• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

So, the New Knives Are Cool But...

In summary, The knives come with hard plastic covers that have the corresponding knife pictured on it. The covers can be removed, but they are not meant to be used as a stand-alone knife block. There is no mention of a cutlery holder being released in the near future. Anyone have any thoughts on storage?
bridgetbakes
...how do you store them? They don't appear to be sold with protective covers and I am not so sure it would be safe to just throw them in a drawer...they look so sharp! I was surprised to see TPC selling such high-end cutlery and NOT offer/sell some kind of butcher block holder or something?

Anyone have any suggestions on storage? Do we anticipate that TPC might come out with a cutlery holder for all the knives as a set?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Bridget;)

They actually do have protective covers:) Although I agree, a butcher block would be nice. There's a small picture in the new catalog that shows the protective cover.

In my new product workshop someone asked about the knife block. They said that it would limit the number and size of knives they could come out with in the future. As the previous poster said the knives do come with hard plastic knife covers. They all have the picture of the corresponding knife on them.

Julie

Thanks!Thanks for letting me know about the protective covers. I suspected you cheffers that had gone to conference would know the real deal! Thanks so much. I still would love it if they came out with some kind of holder though...maybe at next year's conference! ;)

Butcher block comment...One thing mentioned too was something I never really thought about before was that a Block for your knives is a personal thing.
It is not liked by people who like to NOT clutter their counters. You still want them to buy our knives but they might not becasue of the extra expense of a block they don't want.
And some people would not by knives that came in one if they didn't like the look of it. That's because it sits on a counter, fully exposed and becomes part of the decor. So that is another reason for the individual cases.

PC will never ever come out with a butcher block!! Don't you guy's read up on your products, LOL!! Butcher blocks are made out of wood, which dulls knives. That's why PC cutting boards are great because they aren't wood, and don't dull knive. WOOD SUCKS! I also agree with John, though! I got one for my wedding and it was always catching dust and take up so much space!

gilliandanielle said:
PC will never ever come out with a butcher block!! Don't you guy's read up on your products, LOL!! Butcher blocks are made out of wood, which dulls knives. That's why PC cutting boards are great because they aren't wood, and don't dull knive. WOOD SUCKS! I also agree with John, though! I got one for my wedding and it was always catching dust and take up so much space!

They used to have a knife block. Before my time! I saw it at the home of a host.

gilliandanielle said:

What about the bamboo carving boards? Do they dull too?

no Susan because bamboo is a grass not wood. Also, you shouldn't have too much contact w/ your knives and the bamboo carving board because the knife will damage the board.

bklofft said:
...how do you store them? They don't appear to be sold with protective covers and I am not so sure it would be safe to just throw them in a drawer...they look so sharp! I was surprised to see TPC selling such high-end cutlery and NOT offer/sell some kind of butcher block holder or something?

Anyone have any suggestions on storage? Do we anticipate that TPC might come out with a cutlery holder for all the knives as a set?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Bridget;)

Each one comes with a protective cover.

gilliandanielle said:
I am still using The Pampered Chef knives with wood block that I purchased years ago. My husband looked at the new knives and said "nice but I like our knives in the block. They're right there when we need them." I put the knives upside down in there to prevent dulling and have no problem with dulling. In fact I wanted to switch to the old new knives (the ones in the self-sharpening cases) but the ones in the block are still perfect...

Just like any good product...Because the knives in the block are good quality they stay sharp. And yes, I did that with a set I had, turned them upside down. But when I moved into our house, I got rid of them. Only because the block was filthy. No matter how much I cleaned it it just kept getting dusty and dirty. Eventually the grease from the kitchen over took it and I could no longer get it off. I kinda like the idea that they can go in a drawer and be protected and out of the way. But I also know I can go buy a block to my liking if I want. Most knives are standard sizes so. You can suggest, for those people who like blocks, that there are many out there to choose from. They can purchase one that will be the right fit for our knives and their kitchen and their taste.
That's how I plan to hit that question.
It's the exact same reason they did not creat a pot rack fro the Executive cookware. It's a personal thing.
I asked about both in the Showcase.

With the new knives do you think the current knives will be disconinued eventually? I am just thinking about the generation II cookware and how they only kept it around one selling season after the introduced the new cookware.

mandak said:
With the new knives do you think the current knives will be disconinued eventually? I am just thinking about the generation II cookware and how they only kept it around one selling season after the introduced the new cookware.
I think so.

mandak said:

Nope - they are keeping the self sharpening knives so they can appeal to both types of customers and pocket books. I believe both kinds of knives have a place...the self-sharpening are great for traveling (hiking, camping, hinting, fishing, etc.) and the new ones are great for home use and higher end pocket books!

It's hard to tell about the old knives. They are good knives for what you pay for them, but I personally do not like them. I think the quality is lacking, especially on the Chef's Knife. But it's all about how they're made. They are stamped as opposed to forged, so they're going to be different. It's very apparent in the Chef's Knife.

