• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rib Eye Roast - Opinions Requested

In summary, the author is cooking a beef roast at home and plans to sear it outside then bake it for about 3 hours. They plan to transport the roast over the river and through the woods for dinner at the family homestead.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
I suddenly found myself in charge of making a beef roast for Christmas dinner. I'll be baking it here at home, then transporting it for dinner at the family homestead. (Not to worry, it's over the river and through the woods, probably a 20 minute sleigh ride.)Anyway, this roast is a beauty, although I've never seen a boneless rib-eye roast before, and certainly not this large. It's a little over 7-1/2 pounds and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it, since it's about 3-4 pounds larger than I've encountered before.My plan is to sear the outside in a skillet with olive oil, then bake it at 350º for about 3/1/2 hours.Any thoughts or advice?

Sorry KG. I fake it when it comes to roasts by browning lean cubed beef Then popping it in the crockpot with seasonings n some liquid.

If I put this baby in the crock pot, the lid will be sticking about 6" above the lip. :)

Hubby says 20-25 minutes per pound or so. If it's a good cut, such as Prime Rib or something, cook it to your desired doneness. I like mine medium-rare. But if it's a Pot Roast type of thing, I cook the heck out of it until it falls apart. Merry Christmas!

Here's how I do mine.

Start with roast at room temperature - so at that size you'll need to leave it out for 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 550 degrees (or it's highest temperature - some only go to 500).

Season roast as desired (I use garlic salt and black pepper) and place fat side up on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.

Put the roast in the oven and immediately reduce heat to 350 degrees. Cook 18-20 minutes per pounds for medium rare.

Let roast rest a minimum of 10 minutes before carving.

Starting the roast in the uber hot oven effectively seals the outer edges of it (like searing would) and prevents moisture from escaping during the cooking process.

One of your challenges will be the transporting phase - great for letting the meat rest but also a challenge because if you wrap it to keep it warm the trapped heat may continue to cook it.

Borrow someone's rotisserie and remove it to rest when it just hits BEEF RARE - lightly wrapped with foil as you drive to grandma's house. It will continue cooking. My caterer friend does this, but puts his in a Coleman cooler. THe same way it keeps food cold, it keeps food warm. (just a styrofoam box with plastic liner...)

Thanks for your opinions and options - you're not going to believe this one.Because of the family schedule, I started the roast here, at home, by searing it in my Executive skillet - then put it into my PC roasting pan, in the rack, and baked it for about 90 minutes.I then wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it in my Oscar cooler (thank you, Scott!) and put the roasting pan in a box (on top of PC silicone oven pads) and headed over the river and through the woods. Grandma had her over preheated to 350º for me. I checked it with my official PC digital thermometer and was pleased to see that it had only dropped a couple of degrees. Back into the pan and into the oven it went for thirty minutes. The temperature was alarming - the core temp had not gone up more than a few degrees. I raised the oven temp to 375º and checked the roast every 15 minutes,and after about 45 minutes, it was finally up to 145º.I lifted the roast (using my PC meat lifters) on to a cutting board (non PC, this wasn't my house, remember) and let it rest for about 15 minutes before carving it with my official PC carving set.It was PERFECT! The end piece was done enough to please The Kat Lady (she thinks beef should be the consistency of a hockey puck) but the center mooed when I cut into it.Sometimes, you're better off lucky than being good. I don't think I'd suggest this method to TPC test kitchens, and I don't think I could duplicate these conditions again, but I pulled it off - and Grandma thinks I'm an expert beef chef. What she doesn't know won't hurt me - so you're all sworn to secrecy.

Last edited:

1. How should I season my Rib Eye Roast?

We recommend a simple seasoning of salt, pepper, and garlic powder to enhance the natural flavors of the meat. You can also add your favorite herbs or spices for added flavor.

2. What is the best way to cook a Rib Eye Roast?

We suggest cooking your Rib Eye Roast in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes per pound. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees for medium rare. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.

3. Can I use a slow cooker for my Rib Eye Roast?

While a slow cooker can be a convenient way to cook many types of meat, we do not recommend using it for a Rib Eye Roast. This cut of meat is best cooked in the oven to achieve the desired tenderness and flavor.

4. How do I know if my Rib Eye Roast is done cooking?

The best way to ensure your Rib Eye Roast is cooked to perfection is by using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 135 degrees for medium rare, 145 degrees for medium, and 160 degrees for well done.

5. How should I carve my Rib Eye Roast?

It is best to let your Rib Eye Roast rest for 10-15 minutes before carving. This allows the juices to redistribute and results in a more tender and juicy roast. When carving, slice against the grain of the meat for the most tender and flavorful pieces.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • dannyzmom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies