• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tastefully Simple - Anybody Know Anything About It?

:o:D I don't know about the consultant program at all (what they get paid, what they "have to" carry, etc).
Cindycooks
Silver Member
I have a lead and she is trying to decide between the two. I am trying to play up the "good" about PC without knocking TS too badly (I dont want to appear that way...) BUT do they have to carry inventory, meaning where does all the food come from that they prepare at each party know what I mean????

Anyone with any insight on TS, please do tell.

I don't know a lot, but I do know that many of the consultants feel the need to have lots of product on hand. I don't know if that's a company requirement, though.

I don't know too much, but I know their starter kit is more than ours, and it is mostly consumable items. I think our starter kit is a better value, and you can make anything using the tools, not just our recipes using the seasonings we sell.

I have had a TS party and they do carry inventory. i dont know if it is required but most of them do. she even carried most of it to my house for my party and so when we ordered something, she had it right there.

The Company line is that they don't have to carry product...but the reality is that most TS consultants do carry product.

I dont see how they can have a party without carrying inventory. I've been to two. At the first one, the consultant wore ME out watching. She must have cooked everything in the catalog for us to sample. At the second one, we only sampled 2 or 3 things. All that food has to some from somewhere.

From what I know, they don't "have" to carry inventory. I would guess most people do, but they also do the thing where the products come directly from their home office to the host. Or to the guest. I have one friend who's been selling for 5 years and a couple others who sold it for a short time and quit. I know that their commission is different depending on if the sales are from a show or if it is a re-order. The host benefits (you get 10% of the show total for free) basically come out of their commission. From what my friend told me a few years ago, they got 36% commission from all reorders, but if it was from a show, they got 26% because the other 10% essentially went to the host).

Somewhere around here, there is a file that is called something like direct sales research or something and it's a nice comparison chart that encourages someone to look at various points about both businesses. I'll see if I can find that. Good luck!

I had a party a few months ago and I got a sample packet in the mail from my consultant of things I needed to make. I didn't mind making it, but some people might be put off by that (I had to make 4 or 5 dips and 2 types of breads). The consultant brought a lot of samples for the other items (dips and sauces mostly) and I bought chips and crackers to sample the dips.

Their stuff is kind of expensive - it's really good, but expensive. I'm afraid to use it because then it will be gone! LOL
PC stuff - you always have it and can use it multiple times!

Our host program is way better! I had over $300 in orders and only got $10 free and a silly little spreader - no half priced, no discounted products, no discount for a year.

I don't know about the consultant program at all (what they get paid, what they "have to" carry, etc).

Last edited:
redsoxgirl said:
I had a party a few months ago and I got a sample packet in the mail from my consultant of things I needed to make. I didn't mind making it, but some people might be put off by that (I had to make dips and 2 types of breads).

Their stuff is kind of expensive - it's good, but expensive. I'm afraid to use it because then it will be gone! LOL
PC stuff - you always have it and can use it multiple times!

Our host program is way better! I had over $300 in orders and only got $10 free and a silly little spreader - no half priced, no discounted products, no discount for a year.

I don't know about the consultant program at all (what they get paid, what they "have to" carry, etc).

LOL - that's me too! Saving it for an occasion special enough to use it....:eek::D

I do remember reading this somewhere. I need to find a TS website to look at.

Is host shipping free??? thanks Becky for looking for that file - that will be nice to have.

My lead says she has asked around and most of her friends had rather she do TS because they already have kitchen stuff (not necessarily PC). She is young, 22 - a marine wife, this is a hard one to convince.

Yep, the comparison chart is called directsalesresearch and it's in the files section. The computer I'm on right now won't let me save it and attach it, but you can find it doing a search.

pamperedbecky said:
From what I know, they don't "have" to carry inventory. I would guess most people do, but they also do the thing where the products come directly from their home office to the host. Or to the guest. I have one friend who's been selling for 5 years and a couple others who sold it for a short time and quit. I know that their commission is different depending on if the sales are from a show or if it is a re-order. The host benefits (you get 10% of the show total for free) basically come out of their commission. From what my friend told me a few years ago, they got 36% commission from all reorders, but if it was from a show, they got 26% because the other 10% essentially went to the host).

Somewhere around here, there is a file that is called something like direct sales research or something and it's a nice comparison chart that encourages someone to look at various points about both businesses. I'll see if I can find that. Good luck!

You are right on Becky.......one of my really good friends sells TS. I love her and I really like TS products, but I would NEVER sell it!! To be honest (at least in the South), PC is MUCH easier to sell that TS. In fact, my friend even picked up another DS company and started selling "naughty" stuff, b/c she makes a lot more commission off the naughty stuff than TS. HTH!!!!

One of my best friends is a TS consultant...

She says that they have a new "policy" where they are supposed to go "no inventory", but alot of consultants do carry it, it is NOT a company policy.
The start up kit, called a "Blast Off Kit" is a little more expensive and it is supposed to get you through your first 6 shows.

Commission is paid directly, like Avon, instead of issued a check or direct deposit twice a month and they do NOT get a 1099 for tax purposes at the end of the year.

Their incentive goals are CRAZY...right now they are running an "incentive" and I THINK they have to do $1500 this month (it might be more, I know it's not less) to get a calendar, like the one we get for free. I asked how much the calendar runs which they normally have to purchase, and she said it is something like $7! ($1500 in sales for a $7 calendar????) They run other incentives similiar to that one, where the sales goal is really high for a chinsy item. Oh, and last summer my friend earned a spice rack and it took the company almost 3 months to get it to her!

She has told me in the past that had she gone to a PC party before TS that she probably would have wound up selling PC instead. One of her new clients even asked her a week or two ago if she gets any kind of "discount" for being a past host...she said "no, TS is not like Pampered Chef"....LOL

Plus, the host credit is not good, for every $100 in sales you only get $10 credit, most of their spices run about $8.99, so you really don't get much out of it as a host. She does not have much repeat business for that reason.

I also have seen (and sometimes I'm the same way) that customers of TS aren't necessarily loyal to "their consultant." I know that happens with PC too, but it's so easy to run across a TS consultant at a fair or booth thing and if she has inventory, people would just buy from her if they need something as opposed to waiting to order through "their" consultant. Know what I mean? That was just another thought I had.

My coworker use to sale TS but stopped b/c of thier rising shipping costs. her customer would quit ordering b/c it was so high.

I do love some of the food though! She told me I could go to TS' website and get cheaper shipping direct from them than by getting it from her when I asked what was I to do now.

She had a hard time booking parties too b/c the rewards were so low.

I recently did a PC and TS show at a hosts house. I usually don't like to do these but I know the TS rep and we did work well with each other. She did not carry the product with her; she orders it. Shipping STARTED at $6.95 and the product will be delivered to my house. Of course, no tax on food. I have lost 2 potential recruits to TS. Both signed when TS did a signing special (can't remember amount) and they both just planned on relying on re-orders. We all know how short term that is! I am still waiting for my product (show was 2 weeks ago). The food that was sampled was good but I feel it was a little pricey. I'm sticking with PC. :chef:

Cindycooks said:
I do remember reading this somewhere. I need to find a TS website to look at.

Is host shipping free??? thanks Becky for looking for that file - that will be nice to have.

My lead says she has asked around and most of her friends had rather she do TS because they already have kitchen stuff (not necessarily PC). She is young, 22 - a marine wife, this is a hard one to convince.

You might want to point out, that in order for her to be successful, she is going to want to look beyond her circle of friends - and that PC has one of the highest show averages in the industry....and the shows are easy to book!

I attended my first TS party last month at one of my best hosts home.I took my 15 year old to sample the food since we are watching her sugar intake and she could tell me what she liked.Good Grief! I felt so sorry for my friend. the rep had her make a sample of every food item they sell we were there over 2 hours and she was still READING off her product info guidewe only bought 4 things because we really didn't care much for any of them. (We don't like homemade gourmet much either and I know the lady who started it her daughter danced with my daughter)the lady said in the start up kit they get $160 in food samples and it is enough to give host packets to your first 4 hosts.... so I'm thinking you gave Susan $40 worth of samples and there are only 5 people here, not sure she really made much $$ that day. I only spent about $35 My friend has at least 2 $1,000 parties a year with me and usually 2 mid season that hit over $500 she never told me what her benefits were from having the show and if she was disappointedshe had her make the frozen sangria slush and it took 2 bottles of wine so I know she spent way more than she ever does with PC.

Teresa Lynn said:
I attended my first TS party last month at one of my best hosts home.

I took my 15 year old to sample the food since we are watching her sugar intake and she could tell me what she liked.

Good Grief! I felt so sorry for my friend. the rep had her make a sample of every food item they sell we were there over 2 hours and she was still READING off her product info guide

we only bought 4 things because we really didn't care much for any of them. (We don't like homemade gourmet much either and I know the lady who started it her daughter danced with my daughter)

the lady said in the start up kit they get $160 in food samples and it is enough to give host packets to your first 4 hosts.... so I'm thinking you gave Susan $40 worth of samples and there are only 5 people here, not sure she really made much $$ that day. I only spent about $35 My friend has at least 2 $1,000 parties a year with me and usually 2 mid season that hit over $500 she never told me what her benefits were from having the show and if she was disappointed

she had her make the frozen sangria slush and it took 2 bottles of wine so I know she spent way more than she ever does with PC.

That has been my experience with TS too - it's expensive for the host! The TS consultant provides the mix samples- but the host has to provide everything else....

