• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Overcome My Fear of Making a Trifle? Tips and Tricks for Success!

In summary, Janet recommends using a box brownie mix, 2 boxes chocolate pudding, 2 containers whipped topping, 1 cup peanut butter, and 8-10 peanut butter cups for a peanut butter cup trifle. Against her waistline's better judgement, she suggests making and serving this trifle for dinner or an occasion. She also recommends looking for sales and stocking up on ingredients when they're discounted.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
OK ... I have the triffle bowl but here's the problem ... I'm afraid to use it!

I am not visually artistic and am afraid that anything I make will look awful! Plus they're a bit pricey to put together at home just to practice!

My Death by Chocolate Trifle NEVER looks pretty - but people know that ALL trifles TASTE AMAZING. I changed the Death by Chocolate version a bit by just using a box brownie mix. I use 2 box brownie mix on the LBP, 1 cool whip container, 1 box instant chocolate pudding, and a grated aero bar. It is inexpensive for a show or for yourself.

If you want it to look really nice - I would do something like a salad, layered fruit, or the strawberry trifle that is in the catty.

:)

It never looks really "neat"...just layer!!!!It tastes great though - any kind! I took one to work yesterday that was yellow cake, cheesecake pudding, strawberries sliced in the egg slicer and whipped topping. I put sliced strawberries on top to make it look decent.For chocolate ones, I'll grate chocolate chips on top for decoration...

Di_Can_Cook said:
OK ... I have the triffle bowl but here's the problem ... I'm afraid to use it!

I am not visually artistic and am afraid that anything I make will look awful! Plus they're a bit pricey to put together at home just to practice!

Ok, let me address this:

My peanut butter cup trifle ingredients:

1 box brownie mix - sale price or with coupons - about $.99
2 boxes choc. pudding - about $.99 each - sometimes cheaper
2 containers whipped topping - sale $.99 each - generic on sale - $.59 each
1 cup peanut butter - usually on hand but a jar on sale can be as cheap as $.99
peanut butter cups - 8-10 pack for $.99 sale

So, I watch for the sales, stock up on a few things and this one costs me about $6 MAX. for QUITE a few helpings!!!!

You can't beat that!

Peanut Butter Cup TrifleAgainst my waistline's better judgement... MUST.Have.Recipe!!!!

IAmChefJ said:
Against my waistline's better judgement... MUST.Have.Recipe!!!!

Let me find the thread and bump it - it should be titled something like...
ISO: Janet's Peanut Butter Cup Trifle...

The Strawberry Cream Trifle is a great first time trifle. The layers are simply tossed in, no worry about presentation and without any effort it still looks yummy and amazing and the taste matches. Strawberries will be coming into season soon so look out for better prices on them. Otherwise, check out sales and stock up when you have a sale or coupon. Frozen whipped topping can remain frozen for some time, as can most of the other ingredients save for the fresh strawberries since freezing the fresh would change their structure a little... you still probably could, slice 'em and freeze em. What I do to practice is offer to make dessert or something for a dinner or occasion or potluck. It's practice with a purpose and we're not stuck at home the only ones eating it. LOL...

I agree with everyone else, there is nothing to it, just layering all the goodies. My favorite is what I call Death By Chocolate. 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix - bake according to box, let cool and cut into 1x1 cubes. Then you make a box of chocolate pudding according to the directions. You layer: cake, pudding, cool whip, chocolate ice cream topping drizzled on top, caramel ice cream topping drizzled on top and health bar bites. Repeat layers. This is so sinful it's good!

I think this bowl makes everything look pretty:thumbup: And, you can make a trifle out of anything you have on hand....cake or brownies, pudding, cool whip, fruit (canned or fresh)...

You dont have to be an artist with this bowl, it just happens! It looks good layered, but once the first spoonful goes in, forget it, its a mess! This is probably one of the most "friendliest" pieces PC has!! Get using it!!

Di: I am not artistic either believe me...I can't do a paint-by-number if my life depended on it. BUT, I love doing Trifle's. There is no right or wrong to it. Sometimes I even layer incorrectly but nobody notices but me. Remember, we may be Pampered Chef's but we are not Perfect Chef's. JUST DO IT:)

Maybe I'm just emotionally scarred by hearing my co-worker talk about how her experienced consultant "tried" to make a triffle but ended up making a mess ....Anybody have an idea of something to substitute for the yogurt in the Strawberry triffle? My roomate and I are both anti-yogurt, and even if you can barely taste it, I have a feeling we both won't touch it if we know it's in there ....

