• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Surviving the Chaos: Our Moving Journey from Virginia to Our New Home

In summary, we moved into our new house on Thursday. Our stuff will be delivered next Wednesday. Yesterday we put in a fence. Today we painted the girls room. Tomorrow we paint the living and dining room.
erinyourpclady
Gold Member
today is day 12 since they pack our belongings in Virginia and I started living without! LOL!! We moved into our new house on Thursday. Our stuff will be delivered next Wednesday. Yesterday we put in a fence. Today we painted the girls room. Tomorrow we paint the living and dining room and I find a laundromat to wash our clothes.
Did I mention that I hate moving?:eek:

I feel for you Erin- I haven't moved in almost 12 years and can't imagine lugging all the junk out of my basement to do it - will probably stick it out in our tiny house til the kids go to college:) - Good luck with your move - I'm sure it will be worth it!

The last time we moved (almost 4 years ago), I was 8 months pregnant and it was late fall... and it was really rainy that year! I agree, I HATE MOVING!!!

I'm with all ya'll on hating moving! I moved 10 times in 3.5 years (college, studying abroad, moving abroad, moving across the us, etc) and I am so sick of moving!!!!

I hate moving also, but it's part of the military life so there is nothing I can do about it... except complain:p

I also hate moving. When The Furry Guy and I moved into our current home it was our ninth move in 8 years. He was a deployable marine, and every time they sent him to sea I moved back to stay with family. We've lived here for almost fourteen years. It's our plan for our great-grandchildren to visit us in this home.

But Erin, you have to admit, having someone else do the actual moving REALLY helps. I never mind putting my house back together as long as I didn't have to do the physical moving.

PamperedChefDebi said:
But Erin, you have to admit, having someone else do the actual moving REALLY helps. I never mind putting my house back together as long as I didn't have to do the physical moving.

Absolutely Debi!! LOL!!
This was the first time though that the packers wouldn't pack candles or light bulbs. I know the always say they don't but then they do. I have a lot of candles and apparently lamps.
Ah well...only 3 more nights on a air mattress.

raebates said:
I also hate moving. When The Furry Guy and I moved into our current home it was our ninth move in 8 years. He was a deployable marine, and every time they sent him to sea I moved back to stay with family. We've lived here for almost fourteen years. It's our plan for our great-grandchildren to visit us in this home.

DH is a Marine as well...we are on our 5th duty station and 9th move. We lived in 4 different homes in Okinawa over the 7.5 years we were there! Oh and we will be moving out of this house in a year as it is due to be renovated.
LOL!! Though as Debi pointed out..at least I didn't have to pack all those moves!!

Okinawa!!! That's where I am right now!!

We're only on our 2nd house here, and we've been here 18 months.

Since I've been married to my AF hubby, we've lived in five different houses in five years!!

Ah, the military life...

The Furry Guy always did all the packing. He's a genius when it comes to packing. He helped some friends of ours move to a plain (think Amish) community. He and his family were using a semi to move everything. They had packed half of their stuff into the semi and it seemed to be full. The Furry Guy had them take everything out. He supervised (and helped with) the re-packing of many of the boxes, then the re-packing of the semi. Everything fit nice and tight. Nothing was broken or missing when they arrived at their new home. My man has many talents. :)

Related to Surviving the Chaos: Our Moving Journey from Virginia to Our New Home

1. How did you handle packing and organizing for the move?

We started by decluttering and donating items we no longer needed. Then, we used a labeling system to keep track of what was in each box and packed room by room. We also utilized packing materials such as bubble wrap and packing paper to ensure our belongings were protected during transit.

2. Did you hire a moving company or do it yourself?

We decided to hire a moving company for the long-distance move. This allowed us to focus on other aspects of the move and relieved some of the stress of physically moving our belongings. However, we did pack and unpack our own belongings to save on costs.

3. How did you handle the logistics of moving with young children?

We made sure to involve our children in the process and explain to them what was happening. We also packed a special bag for each child with their favorite toys and activities to keep them occupied during the move. On the day of the move, we arranged for a babysitter to watch them while we focused on the move.

4. How did you deal with the emotional aspect of leaving your old home and community?

It was definitely tough to say goodbye to our old home and friends, but we made sure to focus on the excitement of starting a new chapter in our new home. We also made plans to stay in touch with our friends and visit our old community in the future.

5. What tips do you have for settling into a new home quickly?

First, we made sure to unpack and organize essential items such as kitchen supplies and bedding first. We also took the time to explore our new neighborhood and find new routines and activities to get involved in. Lastly, we made sure to stay organized and prioritize tasks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • Sonia_J
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
chefloriray