• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ready to Learn How to Can and Freeze Fruits & Vegetables?

In summary, the author shared some tips for canning and freezing fruits and vegetables. She recommended using mix 'n chop, a classic batter bowl, and a salad & berry spinner. She also recommended using a clock timer and pot holders.
pattikake
I have been holding monthly cooking classes in my kitchen for the past 4 months, and yesterday's class was Canning & Freezing Fruits & Vegetables.

I was surprised at the number of products used for this particular class, so thought I would share some tips with you.

Mix 'n Chop - great for mashing up berries when making jam.
Classic Batter Bowl - perfect for holding pre-measured sugar for jam.
Prep Bowl - use to mix SureJell & Sugar for jam.
Salad & Berry Spinner - Use this for berries, and also when blanching vegetables like broccoli, this works wonders spinning it dry!
Forged Cutlery - for cutting up veggies like green peppers prior to freezing.
Clock Timer - obviously!
Cooling Rack - to display your canned veggies and jams!
Pot holders -
Mini spatula - use to get the air out of canning jars when filling with vegetables and hot liquid.
Measuring cups and spoons -

Good points to make with guests during these summer food processing months.

Patti

LOL, I used the mix & masher to do the berries the last time I made jam. :)Thanks for sharing this!

I use the stainless steel bowls for jam making. The strainer to strain berry seeds out. The cookware to boil the water for jars. The ss sauce pans for pickle brine. Just to add my two cents! LOL!

Be careful using the mini serving spatula to release air bubbles. They say you want to avoid using metal in the jars. The 'pinging' of th metal to glass can weaken the jar and cause them to crack during processing.

chefcharity said:
Be careful using the mini serving spatula to release air bubbles. They say you want to avoid using metal in the jars. The 'pinging' of th metal to glass can weaken the jar and cause them to crack during processing.

Ooops .. I meant the skinny scraper!

pattikake said:
Ooops .. I meant the skinny scraper!

OH! Then that is perfect!! LOL!! I might use this idea, a can a lot and when I talk about it at my shows people always say they wish they could but don't know how. This would be great!

1. Can I use regular jars for canning and freezing?

It is not recommended to use regular jars for canning and freezing as they may not be heat resistant and can shatter when exposed to high temperatures. It is important to use jars specifically designed for canning and freezing, such as Mason jars, to ensure safe and successful preservation of food.

2. How do I know if my canned or frozen food is safe to eat?

It is important to follow proper canning and freezing guidelines and procedures to ensure food safety. If the food has been properly processed, sealed, and stored in a cool, dry place, it should be safe to eat. However, it is always recommended to check for any signs of spoilage, such as mold or unusual odors, before consuming.

3. Can I can or freeze any type of food?

Not all foods are suitable for canning or freezing. Some foods, such as dairy products, may not hold up well in the canning or freezing process and can spoil quickly. It is important to research which foods are safe and suitable for preservation before attempting to can or freeze them.

4. How long can I store canned or frozen food?

The shelf life of canned or frozen food varies depending on the type of food and the storage conditions. In general, canned food can last for up to 1 year, while frozen food can last for several months. It is important to check the expiration dates and storage guidelines for each specific food item.

5. Can I reuse jars for canning and freezing?

Jars that have been previously used for canning and freezing may not be safe to use again. The jars may have been weakened or damaged during the previous use, and may not be able to withstand the high temperatures and pressure required for proper preservation. It is recommended to use new jars for each canning and freezing process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
katem51
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies