• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Weather Whiplash in West Michigan: Tornado Watch, Warning & 10 Shovelings!

In summary,A tornado warning has been issued for Muskegon County in Michigan. The weather is being described as thundering and lightening, and it was 63 degrees when the author picked up his children from school. Michigan residents are not happy about the flood warnings that are currently in place. The author is from Southern California, and he says that the snow in Michigan gets harder every year.
JAE
We're under a tornado watch here in West Michigan. Muskegon county is under a tornado warning. It's thundering and lightening. It was 63 degrees when I picked my kids up from school, today. Last Thursday I shoveled my driveway in 16 degree weather. I must have shoveled my driveway 10 times last week. That's Michigan for you.

Isn't it crazy? It's just bizarre to be seeing Tornado Warnings in January....when we would usually have a greater chance for blizzard warnings!

Not happy about the flood warnings. My host for tomorrow asked me if I have 4 wheel drive because her driveway is 1/4 mile long. She said she may have to give her guests rides up her driveway. UGH!

Tornado in Wisconsin, or funnel cloud, anyway. Is there a difference?

JAE said:
Tornado in Wisconsin, or funnel cloud, anyway. Is there a difference?

They aren't touching down - so that's why it's a funnel cloud - I think....

I had a show one time where everyone had to park alongside the driveway, and the ground was really soggy and muddy. 3 of them got stuck in the mud, and the hosts 2 teenage daughters pushed them all out - they were covered in mud at the end of the evening!

Take it seriously - there is an incredible amount of damage in Kenosha - right across the pond from you.

The Weather report was just talking about that, KG!

There is amateur video taken of one of the tornadoes in Kenosha - you can see the flashes as the tornado touches down and hits power lines and transformers.It's on the website of WITI Fox 6 in Milwaukee.

We had the same thing as you - snow last week and sunny skies today!

There was lots of property damage but there were no fatalities and no major injuries. There are several reports ranging from three to six tornadoes.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There is amateur video taken of one of the tornadoes in Kenosha - you can see the flashes as the tornado touches down and hits power lines and transformers.It's on the website of WITI Fox 6 in Milwaukee.
Wow - what a mess, and obviously injuries - with those ambulances - sure hope the injuries weren't too bad.eta - oops, just read your next post!

Need to get the basement finished. If I have to go down there, I'd like to be comfy, at least. I've always had an aversion to unfinished basements.

I'm in Washington and it's been snowing all day! :yuck: Suppossed to snow tonight too and tomorrow might get up to about 6 more inches!:cry: :cry:

This may be a silly question, but is snow normal in Spokane Washington? I picture rain. I don't know my geography very well especially if I've never visited the place. I've been to many places in the U.S., but never to Washington.

We're having the same weather as those in WI and MI, under tornado watch now. I hate tornado watches!! I would prefer a blizzard!! We were 65 degrees today. It was nice to have the windows open though:)! I actually did some spring cleaning. Makes me have so much more energy!

I pray everyone will be safe tonight!

Tornadoes in January - after a cold December with record snowfall.I can hardly wait to see what February brings.

We are in tornado alley (Okla) & have tornado warnings all around us. It was 10 degrees less than a week ago, and has been in the 70s & low 80s the last three days. Never know what kind of weather to expect here.

Today it was a balmy 14 degrees C which is about 57 F bright and sunny here in Ontario. This time of year it is usually very cold and snowy.
Crazy but love it!

JAE said:
This may be a silly question, but is snow normal in Spokane Washington? I picture rain. I don't know my geography very well especially if I've never visited the place. I've been to many places in the U.S., but never to Washington.
We get A LOT of snow! We are real close to Idaho! About 12 miles away! In fact just north of spokane they reallly get the snow. We are about 2 1/2 hours south of Canada! The west side, Seattle, is where it rains!
No, we get snow! About 7 months out of the year!:yuck: :grumpy:
I'm from Southern California, this snow seems to get harder every year and we've lived here for almost 15 years!:eek: :rolleyes: :grumpy:

Southern California sounds so good to me. I know it's quite expensive to live there, but if I have sun, I think I could be happy in a house half the size of the one I'm living in. I've always lived in West Michigan, except a couple years in east Michigan where there was less snow, more sun, but a bit colder. I think it's bad to live here because I don't like cold, but I can't imagine knowing what it's like to live in southern Cal., but living in a cold and snowy place. Do you get to visit? During the winter?

And Buffalo NY gets alot of grief about the weather here!

We play up the four seasons angle. Saturday I shoveled the deck and threw snowballs for the dog to chase. Sunday there was a big thaw & all is green & mud now. Today was 61°setting a record. Tomorrow I expect to see convertibles w/the tops down.

