• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling with Burnout: Balancing PC and Personal Life - Need Advice

In summary, Kathy has been doing PC for cancer research for about a year. Her first show is April 1, and her mom was sick with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. She was married for 4 months when her mom was diagnosed, and then she lost her in June. Kathy is currently training for a half-marathon in May and has several shows on the books, but she's exhausted. Kathy is supposed to have a regular call with her director tomorrow, but she's nervous.
Kathytnt
I have been doing PC for about a year. The anniversary of my first show is April 1. I got started with PC to do fundraisers for cancer research. I had been married all of 4 months and my mom was sick with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. She was diagnosed just a few weeks after the wedding.

My hubby has been wonderful and supportive this whole time. Mom passed away in June - SS month 3.

I recruited 2 people - was a Future for one month while one person dropped out soon after - A one show wonder.

I was unable to go to conference last year due to my mom passing and family and financial issue due to the estate (I am the eldest child/no will etc.) issues

I have a new job I enjoy, training for a half-marathon in May etc. I have several shows on the books but I am exhausted. I was originally going to try for the level 2 trip but I can't see reaching that level. It's jsut that I am so disorganized or am spending so much time on things that I seem like al I am ever doing is PC. My hubby feels like he isn't getting his far share of my time.

I feel like I need to taper off - If I am tapering off what is really the point of going to Conference??? I mean isn't that is your are really BUILDING a business. I mean we are talking several hundred dollars in expenses. I have conference club and PC dollars that I have earned but there is still airifare, hotels etc.

I hit my 15K already even though I didn't do any biz in June when my mom died and in January. I don't want to and am not planning to quit. I don't make much money and perhaps that is part of the problem. When I started doing the fundraiser I have been giving almost all my commission to the fundraiser participants. I guess it is causing burnout.

My hubby has been great but he really didn't sign on for a PC consultant in the house. He has been very helpful but he is having to do a lot around the house because I am doing PC. He really is the kind of hubby that helps out.

I just don't know what to do - I am supposed to have me regular call with my Director tomorrow but I am really nervous.

Kathy,

I think you have to revisit why you joined PC and discover your heart tug again. If you truly just want to do the fundraisers, then just do the fundraisers! If you want to get back to FD status and move forward that way, then do that!

Do some soul searching and then set your goals accordingly. Your director is there to help you achieve YOUR goals, not her goals. There is nothing to be nervous about.

I think that conference could help you even if you are cutting back. I have never been and it is a huge expense, but if you are truly devoted to your biz conference could help you make your shows better, not just more often. You could have higher sales (shows or fundraisers) that could help honor your mother's memory.

I would tell your director all of this and see what she says...

Okay, first...stop and take a deep breathe :) This too share pass :)

Things I've learned from my business (this might apply to you or not)....

The times I feel like all I'm doing is PC, I realize that I'm working in little pockets and then go off to do something else...back to PC...back to the laundry...etc. At the end of the day I feel like I've worked PC all day when in reality if I added it all up it would have been 30 minutes!! If I would just set the timer and focus on PC...calls, paperwork, etc...and then walk away when the timer goes off, I'd actually get more done (PC-wise) and spend less time doing it! Doing a power hour could be really helpful for you.

Enlist the help of your husband. Ask him to help you stamp catalogs, make host packets, etc while you watch a movie together. It will give you time together and help him feel like a part of your business instead of feeling left out.

Buy the Come to the Basement book for your husband. It's a great way to show him how he can support your business. (I especially like the quote on pg. 32...it's MY husband's!!)

Conference can benefit your business in so many ways, not just for building your business. Choose workshops that focus on organizing your time, finding balance between a job and PC, etc. Seek out other consultants at conference and pick their brains for some tips on how they make it all work.

Don't be worried about talking to your director. Share your concerns and ask for her help. Directors can be a big asset to helping you manage your business.

I would tell your director what you have just told us. I'd also look at your schedule. Maybe you need to pick 1-2 days a week where you make calls from 7-8pm and/or do shows and the rest of the week you do not work on PC unless you get a call. Also, I'd stop donating all of your commission to the fundraisers - only donate 5% if they do over $1,000, that way you and your husband will get something from your time and the fact that you are committing your job to raising money should not mean that you do not get any tangible benefits from it.

It can be hard to set a schedule but if you want to have sanity, a good marriage, and continue doing pampered chef you need to make sure that you are making time for yourself and your spouse. So make sure you are arranging 2 date nights a week where you two focus just on each other.

One of the problems with the new job is that they have me working a couple of evenings each week. This leaves me with less nights a week with the hubby and less time to call people at home to follow up.

I enjoy the job but it both takes time away from the hubby and PC. My director is always telling me to follow up with people during the day but most people seem to be working during the day.

Kathytnt said:
One of the problems with the new job is that they have me working a couple of evenings each week. This leaves me with less nights a week with the hubby and less time to call people at home to follow up.

I enjoy the job but it both takes time away from the hubby and PC. My director is always telling me to follow up with people during the day but most people seem to be working during the day.

That is tough. Calling and leaving messages during the day helps but then many people do not call back which can make you crazy. Are the evening hours permanent or temporary?

You've had a really difficult year. I really feel for you.

Can you carve out some time on Sat/Sun afternoons to make some calls? I can't get free time in the evening because I put my kids to bed in that time between dinner and too-late-to-call time. I have found that the best time to reach most people is the afternoon on the weekend. If I have a show one day I make calls on the other. This weekend I had shows both days and couldn't call though...

