• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring Ratio Baking: Has Anyone Tried It?

In summary, ratio baking is a method of baking that uses ratios instead of precise measurements for ingredients. It offers more flexibility and creativity in recipes and is easier to scale and substitute ingredients. While most recipes can be converted to ratio-based recipes, it may not always result in the desired outcome. No special tools are needed for ratio baking, but a kitchen scale can be helpful. Common mistakes include not understanding the ratios and adjusting to the different texture and flavor of baked goods. The benefits of ratio baking include increased flexibility and creativity, a better understanding of the science behind baking, and time-saving.
NooraK
Gold Member
Something interesting I discovered the other day, although I haven't had a chance to try it. A blog I checked out the other day (This Is Reverb) talked about a book called Ratio by Michael Ruhlman. The idea is that rather than following recipes, a lot of basic doughs follow a certain ratio of ingredients. The author of the book has posted a chart on his website:

http://ruhlman.com/files/dough-and-batter-ratios.pdf

Has anyone else ever used this type of method? I'd be curious how easy it is. Of course, if I had a kitchen scale that measured in grams, I'm sure it'd be a cinch, but I don't, so... Maybe I'll try it soon. But not this weekend, I need to make a cake for Markus's birthday, and that's not a time to start experimenting!

I've never heard of it before, but it makes sense. I'm keeping the chart in case I get adventurous.

My dad has set up something like this for muffins, which I call the Muffin Matrix. It makes a lot of sense because it gives you the freedom to scale the recipe up or down, and use whatever ingredients you want. I'm going to try this one too!

1. What is ratio baking and how does it differ from traditional baking?

Ratio baking is a method of baking where ingredients are measured in ratios rather than specific quantities. This allows for more flexibility and creativity in recipes, as well as easier scaling and substituting of ingredients. It differs from traditional baking where precise measurements are typically required for successful results.

2. Can any recipe be converted to a ratio-based recipe?

While most recipes can be converted to ratio-based recipes, it may not always result in the desired outcome. Some recipes may be better suited for traditional baking methods, so it's important to carefully consider the ingredients and techniques involved before attempting to convert a recipe to ratio baking.

3. Are there any specific tools or equipment needed for ratio baking?

No, you do not need any special tools or equipment for ratio baking. However, having a kitchen scale can be helpful for accurately measuring ingredients in ratios. Other than that, basic baking tools such as mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, and an oven are all you need.

4. Are there any common mistakes or challenges when using ratio baking?

One common mistake is not understanding the ratios and how they work together. It's important to understand the role each ingredient plays in a recipe and how they should be proportioned. Another challenge can be adjusting to the different texture and flavor of ratio-based baked goods, as they may not be the same as traditional recipes.

5. Are there any benefits to using ratio baking?

Yes, there are several benefits to using ratio baking. It allows for more flexibility and creativity in recipes, as well as easier scaling and substituting of ingredients. It also helps to develop a better understanding of the science behind baking and can lead to more consistent results. Additionally, ratio baking can save time and effort as it eliminates the need for measuring out precise quantities of ingredients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMoore
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kspry
  • flemings99
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mountainmama74
  • cochef