• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Review: Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese

In summary, the recipe calls for a can of tuna, which gives it a great flavor and added protein. The leftovers ended up being thrown away because they were not liked due to the mashed squash texture.
legacypc46
Gold Member
(I thought I saw a thread on this already, but couldn't find it.) This recipe is from Volume II of 29 Minutes to Dinner.

I found this a fun, easy, fast (19 min), and cheap recipe to make. It was fun because I didn't tell DH what the secret ingrediant was: a package of cooked squash from the frozen food section. He absolutely hates squash.

He loves mac 'n cheese, so I was concerned he'd figure out the subterfuge right away. Nope. I waited until the fourth "man, this is good" before I spilled the beans (er, squash).

The final product is very very filling. We both loved it, but weren't interested in seconds. We also ended up adding more nutmeg and some pepper. Despite the cheese, it wasn't particulary high in fats...but it packs a whopping 500 calories per serving. Still, a great 'stick to your ribs' recipe for when it's cold outside and you need something quick and inexpensive.

whoa! 500 calories .. i dont have the cookbook yet but ill have to look at it when i do get to see what kind of substitutes can be made..

I plan to make it again next week, but with low-fat evaporated milk and reduced-fat Italian cheese blend this time. The recipe serves 6, but it's filling enough to get quite a few more servings out of it (and thereby reduce the calories per serving).

It'd also be great with a side of broccoli or other filling green vegetable. :)

I think the fat content is lower than typical mac n cheese because some of the cheese is replaced by squash, which would also make it more filling (because of the fiber). Even with that change, mac n cheese shouldn't be an everyday dish, because it's still not the healthiest choice. I thought this version sounded good - it's nice to hear that it is.

can you post the recipe??

Mac and Cheese is never considered a health food, but I'm sure this is a lot healthier than the norm. Squash, if not cooked to a liquid, is very good for you!

Thanks for doing all these reviews, Kris. It is much appreciated.

Thanks Deb. Making the recipes is helping me to reconnect with my business...I'm kinda starting over this month. :eek: (Seeing you all at Leadership was wonderfully motivating :love:)

cookin to the top said:
Mac and Cheese is never considered a health food, but I'm sure this is a lot healthier than the norm. Squash, if not cooked to a liquid, is very good for you!

Hey, who says???? I love Mac & Cheese, and you can do alot to make it good for you. Using things such as whole wheat macaroni, evaporated skim milk, laughing cow cheese, and a good side of vegetables (my personal fav with Mac & Cheese is green beans, but that's just me) can make it healthy and tasty.

Now I have to go and dig out that recipe.

I add half a can of tuna to mac & cheese (the boxed kind) for some great flavour and added protein.

I tricked my children into eating squash! bwa ha ha!!! I also waited until the yummy yummies were over and the bowls were empty before I let out the secret ingredient. We enjoyed this recipe.

It's funny that PC is using this recipe - it's a recipe from Jessica Seinfeld's book, Deceptively Delicious.

Based on when things go to print, I bet it was developed almost simultaneously with hers.

Maybe Jessica got her recipe from somewhere else... again. I've been putting spinach in my brownies for over 10 years, way before her cookbook came out.

doughmama said:
Maybe Jessica got her recipe from somewhere else... again. I've been putting spinach in my brownies for over 10 years, way before her cookbook came out.

In her cookbook she acknowledges that what she is doing is nothing new, and that moms have been doing it for years.

I just enjoyed the irony of PC using a recipe from her book, when she has been under so much fire for "stealing" recipes from someone else. I enjoy her book - it's well written, and has lots of good nutrition info for kids in there too.

If you google "Butternut Macaroni and Cheese Recipe" you get 53,900 hits - Looks like others have found this to be a good combination as well. Guess I should try it too :)

The flavor was good. But the texture was "off". (mushed squash texture for sure)

The leftovers ended up being thrown away. That is my true way of rating a recipe -- what happens to the leftovers.

This is not a winning recipe. Ok to try. Edible. But not one to be frequently made.

I think it merits making and maybe not sharing the 'secret'. DH was in tastebud heaven...but had he known before hand, it would have never made it to his plate.

1. What ingredients are included in the Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese mix?

The Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese mix includes dry elbow pasta, a cheese sauce mix, and a seasoning packet.

2. Is the Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese mix gluten-free?

Unfortunately, the Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese mix is not gluten-free as it contains pasta that is made from wheat flour.

3. How many servings does the Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese mix make?

The Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese mix makes approximately 8 servings.

4. Can I add additional ingredients to the Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese mix?

Yes, you can customize your mac and cheese by adding your favorite ingredients such as bacon, broccoli, or chicken.

5. How long does it take to prepare the Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese?

The Quick & Creamy Mac 'N Cheese takes about 15-20 minutes to prepare, making it a quick and easy meal option.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedCaniac
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kam
  • legacypc46
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • leftymac