• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uncovering the Mysteries of the Illinois Earthquake: My Experience

Indiana so it was pretty close.In summary, an earthquake struck the eastern side of Indiana at 5:37 a.m. this morning, causing people to wake up and check their clocks. It was felt in Louisville, Evansville, Chicago, Milwaukee,
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So what happened? I woke up to news of a 5.4 magnitude earthquake in IL...

Get out - really??? Where??

Centered about West Salem, IL, felt in Louisville, KY, Evansville, IN, Chicago, IL, a little felt in Milwaukee, WI, etc.4:37 a.m. CT today...

Holy Moly - I have to call my friend who lives in Chicago city!!!

My sister in law lives in Carmel IN and she sent an email that she felt it shake her house and her windows and lasted about 20 seconds!

I'm sure there's some cheffers that live near there...

Ya'll I live across the state from where that happened & it woke me up! It was the scariest thing ever. I thought someone was outside our house with a bulldozer.

I felt it here in SE MI. I have a chandelier over my bed and it rattled and I thought, "That's weird" and then a few seconds later I felt my bed shake a bit. I'm sure so many didn't even notice, but after living in southern CA for 8 years, I'm a little sensitive (and paranoid) of earthquakes!!!!! When my bed shook, I immediately knew what it was and it scared me! PS: I immediately looked at the clock and it said 5:48am which was about 10 minutes after the original quake... guess it took that long to roll here....

I'm in southern Indiana and it woke me up too. My clock said 5:37 and I'm probably 2.5-3 hours from where the earthquake was centered. At first I thought I just heard thunder and then everything was shaking - definitely not just thunder.

OH MY! I can't believe it!

Isn't Deb in Illinois? Anyone heard from her?

I didn't feel it, but they had people call in to the local news who did.

dannyzmom said:
Isn't Deb in Illinois? Anyone heard from her?

Deb's up north by Chicago. This happened towards the south central of the state on the eastern bortder of Indiana. Folks near Terra Haute might be closer.

I believe Deb is cruising!

Yes, Deb's on the cruise!
How close is Rae?

But if we felt it here in Detroit, it would have been felt in Chicago and southern Indiana, too.

I live in NW Indiana and we felt it! It knocked some things down from our bedroom closet. We lived in California and have been through 2 quakes there and we were both dreaming of going through a quake when the stuff fell and hit the closet door. That woke both of us up! Wierd to have it happen here.

chefann said:
But if we felt it here in Detroit, it would have been felt in Chicago and southern Indiana, too.
Yep - I know that. I'm about 3 hours away & felt it too. Just meaning that they shouldn't have had any harm come from it. That's all. :)

I'm about 10 miles from where the epicenter was. We have no damage. I had some mugs fall off the top of the hutch and some of DW's Willow Trees fell off some shelves but nothing broke. DD1 keeps asking if we are going to have some more rumble shakes. She is 4. We have had a few aftershocks but nothing bad. My Dad lives about 4 miles from West Salem and had no damage.

So far I heard no injuries have been reported.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago - neither my husband nor I felt it (and he was getting up for work at the time and I got up to use the bathroom) - my neighbor's mom felt it right when it happened and she lives about 20 minutes from me.

We felt it here in Indiana! It was quite interesting at 5:30 this morning

and i thought i was just having a bad nights' sleep! i live an hour northwest of chicago and was woken up by it last night. nothing rattled, so i though it was just me.

i'm sure a lot of people here slept right thru it.

My In-Laws live in Bloomington,IL. I don't know yet if they were affected.

It woke me up! I love an earthquake. . .at least the little ones I've experienced here in SW Michigan.:rolleyes: I know, I'm a little crazy.

I didn't notice any noise like a rumble, just my bed hitting the wall. DH said the light fixtures were swinging downstairs. He was trying to figure out what was going on and yelled up the stairs (something had fallen) "are you okay". I yelled back "I think we are having an earthquake".

If you were sound asleep or in a moving vehicle, you probably would not have noticed a thing -- at least not as far away as we are from the epicenter, about six hours from my house.

