• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting the Ganache: What Went Wrong?

In summary, the brownies sunk in the middle and the ganache would not thicken. I think the flour she used might have been old. Old flour doesn't do as well as fresh. And for the ganache, I have NO IDEA. She didn't have enough chocolate chips and we had to thorw some white chocolate ones in there, but I don't think that should have made too much of a difference!
elizabethfox
Gold Member
So I tried these for the first time last week. Turned out perfect! Took a little longer than the recipe said for the ganache to start to thicken, but once it did, they were perfect!

I had a show last night, and the hostess wanted to do this recipe, and it was a complete flop! The ganache would not thicken....we waited 30 min....still runny....the brownies sunk in the middle....I have no clue what happened.

Any ideas??

I've never made them at a show, but I never put the ganache in the fridge for more than 5 minutes. I find it's too hard to put in the cups.

I let it cool a little and then spoon it in the cups and let them sit on the counter. They'd definitely harden faster in the fridge after you put it in the cups.

The only thing I could think of that would make the brownies sink in the middle, was that the flour she had might have been old. Old flour doesn't do as well as fresh. And for the ganache, I have NO IDEA. She didn't have enough chocolate chips and we had to thorw some white chocolate ones in there, but I don't think that should have made too much of a difference!

I did that ganache recipe with white chocolate chips the first time I tried it, and it was really runny, too. Almost the consistency of a glaze. It just wouldn't thicken.

If I remember correctly, I think when I did some with white chips and some with choc chips, I think I ended up using MORE white chips in order for it to set up nicely. Maybe they have a lower melting temp or something changes once the white ones are heated/melted?

Sorry it didn't go over well...

White "chocolate" has no cocoa solids in it - that's why it's white. It also affects how it sets up, because it's basically just cocoa butter and sugar. The lack of additional cocoa solids would affect how it sets up.

elizabethfox said:
So I tried these for the first time last week. Turned out perfect! Took a little longer than the recipe said for the ganache to start to thicken, but once it did, they were perfect!

I had a show last night, and the hostess wanted to do this recipe, and it was a complete flop! The ganache would not thicken....we waited 30 min....still runny....the brownies sunk in the middle....I have no clue what happened.

Any ideas??

I did this at home and it took forever for the ganache to set. At a friend's house it worked just like the recipe. Only thing I figured was her fridge/freezer worked better than mine (which is not hard for me to believe).

As for the sinking... I can't imagine. I never had that happen. Did they taste okay?

Everyone said they tasted fine, but the filling NEVER set up. It was still runny when I left her house.

redsoxgirl said:
I've never made them at a show, but I never put the ganache in the fridge for more than 5 minutes. I find it's too hard to put in the cups.QUOTE]

Well the recipe says to put them in the freezer, which i did here at home and it set up very nicely. Then I just poured it into a ziploc baggie and piped it into the cups. Worked great at home!

Musta been the white chocolate chips....

I made these last weekend at home for a trial run - and the ganache wouldn't set up for me either. I used all semi-sweet chocolate chips (not white) and I kept it in the freezer about 15 minutes. I filled the cups and then put the entire cups in the fridge. It was a little more solid - but not as thick as someone else's I had tried.

I am thinking that maybe I didn't heat the cream up enough?? Or maybe it was because I used older chips that were store brand? Wonder if that would make a difference...

So I am curious too if anyone has any ideas.

(They still tasted good!)

I don't think store brand chips would matter, but milk vs semi-sweet (or even white "chocolate") would make a difference, as would cream to choc ratio. I would never demo these, as much as everyone loves them, because they are too temperamental! :)I am going to start trying a higher chocolate to cream ratio - another recipe for ganache I found recommended a 2 to 1 ratio for truffles, 1 to 1 for glaze. I figure I want it closer to the truffle than the glaze, and especially if I'm adding anything (I tried Triple Sec for a light orange flavor - very tasty, didn't set up well) I need a stiffer ganache.As for sinking... hmmm, I really don't know! First I had heard of old flour not doing well, but flour never lasts very long around here!!! :)

KateD said:
I don't think store brand chips would matter, but milk vs semi-sweet (or even white "chocolate") would make a difference, as would cream to choc ratio. I would never demo these, as much as everyone loves them, because they are too temperamental! :)

I am going to start trying a higher chocolate to cream ratio - another recipe for ganache I found recommended a 2 to 1 ratio for truffles, 1 to 1 for glaze. I figure I want it closer to the truffle than the glaze, and especially if I'm adding anything (I tried Triple Sec for a light orange flavor - very tasty, didn't set up well) I need a stiffer ganache.

As for sinking... hmmm, I really don't know! First I had heard of old flour not doing well, but flour never lasts very long around here!!! :)

Yes, adding more chocolate probably wouldn't hurt. I think I will try that next time (definitely will have to try with the triple sec too!!)

Yes, adding more chocolate probably wouldn't hurt. I think I will try that next time (definitely will have to try with the triple sec too!!)
Yummy! I've played around with Kahlua (coffee) and Frangelico (hazelnut) today, too. You only need 2 tsp - 1 Tbs per batch, and definitely need to amp up the chocolate (or down the cream - I always have so much ganache left over!).

Related to Troubleshooting the Ganache: What Went Wrong?

1. What is ganache and how is it used in baking?

Ganache is a mixture of chocolate and cream that is used as a glaze, filling, or topping in various baked goods such as cakes, cookies, and tarts. It adds a rich and creamy texture to desserts and can be flavored with different ingredients like liqueurs or extracts.

2. Why did my ganache turn out grainy or lumpy?

This can happen if the chocolate is not fully melted before adding the cream, or if the cream is too hot and causes the chocolate to seize. To avoid this, make sure to heat the cream just until it starts to simmer and then pour it over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for a few minutes before stirring to ensure the chocolate melts evenly.

3. What should I do if my ganache is too thick?

If your ganache is too thick, you can add a little bit of warm cream or milk to thin it out. Start with a small amount and gradually add more until you reach the desired consistency. It's important to add warm liquid to avoid shocking the ganache and causing it to seize.

4. How do I fix ganache that has separated?

If your ganache has separated and the fats have separated from the liquids, you can try to bring it back together by heating it gently in a double boiler or in the microwave in short intervals, stirring in between. If this doesn't work, you may need to start over with a new batch.

5. Can I use a different type of chocolate for ganache?

Yes, you can use different types of chocolate for ganache, such as dark, milk, or white chocolate. However, the type of chocolate you use will affect the final consistency and sweetness of the ganache. Dark chocolate will result in a firmer ganache, while milk or white chocolate will be softer and sweeter.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • LeanneB.
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • akrebecca