• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Solving Convection Oven Troubles with Stoneware: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the middle of the pizza does not cook and is raw in the middle on a LG convection oven with a ceramic/flat-top. To prevent this, reduce the oven temperature and baking time by the amount specified in the oven’s use and care manual.
stefani2
I have recently purchased a new convection oven w/ ceramic/flat-top. When I cook my frozen pizzas on my Lg. Round Stone w/ Handles - the middle NEVER cooks and is totally raw in the middle.

Can someone with a convection oven tell me if there is a secret?! Do I need to move my rack above the fan? Help please! :(

I have no idea... don't have a convection oven. But when you do find the answer, please post for the rest of us who might run into this with customers.

I understand that convection cooks at a lower heat. I have a convection oven but I rarley use it. mine has the option to use regular oven. My MIL uses hers all the time to bake cookies.

When baking in a convection oven, reduce the oven temperature and baking time by the amount specified in the oven’s use and care manual. Convection ovens have a built-in fan that forces hot air throughout the oven resulting in faster baking times. If you find that foods are getting too brown, try lightly covering the surface of the food with aluminum foil for a portion of the baking time.
At least this is what Pampered Chef says about convection ovens in their product use guide for stoneware.

conversionMost convection ovens ALREADY do the conversion (ex: press in 425 degrees for cooking FF and it will convert to 400 degrees convection).

The top is cooking at the same time, it is the VERY center of the pizza that IS NOT COOKING! - top, middle, AND bottom are uncooked.

stefani2 said:
I have recently purchased a new convection oven w/ ceramic/flat-top. When I cook my frozen pizzas on my Lg. Round Stone w/ Handles - the middle NEVER cooks and is totally raw in the middle.

Can someone with a convection oven tell me if there is a secret?! Do I need to move my rack above the fan? Help please! :(

I have a convection oven with a ceramic flat top, but have the option of turning the fan on if I want it on, or off if I don't. I have never had that problem with the fan on, or off. My fan is dead center in the back of the stove, and I have 3 racks in my oven. I use the top rack 90% of the time when cooking, unless I have more than one thing in there and need to utilize more than that.

I wish I could be of more help...when you use the convection feature, you should be setting your oven temp 15-25 degrees lower than what the item you are cooking calls for on the baking instructions as the fan causes items to cook faster, and also causes the oven to get a little warmer.

Best of luck!

Oh, you aren't letting your pizza sit out while your oven preheats, are you? That might explain the issues you are having.

:)

helpful pplKacey - I use my second rack the most often. But I was thinking today of trying it on the top rack and seeing what happens. I will try as you do.

Do you suggest to lower my temp EVEN more? (as in 50 degrees less than a 'regular' oven?)

I will try and see --thanks for your help!

Do you have your owner's manual? It should give you great tips on using it. If you cannot find it, you can usually look on the manufactuer's website and find all kind of manual's on there.

stefani2 said:
Kacey - I use my second rack the most often. But I was thinking today of trying it on the top rack and seeing what happens. I will try as you do.

Do you suggest to lower my temp EVEN more? (as in 50 degrees less than a 'regular' oven?) No- I wouldn't do that :)

Well, shoot, now I don't know what to tell you, especially since you just said your oven converts to the proper temp regardless of the temperature you punch into the oven... Do you have the option of turning off the fan? I have found that if I put the pizza in without preheating, OR put the pizza in after it's been sitting on the counter I will have a middle that isn't fully done- but it isn't raw either.

I'm at a loss for what to tell you. I'm sorry! You're oven sounds very fancy though! :)

Oh, one more thing- DUH...I'm such a dork! I don't use the stones for my frozen pizza's! HA! I just put it directly on the rack in the oven. LOL

The only pizza I put on my stone are the ones I actually make in the stone (like the 3-cheese veggie pizza or aloha pizza) or the take and bakes that I get from Papa Murphy's or Sam's Club.

Boy, I really need to think before I type. Or at least think much longer and much harder...:blushing:

great suggestionsWadesgirl - we read the manual and didn't find anything to help us.
Kacey - I will try your suggestions of putting the pizza directly on the rack AND cooking on a top rack and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help everyone! :) UR so great! :love:

stefani2 said:
Wadesgirl - we read the manual and didn't find anything to help us.
Kacey - I will try your suggestions of putting the pizza directly on the rack AND cooking on a top rack and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help everyone! :) UR so great! :love:

I hope it works for you! :) I have been pleased with how our pizza's turn out doing it directly on the rack.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Hi,

I have a convection oven as well, and I don't cook my frozen pizza's on the stone either, the crust does not get done to what I like. In this case, go for the rack. I hope that helps!

afeller said:
Hi,

I have a convection oven as well, and I don't cook my frozen pizza's on the stone either, the crust does not get done to what I like. In this case, go for the rack. I hope that helps!

Hey, Nice Rack!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :) Feeling a bit spunky tonight!

everything else????does everything else cook ok/good in a convection? do you turn your convection button option OFF most of the time???

Crap. I would kill for a convection oven at home. Well, maybe just maime someone. Have you tried preheating your stone in the oven as it heats before putting the pizza on it? Don't get all heat shocked, but I have had a lot of success that way. I do that with artisan breads and croissants. It seems that convection is a pain but the way it makes air circulate, it can be used on any of the racks and cook the same...at least that is the theory. Seemed to hold true for years at the bakery, but maybe different in commercial convection ovens. Everything should cook fine and the advantage is that all racks should get equal heat distribution so the stuff on top brown on its bum as well. the stuff on the bottom rack browns on its coco. That means for me at work that we can do a bunch of cookie pans and have them all come out the same. Holds true for chicken and roasted potatoes... Just drop temp 25degrees unless it is a recipe specifically designed for convection.

stefani2 said:
Kacey - I use my second rack the most often. But I was thinking today of trying it on the top rack and seeing what happens. I will try as you do.

Do you suggest to lower my temp EVEN more? (as in 50 degrees less than a 'regular' oven?)

I also have a convection oven with ceramic top. I don't turn my oven down 25 degrees and I cook it for the the normal amount of time. I can switch my oven from convection to normal. If you can do that try doing it on normal and see what happens

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
Crap. I would kill for a convection oven at home. Well, maybe just maime someone. Have you tried preheating your stone in the oven as it heats before putting the pizza on it? Don't get all heat shocked, but I have had a lot of success that way. I do that with artisan breads and croissants. It seems that convection is a pain but the way it makes air circulate, it can be used on any of the racks and cook the same...at least that is the theory. Seemed to hold true for years at the bakery, but maybe different in commercial convection ovens. Everything should cook fine and the advantage is that all racks should get equal heat distribution so the stuff on top brown on its bum as well. the stuff on the bottom rack browns on its coco. That means for me at work that we can do a bunch of cookie pans and have them all come out the same. Holds true for chicken and roasted potatoes... Just drop temp 25degrees unless it is a recipe specifically designed for convection.
HO doesn't recommend this because you can cause thermal shock by dropping something cold onto the hot stone.

I usually preheat my oven with the stone and the food. Helps with lower cook times.

1. What should I do if my stoneware is sticking?

If your stoneware is sticking, it is likely due to a buildup of oils or food residue. To remedy this, thoroughly clean the stoneware with hot water and a non-abrasive brush. You can also try lightly greasing the stoneware with oil before using it.

2. Can I use soap to clean my stoneware?

No, it is not recommended to use soap on stoneware as it can be absorbed into the porous surface and affect the taste of your food. Instead, use hot water and a non-abrasive brush to clean your stoneware.

3. How do I prevent my stoneware from cracking?

To prevent cracking, it is important to properly preheat your stoneware before using it. Place it in a cold oven and then turn on the heat, allowing the stoneware to gradually heat up. Avoid drastic temperature changes, such as placing hot stoneware in cold water, as this can also cause cracking.

4. Can stoneware go in the dishwasher?

Yes, stoneware is dishwasher safe. However, you may want to hand wash it to preserve its seasoning and prevent any potential damage from harsh dishwasher detergents.

5. How do I remove stains from my stoneware?

To remove stains, create a paste using baking soda and water and apply it to the stained area. Let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing with a non-abrasive brush. Rinse with hot water and repeat if necessary. Avoid using harsh cleaners or steel wool, as this can damage the stoneware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gailz2
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
NooraK
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies