• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Vendor's Check Bounced: Now I'm Out $170

you guessed it...cash! I never even see the checks. It is a lot more hassle, but I feel a lot safer.
ChefJWarren
Gold Member
I did a craft show about couple of weeks ago and the vendor next to me placed a large order ($170). The check was out of state, but didn't think much of it, plus I wanted to close the show fast so I couldn't wait to see if the check clears. Well, this morning the $170 has been taken out of my account because the check bounced!!! :grumpy: Its probably my own fault because I was too trusting! Now I have to call and track her down. I did call her last week to see if she got her stuff alright and if she had any questions. She didn't call back.

Aw, that stinks. I hope you're able to track her down, and that she makes good on it.

search microsoft.com for a bounced check letter. Mail it via certified mail. You can also charge a fee for the bounce! If she doesn't respond to the certified letter, if you want, you can take her to small claims court and she'll have to pay all of your fees. I know it's drastic, but it sometimes is the only way to recoup and that's a lot of money! Hopefully, she'll just send you a Money Order...but don't accept another check!! If you don't send the letter via certified mail, you have no lawful chance at recouping! Sorry to sound so hateful, Hope the info helps!

It depends on what bank the check is drawn on. If it is a BIGGIE...you can go to any branch, even out of state, and check if the funds are now available. If so, they can cash it for you. If the funds are not yet available, you can hang onto it for another few days then try again. Sometimes you can even call a 1-800 number for the bank and it will tell you if a dollar amt would clear (SOMETIMES). Just a thought.

...just to clarify...that is if the check was actually then returned to you. It might take a few days.

Luv2bake said:
It depends on what bank the check is drawn on. If it is a BIGGIE...you can go to any branch, even out of state, and check if the funds are now available. If so, they can cash it for you. If the funds are not yet available, you can hang onto it for another few days then try again. Sometimes you can even call a 1-800 number for the bank and it will tell you if a dollar amt would clear (SOMETIMES). Just a thought.

I did this when I had a bounced check last year and it worked great. The people at the bank didn't question it at all. It is a great 1st step that doesn't even require you to talk to the "customer" again (in case you are a coward like me!). The only downside is you are still out any fee your bank charged you for having a check bounce. Try taking it soon because most people probably get paid today-last day of the month and Friday.
Good luck!

I haven't gotten the check back yet. I just saw it posted online when I checked my account.

Boo hiss... that stinks. Thankfully one of my team members is a Detective at the State Police post and she takes care of such situations for me. Only twice have I had to resort to using her.

Usually after a phone call, and a week wait to see if a money order comes, I call and say, "Hello... this is Kristin from PC calling. So far I have not received your money order for the bad check and fee's. Please call me. If I do not hear from you by tomorrow at noon, I will be passing your check to Detective _____ at the State police post. (inserting address and phone # of Detective). Usually I have a money order in hand by the next day!

I would totally make sure that she pays you the bounced check fee and any other fees you may have been charged. That sucks!!!

That's too bad. I have had only 1 bad check in 2 years. I hope that I don't encounter that again. I hope that you can get it resolved. Hopefully she will feel really bad and send you the money ASAP!

At shows I make it a point only to get credit cards or cash just for that reason. That sucks that she gave you a rubber check. Maybe teh show organizer can help you track her down.

I've had more than my fair share of bounced checks. That is why I no longer accept checks. At my shows, the guests write their checks out to the host and she pays me with a debit/credit card. On the order form I use at craft fairs and such I put in bold writing, "Sorry, no checks!" That way there is no question.

I have been at shows and the guests are all concerned, "Oh I write the check to Susie Q? Are you sure?" And I'm like, "Heck yeah!" Although I don't put it like that.

Chef Kearns, I like your idea about having the checks written out to the host...no one wants to screw over their friends! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
Chef Kearns, I like your idea about having the checks written out to the host...no one wants to screw over their friends! :)

I used to do this when I started. My 6th show, I had a host take all the money and pay her rent. I called all of the guests to let them know that I hadn't received payment but the host called them all first and told them I stole their money. It was horrible.

Now ALL checks are made out to me.

Guess she didn't care about screwing over her friends.

finley1991 said:
I used to do this when I started. My 6th show, I had a host take all the money and pay her rent. I called all of the guests to let them know that I hadn't received payment but the host called them all first and told them I stole their money. It was horrible.

Now ALL checks are made out to me.

Guess she didn't care about screwing over her friends.

That's a shame that that happened! I wonder what she thought her friends would say?!

For my business it is not worth the risk. I will try to catch them before they write the check to let them know that a debit/credit card would be better. That way the host doesn't have to go to the bank. From my experience I just cannot accept checks any longer!

*sigh* Debit/credit cards aren't any better sometimes. I had an email from HO Saturday telling me one had been declined and my order is on hold. The customer insists the money is there because she'd made a deposit specifically to cover this charge after realizing she'd used the wrong card at the show. She'd even used the card yesterday and it was fine. HO ran it through a second time while I was on the phone with them and it was declined again. I have until tomorrow to get it resolved or I lose that show from my November sales and commission. Ugh

RebelChef said:
*sigh* Debit/credit cards aren't any better sometimes. I had an email from HO Saturday telling me one had been declined and my order is on hold. The customer insists the money is there because she'd made a deposit specifically to cover this charge after realizing she'd used the wrong card at the show. She'd even used the card yesterday and it was fine. HO ran it through a second time while I was on the phone with them and it was declined again. I have until tomorrow to get it resolved or I lose that show from my November sales and commission. Ugh

I had that same problem and all it was is a wrong expiration date! Double check that.

Thanks, Jessica. Nice to see a 'neighbor' on here. =)

Actually, it was declined again this morning so she gave me another card to use. She went to the bank today and they couldn't find a problem either. She used the card at the grocery and it went through fine. It's the strangest thing. We double checked everything and I did the same with HO. It was all correct but for some reason it just doesn't like PC. That account was for her Christmas money so I told her someone put a hold on it so they'd get more Christmas presents. lol

I had the same thing happend with a debit card. It was a friend of mine and I was with her at the store when she used it, but for some reason it would NEVER go through on the PC order. Who knows I guess strange things just happen.

I feel your pain!I had a host that had a $800 on Sept. 28th. It took forever for her to decide to close out the show. At the show I had a few ladies write me checks, and some outside orders. The past host from the show spent $230 on the cookware special he was able to get. When it come down to it she owed $599.95. She lives 40 minutes away so she said she would just give me her credit card number since everybody gave her the money and this was on Oct. 22. Fine, not a problem...I thought. HO placed her card on hold and she kept saying it was due to being over the security amount of $500. So after a week and a half she sent me a check by my husband (mine and hers work together) and she assured me that this would be ok since everybody paid her. Well, her check bounced!!!! I received it back Nov. 7 and still fighting to get it back from her. I have truely heard every excuse in the book when I call and try to talk to her. She is a reception at a community college. Well, I have taked to a couple of her friends and she has went on different family trips and shopping trips and she is not going to pay me. I have send her on Nov. 21st a certified letter stating that since she gave me a bad check over $500 it is considered a felony here in Arkansas.....not really want to force this issue. I have got the top hand hopefully since my other job is working at the courthouse and I have the inside scoop on how to handle things. I work in the county clerks office, but I have been talking to the small claims lady and know the prosecuting attorney.

However, the host is refusing the delivery of the certified letter and that is going to make it better in my court. The bad thing is that that $600 is supposed to help be Christmas for my kids.:mad: My husband came home last Friday stating he overheard the husband talking about them getting ready to move.:eek: Oh, and did I add that the past host had his $230 check bounce but quickly took care of it and the extra charges!?????

Well, on the other hand, I wish you luck to on getting your bad check taken care of also. And sorry if this was rather long. It just really makes ya irritated though!

Last edited:
Oh Angela! That's awful. I'm so sorry this happened and it's affecting your Christmas money. I really believe this year has been hard for alot of people. I've had one thing after another happen ever since I decided to join PC in October. (I just think the devil can't stand that this is something I felt led to do. lol) My case was resolved easily but yours may just take legal action. Since it is a criminal offense, if she doesn't take care of it and any charges, they will arrest her. I hope she's prepared for that because if it happens at her job, she'll probably lose it. Makes you wonder if they're moving because they owe their landlord or mortgage company and have no choice. Can you fill other orders with the products she bought? Maybe that would at least give you some of your money back.

You're right about it being irritating but when you deal with this kind of business, I guess you sort of expect it sometimes. You just hope that the person has enough integrity to take care of the problem rather than have to go through what you are having to do. It almost makes you want to accept cash only. lol Good luck, hon, and I hope your Christmas turns out better than you can imagine. :)

RebelChef said:
I really believe this year has been hard for alot of people. I've had one thing after another happen ever since I decided to join PC in October. (I just think the devil can't stand that this is something I felt led to do. lol) :)

Funny, the devil can't stand that this is something I'm led to do, either... we should swap "war" stories!

:cry:

I thought I saw a form letter or e-mail on here in the past that you used to try to collect on bounced checks. One of my team members took a $140 check that bounced and it was an outside order. She has an address, but no phone number. The bank told her it would be a long time before she would be able to collect on that check (insinuating that the account was extremely negative). So I told her I would try to find good wording for her on here for a good letter that she could mail.

Ahhh, but while there is aggravation from a debit or credit card not going through, you are not out any money. If the host wrote a check and it bounced then you are out the money from the check and the products. Most times you don't get a bounced check notice until AFTER the show has shipped. A card that won't go through gets noticed BEFORE the show has shipped so you have time to resolve it with a new card or just by removing the order.

I hope you ladies are able to resolve your payments. I truly hope you are able to recoup that $500!! I will be praying for you.

Most times you don't get a bounced check notice until AFTER the show has shipped.

Pretty bad when the company's efficiency works against us. lol

Related to Vendor's Check Bounced: Now I'm Out $170

1. Can I get a refund for the bounced check?

Unfortunately, as Pampered Chef is not the issuer of the bounced check, we are unable to provide a refund for the funds lost. We recommend contacting the issuing bank or the vendor directly to resolve the issue.

2. How long does it take to receive a refund for a bounced check?

The timeline for receiving a refund for a bounced check varies depending on the issuing bank and the vendor's policies. We recommend reaching out to them directly for a more specific timeline.

3. Does Pampered Chef have any policies in place to protect against bounced checks?

We take steps to ensure the legitimacy of our vendors and their payments, but unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that all checks will be valid. We recommend verifying the legitimacy of the vendor before accepting payment in the future.

4. Will this affect my relationship with Pampered Chef as a consultant or customer?

No, this issue is between the vendor and the recipient of the bounced check. It will not affect your relationship with us as a consultant or customer.

5. Can I report the bounced check to Pampered Chef?

As the bounced check was not issued by Pampered Chef, we are not able to address the issue. We recommend contacting the issuing bank or the vendor directly to resolve the issue.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • cincychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefJoyJ