1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Ratio Cooking

1. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

Something interesting I discovered the other day, although I haven't had a chance to try it. A blog I checked out the other day (This Is Reverb) talked about a book called Ratio by Michael Ruhlman. The idea is that rather than following recipes, a lot of basic doughs follow a certain ratio of ingredients. The author of the book has posted a chart on his website:

Ratio Chart

Has anyone else ever used this type of method? I'd be curious how easy it is. Of course, if I had a kitchen scale that measured in grams, I'm sure it'd be a cinch, but I don't, so... Maybe I'll try it soon. But not this weekend, I need to make a cake for Markus's birthday, and that's not a time to start experimenting!

May 22, 2009
  2. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I've never heard of it before, but it makes sense. I'm keeping the chart in case I get adventurous.

May 22, 2009
  3. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

My dad has set up something like this for muffins, which I call the Muffin Matrix. It makes a lot of sense because it gives you the freedom to scale the recipe up or down, and use whatever ingredients you want. I'm going to try this one too!

May 22, 2009
Have something to add?