But if they lose the self sharpening knives, then all we'll have is a high end set that may be out of reach for a lot of folks.

So who knows? I think I could still sell the forged stuff (especially once I get my Santoku and start using it at shows!) but it's nice to have a budget friendly alternative.

Last edited:
where are you guys seeing the pictures of the knife covers in the mini catalog?? All I see is the knife laying on the cutting boards.

I don't think that the covers are shown in the catalogs, but they do have covers, they are like a black plastic slip-on cover with a picture of the knife on it so you know which cover goes to which.

jessica_momof6 said:
where are you guys seeing the pictures of the knife covers in the mini catalog?? All I see is the knife laying on the cutting boards.
There is a small picture of the cover in the upperr right corner on page 12 of the catalog.

BethCooks4U said:
There is a small picture of the cover in the upperr right corner on page 12 of the catalog.

the only thing on page 12 of the mini catalog is the new ultimate slice and grate??

DebbieJ said:
It's hard to tell about the new knives. They are good knives for what you pay for them, but I personally do not like them. I think the quality is lacking, especially on the Chef's Knife. But it's all about how they're made. They are stamped as opposed to forged, so they're going to be different. It's very apparent in the Chef's Knife.

Debbie - did you mean that the new knives are forged? The self-sharpening ones are stamped. I was able to hold the new knives at conference and love them!

Okay, I just reread my message and it's confusing. I'll go edit it

YEs, the new knives are forged. The self sharpening ones are stamped.

I did not get to hold the new ones at conference. They didn't have them out when I went through the room. Gotta wait for my sell a thon and cluster challenge stuff to get here. :)

jessica_momof6 said:
the only thing on page 12 of the mini catalog is the new ultimate slice and grate??
It's page 12 of the full catalog not the minicatalog.

The covers are shown prominently on page 47 of the full catalog in the host half-price combinations spread.

gilliandanielle said:

You are right... wood DOES dull knives. But BAMBOO does not. (Which is why the PC bamboo board is awesome! Bamboo is a grass not wood) Many of the high-end German cutlery manufacturers sell bamboo blocks so I was sort of hoping TPC might come out with something like that. You never know...;)

Obviously not good for those with small children, but a friend told me about a magnetic strip you can mount on your kitchen wall to stick your knives to. I think I need one of those!!!

New KnivesHas anyone received the new knives yet? I just received the 8 Qt bowl today. Thanks

I do use a magnetic strip...and you are right...we don't have children and when we do I will need to get rid of it. I am very unhappy with the knives PC currently has...they do not stay sharp and the built in sharpeners don't work very well. My husband sharpens them himself and we hang them on the magnetic strip next to the stove...it is VERY handy. I love it and you can buy it at any kitchen supply store.

Pamperedthelma said:
Has anyone received the new knives yet? I just received the 8 Qt bowl today. Thanks

I am dying to get my 8qt bowl - I want to use/show it at my show tomorrow night. I called HO and they said it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I just hope it arrives BEFORE I leave for my show!!!

I got my knife Friday (the 21st). Haven't got my bowl yet but then again I only submitted the show that helped me earn it on Thursday so I'm hoping some time next week. YIPPEE!! :D

kcjodih said:
I got my knife Friday (the 21st). Haven't got my bowl yet but then again I only submitted the show that helped me earn it on Thursday so I'm hoping some time next week. YIPPEE!! :D

Please tell us about the knife. . .you are one of the very few who earned it so I'd like to hear your opinions.

I saw the knives at a meeting on Sunday, and they look great! The only thing I noticed is, they're so sharp that they seem to cut little bits off of the protective covers every time you pull them out. I was wondering what the little black "shreds" on them were, but soon realized they were flakes from the plastic case! Ew! I'll have to make sure to wipe my knife on a towel before I slice something with it. I don't want black plastic bits in my food.

What you need to do is place the cover on the table, place the knife on the table and gently slide it into the cover.

cmdtrgd said:
What you need to do is place the cover on the table, place the knife on the table and gently slide it into the cover.
That seems like more trouble than most people will go to just to put a cover on their knife. :p Also, what's to keep the knife from slicing the cover when you pull it out?

Well, I know that I am very careful with sharp items and do everything I can to not slice myself. It is a lot of words, but once you get in the habit of doing it, you don't think twice. Just my opinion, but if you purchase something that expensive and that sharp, you take care to take care of it. I haven't seen the black pieces, but I haven't had much experience with them yet...I feel like I am rambling. Anyhoo, I would send off an email to HO asking about it - it could be a problem with the manufacturing.

I have the self sharpening knives also but use the magnetic strip to store them. I also have SMALL children!! My girls aren't allowed by the stove, and the stove is located in the corner, so the side wall next to the stove is a safe spot for the knives. When my girls play "Pampered Chef" they get to play with my tool turn about, with all safe "toys" in it. I personally love the knives I have but NEED the Santouko one for when I play "Iron Chef"!!!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyRedHead
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • NooraK
  • Products and Tips
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
Tracy99