• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stoneware: Cooked on Top, Not on Bottom

In summary, stoneware should be used on the bottom rack of the oven to prevent problems with biscuits not cooking all the way. Preheating the stone helps the process.
MSmith
Hi all,

At my show this last week two ladies mentioned that they had problems baking biscuits on their flat stone- they were cooked on the bottom, but not on the top. I went through the basics w/ stoneware use & care, etc. and they didn't buy it, so I asked my director and here are a couple of answers she (and her contacts) were able to provide that I hadn't thought/know of, and I wanted to share in case you come across it, especially during the Sept. Stone Extravaganza!

1) if they have alumimum foil lining the bottom of their oven, it interrupts the flow of heat around and Through the stone- therefore, it won't work properly.

2) cookies, scratch biscuits or something with a shorter initial bake time, the stone did not have enough time to heat through and cook the bottom. For these purposes, pre-heating the stone may solve the problem.

I hope this helps someone as it has helped me!
maria

Somewhere it is written that stones should be used on the bottom rack of your oven. I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it but it really does make a big difference in how things cook.

same complaintMy husband has complained about the biscuits not cooking all the way. I knew to tell people to preheat the stone if they are re-heating pizza but I am glad to know the other. Thanks

wowLOL ! I never knew that ! My oven has aluminum foil on the bottom, it is brand new and i didnt want to stain it ! Well the foil is now gone !! TY for the tips !! :)

No heatThe one time this happened to me, my cookies were crispy on top and the bottoms just would not cook (they were in the oven twice as long as directed!)
Would you believe, it turned out that my bottom heating element was broken!! :rolleyes:
I was relieved it wasn't the fault of the stoneware!! :D
D.C.

Important to remember though...You have to remember though that if the stone is preheated, it has a much higher rate of being destroyed when food is placed on it. Any temperature change can cause it to crack. I had room temperature pizza slices, I had them out for quite some time, that I put on my round stone that was preheated and, crunch went the stone about two minutes into baking.
The rule of thumb I have always used, except that one time because I decided to give it a shot, everything stays in 5 minutes longer.
I have never had problems with biscuits or anything else I have done this way. And I always let the refrigerator type of biscuits sit on the stone about 15 minutes before putting them in the oven so they are warmed up some.
If they go on the stone then in the oven cold, then they don't work.
(Found that out the first time I used a stone, um, boy 9 years ago.)

1. Can I use stoneware on the stovetop?

Yes, stoneware can be used on the stovetop, but it is important to ensure that the stoneware is properly seasoned and that the heat is kept at a medium or lower temperature to prevent cracking.

2. How do I season stoneware?

To season your stoneware, simply rub a small amount of vegetable oil onto the cooking surface and bake it in a 350-degree oven for about an hour. Repeat this process every few months to maintain the non-stick surface.

3. Can I use metal utensils on stoneware?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on stoneware as they can scratch and damage the surface. It is best to use nylon, silicone, or wooden utensils instead.

4. How do I clean my stoneware?

Stoneware should be cleaned with hot water and a nylon scraper or brush. Avoid using soap as it can seep into the stoneware and affect the taste of your food. If there are stubborn stains, you can use a baking soda paste to gently scrub them away.

5. Can I put stoneware in the dishwasher?

It is not recommended to put stoneware in the dishwasher as the harsh detergents and high heat can damage the surface. It is best to hand wash your stoneware with hot water and a nylon scraper or brush.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • CrazyChef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
rennea
  • KatieBeth