Supposedly, it was felt quite a bit here in GR too, but we must be very sound sleepers....we slept right through it. It was the #1 news story on all of the local newscasts this morning though!

Becky-I'm originally from Muskegon in fact my picture is me and my DD at the Carrie Underwood concert a few weeks ago!! Anyway, my brother said that it just sounded like a big truck going down the road but he didn't hear anything...but its also my brother prlly trying to get attention

JillianAnthony said:
Becky-I'm originally from Muskegon in fact my picture is me and my DD at the Carrie Underwood concert a few weeks ago!! Anyway, my brother said that it just sounded like a big truck going down the road but he didn't hear anything...but its also my brother prlly trying to get attention

I live in Jenison - but strangely, a great majority of my shows are in the Grand Haven/Spring Lake/Muskegon area....I'm over there quite a bit!

Wasn't the Carrie Underwood concert at the VanAndel? Or am I thinking of something different?

Awesome. I have family in Rockford. Yes, it was at the VanAndel. We had 5th row stage right seats, but because HER stage came out, we were right next to her. It was AWESOME!

JillianAnthony said:

There is actually a rolling sound when there is a quake we woke up to one about a month 1/2 ago and I thought there was a huge truck outside my house. That was my 1st one I had ever been through.

Spoke to my friend who lives in Chicago (near Harpo studios) - he didnt feel a thing - Said he spoke to people on the train and they didn't either - Scary stuff!!

Welcome to my world....:cool: I'm with Jennie and love the 'little' rumblers....but, I'm deathly afraid of Tornados and Hurricanes. Go figure...I know that those can be tracked. We were visiting our Kansas cousins during a tornado warning one time...I didn't get any sleep that night!
The USGS site is great for keeping track of the earthquakes and we even get e-mails sent to us when a quake happens...usually daily...and sometimes more than one....and many in Nevada (Jennie :) ).
I'm glad to hear that everyone appears to be okay...

I am in the far NE corner of Indiana. I slept right through it. My dad said he thought there 70 pond dog slammed into the bed, so he must have felt quite a big shake at first. My mom fell asleep on the couch she said she didn't feel anything but something did wake her up. She didn't know what it was. I'm bummed out I missed it! Not very often something like this happens here! THIS IS BIG NEW HERE! LOL.

Just heard there was possibly a smaller one just recently about 10:15 a.m....

I was told that after shocks can occur up to 1 yr after a quake. I am glad to hear that there are no injuries at this time.

There was another one. Felt that one too. Scary stuff. It was a 4.5.

Here's a link showing the latest Earthquakes & their severities.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/

I felt it too! Not nearly as strong as the one this morning. Came on line to check and see if I was dreaming.

Felt the first one here in Champaign IL, but not the second one. We had one in 1987 also.

Ann R.

Glad you're all ok!

I live near the epicenter of the Northridge quake, last big one, my workplace collapsed!

Didn't feel a thing, I was sound asleep at that time. I'm about 60 miles south of Chicago and about 25 miles from the IN border.

I felt it.....Northeast Missouri! Wasn't sure was it was at first but figured it out when I flipped on the news this morning!

I'm northern Indiana.......close to South Bend and my house shook.....I had no idea what it was till I saw the news. :O

itsjustCarla said:
I'm northern Indiana.......close to South Bend and my house shook.....I had no idea what it was till I saw the news. :O

Carla,

what city? We are nearly neighbors. I'm in Niles.

I live in Brooklyn, MI and I didn't feel anything. I had a friend though who called and was all freaking out about it. I was like...you are imagining things...go back to sleep. Then I saw it on the news that there was one in IL and aftershocks felt here in MI.

lacychef said:
How close is Rae?

Crystal's estimate is about right. We felt it. I was in the kitchen when it hit. I was still trying to process what was going on when The Furry Guy came flying out of the bedroom. You have to realize that the last time we felt something like that it was an 80-foot Norway spruce falling on our house. :eek: He said his brain screamed "Tornado!" We decided it was probably a rare earthquake. The news confirmed it.

I felt it too, I'm down on the Kentucky/Tennessee border. I kinda felt it but passed it off as being a jet or something (live on a military base with a big airfield), but thought it felt like a quake. I've lived in southern California for most of my life, so I know what they feel like! I didn't know until LATE last night though that it WAS a quake!! I was saying for days prior though that we were having what my mom always calls "Earthquake Weather." We had 80 degrees for 4-5 days, then suddenly 2-3 days with highs of 40 degrees with some snow, then right back to mid 70's!!!

Glad it seems like there wasn't much damage or injury!!!

Nique said:
I felt it too, I'm down on the Kentucky/Tennessee border. I kinda felt it but passed it off as being a jet or something (live on a military base with a big airfield), but thought it felt like a quake. I've lived in southern California for most of my life, so I know what they feel like! I didn't know until LATE last night though that it WAS a quake!! I was saying for days prior though that we were having what my mom always calls "Earthquake Weather." We had 80 degrees for 4-5 days, then suddenly 2-3 days with highs of 40 degrees with some snow, then right back to mid 70's!!!

Glad it seems like there wasn't much damage or injury!!!

Sounds like everyday weather here in Indiana! There is a saying here that " If you don't like the weather wait a minute It'll change." :yuck:

<h2>1. What caused the earthquake in Illinois?</h2><p>The earthquake was caused by movement along a previously unknown fault line in southern Illinois. This fault line was likely activated by the pressure and stress of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates shifting.</p><h2>2. How strong was the earthquake?</h2><p>The earthquake was measured as a 5.4 magnitude on the Richter scale, which is considered a moderate earthquake. It was strong enough to be felt by people in neighboring states and caused some damage to buildings and roads in the area.</p><h2>3. Were there any injuries or fatalities?</h2><p>Fortunately, there were no reported injuries or fatalities from the earthquake. Some people did experience minor injuries from falling objects or broken glass, and there were reports of one person suffering a heart attack during the earthquake.</p><h2>4. Is this a common occurrence in Illinois?</h2><p>No, earthquakes are not common in Illinois. The last earthquake in the state was a 5.2 magnitude in 1968. However, the central and eastern regions of the United States have a low level of seismic activity compared to the west coast.</p><h2>5. How can we prepare for future earthquakes in Illinois?</h2><p>It is important to always have an emergency preparedness plan in case of any natural disaster, including earthquakes. This can include having a supply of non-perishable food and water, a first aid kit, and a plan for communication and evacuation. It is also recommended to secure heavy objects in your home and have a designated meeting spot for your family in case of an emergency.</p>

Related to Uncovering the Mysteries of the Illinois Earthquake: My Experience

1. What caused the earthquake in Illinois?

The earthquake was caused by movement along a previously unknown fault line in southern Illinois. This fault line was likely activated by the pressure and stress of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates shifting.

2. How strong was the earthquake?

The earthquake was measured as a 5.4 magnitude on the Richter scale, which is considered a moderate earthquake. It was strong enough to be felt by people in neighboring states and caused some damage to buildings and roads in the area.

3. Were there any injuries or fatalities?

Fortunately, there were no reported injuries or fatalities from the earthquake. Some people did experience minor injuries from falling objects or broken glass, and there were reports of one person suffering a heart attack during the earthquake.

4. Is this a common occurrence in Illinois?

No, earthquakes are not common in Illinois. The last earthquake in the state was a 5.2 magnitude in 1968. However, the central and eastern regions of the United States have a low level of seismic activity compared to the west coast.

5. How can we prepare for future earthquakes in Illinois?

It is important to always have an emergency preparedness plan in case of any natural disaster, including earthquakes. This can include having a supply of non-perishable food and water, a first aid kit, and a plan for communication and evacuation. It is also recommended to secure heavy objects in your home and have a designated meeting spot for your family in case of an emergency.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefZee
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
flemings99
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
JAE