I've bought a couple of items from TS at fairs, but I was to my first party a few months back. It was fun, but sure looked like a lot of work for the host and the consultant. The poor consultant kept running to the kitchen to grab the warm items (soup, hot dip, etc.) and was constantly having to reexplain what things were because she'd be on to the next item before one got all the way around the circle of guests.Their mixes are good, but in this economy, I can't justify paying that much for a cheeseball mix when I need more money to pay for "real" groceries. And I can't be the only person in the country with that opinion.

chefann said:
I've bought a couple of items from TS at fairs, but I was to my first party a few months back. It was fun, but sure looked like a lot of work for the host and the consultant. The poor consultant kept running to the kitchen to grab the warm items (soup, hot dip, etc.) and was constantly having to reexplain what things were because she'd be on to the next item before one got all the way around the circle of guests.

Their mixes are good, but in this economy, I can't justify paying that much for a cheeseball mix when I need more money to pay for "real" groceries. And I can't be the only person in the country with that opinion.

Not even the only person in the state!;)

I love the almond poundcake and the strawberry-rhubarb spread, but it's about 1/4 of the cost to make my own poundcake, and I can also make or buy the spread for less...

So, when there is very little expendable income - those things go right out the window!

That's an excellent point. Our tools, while sometimes a sizeable up-front investment, allow us and our customers to make economical family meals easily. TS, while tasty (your opinion may vary), is a luxury item that, while easy, is far more expensive than making a comparable food from scratch, or even partially from scratch.

I have a good friend who does TS and we did an open house and more guests bought PC products than TS. The show I did for her was about 300.00 I got so much off our order and I had to pay for shipping and the products go directly to the host and guest. The PC part that she did for me was about 500.00 in July so she got 140.00 free products! She said she does not keep inventory she has sample demos that she uses just for shows etc. She did ts fulltime and her catalogs (sm) only cost her 25cents. I think PC products like the bakeware and cookware are nice with TS products. For the open house I made pork tenderloin in the DCB with their sauce and it was good. I made their breads on the stone etc..

I love TS products. I use them alot. I like them for how easy they are to prepare. could I make some of them on my own, yeah probably, but I am not patient enough to do that.
The consultants don't have to carry products. They purchase sample sizes of the items for the hostesses to prepare at a cheap(er) price. I have a very good friend that sells TS and she and I have held parties together and they go pretty good.
Yes their shipping is high, whenever I purchase from a party I usually split the shipping w/ other people to save money. (I hate when people do this at PC parties, but I do it at TS parties!!)
I would never switch to selling TS. I love PC too much!!

I asked the consultant if it was a big deal to combine our orders to save on shipping and she didn't care. It was less expensive to combine the $50 order and have it all shipped to me then for the three of us to do it separately. Shipping would have been $6.95ish each instead of $5 for the three of us together. The consultant was also able to order our product right away even though the show wasn't closed, so we even received our product before the show was closed. That was cool.

I wouldn't sell it, but you have to give the good info about us and give her the right questions to ask. Then keep her on your lead list. She's young and her friends may be young too. They will realize the kitchen tools they are using aren't going to hold up to the test of time. She can start selling PC when her friends start saying "We need to have a PC show."

The thing I disliked about the TS show I went to was the fact that the consultant read from a flip chart the entire time! She went page by page through the catalog and the show (minus ordering) took 2 hours! It was ridiculous! I also have always combined my orders with someone else - $6.95 for myself or 10% of $50 or over... umm, of course I'll combine for cheaper shipping!

my newest recruit is a TS rep on her way out. She signed with them liking not carrying heavy products and her presentation was reading from the cards. What she quickly found.......it doesn't pay for the host to host! Too much $$ out of pocket to prepare the "samples", and the re-orders are just not there as often as she thought with the "consumable" product. Guess it goes to show that people want something to show for what they spend!

I had even done a combined show with this particular gal where she basically put me & PC down during her demo because of the products I carried in. Oh, how time and patience pays off!;) So, even if she decides to go with TS, don't lose hope. People want what we have. Sometimes they have to try something else before they come to their senses!! :D

Thats what the host said Amy at the last party I attended - she spent more on buying all the food for all the samples the consultant wanted to share, than she earned in free products. She actually lost money. I want to tell this girl all of that but I don't feel right bad-mouthing another company.

I did find the comparison chart that Becky mentioned and emailed this to her. I did not mention TS by name. I told her to use this as a guideline to compare other companies to PC that she might be considering. She still says that the few friends she has made on base all have a PC consultant they are working with and dont know anyone that does TS and they would support her in TS. I am not going to sweat it. I have others on the fence I am working with.

