1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Stone onstovetop - Help!

1. ChefLaurel

ChefLaurel Member

EEk!

I made a pumpkin crunch cake in my rect baker to bring to a show tonight - it's someplace where they only have a microwave, so I am demoing a micro cake, and bringing this one...

When I pulled the cake out of the oven, I set it on the stovetop to cool (this was about 10pm last night) Apparently, one of the burners was still on from dinner. About 10 mins later, I smelled burning, sniffed at the cake, and realized what was going on. I pulled it off the burner, pulled the cake out of the corner that was burning, and allowed it to cool. Cleaned it - it's a little dark inside and out.

Have I ruined my stone? Anything I can do to save it?

Thanks for your help!

Laurel

Oct 27, 2005
  2. pamperedbecky

pamperedbecky Legacy Member

Since it didn't crack already from the direct flame/heat, I would think there may be a chance it'll happen in the future. I'd say keep using it and see what happens. You could try a baking soda and water paste to try to clean more of the dark parts. There's a chance that it got a hairline crack that you won't see. I know that's happened to people and eventually it does crack, but maybe it won't. Good luck! That's a bummer!

Oct 27, 2005
  3. mary k

mary k Member Silver Member

Stone on top of stove top

I was baking cookies on mine and when I got through put the stoneware on top of the stove. Turn my back and my husband turned on the stove I then heard a loud crack and it broke. Had to throw it away.
    You can guess by know my husband was in the dog house for awhile.:(

May 17, 2006
  4. tiffanypc05

tiffanypc05 Advanced Member

i had cooked something on my pizza stone(before i started selling pc) and sat down to eat and i heard this loud crack that scared the mess out of me and mine broke. it's likely that it will probably break later on, but until then cook on it!

May 17, 2006
  5. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

Must be going around...LOL My husband wanted to cook bacon, he pulled out the double burner griddle, put it on the stove top, turned the burners on, walked away for about 3 minutes....unfortunately, he turned the wrong burners on and my rectangle stone was sitting on top of the other burners. In the short amount of time, my stone, not only broke in 3 pieces, it also caught on fire. It was very seasoned. Once the stone broke it opened up the burner to all that seasoning. It was a disaster. So, now I have a new rectangle stone to season.

May 17, 2006
  6. soonerchef

soonerchef Veteran Member

My hubby did the same thing with my medium bar pan, I was so angry!

Laurel- I would just clean the stone and use it until it breaks, if it does...

May 18, 2006
  7. ChefLaurel

ChefLaurel Member

I am pleased to report that the burner incident happened in October, and with regular usage, the pan has not broken yet!

I love my stones!

May 18, 2006
  8. KirstenAnne

KirstenAnne Member Silver Member

I did the same thing myself with the plate- Luckily the plate was same size as burner so heat was distributed evenly

May 18, 2006
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted