• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recommended Book on Knife Skills

In summary, the book "Knife Skills Illustrated, A User's Manual" by Peter Hertzmann is highly recommended for those interested in food preparation. It covers various techniques and also includes information on how to hold knives properly. The author, who has years of experience as a cook and knife enthusiast, provides helpful insights without being pompous. The recommended knives are a Chef's Knife, Petite Paring Knife, Serrated Utility Knife, and Slicer. The book can be purchased for less than $20 on Amazon and is a valuable addition to any kitchen.
legacypc46
Gold Member
I bought a book recently that I'm really comfortable recommending for those who get into their food prep (okay, that be me:blushing: ). It's called Knife Skills Illustrated, A User's Manual by Peter Hertzmann. It retails for $30 :eek: , but I think I got a good deal thru Amazon.

Anyway, it is 200 pages of drawings depicting how to trim, cut, slice, dice, julien, etc just about everything under the sun. He also discusses how to hold knives and gives a lot of overall good info.

The most useful knives he recommends: a Chef's Knife and a Petite Paring Knife, followed by a Serrated Utility Knife (aka Bread Knife) and a Slicer (aka Carving Knife).

He does have 'opinions', but he has been a cook and knife afficianado for years. He isn't pompous about it...the writing reads like he actually wants to be helpful.

I think this is one of those books that will stay in my kitchen (versus on a bookshelf in the next room).

leggy

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing!
legacypc46 said:
I bought a book recently that I'm really comfortable recommending for those who get into their food prep (okay, that be me:blushing: ). It's called Knife Skills Illustrated, A User's Manual by Peter Hertzmann. It retails for $30 :eek: , but I think I got a good deal thru Amazon.

Anyway, it is 200 pages of drawings depicting how to trim, cut, slice, dice, julien, etc just about everything under the sun. He also discusses how to hold knives and gives a lot of overall good info.

The most useful knives he recommends: a Chef's Knife and a Petite Paring Knife, followed by a Serrated Utility Knife (aka Bread Knife) and a Slicer (aka Carving Knife).

He does have 'opinions', but he has been a cook and knife afficianado for years. He isn't pompous about it...the writing reads like he actually wants to be helpful.

I think this is one of those books that will stay in my kitchen (versus on a bookshelf in the next room).

leggy

Thanks for sharing :)
Liz

Thanks! I've been thinking about getting a book like that (since I can't find a short course locally).

It's less than $20 on Amazon. :) I wish my library had it. I think I'll go to a bookstore and look for it so I can see it first... but it sounds GREAT.

,I couldn't agree more about the importance of proper knife skills in the kitchen! It's amazing how much time and effort can be saved by knowing how to properly trim, cut, and slice ingredients. I have heard great things about Knife Skills Illustrated and have been meaning to add it to my collection. I'm glad to hear that it's been a valuable resource for you and I will definitely be checking it out now. It's always helpful to have a guide that not only explains the techniques, but also provides illustrations. Thanks for the recommendation! Happy cooking!

Related to Recommended Book on Knife Skills

1. What is the best book on knife skills recommended by Pampered Chef?

The recommended book on knife skills by Pampered Chef is "The Cook's Illustrated Guide to Knife Skills: How to Use, Sharpen, and Care for Your Most Important Kitchen Tool" by Cook's Illustrated.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners or only for experienced cooks?

This book is suitable for both beginners and experienced cooks. It covers all the basics of knife skills and also offers advanced techniques for those looking to improve their skills.

3. Can I purchase this book directly from Pampered Chef?

No, this book is not available for purchase directly from Pampered Chef. However, you can find it on major online retailers such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

4. Are there any video tutorials or demonstrations included in the book?

Yes, "The Cook's Illustrated Guide to Knife Skills" includes access to online videos that demonstrate the techniques and skills taught in the book. These videos are a great visual aid for learning and mastering knife skills.

5. Will this book teach me how to properly care for and maintain my knives?

Yes, this book not only covers knife skills but also includes information on how to care for and maintain your knives. This is essential for keeping your knives sharp and in good condition for years to come.

Back