Cindycooks said:
Thats what the host said Amy at the last party I attended - she spent more on buying all the food for all the samples the consultant wanted to share, than she earned in free products. She actually lost money. I want to tell this girl all of that but I don't feel right bad-mouthing another company.

I did find the comparison chart that Becky mentioned and emailed this to her. I did not mention TS by name. I told her to use this as a guideline to compare other companies to PC that she might be considering. She still says that the few friends she has made on base all have a PC consultant they are working with and dont know anyone that does TS and they would support her in TS. I am not going to sweat it. I have others on the fence I am working with.

Let us know how it turns out. That's great that you're trying not to bad-mouth them. Hopefully she'll "see the light" when she does that comparison chart. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I like many TS products so I had my first show last fall. I was so surprised at how little I received for free and then I had to pay to ship the free products to me! My consultant did the same reading off the cards. It wasn't very entertaining. I don't think I'll have a show again, but I do order things I like.

When I first thought about doing DS, I thought between TS and PC. PC was definitly the right fit for me. My girlfriend just signed up to do TS & hopes we can do booths and joint parties together, which I'm fine with. She shared their compensation package and boy do they have to sell a lot to get very little. Basically in the first month August 1200 than Sept to Oct 2400, then it jumps to 3200.00. Which is a lot considering majority is 10.00 or less Basically, by reaching her goals she is receiving a tote then another rolling tote with lapboards and then the final one is all her supplies. I didn't say much but I wanted to start talking about everything I have received but didnt' think it was necessary. I'm still in shock on how much I've received in my first 30 days.

We have a co-worker who mentioned wanting to get into DS for extra money, she said I was thinking TS. This was only about 2 days into me starting and all I could say was "no you should look at PC" well now I know better. I sent her a nice email saying I knew she talked about doing a DS business and just wanted to let her know about our new promotion. 50% rebate. She was very thankful and said that she is moving and has to fix her transmission but this is 3rd on her list to look into. 3rd NOT BAD. I do believe the business speaks for itself, if it is the right fit, that person will know but I'm more than happy to spread the word.

Humble Beginnings said:
When I first thought about doing DS, I thought between TS and PC. PC was definitly the right fit for me. My girlfriend just signed up to do TS & hopes we can do booths and joint parties together, which I'm fine with. She shared their compensation package and boy do they have to sell a lot to get very little. Basically in the first month August 1200 than Sept to Oct 2400, then it jumps to 3200.00. Which is a lot considering majority is 10.00 or less Basically, by reaching her goals she is receiving a tote then another rolling tote with lapboards and then the final one is all her supplies. I didn't say much but I wanted to start talking about everything I have received but didnt' think it was necessary. I'm still in shock on how much I've received in my first 30 days.

We have a co-worker who mentioned wanting to get into DS for extra money, she said I was thinking TS. This was only about 2 days into me starting and all I could say was "no you should look at PC" well now I know better. I sent her a nice email saying I knew she talked about doing a DS business and just wanted to let her know about our new promotion. 50% rebate. She was very thankful and said that she is moving and has to fix her transmission but this is 3rd on her list to look into. 3rd NOT BAD. I do believe the business speaks for itself, if it is the right fit, that person will know but I'm more than happy to spread the word.

Awesome! Let us know what happens.:)

I know a TS consultant who 'has done much with the business this summer, because of personal problems,' but, boy, does she have alot of questions about PC!! I'm hoping to get her to finally book a party, then talk her into signing! I don't want to push her too early, because she has a TS team, and I don't want her to rush the decision.

Sarah

1. What is the difference between Pampered Chef and Tastefully Simple?

Both Pampered Chef and Tastefully Simple offer high-quality kitchen and food products, but the main difference is that Pampered Chef focuses on kitchen tools and cooking demonstrations, while Tastefully Simple specializes in gourmet food products.

2. Can you tell me more about the products offered by Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef offers a wide range of kitchen tools, cookware, bakeware, and pantry items. Our products are designed to make cooking and entertaining easier and more enjoyable. We also offer recipe ideas and cooking tips to help you get the most out of your products.

3. Do I have to carry inventory as a Pampered Chef consultant?

No, as a Pampered Chef consultant, you do not have to carry inventory. You can simply take orders from your customers and have the products shipped directly to them. This eliminates the need for you to store and manage inventory.

4. Where does the food come from for Tastefully Simple parties?

Tastefully Simple sources their food products from various suppliers and manufacturers, and they are then prepared and packaged by the company. As a consultant, you do not have to prepare the food yourself, but rather showcase and offer samples of the products at your parties.

5. Can you give me some insight on Tastefully Simple?

Tastefully Simple is a reputable company that has been in business for over 25 years. They offer high-quality, gourmet food products that are easy to prepare and perfect for entertaining. As with any direct sales company, success as a consultant depends on your efforts and dedication to the business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • otisbg
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies