. I wanted them to tell why they choose or liked the product but due to time I just gave the benefits.

I have had the same experience before. I know how hard it is to do a show for that type of crowd. First of all you have to feel good about your sales... $500+ is wonderful, plus a few other leads as well. The only other thing that you could of have done is just to stop your demo, and try to get their attention. It is not your fault... and the host should have stepped up... and realized that was what happening was not good. I know how frustrated you are!!! On the other hand.... I would consider a $500 and leads great!! Don't beat yourself up over this... you did everything you could do.

Stephanie

My director is a fast talker and usually takes everything pre-prepared to toss together at the show, then she briefs them on the products, specials, biz opp, etc. However, she said when people aren't paying attention, she usually says or does something a little strange to catch their attention like say "now I'm going to open this can of cat food" or act like she's going to lick the spatula...and it catches people off guard so they pay attention.

I had a show once with over 25 guests and everyone was talking and laughing out loud (hopefully not at me) so I didn't get to cover any of the important stuff. I ended up getting about $170 in sales, but the host spent almost $200, so it wasn't a total bust. I did walk away thinking "what did I do wrong here", but the host explained to me that a lot of them just came to eat and weren't really interested in ordering anything. Wonderful!

Isn't that crazy how people will go to a show with no intention of buying anything! Just stay home! I did a show once with 15 guests - my highest group ever at the time (I was so excited!), only 6 placed orders! I came to find out that everyone is really there because it is the host's birthday - she threw herself a party, told everyone that came not to worry about ordering anything! I guess she thought I was just the free entertainment & cook!:(

Now, I must admit, when I attended my first PC show, I had absolutely no intention of buying anything But in my defense it was more because I didn't have any money. And everything was more expensive than I was used to paying for kitchen stuff. Luckily for me, I fell in love with everything in the catalog and decided the only way to get it was to sign up. And that's actually my story too! HA!

when I was a newbie, I had a show that I refer to as the "Margarita show from heLL"...it was in May, weather was GORGEOUS and the host was serving Margaritas on the deck....however, my presentation was inside! Before long, all but 3 people were outside drinking and I just let it go! I told the remaining ones they were getting free shipping because they were so patientfor having not run to the drinks and then I helped myself to a Margarita and finished the recipe. The show was over $800 and I believe it is because I didn't make any snide comments about them not listening to me. We have to try to remember it isn't about us! These people have taken THEIR time to come to a party and they should enjoy it! It should never reflect badly on a consultant, or host, if the guests lose it!

I had a similar show on Friday night. 14 girls, all ready to chat and have fun and not at all interested in listening to me. It was a Relay For Life fundraiser too.

Anyway, one of the girls shushed the others, and I said 'Oh, no, I want you ladies to have FUN...and not feel like you HAVE to listen'. Well, it turned out to be the best thing I could have said because most of them started listening and the show totals were $1137 with SEVEN bookings!! Not to mention 2 possible recruits.

I'm still very new but I find so far if I keep it light and airy - reading the crowd for clues, it seems to work well.

Course, my first show ever was a complete nightmare, (3 major personal crises the guests felt like sharing during my show ending in most of the group crying on and off), but I figure if I could get through that and not run away screaming, it will definitely get easier!

Mduran said:
Isn't that crazy how people will go to a show with no intention of buying anything! Just stay home! I did a show once with 15 guests - my highest group ever at the time (I was so excited!), only 6 placed orders! I came to find out that everyone is really there because it is the host's birthday - she threw herself a party, told everyone that came not to worry about ordering anything! I guess she thought I was just the free entertainment & cook!:(

Um. I have people tell me all the time "Just come to the show, it doesn't matter if you buy anything or not. We just want you there." -- The point of these parties, for the guests, is to get together with friends and have fun.

If all they wanted to do is order products, they'd go to the website and order it.

With this business it's important to remember, the show is not about me, it's about my host and her friends that are there for her, not to see "The Deb Z. Show." I tell my guests to feel free to chat with their neighbors, I am not there to be their teacher and slap their hands. Most of the time they pay pretty good attention, but not always, oh well.
One gal mentioned saying "Now I am going to add the catfood to our recipe.."
so if you have interesting quick tips you will usually get someone's attention.
The ladies were really chatty at my show last night, so I picked up the Salad spinner and mentioned cleaning your bagged lettuce, they thought that was cool. Then I said you can even spin your sausage or ground beef to get out 1/4 to 1/2 cup of grease..., even the 93% beef, they couldn't believe that one. I should have mentioned "spin drying" your unmentionables! That would have gotten a laugh. It's just best to roll with the punches.
Another tip is to be genuinely concerned about what they are talking about, be a friend too, not just the "consultant." Have fun and learn from every show.
Deb

What could I have done differently to have a more successful party?

Some possible suggestions could be:

• Arrive early to set up and ensure a smooth start to the party
  • Engage the guests in conversation and build a rapport with them before starting the demo
  • Consider using a microphone or finding a way to gather the guests' attention before beginning the demo
  • Reiterate the benefits of the products throughout the demo to keep the guests interested and engaged
  • Try to involve everyone in the demo, perhaps by asking for volunteers to help with certain tasks or asking for their opinions and feedback on the products
  • Consider breaking up the demo into smaller segments, allowing for more interaction and discussion between each segment
  • Have a variety of products available for guests to try and play with during the demo to keep their attention
  • Offer incentives or special deals for guests who place larger orders or book future parties

How can I improve my control over the party?

Some tips for maintaining control and keeping the guests engaged could be:

• Set expectations at the beginning of the party, such as asking guests to hold their questions until a designated time during the demo
  • Use attention-grabbing techniques, such as changing your tone or using props, to bring the focus back to the demo if guests get distracted
  • Be prepared to handle any interruptions or distractions that may arise during the party
  • Keep the party moving at a good pace to prevent guests from getting bored or losing interest
  • Make sure to have enough product knowledge to answer any questions or address any concerns that may arise
  • Be confident and enthusiastic about the products and the party, as this can help inspire the guests' interest and attention

Is there anything I can do to prevent guests from arriving late?

While you can't control the punctuality of your guests, there are some ways to encourage and remind them to arrive on time, such as:

• Sending out reminders a few days before the party, including the start time
  • Include a note about the importance of arriving on time in your party invitations
  • Offer a special incentive or deal for guests who arrive on time
  • Start the party promptly and let guests know that they can join in at any point if they do arrive late
  • Follow up with any guests who arrive late to make sure they don't miss out on important information or demos

What can I do to keep guests' attention during the demo?

Some suggestions for keeping the guests engaged and focused during the demo could be:

• Use interactive activities or games to involve the guests and make the demo more fun and engaging
  • Include personal stories or experiences with the products to make them more relatable and interesting
  • Break up the demo into smaller segments, with breaks in between, to prevent guests from getting overwhelmed or losing interest
  • Encourage guests to ask questions and participate in the demo, making them feel like they are a part of the experience
  • Offer samples or allow guests to try out the products themselves during the demo
  • Use visuals or demonstrations to showcase the products' benefits and features

What can I do to make the most out of a potentially challenging party situation?

In any party situation, it's important to remain flexible and adaptable. Some ways to handle a challenging party could be:

• Stay positive and enthusiastic, even if things don't go as planned
  • Be prepared with backup plans or alternative demos in case certain products or activities don't go as expected
  • Focus on the guests who are engaged and interested, and try to involve them in the party as much as possible
  • Be open to feedback and suggestions from guests, and use it to improve future parties
  • End the party on a high note, thanking guests for their time and participation, and reminding them of any future party opportunities or deals

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
carmom420
  • melissa3026
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • PamperedPrincess74