I make this one...and you can substitude strawberries for raspberries. It is delish and MUCH easier then the PC recipe.

Raspberry Chocolate Trifle
Raspberry Chocolate Trifle is made with raspberries and raspberry preserves.

Ingredients:
1 package (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
2 cups cold milk
1 frozen pound cake (10-3/4 ounce loaf), thawed
2 C. fresh OR frozen raspberries, thawed
1 C. raspberry preserves
whipped cream or topping
raspberries for garnish
Preparation:
Mix pudding and milk according to package directions. Chill. Cut pound cake into 1 inch cubes. Place half in small trifle bowl. Gently stir together raspberries and preserves. Spoon half of this mixture over cake.

Pour half of the pudding over raspberries. Repeat layers. Chill until ready to serve. Garnish with whipped topping and more raspberries.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Maybe I'm just emotionally scarred by hearing my co-worker talk about how her experienced consultant "tried" to make a triffle but ended up making a mess ....

Anybody have an idea of something to substitute for the yogurt in the Strawberry triffle? My roomate and I are both anti-yogurt, and even if you can barely taste it, I have a feeling we both won't touch it if we know it's in there ....

Haven't looked at that one yet, but the one I mentioned I made for work I used cheescake pudding. It was good...

Vanilla pudding may work well too...just add extra fresh strawberries!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Maybe I'm just emotionally scarred by hearing my co-worker talk about how her experienced consultant "tried" to make a triffle but ended up making a mess ....

Anybody have an idea of something to substitute for the yogurt in the Strawberry triffle? My roomate and I are both anti-yogurt, and even if you can barely taste it, I have a feeling we both won't touch it if we know it's in there ....

If it's any consolation folks who ate the trifle I made never knew there was yogurt in it. And I used Stonyfield yogurt which is a distinctly yogurty taste yet it was not noticable at all in the trifle. I think if you used a less tart yogurt like Breyers or Yoplait it would be even more undetectable.

But I guess you could substitute whatever you want. Just layer stuff in... even just cut up fruit with layers of cool whip would be good... think of it as a GIANT parfait glass and have at it... .layers of fresh strawberries or blueberries or melon, cool whip and granola or angel food cake or pound cake... can't get any easier than that... mix and match and have fun!

Tips on Trifle Building:
(for those that think it will look "messy")1. Wipe the bowl after each layer if anything gets on the edges
2. For layering filling: Put filling in ziplock baggie. Cut corner and squeeze. Carefully nudge towards edges. Viola! clean layers-meryl

The strawberry creme trifle is easy to make and looks nice. I struggled with the Raspberry Chocolate Trifle though, it tasted good, but did not look like it did in the recipe book :)

merego said:
The strawberry creme trifle is easy to make and looks nice. I struggled with the Raspberry Chocolate Trifle though, it tasted good, but did not look like it did in the recipe book :)

That's because you're not a food stylist!! ;)

Ha ha, I wish I was a food stylist :) My greek cheese Torta didn't look like the recipe either, although it was gone in 10 minutes and people loved it :)

Trifles are not hard at all!

Try one and you will see!

Related to Should I Overcome My Fear of Making a Trifle? Tips and Tricks for Success!

1. Can I substitute any of the ingredients in the trifle recipe?

Yes, you can definitely substitute any of the ingredients in the trifle recipe. You can use different fruits, cake flavors, or even add in some chocolate or nuts for extra flavor. Just make sure to adjust the measurements accordingly.

2. How far in advance can I make a trifle?

You can make a trifle up to 24 hours in advance. However, we recommend assembling the trifle no more than 4 hours before serving to prevent the ingredients from getting soggy.

3. Can I use a different type of pan or dish to make a trifle?

Yes, you can use a different type of pan or dish to make a trifle. However, the traditional trifle dish is a deep, clear glass bowl which allows for the layers to be visible. Using a different type of dish may affect the presentation of the trifle.

4. Do I need to refrigerate a trifle?

Yes, you should refrigerate a trifle until ready to serve. This will help keep the ingredients fresh and prevent the trifle from becoming too soft or mushy.

5. How do I prevent the layers from mixing together when serving a trifle?

To prevent the layers from mixing together when serving a trifle, it is important to use a spoon or spatula to scoop from the bottom of the dish and lift the layers up. This will help keep the layers intact and maintain the presentation of the trifle.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bill Faber
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
Bill Faber
  • Bill Faber
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Intrepid_Chef