• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are the 10 Days of Awe in Judaism and how do they affect our future?

G-d's decree. The actions that change the decree are "teshuvah, tefilah and tzedakah," repentance, prayer, and good deeds. These books are sealed on Yom Kippur. In summary, Rosh HaShanah is the start of the 10 Days of Awe in Judaism, where it is believed that God writes our names in books and decides our fate for the upcoming year. However, our actions during these 10 days can change God's decree. The books are sealed on Yom Kippur, and traditional greetings during this time include "L'Shanah Tovah" or "Happy New Year." This tradition has similarities to other religious traditions, such as Santa
susanr613
Gold Member
Rosh HaShanah starts tonight and kicks off the 10 Days of Awe that culminate in Yom Kippur.

Judaism maintains that G-d has "books" that he writes our names in, writing down who will live and who will die, who will have a good life and who will have a bad life, for the next year. These books are written in on Rosh Hashanah, but our actions during the Days of Awe can alter G-d's decree. The actions that change the decree are "teshuvah, tefilah and tzedakah," repentance, prayer, good deeds (usually, charity). These "books" are sealed on Yom Kippur.

So, to all of my fellow Cheffers:

L'Shanah Tovah (for a good year) and may you be inscribed and sealed for a good year. Happiness, health, and prosperity!
:D

wow. i never knew any of that!

Susan,Thanks for the Judaism lesson! I love to learn about different religions; I took a class in college but have forgotten most of what I learned way back then....:)And I would like to wish you a L'Shanah Tovah as well!

have to admit i looked it up to make sure i got it exactly right ;-)

:D That's funny! But it is still good information and we all need to keep on learning about our similarities and differences so we can live together in harmony, right? :)

Wishing you a L'Shanah Tovah to !:)

Right back at'cha!
My dad's side of the family is Jewish, and I always wondered what the different holiday were about. Thanks for the info!

Is there any special "treats" that you having during this time?

I always think food must play apart in everything:blushing:

You got it Rennae! Apples dipped in honey are eaten to kick off a "sweet" year, as is honeycake. Most people get together for family dinners too.

Yom Kippur is a sundown to sundown fast...then we break it with smoked fish like lox. I leave for Amsterdam that night...I wonder if I can find bagel and lox at O'Hare Airport? LOL

So do we say "happy L'Shanah Tovah"? (Like "merry Christmas"!?!) What is the appropriate greeting?Thanks for the lesson in Judaism. It was really very interesting. Can we count on more history & knowledge being shared as the other Jewish holidays arrive??

The traditional greeting is L'Shanah Tovah, or you could just say Happy New Year and I guarantee you will delight your Jewish acquaintences.

Just don't say "Happy Yom Kippur." It's a day of reflection and fasting :)

I posted really to extend my greetings and wish everyone a sweet year. I have benefitted greatly from being a member of this board and have "met" many wonderful people. I added the explanation as a sidebar.

And that's what I love about this place - there's such a sense of family and sharing! You're such a caring person, Susan, that I'm sure you're already in the "good" book. (Ok, that came out a little weirder than I meant it.)

aww shucks ann - you're too kind <blush>

And, not to sound disrespectful of anyone's faith, but aspects of this tradition have crossed over into other traditions. Is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of Santa's lists, and how kids try to be extra good at the end of the year?I'm always fascinated by how similar different religious traditions really are, further illustrating that we're just one big human family.

L'Shanah Tovah to all from my house to yours! I really hope this New Year brings a much better year to all--we just got news that a friend passed away yesterday afternoon.

Thanks Susan for starting this thread, I was going to do this yesterday and didn't get around to it.

Interesting - thanks for the lesson Susan.I'm not Jewish, but I wish you a wonderful year!I have been surrounded by people going through trials lately too and hopefully it will get better! The bad and the good came to pass. :)

Thank you Susan for the background!! Enjoy your holiday.

chefann said:
And, not to sound disrespectful of anyone's faith, but aspects of this tradition have crossed over into other traditions. Is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of Santa's lists, and how kids try to be extra good at the end of the year?

I'm always fascinated by how similar different religious traditions really are, further illustrating that we're just one big human family.

I was having very similar thoughts Ann...

Thanks for this Susan. I love learning new things!

susanr613 said:
Rosh HaShanah starts tonight and kicks off the 10 Days of Awe that culminate in Yom Kippur.

Judaism maintains that G-d has "books" that he writes our names in, writing down who will live and who will die, who will have a good life and who will have a bad life, for the next year. These books are written in on Rosh Hashanah, but our actions during the Days of Awe can alter G-d's decree. The actions that change the decree are "teshuvah, tefilah and tzedakah," repentance, prayer, good deeds (usually, charity). These "books" are sealed on Yom Kippur.

So, to all of my fellow Cheffers:

L'Shanah Tovah (for a good year) and may you be inscribed and sealed for a good year. Happiness, health, and prosperity!
:D

Happy SWEET New Year to you, Susan... I'm eating Apples with Honey in honor of all my Jewish Friends and their New Year Holiday! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
Happy SWEET New Year to you, Susan... I'm eating Apples with Honey in honor of all my Jewish Friends and their New Year Holiday! :)
That's what I was thinking I'd do too. Yum!

JAE said:
That's what I was thinking I'd do too. Yum!

Ooh! DS picked apples last Monday and I have some local honey around! Yum!

Have a blessed season, Susan!

Just returned from synagogue to read all your greetings. Thank you and enjoy the apples and honey!

Funny sidebar - I tried to make a honey cake in the new silicone crown pan to take to dinner tomorrow night, and neglected to spray the inside. Now I have honey cake chunks for me, and a bottle of wine in the fridge for my host!

L'Shanah Tovah to everyone also

L'Shanah Tovah, Susan and all, and thank you so much for the background behind these holy days we are upon. I have learned so much by being on this board (and even a little related to PC! :) )

Related to What are the 10 Days of Awe in Judaism and how do they affect our future?

What does "L'shanah Tovah" mean?

"L'shanah Tovah" is a Hebrew phrase commonly used to wish someone a Happy New Year. It translates to "for a good year" and is often used during the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah.

Is "L'shanah Tovah" only used during Rosh Hashanah?

No, "L'shanah Tovah" can be used as a general greeting to wish someone a good year at any time. It is also commonly used during other Jewish holidays, such as Yom Kippur and Passover.

Can I say "L'shanah Tovah" to anyone?

Yes, "L'shanah Tovah" can be used to wish anyone a good year, regardless of their religious beliefs. It is a kind and inclusive greeting that can be shared with friends, family, and acquaintances.

Are there any other phrases I can use to wish someone a Happy New Year in Hebrew?

Yes, another common phrase is "Shanah Tovah Umetukah," which translates to "a good and sweet year." You can also say "Chag Sameach" which means "Happy Holidays" and is often used during Rosh Hashanah and other Jewish holidays.

What are some traditional foods served during Rosh Hashanah?

Some traditional foods eaten during Rosh Hashanah include apples dipped in honey, pomegranates, round challah bread, and honey cake. These foods symbolize sweetness and a hope for a sweet new year. It is also common to eat dishes made with ingredients such as fish, carrots, and beets, which are believed to bring good luck and prosperity.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • julyskitchen
  • General Chat
Replies