I never know what my schedule is going to be every week. I am probably going to make calls Thursday evening (I can't sleep it's 2:20 a.m. right now) and probably a few calls Sunday. Some weeks it has been so busy at work that they only nights I am off are the nights I am doing shows. You can see why my hubby is getting frustrated.

He has been working lots of OT plus doing extras at the house because I am so busy and we are both exhausted

My hubby hates PC too, but I have a feeling that when my $650 mid-month deposit comes (my biggest yet!) he will be singing a different tune!

Well he doesn't hate PC but I get occasion comments about the MLM aspect. They do dangle a lot of carrots in front of us but I like carrots. LOL! The hardest part about backing off is that it will make it harder to earn the freebies.

I have been all over the place - trying to recruit (not that successfully) bridal shows, craft fairs etc. I spend a lot of time trying to make my shows good but I still don't have a very high sales average per show. A lot of my fundraisers are catalog shows so I think that keeps my numbers low.

Ask for daytime phone numbers and call them during the day.

I totally agree with doing the soul searching again. I know it has worked for me the multiple times that I felt I was being pulled in different directions. I have come to a point to say I am happy with 1 or 2 shows a month (I only do them on the weekends).

Well my director has an appt during the time of our regular call - Should I e-mail her about what I am dealing with??? Our next cluster meeting isn't until the first week of April - I guess our next regular call would be next Thursday.

Kathytnt said:
Well my director has an appt during the time of our regular call - Should I e-mail her about what I am dealing with??? Our next cluster meeting isn't until the first week of April - I guess our next regular call would be next Thursday.

If she has an appt during your regular call time, she should contact you to re-schedule it! JMO. If you think you can better convey your feelings and thoughts by typing them out, then by all means email her (just cut and paste your first post :D ) You can then talk to her later and she will have time to think about how to best help you.

Yes... she needs to hear your heart... she can't know what you are going through unless you share it with her. She's there to help you... I'm praying right now that you can take a step back from your frustrations and see clearly how you can work PC in your life as a part of life that adds to your joy... not causing frustration... just take that step back and do what others here are encouraging you to do... revisit why and what you really want from PC. Life's been a tough roller coaster ride for you for a long time now... it's okay to rely on others... I think GeorgiaPeach's suggestion for doing a power hour and then leaving PC alone is a great one too!

I think if I scheduled a good power hour one a week this would help. I get occasional hosts that need assistance but I could do bookings etc during that time period. My hubby and I may need to start doing a look at the week when I get my work schedule each week and figure out what is a time for us and what is a time for my PC etc.

I can do a lot of the paperwork and such during the day but I need to make more time for us.

It's been a very stressful year -

just my sideI am a full time student, a full time employee, a full time house wife, and a full time pampered chef consultant. I call people in my car on my way home from work, I turn it into my office for about 40 minutes on my commute home. This way when I get home, i have time to cook dinner.

I too am trying to train for a half marathon (not going wonderful tho because i have discovered about myself that I am lazy and would rather stay in bed then run in the morning :) ) and in the fall I want to start a girl scout troop for my nieces. I am also planning a wedding (my own in jan) and dealing with a crazy mom about the whole thing.

Keep your head up, breath, make time for yourself. My hubby was not the most supportive, until he saw all the free stuff I was getting and seeing that I was actually sticking to it. Maybe soon, you could cut down your hours at your full time job because PC is helping compensate you on the back side...Thats what I am hoping to do with in the next year so maybe I can finally finish school.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it doesn't involved quiting...if I can do it, I am sure you can do it...

Randis Excuse me - There is not way you could be considered lazy - Tired yes, Lazy no

Just to add my two cents...
I would def. re-evaluate your goals, both personallly and professionally.
I would talk with your director about your life and what you are looking to get out of PC and then make a plan.
I agree the power hour plan works great and then you don't feel like you've spent all day on PC and when you do work PC you feel totally productive.

Related to Struggling with Burnout: Balancing PC and Personal Life - Need Advice

1. How can I balance my personal life with my Pampered Chef business?

It can be challenging to balance the demands of running a successful Pampered Chef business while also prioritizing your personal life. One strategy is to set clear boundaries and schedule dedicated time for both work and personal activities. It's also important to prioritize self-care and make time for activities that bring you joy and relaxation.

2. How can I avoid burnout while working for Pampered Chef?

Burnout can occur when we feel overwhelmed and exhausted from our work. To avoid burnout while working for Pampered Chef, it's important to set manageable goals and take breaks when needed. Make sure to also communicate with your team and delegate tasks when possible. Don't be afraid to ask for help or take time off to recharge.

3. What are some signs of burnout to watch out for?

Some common signs of burnout include feeling physically and emotionally drained, decreased motivation and productivity, and increased cynicism or negativity towards your work. If you notice these signs, it's important to take a step back and reevaluate your workload and self-care practices.

4. How can I stay motivated and passionate about my Pampered Chef business?

One way to stay motivated and passionate about your Pampered Chef business is to regularly remind yourself of the reasons why you started in the first place. Set achievable goals and celebrate your successes, no matter how small. It's also helpful to surround yourself with a supportive network of other Pampered Chef consultants who can offer encouragement and inspiration.

5. What resources are available to help with balancing Pampered Chef and personal life?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of resources and support for consultants, including training and development programs, online communities, and mentorship opportunities. Additionally, there are many online resources and self-care activities that can help you find a healthy balance between work and personal life. Don't be afraid to reach out to your upline or fellow consultants for advice and support as well.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Ann
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Cyndi Reeder
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • PChef_ang