JAE said:
Southern California sounds so good to me. I know it's quite expensive to live there, but if I have sun, I think I could be happy in a house half the size of the one I'm living in. I've always lived in West Michigan, except a couple years in east Michigan where there was less snow, more sun, but a bit colder. I think it's bad to live here because I don't like cold, but I can't imagine knowing what it's like to live in southern Cal., but living in a cold and snowy place. Do you get to visit? During the winter?
I have mixed feelings about southern calif.!! I lived there for my first 22 years of life! When we moved we didn't miss it, I missed my Mom and Dad and a few friends but I didn't miss the place! It is so crowded and so smoggy! It is also a lot more violent there and a very fast pace of living. At my old job there I was in management and I was robbed at gun point twice within 6 months! And that was almost 15 years now, you know it's gotten worse!
My parents just moved from there after living there for for over 45 years, they moved to Tennessee. They were seeking the quieter life too and less grief and less crowds!
So, no I don't see myself going back there! The last time I was there was 1998! My parents come to see us, it's easier that way! My 20 year reunion is coming up in 2009 and I doubt I'll go. I only have one really good friend left out there! Ironically, my childhood best friend lives in Washington too! But she lives on the west side, near Seattle!
Sooooo, even though the snow sucks, I will take it over the fast pace life of Calif! No offense to California cheffers! This is just how we feel, my hubby and I. After one visit out here (his parents moved here a year before we did to be near family) we were hooked. Of course we came in August when it's beautiful! Not flipping mid winter!:rolleyes: Everyone is way nicer out here and it is such a dog eat dog world out there in Calif! Not everyone but quite a lot of the population are not very nice!:grumpy:
Plus we wanted to start a family in a place where it wasn't so crazy! I guess I just had a lot of experiences that were scarey, far more than I could mention here and we just are better off here, even in the snow! LOL!
I hope I explained myself well, and didn't offend anyone! But you asked and it wasn't a simple question for me!
I don't like the snow but I don't love the intense heat of southern Calif either, so Washingtoin was and still is perfect for us!:D ;)

When I woke up this morning, I saw on the news that there was some devistation from tornadoes..:( .... How is everyone, are you all okay?
Please check in! My prayers go out to all of you for your safety!:angel:

I am in NW Ohio and yesterday it was 66 degrees - a record high (beating it by 5 degrees). Are we sure it is January?

Just a lot of rain here, today. It just keeps raining and raining and raining....If it were normal January temps, we'd probably be snowed in.

JAE said:
Not happy about the flood warnings. My host for tomorrow asked me if I have 4 wheel drive because her driveway is 1/4 mile long. She said she may have to give her guests rides up her driveway. UGH!

My very first show was 2/28...host had a VERY steep driveway. We all parked at the bottom and her DH shuttled us up...including all my kitchen stuff!

Woke up this morning to winter again here.....I'm thinking JAE is probably out shoveling her driveway again!:D :rolleyes:

ChefBeckyD said:
Woke up this morning to winter again here.....I'm thinking JAE is probably out shoveling her driveway again!:D :rolleyes:

Would you PLEASE send the snow here!

Oh I have a bunch you could take too! :grumpy:

By the time Becky posted that, I was taking my kids to school because of a 2 hour delay. The weather here is so strange. We had a lot of heavy wet snow on the ground starting last night around 7 or 8 pm. Not sure when it stopped. I did shovel, but it was so heavy and about 4 inches deep. One ds tried to help and I just told him to build a snowman instead. Then I'd have less to shovel. He made two. It was raining on us! It's still misting a bit, and the snow is dripping off the roof. My car needs a wash so very bad. I need gloves just to touch the handles.

1. What is "weather whiplash"?

"Weather whiplash" refers to the rapid and extreme changes in weather conditions that can occur in a short period of time. This can include drastic temperature shifts, severe storms, and other extreme weather events.

2. Why is West Michigan experiencing a tornado watch and warning?

West Michigan is currently experiencing a tornado watch and warning due to the presence of strong and unstable atmospheric conditions. This includes high levels of moisture, wind shear, and instability in the atmosphere, which can create the ideal conditions for tornadoes to form.

3. What is the difference between a tornado watch and warning?

A tornado watch means that conditions are favorable for a tornado to develop in the designated area. It is important to stay alert and be prepared to take shelter if necessary. A tornado warning, on the other hand, means that a tornado has been spotted or indicated by radar and is imminent. This means that immediate action should be taken to seek shelter.

4. How does Michigan's location contribute to these extreme weather changes?

Michigan's location in the Great Lakes region makes it susceptible to rapid and unpredictable weather changes. The proximity to large bodies of water can create a clash of warm and cold air masses, leading to severe storms and other extreme weather events.

5. Why is there such a drastic difference in temperature between last week and today?

This temperature difference is likely due to a shift in the jet stream, which is a narrow band of strong winds in the upper atmosphere that helps to guide weather systems. When the jet stream shifts, it can bring in warmer or colder air from different regions, resulting in significant changes in temperature. Additionally, other factors such as high pressure systems and fronts can also contribute to these temperature fluctuations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
legacypc46
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies