• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Strange" Pampered Chef Products: A Look Back at Onion Goggles

In summary, at a cluster meeting, the director mentioned "Onion Goggles" that used to be sold by PC. These plastic goggles prevented tearing up while chopping onions. Other "strange" retired products include the Magic Mop, Battery Operated Sifter, Toaster Bags, Ice Shaver, Super Swat, and Lemon Keeper. Some products, like the BBQ seasoning, continue to be in demand even after being discontinued.
amya
At our last cluster meeting, our director told us about some "Onion Goggles" that PC used to sell. Evidently, you put on these plastic goggles while chopping onions and they kept your eyes from tearing up.:D

So, I was wondering...For all you out there who have been selling PC for a while, what are some other "strange" products we used to sell, but have retired?

If you go on the home office tour, you'll be able to see the Onion Goggles with your own eyes. . .and many more "retired" products. At least I think you'll be able to see these items. There was a display of products in the lobby of the Home Office. I think they are in chronological order. Some items are still around and others, like the goggles, have been cast aside. :)

Magic Mop, takes out the grease from soups and what not...

Battery Operated Sifter...I thought that this one was bizarre

I got a magic mop last year in a suprise pack at conference :eek:)

not old, but the toaster bags where a little odd

soonerchef said:

Oh my gosh. I forgot all about that sifter. I've only been selling for a little over a year, but I had bought that sifter at a show I went to. I don't have it anymore. It had gotten wet or something and then didn't work too well after that. Before that though, it sifted flour so fast it was amazing!

I remember the toaster bags. Someone at a show mentioned a dish drainer?

I saw the Onion Goggles at my HO tour last year - what a hoot!! The toaster bags were just like last year or the year before - they disappeared quickly. The Magic Mop is one I get requests for ALL the time!!

Enlighten me...what are toaster bags???

They were small, bags made of what looked like wax paper and you could use them to toast things in them.

AJPratt said:
They were small, bags made of what looked like wax paper and you could use them to toast things in them.

They were supposed to keep the mess (crumbs) in the bag to make clean up easy. Never sold a single set!

I've seen an ice shaver too, but never had one.

I have a customer who loved the toaster bags b/c one of her kids has wheat allergies and she could use the bags wiithout worrying about cross contamination in the toaster.

The toaster bags actually did a great job of reheating pizza. Pop it in the bag then drop in it the toaster.

Let's not forget the most recently dropped Super Swat!

Ahhh... the super swat. Never sold one.

Speaking of the Super Swat.....
Did anyone read the book where they discontinued the superswat once before and Doris' Husband, Jay, passed around cards I think it was at Conference that said bring it back and they could send them in if they wanted it back and obviously he won, for the time anyway, lol.

jdavis said:
Speaking of the Super Swat.....
Did anyone read the book where they discontinued the superswat once before and Doris' Husband, Jay, passed around cards I think it was at Conference that said bring it back and they could send them in if they wanted it back and obviously he won, for the time anyway, lol.

That's funny!

I have something but I can't remember what they called it. It is for cut lemons and it is shaped like an egg on one end. You take the top off and put your lemon it in and then put the lid back on and store it in your fridge. It came with this "tube" thing (not quite sure what to call it) that you stuck down in the lemon. The other end had a spout on it, so all you had to do was squeeze the lemon and the juice ran out the spout.

They also used to have those cake server thingys. I don't have them but my cousin does. I think one was a square and one a wedge maybe? Anyway, you could use it to cut your cake to the exact size pieces and you could serve with it too.

I've had a ton of people ask me about the BBQ seasoning. That was gone by the time I started selling.

jenniferlynne said:
I have something but I can't remember what they called it. It is for cut lemons and it is shaped like an egg on one end. You take the top off and put your lemon it in and then put the lid back on and store it in your fridge. It came with this "tube" thing (not quite sure what to call it) that you stuck down in the lemon. The other end had a spout on it, so all you had to do was squeeze the lemon and the juice ran out the spout.

That would be the Lemon Aid.:)

I personally love the toaster bags - still have some. They are the best for warming up leftover pizza. The crust is just like when you first cooked it or brought it home. They are also great for making a grilled cheese to go along w/your soup at work (as long as you have a toaster - which my day job does).

I love the BBQ seasoning and the Asian seasoning - wish they would have kept them. I don't have much of them left!

Wish I would have kept one of the old catalogs from my first show! That was back in 1992. My Rectangular Baker has "Pampered Chef - 1992" listed on the bottom of it! Wish I would have signed up to sell back then!

I also have the recipe choices sheet sent to me by my consultant - but can you beleive her name/number is not listed on it. I wish I knew if she was still selling. I make sure my name is on everything I give my hosts.

The other item a lot of people still want is the "boil control." I've heard the PC one was metal. I had one that was glass, but can't remember where I got it.

I can't wait for my H.O. tour so I can see all the old stuff!

Rhonda B.

soonerchef said:

LOL... I got both of these in my surprise pack last year!!
I had heard of the magic mop before.. but the battery operated sifter?? hehehee...
Both made me appreciate what we have now!

AND THE SUPER SWAT>>> loved it... sorry it is gone... when I first got it (and it wasn't used yet) I'd take it to shows... and it guaranteed that I'd sell at least two at every show that I showed it at!

I have the boil control...bought it before I signed up... just never use it!

The lemonAid was discontinued...and then it came back as a Help Whip Cancer pink product... then they came out with the Juicer we have now...much better!

Definitely go on the Home Office tour if this is your first conference and browse the old products... VERY interesting! And good luck with winning the shopping spree!

If you are just starting PC...I'd suggest holding on to one catalog each season... I'd love to still have one of each catalog since I started (F/W 2000)... I have the SBRC... but the catalog would be wonderful to keep. So now I"m keeping them, but just started that a year ago!

Last edited:
cat said:
They were supposed to keep the mess (crumbs) in the bag to make clean up easy. Never sold a single set!

I've seen an ice shaver too, but never had one.

Never cared for the toaster bags - but I just used the ice shaver for the first time last week.

Leea:cool:

I have the ice shaver and keep planning on using it but can't decide what to make. LOL

AJPratt said:
I have the ice shaver and keep planning on using it but can't decide what to make. LOL

Freeze water in the containers provided, purchase flavored syrup at the grocery store (I got mine at Target near the small appliances - they were with the electric ice shaver they had) and make snow cones for the kids. Otherwise I think there are a couple of other recipes in some of the cookbooks - check through the web site.

Leea:cool:

Leea: That sounds good.

I love the toaster bags. My kids can make their own grilled cheese sandwiches!! I stocked up before they were discontinued.

I have a PC food scale I bought from a customer in my office and I use it to weigh all the packets I send out for postage!

Karen

jenniferlynne said:

They also used to have those cake server thingys. I don't have them but my cousin does. I think one was a square and one a wedge maybe? Anyway, you could use it to cut your cake to the exact size pieces and you could serve with it too.

I've had a ton of people ask me about the BBQ seasoning. That was gone by the time I started selling.

Oooh - I have a jar of the BBQ seasoning brand new sitting in my cabinet - if anyone wants it I'd be happy to sell it.

Here is a recipe list for use with the Ice shaver. Another consultant passed it on to me.

Attachments

• Ice shaver.doc
    25 KB · Views: 403
My mom was cleaning out her closet and found a PC catalog from 2003. It was a year before I started selling but a lot was different! It had yellow and cobalt blue stoneware pieces! I love that people can have annual shows and still have so many new products to urchase every time. I know it isn't the preferred choice, but eBay does have some great "retired" products!

Wow! That's great, thanks!

Related to Strange" Pampered Chef Products: A Look Back at Onion Goggles

1. What are onion goggles and how do they work?

Onion goggles are a specialized kitchen tool designed to protect your eyes from the tears and irritation caused by cutting onions. They are made with a comfortable foam seal, anti-fog lenses, and a wrap-around design to keep onion vapors away from your eyes. Simply put them on before chopping onions and enjoy tear-free prep!

2. Are onion goggles only for cutting onions?

No, onion goggles can also be used for other tasks in the kitchen that may cause eye irritation, such as slicing garlic or chopping hot peppers. They can also be used for outdoor activities like gardening or grilling.

3. How do I clean my onion goggles?

Cleaning your onion goggles is easy! Simply wipe them down with a damp cloth or rinse with water and mild soap. Make sure to dry them thoroughly before storing.

4. Can onion goggles fit all head sizes?

Yes, onion goggles are designed to fit most head sizes comfortably. They have an adjustable strap to ensure a secure and comfortable fit for everyone.

5. Are onion goggles dishwasher safe?

Yes, onion goggles are top-rack dishwasher safe. However, we recommend hand washing to prolong the life of the foam seal and anti-fog lenses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
themaryk
  • jregini
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Patricia A Tana
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies