• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Understanding Self-Employment Tax and How to File Taxes as a Freelancer

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over not owing any SE tax despite showing a profit on business income. The individual is advised to refer to IRS Publication 334 for guidance on SE tax and to seek help from a tax professional or customer support for further clarification.
jrstephens
I know we have to pay SE tax and match just like our employer would if we were employed. My thing is that my tax program says I do not owe any SE tax and I show a profit on business income. I want to MAKE SURE this can happen before I file my taxes this weekend.

Has anyone else who has shown a profit on your return NOT had to pay taxes?

If you did have to pay taxes, how do you go about it? I trying adding the SE form and it just says I do not owe any.

HELP!! HELP!!!

I am using taxactonline.com

IRS PublicationYou need to go online to www.irs.gov and get Publication 334. It is a Tax Guide for Small Business. Section 10 discusses SE tax. It states you must pay the tax and file Schedule SE if your NET earnings from self-employment are $00 of more. You have to use Schedule SE to figure you net earnings.

Thanks Jackie! I will go get that Pub. I think I may already have it - just need to find it.

I found it!! Quicker than what I thought. I had net earnings of more than $400,so, I gotta go figure out how to add it.

Hi there!I completely understand your concern about not owing any SE tax despite showing a profit on your business income. It's always a good idea to double check before filing your taxes.I recommend reaching out to a tax professional or accountant for advice on your specific situation. They will be able to review your tax return and provide you with a clear explanation of why you may not owe any SE tax. They can also guide you on the proper steps to take if you do end up owing taxes.In the meantime, you can also try reaching out to the customer support team at taxactonline.com for assistance with your SE form. They may be able to provide you with more information on why it is showing that you do not owe any SE tax.I hope this helps and good luck with your taxes! Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to taxes. Take care!

1. What is self-employment tax?

Self-employment tax is a tax that individuals who work for themselves must pay. It is used to fund Social Security and Medicare, just like payroll taxes for employees.

2. How is self-employment tax calculated?

The self-employment tax rate is 15.3% of your net earnings from self-employment. This includes income from freelancing, consulting, and other self-employed work. You can use Schedule SE to calculate your self-employment tax.

3. Do I have to pay self-employment tax?

If your net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more, you are required to pay self-employment tax. This includes income from a side business, freelance work, or being an independent contractor.

4. Can I deduct self-employment tax?

Yes, you can deduct half of your self-employment tax on your income tax return. This is considered an "above-the-line" deduction, meaning you can take it even if you don't itemize your deductions.

5. When is self-employment tax due?

Self-employment tax is due on April 15th, just like income taxes. However, if you expect to owe more than $1,000 in self-employment tax, you may need to make estimated tax payments throughout the year to avoid penalties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• E R
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • pc_momof3
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • jesusluvsu2005