• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Power of Attitude: The Impact of a Positive Mindset

In summary, this woman was talking about starting a "Good News" newspaper that would feature positive stories, and the two clerks she spoke to reacted negatively.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
This was in my email this morning...I try to remember this everyday, but sometimes we all need a reminder.

Excerpt from The Power of Attitude titled: The Good News Girl

One of the most wonderful things about having a positive attitude is the number of people it touches, many times in ways you’ll never know.

Recently, I stopped by a convenience store to get a newspaper and a pack of gum. The young woman at the check-out counter said, “That’ll be five dollars please,” and as I reached into my wallet, the thought occurred to me that a newspaper and gum didn’t quite make it to five dollars. When I looked up to get a “re-quote”, she had a big smile on her face and said, “Gotcha! I got to get my tip in there somehow!” I laughed when I knew I’d been had. She then glanced down at the paper I was buying and said, “I’m sick and tired of all this negative stuff on the front pages. I want to read some good news for a change.” She then said, “In fact, I think someone should just publish a Good News newspaper – a paper with wonderful, inspirational stories about people overcoming adversity and doing good things for others. I’d buy one every day!” She then thanked me for coming in and said, “Maybe we’ll get lucky tomorrow; maybe we’ll get some good news,” and she laughed. She made my day.

The following day after my business appointments, I dropped by the same store again to pick up bottled water, but a different young lady was behind the counter. As I checked out I said, “Good afternoon” and handed her my money for the water. She said nothing – not a word, not a smile…nothing. She just handed me my change and in a negative tone ordered…“Next!”

It hit me right between the eyes: Two people, same age; one made me feel great, and the other, well, made me feel that I had inconvenienced her by showing up.

By the choices we make, by the attitudes we exhibit, we are influencing lives every day in positive or negative ways…our family, our peers, our friends, and even strangers we’ve never met before and will never meet again.

So when you brush your teeth every morning, look in the mirror and ask yourself this important question: Who do I want to be today? “The Grouch” or “The Good News Girl”? Your answer will go a long way toward determining the joy and happiness that you will experience in your life.

Check out this link for more details: http://blog.simpletruths.com/promos/tpoa.htm

Very True!!

Thanks Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We diffently need this in our daily routines. Thank you for sharing this it made my day.

Thanks Kelly! Sometimes we all could use a reminder like this. At least I can.:blushing:

Thank you Kelly-
I know I need this reminder. I also need to remember if I wake up saying I'm going to be "Good news girl" I have to stick to it. If I run into the "grouch" during the day I have to learn not to sway my good attitude!!
Have a great day!!

This exact thing has happened to me (well not what she said but the different ways I felt depending on the clerks at the store). When I get an especially friendly clerk I go to the service desk and comment - many stores give cudos at their meetings for employees who get compliments. I know they get the negative comments and I feel that the positive are even more important.

It's like kids - catch them doing/being good and they'll model that behavior. Catch them being bad and they'll see that as a way to get attention.

Another thing I'll do is ask a clerk if she's having a bad day (or doesn't feel well). Sometimes that gets them to realize the impression they are giving to the customer without getting grumpy myself.

Oh Beth... I do the SAME THING! We once scared a waiter half to death because at the end of our meal we asked to speak to his manager... poor kid... I think he was shaking... I should have told him why.... he was THE BEST wait person we had had in years and I wanted to tell his boss. He earned a free meal because of the compliment and I earned the lesson of not scaring the socks off someone who had done such a great job! My daughter the teacher says one of her favorite profs in the Ed dept. always said to sandwich anything negative between two positives ... it'a alot easier to eat that sandwich!!! I love that quote!

quiverfull7 said:
Oh Beth... I do the SAME THING! We once scared a waiter half to death because at the end of our meal we asked to speak to his manager... poor kid... I think he was shaking... I should have told him why.... he was THE BEST wait person we had had in years and I wanted to tell his boss. He earned a free meal because of the compliment and I earned the lesson of not scaring the socks off someone who had done such a great job! My daughter the teacher says one of her favorite profs in the Ed dept. always said to sandwich anything negative between two positives ... it'a alot easier to eat that sandwich!!! I love that quote!
People will be more likely to listen to you if you have that attitude too. If you are always complaining they peg you as "that woman".

The last time I complimented a clerk to the service desk I said "I want to make a comment about one of your checkout clerks". The SD person had a look like "oh, no, now what" and was very happy when I told her what I did about the girl - she wasn't surprised either when she learned who it was.

We have done the same thing you did at restaurants (well... we didn't scare the wait person) but what we usually do is give a more generous tip. One time we put the standard 20% tip on our card and slipped the waiter an extra $5 (it was a sandwich place so that was a major tip). I don't know if he claimed it or not. We have sons who have been/are waiters and they get very little base pay and often have to share their tips with other employees and we felt he was the one who deserved the extra.

We tipped this young man very generously as well... especially after we scared him to death!!!! :) He'll be a manager in no time I'm sure!

1. What is the overall message of "Attitude Is Everything!"?

The overall message of "Attitude Is Everything!" is that having a positive attitude can greatly impact your success and happiness in both your personal and professional life.

2. Who is the author of "Attitude Is Everything!"?

The author of "Attitude Is Everything!" is Vicki Hitzges, a motivational speaker, author, and former television news anchor.

3. How can I improve my attitude?

There are many ways to improve your attitude, including practicing gratitude, surrounding yourself with positive people, setting realistic goals, and focusing on the present moment.

4. Is "Attitude Is Everything!" only applicable to work or can it be applied to other aspects of life?

"Attitude Is Everything!" can be applied to all aspects of life, not just work. Having a positive attitude can improve relationships, health, and personal fulfillment.

5. Are there any real-life examples of people who have benefited from the principles in "Attitude Is Everything!"?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of people who have seen significant improvements in their lives after implementing the principles in "Attitude Is Everything!" Some examples include business leaders, athletes, and individuals facing personal challenges.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lesliec
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Lilamyw3
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
  • pattikake