• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Help Needed With Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups!!!

did not follow recipeThe tortillas I used were Azteca tortillas...I think the brand makes a difference. I had a show on Saturday that I had been practicing these for, and ended up burning the tortillas Friday night. I was planning on bringing them already prepared just as something special. Oh well....I think I'll go back to the store after work tomorrow and get thicker tortillas and a pkg of wonton wrappers. After making them, and having way too much "cup" I think I'll also take Amy's advice and make the squares smaller. Keep your fingers crossed.
straitfan
Gold Member
Okay--I'm making these for a show tomorrow night and am just now getting around to practicing. I can't get the tortilla squares to hold thier shape when I press them into the muffin tin. And several of them are tearing when I use the shaper!!!!! I tried warming them and using extra oil-neither or which worked! Anxiously awaiting a cheffer to tell me the "secret!"

What if you warmed them with a damp towel over them? Would it add extra moisture to them?

BTW, the two things you have already tried would have been my suggestions, too! :)

I covered them with a damp paper towel when I came in here to plead for help. I'll go try warming them that way! Good idea. Stay tuned........

Didn't really help.......

Anyone else have an idea????????

Got them in the oven (even though they are pretty sorry looking!) I think I'll take the tart shaper to them again about halfway through the cooking time and see what happens.

C-ya in 8 minutes!

Could you possibly.....Do like when you bake a empty pie shell? What I mean is put like dry beans in the bottom of each to hold them down? Let me know what you think of that suggestion!! HTH

Last edited:
are they close to expiration date?

I was thinking about changing the tortillas to wonton wrappers or something of that nature just because I thought the tortillas would be a pain.... Sorry I don't have any other suggestions, I would have said the one about the dry beans also.

Wondering if it is the kind of tortillas you used? Mine turned out fine... I use Azteca flour tortillas.

Don't know what else to tell you - followed recipe - looked good. Maybe make sure your corner cuts are definitely a full inch in...

????

I agree with Janet - the brand of tortilla makes a difference. I always use Azteca when I'm doing anything other than tacos or burritos because they're so thin. If you use Azteca for tacos, though, they break apart from the weight of the filling.

Let us know how they turn out!

I second, make sure the cuts are deep enough. I really overlapped the corners as I gently worked them into the pan. I used the tart shaper in conjunction with pushing them in, too.

They are not easy to make, I will probably make them in advance for this recipe, and demo how to do one or two at the show.

Robin

Didn't really work out so well. I had really thin tortillas. Would the thicker ones work better do you suppose? The filling was really yummy, but the cups were pretty bad. Trying to decide on a plan b for tomorrow's show.

Jamie, I was thinking the same thing as I watched the demo on the spring DVD...a lot of work when you could sub the wonton wrappers I'd suppose.

I had problems with the tortillas as well. I found that the smaller the squares (smaller than the recipe calls for), and the longer the cuts the better it worked for me. I also agree with trying different brands of tortillas. I had a show on Saturday that I had been practicing these for, and ended up burning the tortillas Friday night. I was planning on bringing them already prepared just as something special. Oh well.... I took it as a sign to let it go and do something else.....

I think I'll go back to the store after work tomorrow and get thicker tortillas and a pkg of wonton wrappers. After making them, and having way too much "cup" I think I'll also take Amy's advice and make the squares smaller. I'll run home and try to make the cups ahead of time and just take them to the show. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hi---

I just practiced making these last might. I agree--you definately have to use a tortilla that is not to thick. I had ones that were too thick and they were a nightmare to 'wrangle'. Luckily my DH came to the rescue and help fix them--but if I were doing these for a show I'd get thinner tortillas or just switch to wonton wrappers.

Oh this is my first post!!!

welcome partygirl43
Your first post and you are already helping others!!! That's the reason chefsuccess is sooo awesome!

Whew!!
You guys had me NERVOUS!

I was making these for my Open House tonight...Spring Product Preview/Mystery Host show...

I made Shrimp Wonton Cups at 3 of my shows this month...So I had the wonton cups down pat! Althought it took two shows to get it to look nice...

These tortilla cups were easy for me...and I was worried after reading this thread.
I think the problem could have been not cutting the slits long enough. At first I cut them 1 inch... but the sides weren't able to overlap good enough.
So I cut them more like 1 1/2 inch and they worked wonderfully! They are so cute...and I think much easier than using wontons!

I used Sierra Madre brand, and had them in the refrigerator before I started...so I was afraid being cold it wouldn't work.

Did I say how CUTE they are??! Very tedious, time consuming...not something I'd want to do during the demo...maybe I'd do only one... then let a couple guests come up and do one each...
Or have guests do a couple as they arrive...

I'm so glad this thread is here. My host for next Friday chose this recipe and I haven't practiced it yet.

Hope they are yummy!

Related to Urgent Help Needed With Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups!!!

1. How spicy is the shrimp ceviche?

The spice level of the shrimp ceviche can vary depending on personal preference and the amount of spicy ingredients used. If you are concerned about the level of spiciness, you can adjust the amount of chili peppers or hot sauce used in the recipe.

2. Can I make the shrimp ceviche cups ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the shrimp ceviche cups ahead of time. However, it is recommended to assemble them right before serving to ensure the freshness and crispiness of the cups.

3. Can I use cooked shrimp for this recipe?

Yes, you can use cooked shrimp for this recipe. However, it is recommended to use raw shrimp for the best texture and flavor. If using cooked shrimp, make sure to adjust the marinating time accordingly.

4. What can I use instead of avocado?

If you are allergic to avocado or simply don't like it, you can substitute it with diced cucumber or mango for a refreshing twist. You can also leave it out altogether and simply add more shrimp and vegetables.

5. How do I store leftovers of the shrimp ceviche cups?

The shrimp ceviche cups are best consumed fresh. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. The avocado may brown slightly, but it will not affect the taste. It is not recommended to freeze the ceviche cups as the texture and taste may be altered.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Pamperedhrcant
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • trisigma730
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • LeanneB.